Alexandra House

Marine Parade, Dovercourt, Harwich CO12 3JY

Alexandra House, Harwich, Essex

Alexandra House combines professional residential care with a friendly environment, with personally tailored care packages and staff dedicated to a 24-hour service.

The aim is to help individuals achieve a fulfilling later life, with peace of mind and security, a respect for personal interests and a person-centred direction to all care provision.

With the property having been converted from a private hotel, Alexandra House residents enjoy scenic grounds, including views of the seafront, and an interior adapted to suit reduced mobility.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Person in charge: Vanessa Pratt (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 47 residents

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Alexandra House: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Alexandra House is based on 39 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.734 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.734 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.734 for Alexandra House is based on 39 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.734 for Alexandra House is calculated as follows: ( (363 Excellents x 5) + (84 Goods x 4) + (20 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 467 Ratings = 4.734

The Quantity Score of 5 for Alexandra House is calculated as follows:

3. (39 Positive Reviews ÷ 47 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.660 (maximum score = 1)

I am happy here at it is right by the sea. My granddaughter visits me every week and we go out for lunch. I have my hair done every week by my old hairdresser who always remarks on how lovely it is here which I agree with !!

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 10 Jun 2016:

It is lovely to hear how happy you are living by the sea at Alexandra House. I will ensure your comments are shared with our team.

Staff are always friendly and will sing songs to me. I love music therapy and going to the in house hairdresser. My weekly treat is buying sweets from the trolley shop.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for kind words regarding Alexandra House. I am so pleased to hear that you love the music therapy sessions carried out on a weekly basis at our home.

I am very happy here, my family can visit me everyday and are always made to feel welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 01 Jun 2016:

We are so pleased to see by your comments that you are happy at Alexandra House. We do appreciate that having family that are able to visit, means so much to any resident and we are delighted that the home is able to make all those who visit, made to feel welcome.

I have a lovely room overlooking the sea and my wife has now moved in, so that brings me great comfort knowing she is here.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 11 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience so far of Alexandra House. I am so pleased that you are enjoying the views from one of our lovely sea view rooms. I will share your comments with our team.

I have been lucky enough to move into Alexandra House to be with my husband. I have a fantastic room overlooking the sea and the staff have been very nice. The food is good and if my husband is unable to make it to the dining room, we can have our meals together in his room. There is a good activity programme but we have yet to attend as my husband does not always feel up to this. Overall I am very happy to be here at Alexandra House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Your feedback regarding Alexandra House is much appreciated. I am really pleased to hear that you are happy with the Home. I will ensure your comments are shared with our team.

I am so pleased to have finally moved into Alexandra House. It was a big decision for me to make but I am positive it was the right one. Being able to bring in my own furniture from my home, is a really big comfort for me, so it continues to feel like a home from home. I am positive that I will enjoy living here.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your experiences to date at Alexandra House. I am so pleased so hear that your have settled in to your new Home. With very best wishes from all at Alexandra House.

Fantastic views- good care are provided and always felt welcome. My aunt was there for respite and she really enjoyed her stay- staff made it positive for my aunt to return home with their support as she regained her confidence- our one and only choice of where we wanted her to stay. Thank you Alexandra House and also MHA.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 13 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experiences of Alexandra House. I am so pleased that your Aunt’s respite stay with us was so successful. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our staff team.

Very happy with everything.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 29 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments regarding Alexandra House. I am pleased to hear that you are very happy with all aspects of our service. Your feedback will be shared with the team.

The staff are very good with my mother and patient as she can be very awkward at times.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 11 Jan 2016:

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you feel we are very good with your Mother. I will pass on your comments to the staff team.

Impressed all round with the home, staff and services provided. Staff always on hand to help and offer comfort and support. Good local links to GP, nurses etc. Good menu choices and activity programmes.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 11 Dec 2015:

Thank you for your feedback regarding Alexandra House. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with our team.

My mother is still a resident at Alexandra House and my father lived there until his death in December 2014 aged 95. My mother receives very good care. The staff and management are very friendly and welcoming and make me feel welcome when I visit. Any small concerns are quickly dealt with. I feel confident that both my parents have received excellent care and would recommend this care home without hesitation.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your feedback regarding Alexandra House and in particular regarding the care that your Mother receives. I will ensure that this is shared with the team.

Lovely home and lovely staff. Sadly I did not stay for long as I had to move to be near my family. I enjoyed my time there, lovely fellow residents, good services and enjoyable activities. The food was outstanding with lots of choice on offer. Nothing was too much trouble. If I had to move back to the area Alexandra House would be my first and only choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 09 Dec 2015:

Thank you for your comments regarding Alexandra House. I am so pleased to hear that you were fully satisfied with our service and that we would be your first and only choice if you were to move back to the area. Hope you are settling well in your new home.

Warm caring home. Excellent management. Good food. Excellent facilities for a visitor kitchen where we could eat together with dad. Wish there would have been more time for staff to help him walk. He was good at refusing exercises as he did not want to create more fuss.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 25 Nov 2015:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team at Alexandra House. I am sorry that you feel staff did not have enough time to walk with your relative. Your feedback is important and I will discuss with this with the team so that we can look at ways to better support all our residents.

The care is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 23 Nov 2015:

I am so pleased to hear that you feel the care is excellent at Alexandra House. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be shared with the staff team.

My aunt has been at Alexandra House for 3 and a half years. She went to live there after being very ill and being unable to look after herself at home. At the time Alexandra House was re opening as a new purpose built home. So the building has all the necessary facilities which are modern and it has very pleasant views over the town and the sea. The best thing though is the staff. They were extremely helpful through a difficult settling period for my aunt. The manager and staff were particularly helpful to me in reassuring me that they would do everything to make my aunts life as comfortable and enjoyable as possible and to make sure that her needs are met. They have done this on an on going basis- important to me as I live a long way away and can only visit every few weeks. I am also very pleased with MHA which runs Alexandra House. As a non profit organisation they provide excellent value for money and their changes are transparent. They also state that they have never asked a resident to move because the local authority will not pay full fees. As the future of payments for care is so unclear, this is very important and I feel I can trust MHA. I can whole heartedly recommend MHA and Alexandra House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 12 Nov 2015:

Thank you for your comments regarding Alexandra House and how helpful the team at the Home have been to yourself and your Aunt. Your feedback is much appreciated and I will ensure that it is shared with the team.

My opinion of Alexander is very high. My mother is a resident there and is extremely well looked after. The care staff are mainly all very kind, thoughtful and nothing is too much trouble. The office/admin staff are extremely efficient and ensured that moving mu mum into the home which was very emotional was done in a very calm and sensitive way. The manager is excellent and whether dealing with residents or staff is always very compassionate. There are two carers that are both very efficient and have help me immensely.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 03 Nov 2015:

Thank you for feedback regarding Alexandra House. I am glad to hear that your Mother’s move into the Home was supported in a calm and sensitive manner. Your feedback is appreciated regarding the whole staff team and I will ensure that this is passed on to them.

My mother-in-law has been in Alexandra House for three months now and has settled in very well. She was very ill when she left hospital but is now improving and feeling much better in herself. The care she is receiving from the home cannot be faulted. The staff at all levels are very kind, caring and professional. I would not hesitate to recommend Alexandra House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 19 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of Alexandra House. I am glad to hear that your mother-in-law is improving since leaving hospital and moving to our home. I will ensure that your comments regarding the staff team are shared with them.

My mum moved into Alexandra House in July 2012. She had been in hospital and was very very poorly and low. On arriving at Alexandra House to a lovely room with her familiar things around her it lifted her spirits. Mum is bedridden and cannot do anything for herself. Although her situation hasn't changed she is happier and improving. The staff are all kind and caring and take care of all her needs. They treat her with dignity and are friendly and cheerful. There is always a warm welcome and homely atmosphere at Alexandra House and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for recommending Alexandra House and in particular your feedback regarding our staff team. I will ensure that comments are shared with them.

I am very happy and satisfied living here. I couldn't be in a nicer place. I have a lovely room overlooking the sea.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 16 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that Alexandra House couldn’t be a nicer place and how happy you are.

I moved here from sheltered accommodation and I am glad I made this decision.

Thank you for comments and am pleased that you are glad you made the decision to move in to Alexandra House.

My once very close friend lived at Alexandra House and was always treated with dignity and respect. The home was very welcoming to visitors and regardless of the time and the staff were very helpful. I visited many times and I would highly recommend Alexandra House. Bonus is a great location with fantastic views.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 13 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback and for recommending Alexandra House. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team.

My dad couldn't be in a better home, the position of the home by the sea. Good food, care etc..

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated. I am pleased to hear that you are pleased with the Home and in particular the care received and our food. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the staff team.

Continuing support appropriate to relatives independence. The standard of the cooking and variety of meals is much praised and appreciated, with the chef and team responding to residents request. Care is non intrusive. Office/administrative staff always friendly and approachable. Plenty of information supplied.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 08 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experiences at Alexandra House. I will ensure that your feedback is communicated to our team.

I prefer to be in my home as I miss my home but I can't think of a better place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 06 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you still miss your home but pleased that you are happy at Alexandra House. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team.

Lovely room with a sea view and the big plus is en-suite with own shower - brilliant. Some interesting groups, some good spiritual input. Some of the carers are really lovely and volunteers here are excellent and really helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 05 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments regarding Alexandra House. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our staff team.

Very pleased with mum's care. All ok

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 29 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am so glad that you are very pleased with your mum's care. I will make sure the staff are aware of your comments as they will be delighted to received such positive feedback.

The care and support given to both my mother (resident) and us was excellent. We were involved in all decisions made and were always kept well informed as regards her care. My mother's end of life care could not be faulted and everything was done to make her (and us) as comfortable as possible and this made her passing easier to cope with. I would like to thank the staff of Alexandra House for making it a 'home from home' for my mother, who enjoyed the time she spent there immensely.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 27 Aug 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience of Alexandra House. Your feedback is much appreciated and I will ensure that this is communicated to the staff team.

My mother suffered a stroke in November 2014. At this time I visited Alexandra House and was impressed by the home and its staff. The manager and a senior member of staff visited mum in hospital to assess her requirements. She moved into the home as a high dependency resident just before Christmas. She made good progress initially with physiotherapy provided by the staff, supported by NHS physiotherapists, but the effects of the stroke, old age, profound deafness and failing eyesight were too much and she faded away dying a month after her 95th birthday. There was a service of commemoration at the home which was lovely. Throughout her all too short stay mum was treated with affection, patience and dignity. The staff were always helpful and supportive throughout mums final days, I cannot fault the compassion and professionalism of everyone at Alexandra House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 26 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that the staff are always friendly and helpful. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team at Alexandra House.

I am regularly in visiting my mother and staff are always friendly and helpful. On this particular occasion my sister came to visit my mother to take her out for a walk and the staff had got her ready and waiting for my sister when she arrived. They had a good few hours out and both enjoyed it. When she returned the staff helped put mum back into bed as she was quite tired.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of Alexandra House and especially regarding the staff team. Thank you. I will ensure that your comments are shared with them.

Alexandra House is a Methodist home so it has church services which my mother enjoyed. The home is well run and the carers are very kind. My mother recently passed on, she had dementia and the last few week were horrible for her, her own Dr was unhelpful and so were the district nurses, not wanting to be seen to help someone on their way with medication. The staff in the home are also bogged down with red tape, regulations and paperwork but I think my mum was happy to be at Alexandra House and it was probably the best thing we were able to do for her. I would recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 01 Sep 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences at Alexandra House. I am sorry to hear that you feel the staff are bogged down with paperwork but pleased that you feel your Mum was happy living at Alexandra House and you would recommend the home.

The home used to have a full activities programme but since the coordinator left there has been little stimulation and no outside activities. The indoor activities i.e. cards, bingo, keep fit have been non existent. This needs to be addressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Likely

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments regarding Alexandra House. I am disappointed to hear that you feel the activities programme has reduced since our Activities Co-ordinator has left. I can confirm that we are currently in the process of recruiting to this post and it is hoped that the new Activities Co-ordinator will be with us very soon. In the meantime we will continue to ensure that a member of staff is allocated to run activity sessions between 10-12 each morning. Thank you again for your feedback.

I was so pleased that dad was able to spend his last years at Alexandra House. The staff were great, always friendly and happy to help. The whole ethos was one of gentle care with a smile, something that applies to both management and carers alike. Having used other homes,Alexandra House showed how care should be done. My only regret was that I didn't get him there sooner.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 17 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your kind words regarding the care and ethos at Alexandra House. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the staff team.

My mother enjoyed her time at Alexandra House. She was welcomed and made to feel at home. She was treated well and in a very friendly manner by all the staff. She enjoyed the food and service. She particularly liked the services and the work of the Chaplain and benefited from the link with the church. She participated in outings. The home dealt with her stroke and got her to hospital quickly.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 12 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your feedback regarding Alexandra House and the care your mother received. I am so glad that she was made to feel at home. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team.

My uncle chose Alexandra House for its sea views. We were very impressed with the care taken in meeting his needs - for broadband connection and somewhere to keep his mobility scooter, as well as storage for his favourite food items in the residents and visitors kitchen. He had freedom to come and go as he wished. He said that the three months he spent at Alexandra House were the happiest time of his 90 year life, apart from his wedding day! The care and interest of every member of staff was evident from his first visit there, right through to the beautiful memorial gathering held in the home led by the chaplain.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how impressed you are with Alexandra House. It is great to hear such praise ranging from the care taken in meeting your Uncle’s needs through to the services offered by our Chaplain. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team.

My uncle who is 93 went to Alexandra House in April this year, he hadn't long lost his twin brother, also he has been in hospital with a broken leg, also he can't see or hear very well. When he arrived at Alexandra House the staff made him very welcome, which helped him to settle into his new home well. I certainly would recommend Alexandra House to my family and friends. The staff are always so helpful and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble.

Thank you for your kind words regarding Alexandra House. I am glad that the staff made your Uncle feel welcome and he has settled in well. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team.

I have found all of the staff at Alexandra House to be very caring, sympathetic, friendly and patient. You can approach them at any time with a question and know it will be dealt with at point of contact, and if not they will find someone who can. Nothing seems too much trouble for them. I highly recommend Alexandra House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 07 Aug 2015:

Thank you for kind words regarding the staff at Alexandra House. I am really glad to hear that the staff are approachable and able to respond to any questions that you may have. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the team.

My sister in law has been in Alexandra House over 3 years now, having been cared for so well, she is well looked after, every comfort and she loves it. She loves the entertainment and all the staff as a family we really couldn't wish for a better place for her to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 30 Jul 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to express your appreciation for the care your sister in law receives at Alexandra House. I will pass on your comments to the staff who will be delighted to receive your feedback.

This is a lovely place. Beautiful setting sunny and on the sea front. The staff are gentle, kind and caring. Rooms and facilities are brilliant.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

My mother was resident at Alexandra House for 4 years before passing away in May. During this time her care was of the highest standard. The staff regardless of rank were professional and extremely cheerful, helpful and caring. I cannot fault the home in any aspect and would recommend it highly to friends and relatives.

Submit a Review for Alexandra House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Alexandra House

There are no jobs posted yet for Alexandra House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Alexandra House