The Island Residential Home

114 Leysdown Road, Leysdown-on-Sea, Sheerness ME12 4LH

The Island Residential Home, Sheerness, Kent

The Island Residential Home is a purpose built care home registered with the Care Quality Commission for the provision of Residential Care.
The home is based in Leysdown on Sea on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent and has been a registered care home under the same ownership since 1986.
The home is dual registered for both older people with 24 beds and people with a physical disability (18-65yrs) with 20 beds. The ground floor of the building is used for people with a physical disability and the first floor is used for older people.

The core business is to provide residential care for both male and females who are either older people with age related health issues or adults with physical disabilities or have sensory impairment.

The home accepts service users for long term, short term, respite and emergency care but does not provide formal nursing care.

Owner: The Island Residential Home

Person in charge: Baily Dhaliwal (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kent County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 38 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Substance Misuse • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Asperger Syndrome • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Panjabi, Punjabi

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £560 – £750 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £504 – £650

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on The Island Residential Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for The Island Residential Home is based on 22 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.598 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.598 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.598 for The Island Residential Home is based on 22 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.598 for The Island Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (186 Excellents x 5) + (55 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 264 Ratings = 4.598

The Quantity Score of 5 for The Island Residential Home is calculated as follows:

3. (22 Positive Reviews ÷ 38 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.158 (maximum score = 1)

I think that it is good here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Island Residential Home? Extremely Likely

B Dhaliwal, Care Manager at The Island Residential Home responded to this review on 22 Apr 2016:

As a long-term resident, we are pleased we can still achieve these standards for you.

I am very happy here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Island Residential Home? Likely

I feel that I have good and bad days but I am reasonably happy.

Safety / Security: Poor

Sorry that you find two of our standards poor. We work closely with an activities coordinator to provide services for our whole client group and we utilise outside agencies dependant on client specific needs.

We are a secure unit and clients can access common areas with freedom. Clients can ask for bedroom keys which are offered at move in and then on request.

I feel that sometimes the home is average and could be better.

Facilities: Poor

Management: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

B Dhaliwal, care mananger at The Island Residential Home responded to this review on 13 Apr 2016:

We are pleased that your overall standard is satisfactory but we are sorry that you feel there are some standards that are poor. We are currently working hard to improve facilities and have invested in some major improvements. The Management Team are happy to work directly with any personal issues of concern you may have and that as a current resident, you will always be a priority for care and interaction.

After 20 years it is still okay, I am still here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Island Residential Home? Likely

I enjoy it here it is a friendly place to live.

I think it is very good and I love all the work that is being done. I am so happy here.

My mother has only just moved into this home, I looked at other homes, some were much more modern and looked like a new hotel but lacked the personal touch, others were shabby and not very nice, The Island home is homely and very clean, the staff are welcoming and willing to help at every opportunity, I know this will be a difficult transition for my mum but was pleased to leave her in friendly hands.

I would highly recommend this care home to friends and family. The care that my brother has received is as if he is part of their family. On arrival you are made to feel welcome. The staff are always friendly and happy to see you. Tea or coffee is offered, its a nice and homely atmosphere. The residents can keep their individuality which is good. I have never had to make a comment about cleanliness or smell! Great.

I am more than satisfied with the home. Elsie receives good care from the carers. The food is very good and her room is kept clean. On the whole she is happy with her care.

I was in a bad way before I came here, I used to drink alcohol and take drugs. I never ate much food. Now I eat properly, don't take drugs or drink alcohol. The staff are like nagging wives but it's good. I now have friends as friends and not what they can get out of me, like my last lot of friends. My room is always cleaned as well.

All staff are very helpful, nothing is too much trouble, you only have to ask.

I have lived here for many years. My sister speaks to me on Skype which makes me happy because she lives in Africa. I made decisions to how I have my room and the food is good. We have barbeque's in the summer, I enjoy those.

Very good home, good service, pleasant and profession staff who are always polite and willing to help. Home itself is clean with lots on offer for all people with disabilities.

I am happy with my room, I choose the paint colours. I was able to choose my own furniture and fittings. I have all my nice things on my shelves, very happy with everything.

From the care and attention dealing with residents I would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely home to anyone should I need full-time care my self. I cannot think of a better place to see out my years. Food is excellent, I have tried it.

We have always been very happy with the care and compassion extended in the time he has been at this home and have every confidence this will continue.

I have lived here many years and have never needed to complain, that must say something for the home and the care provided as well as support.

I used to come to the Island for respite and then moved in. I think the staff are wonderful and now I have a grandson, I feel happier with my life and take each day as it comes.

07759 128441

This home has been wonderful to my mother, they all care for extremely well. They keep us informed of any changes as soon as they can. She has recently had a lot of health problems and they have gone the extra mile for mum and for us. We feel confident in their ability to see to mum's needs, they are part of our family. I can't be happier with everyone here.

Before I came to this home, I was in my own flat but kept hurting myself. Now I'm here I feel safe and the carers are very helpful. The food is lovely and my room is how I like it with my family photos around me. I'm very happy here.

I have never felt so welcome in this home. I used to live on my own and not see anyone for days. The staff are kind to me and the food is wonderful. I have no complaints.

Submit a Review for The Island Residential Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Island Residential Home

There are no jobs posted yet for The Island Residential Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Island Residential Home