Longlands, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Longlands is registered for forty-eight residents and offers a team of skilled and friendly carers, able to provide care for older people and adults with dementia or a physical disability, while also being able to offer day care.

Care homes from The Orders of St John Care Trust are well respected in Lincolnshire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire where the voluntary sector charity has a strong presence after seeing healthy growth since it first opened homes in 1992.

All residents are supported in the pursuit of active lifestyle and personal interests, while benefitting from a care philosophy that prioritises dignity and independence alongside health, safety and security.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Vilma Collaku (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 48 residents

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Longlands: click here

9.9 Longlands has a Review Score of 9.9 (9.917)

The Review Score of 9.9 (maximum of 10) for Longlands is based on 56 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.917 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.917 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

• The maximum Review Score for a care home / service is 10 and it is based on the published Reviews in the last 2 years. When a Review is submitted by someone who has previously submitted a Review, only the latest Review will count towards the Review Score.

The Review Score of 9.917 for Longlands is based on 56 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.917 for Longlands is calculated as follows: ( (624 Excellents x 5) + (40 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 672 Ratings = 4.917

The Quantity Score of 5 for Longlands is calculated as follows:

3. (55 Positive Reviews ÷ 48 Registered Beds) x 2 = 2.292 (maximum score = 1)

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Longlands?

Reviewer Connection to Longlands

The Overall Average of all the Ratings in the following

48 Reviews* is 4.9 out of 5

*The Average Rating only uses ratings from the 48 reviews. Ratings from the 8 recommendations are not used for the Average Rating as the rating options were limited to Excellent, Good and Satisfactory.

Whenever I have visited my brother he always seems happy. The staff are very approachable if there are any concerns. It is a very friendly community and I always come away knowing that my brother is in safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Likely

Mum became a resident at Longlands in June 2016. The staff look after her, care about her welfare and do their very best to ensure her safety and well-being. If you have a problem, they want to help, discuss and put effective care solutions in place to fix it. This care home is a caring, family, as well as a home. Keep up the great work.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Edna will never move from Longlands. Will never move to go to another place. Edna enjoys the activities. Edna gets her freedom, the staff are there for her. Would never change this home for any other posh place. Edna also said she is happy with the menu, there are choices available. The activity lady organises trips and takes residents out, including Edna.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

All together I am really happy that my sister is here at Longlands, it has put my mind at rest. The food always looks good. I like to hear that she goes out from time to time and to the seaside. My sister is always very happy when I come to visit her, which makes me very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

The home is excellent, the staff I have met are all very nice and very supportive, the room I am staying in is ideal, the home is very clean, I am very happy with the meals I have here. The breakfast I got was exactly what I wanted and the same for lunch. I am enjoying my short stay here.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

The home is lovely, all the staff are all very nice and helpful, I like my room and get given choices all the time. I enjoy taking part in some activities. I enjoyed zoo lab coming in and seeing all the animals. I really enjoy living at Longlands.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I have lived at Longlands for a while now, I enjoy one to one activities, I have taken part in some of the trips that are provided but now have decided not to take part in any. I am very happy with the meals I have and I am always given the choice. My family are always made welcome and stay for meals. The manager is very nice and is always there for me if I need to talk, all the staff are very nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I have lived at Longlands for about six months now, I have enjoyed my time here and my family are always welcome. The food is excellent. I like to take part in some activities, myself and friends that I have made in Longlands won first prize in the country for button hole making and second prize for our lemon drizzle cake that we made. The staff that I know are always very nice and caring, they will do anything for you. I am very happy here.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I think the home is lovely, there is nowhere better. The staff are very good, very thoughtful and very kind, they always listen to you if you have anything to say, all the meals I have had are very good everything is so good, I enjoy spending time with other people that live in the home and activities with the robot seal paro, I am only staying for a month and hope to come back and stay again every time.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Everyone seems very helpful. I have never had any problems. I am very happy here, the food is excellent. I have enjoyed trips to the local coffee morning and wildlife park. I really enjoy these trips. I join most activities and help around the home, the home manager is really helpful and always there if you need her.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

The staff are very friendly and helpful. I took part in the summer fun day outing, which I enjoyed, dressing as the Queen. The entertainers and some energy. They really went to town. I take part in some activities and like to spend time in my room. The Manager is always very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I am very happy living in Longlands. My family are always made to feel very welcome by all the staff. The food is first class, even though I only eat a little bit. I enjoy the shows and sometimes go to the local coffee morning. I am very happy here.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

The staff always work really hard. I enjoy the mealtimes at Longlands. I take part in some activities. I have enjoyed the trips to the seaside and the pub.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Longlands and the staff are excellent nothing is to much trouble, the manager is very nice and helpful. Since living here I take part in local coffee morning friendlies. I went to the Summer fun day where I dressed up and went on two seaside trips to Southsea and Bournemouth and was able to bring my family. I really like it here and meeting new friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I am a wheelchair user, I enjoy coming to Longlands, it is wheelchair friendly. The toilets are excellent. The staff here are really friendly and helpful. I always look forward to my next visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

For just over two years I have been volunteering at the local primary school. I like to join in activities sometimes. All the staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble. I can always speak to the manager if I need too. All the food is lovely. I couldn't ask for a better home from home.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

It is all very nice here, I like my room. All the staff are very nice. I like to join in some activities. I really the making of me and shows, I am very happy here.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Since I have lived at Longlands I have made lots of friends and enjoy my time here. I even went to the seaside trip with my daughter joining, which I didn't think I would be able to do. The food is very nice, all the staff are too. The manager is always there.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I have only been at Longlands for a short time. I have enjoyed my time here. I am looked after well, I have been on a trip to Bournemouth and to the pub. All the staff are very good. I feel I can talk to them and ask them anything I need to.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Always a friendly welcome. Clean and comfortable, a pleasure to visit. My friend is very lucky to have a place in Longlands

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I am very well looked after and really like the home. I have my room how I like it with my things from home. My family are always made to feel welcome and I enjoy seaside trips and local coffee mornings, some of my old school friends live here too, small world, very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I am very happy that my mother is living and cared for so well in Longlands. The staff there are second to none! Nothing is ever too much trouble for them. All of them go the extra mile to make sure the residents are happy and well looked after. The manager is always there if she is needed and the care team is a credit to her and themselves. Always lots of activities going on which is a credit to the lady who organises it all. Well done everyone at Longlands.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

All the staff are very good, they always help. I can always talk to the manager if I would like to. The home is spotless, the house keepers take me out after lunch every day, they say "come on we'll go out and get some flowers." I enjoy my food here, it is really good. I enjoy taking part in some activities like Holy Communions and target games. I have made plenty of friends here. I am very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I have made friends at Longlands and joined the local coffee morning in the community. I sometimes take part in activities but like to spend my time reading books. I am very happy here and with the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Longlands is very very good. I am very happy here. I enjoyed a trip to the seaside and I like taking part in the local coffee morning every Wednesday. I am looking forward to our next seaside trip later this month. The staff are very good and very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law has been a resident in Longlands for the past 15 months. My wife and I are very satisfied with the home. The home is clean, comfortable and cosy. The staff are wonderful, caring, understanding and very supportive to the residents and families. Always lots of activities and outings for the residents to take part in. All in all a very clean, happy and friendly home, it's like one big happy family there.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

My first visit to Longland Care home was April 2016. I have been living on Cuddesdon Way fifty years and walked past the care home many times. My first visit was very nice everyone was very kind and I had a nice cup of tea and cake. The room was very well decorated with some very nice pictures on the walls. The residents are well looked after and seemed well looked after and quite happy. I hope to visit again soon. So good luck Longlands and all the very best.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I came to Longlands to stay for a while. Since I have been here, I have really enjoyed here. I have enjoyed the show and activities I have taken part in. All the staff have been really good to me. The head of care managers are always there if I need to talk. I would like to stay at Longlands again if I need to or can.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Longlands in my opinion is an extremely well run happy home. The Manager and her staff deserve to be rewarded for all the extra effort they give to make this care home a home.
Mum is very well cared for, happy, and yes at times she will say "don't you leave me here" but as she has dementia she doesn't understand that she can no longer live in her own home, and I know she is safe , happy and well looked after she is treated with dignity allowed to make choices and is always listened to
I understand that several staff have just won some local awards well over due.
No care home is ever going to replace your loved ones own home but Longlands comes close. My one issue is that Longlands does not have their own transport to enable mum to go out on their organised trips. This should be any area that The Orders of St John's gives some priority to so that all the elderly if they desire, and regardless of their mobility can enjoy all the activities that the Manager and her hardworking staff organise

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Our mother has been a resident of Longlands for the last few years. It was a very difficult decision to put her into care but as much as we tried, we simply could not cope with her Alzheimer's. We as a family could not speak more highly of the care and attention she has received during that time. The staff are always happy and welcoming. They are always ready for a chat to keep the family informed of her progress. We have already told them that if we were to need care in the future, then Longlands would be our first choice! Well done Longlands you are so much appreciated by us all.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I'm happy to say my grandmother is very happy here. the staff are very polite and helpful to the residents. The treat residents with love and understanding to all their needs. I wouldn't want my grandmother to go anywhere else. She is 90 now and Longlands is her home. The trips out and things they do for the residents is great. They involve them in as much as they can. I'm very happy with the out come of Longlands.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I find this a very caring home. There is a lot of activities provided by the activities coordinator. Some residents come to our coffee morning on a Wednesday which they enjoy. I visit a school on Tuesdays which at least two residents attend, this keeps them in touch with the younger generation. They have been on a trip to Southsea. Hold regular coffee sessions where the public can attend. My mother in law is in a home, I wish she could be at Longlands but at 103 is too much for her to be moved. I cannot find any faults.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Longlands for nearly six years now. All the staff love and care for her so well, our family are all so grateful we were able to choose Longlands for her to live. We are so pleased when she was taken to the seaside recently and was shown lots of photos of her having a wonderful time, she has always loved going to the coast. At 96 years of age Longlands have made her twilight years really special, so thank you to everyone involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

This care home is excellent. The staff are absolutely brilliant. The care home is in lovely condition and always smells fresh. My mother is always clean, well cared for, and dressed nicely. I could not ask for more.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

My mother has lived at Longlands in Oxford for 5 and a half years now, from the very first day we felt the staff were warm and welcoming to mum and to our family. Mum has dementia and is 96 years old, she is always clean, well dressed, and very content.
My brothers and sisters all visit regularly as do grandchildren and friends. We feel very lucky that mum is so well looked after by all the staff at Longlands, we can't thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Mum has lived at Longlands for about 8 months now, the care that she gets is excellent. I visit regularly and on Wednesdays my sister and I stay for lunch as enjoy the food and the company. I also help with activities. I feel very happy with my mum settling fast. I look forward to joining my mum on outings and cannot wait for the mini bus and it to be paid for.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I think the manager is first class, she knows what she is doing, she is very understanding. I feel I can talk to her about any issues that I may have and they will be acted on. The care from all the staff at Longlands are very nice. I feel that the care we are given is very person centred. I like to spend most of my time in my room where I always have visitors including family, friends and always staff. I enjoy massages and activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

The experience so far we have had at Longlands is very good one, the care home is a very homely one, as soon as you walk into the reception you feel it straight away. In the day room they have entertainment such as a person singing war time songs and acting, also knitting clubs. The manager always very obliging and willing to answer questions. The carers themselves do a very good hob in making sure the people are well kept, (i.e clean and tidy). We are very pleased with what we have seen.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I am living at Longlands while my husband gets better. I have enjoyed my time here. The manager is lovely. I feel I can talk to her at any time during my time here the manager and a carer and the activities lady made it possible for me to see my husband in hospital. I have enjoyed meeting new friends and playing target games sometimes. All the staff are very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Likely

I think the food is excellent. I came to live at Longlands with my sister a short time a while ago, sadly I lost my sister during this time. The manager made it possible for me to visit my sister at the hospital, I thought this was excellent, I am very happy at Longlands, the staff are all excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

All the staff here are kind. I speak highly of each and everyone of them, they are all very supportive and helpful. This is my 3rd day here I have joined some activities and really enjoyed them and met some lovely people.

No Average Rating is available*

My Mum has always said that she enjoyed her stay and how nice and helpful the staff were. When visiting I was always made welcome by the friendly staff and I was pleased with the cleanliness of the communal areas and my Mum's room. Overall we were both very pleased with the care and conditions and hope we can visit again in the future.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Recently I've noticed its really nice, homely and extremely supportive. I don't often see my mum but she definitely seems to see it as home, she always looks lovely and I don't always ring to say I'm coming as I live in London, its definitely settled me down knowing my beautiful mummy is really being cared for. My mum doesn't recognise me anymore, which is heart-breaking. Yesterday the staff in the office were just so caring. I really believe mummy is happy. Thanks to all the caring from cleaners, cooks, nurses, they are fabulous! Thank you all.

No Average Rating is available*

I haven't visited the care home for some months now. Upon my arrival today, I have seen some great improvements from the last time I was here. All the new furniture looks great, it looks and smells great and the new uniform for the staff make the carers look very professional. I think the new manager has really excelled herself making this a happy and enjoyable environment.

No Average Rating is available*

I came to Longlands to visit my niece and ask to stay for a month to see what it was like. I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience I enjoyed going out to the local coffee morning and building new friendships and meeting new people. I have since visited and been made to feel very welcome. I keep asking the manager if I can move in. I love Longlands.

No Average Rating is available*

Warm, friendly, staff are very helpful. Mum has got lots to freedom to move within the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

The staff are very friendly and it's a nice place, and you can sit in different areas.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Lovely welcome entrance way.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Don't know

On coming into contact with Longlands I was impressed with the eagerness to make residents comfortable and happy.

No Average Rating is available*

Since living at Longlands I feel cared for and safe. My family and friends are always made to feel very welcome. The food is first class with lots of choices at meal times. I have become a volunteer at school for the past year now, I love meeting new people and enjoy taking part in different activities. I spend most of my time in the music room.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Longlands in Oxford have been a god send, my mum is 90 years old and I truly believe that Mum would not be here if it had not been for the dedication of the workers here. Mum's care needs are well met, as far as mums dementia allows, much worse she did not recognise me first of all which I found difficult. But I'm pleased and so it my twin sister about the care mum gets.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I found the staff very friendly and the food was good, I have been around quite a few care homes, and find Longlands to be in the top 3 on the Oxford area. If I found any fault it would be the parking which I find difficult sometimes.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

Vilma Collaku, Home Manager at Longlands responded to this review on 28 Aug 2015:

Thank you so much for your review, which I will share with the team. Your comments are very much appreciated. I sympathise with your parking difficulties. Although parking spaces at Longlands are used by our employees as well as visitors to the home, I always encourage my team to be considerate of visitors and request that they park their vehicles around the side of the home, where they are safe. This helps a little to alleviate the pressure on space availability in our car park. However, we do recognise that this is a difficulty and please be assured that we will continue to try and find a practical solution.

I have come to Longlands to stay for a short time until I feel better. I have really enjoyed my time here so far. I have made some new friends here. I enjoyed taking part in the music activities. I have never sang so much. I have enjoyed the community joining us for Clockhouse over 50's sing along. The staff are all very kind and helpful. When my husband comes to visit every day he is made very welcome and always joins us for pudding even though he has eaten at home.

No Average Rating is available*

My mother has been resident at Longlands for over two years. Having had experience of other homes with family members, I can honestly say that Longlands is by far the best. The quality of care my mother receives is excellent and she frequently tells me how happy she is there . The home si wonderful, friendly atmosphere and there is always an activity going on, many of which my mother enjoys. The staff are always helpful and welcoming when we visit and I am always impressed by their enthusiasm and dedication.

No Average Rating is available*

Ever since my father came to Longlands he is well cared for. He is happy and usually he likes singing and joining in the activities that they do he is cheerful and has a laugh. I cannot fault the care staff. Give they like to have a laugh with the residents its a lovely atmosphere. I have recommended it to friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Longlands? Extremely Likely

I feel that Longlands has made a real difference to my life, since losing my husband. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't moved here, I went days without seeing people. I have made some lovely friends, I join most activities and enjoy our local community coffee morning where I have met more friends. I take part in most garden centre trips, tried new things that I have never tried before.

Submit a Review for Longlands

Vilma Nuzi

Joined: 2015

The forty eight residents at Longlands receive a high quality of care from over forty five staff members including, carers, ancillary staff and an administration assistant. The team is led by the manager who is supported by a Head of Care and a team of Care Leaders.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Longlands