Stirlings, Wantage, Oxfordshire

Stirlings is a forty capacity care home located in Wantage, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for adults diagnosed with dementia or with a physical disability.

Care charity and provider The Orders of St John Care Trust are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Lisa Khan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 40 residents

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Stirlings: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Stirlings is based on 25 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.520 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.52 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.520 for Stirlings is based on 25 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.52 for Stirlings is calculated as follows: ( (170 Excellents x 5) + (107 Goods x 4) + (17 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 294 Ratings = 4.52

The Quantity Score of 5 for Stirlings is calculated as follows:

3. (24 Positive Reviews ÷ 40 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.200 (maximum score = 1)

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

I honestly cannot think of a way Stirlings could improve (I have tried!)

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

The home is very nice and the staff are very polite and make you feel comfortable. The food has been excellent and nicely served. The activities are fine as well. I found everything made me feel comfortable and welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

Cannot fault in care of residents have visited various friends over many years. Over all care state of actual home has improved greatly in aspects has improved over past 3-4 years. (Have brother-in-law in another place) Both homes are to me run in an excellent way. I certainly would recommend Stirlings to anyone "in need" and if my husband or myself find ourselves in position of care, I hope there would be vacancies available more so in Wantage due to visiting/traveling. Well done.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I like all the staff who were very good, I had a nice room and enjoyed the activities on offer. There was always a choice of food and it was appetising.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

Staff were incredibly helpful and reassuring making us all feel very welcome. Mum was well cared for and found a friend very quickly which helped her settle in and find her way around. She enjoyed the arranged activities and found all the staff kind and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Had a lovely bath on Friday which was so refreshing. The staff are polite and preserve ones dignity whenever it is needed. I am looking forward to coming again.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I have experienced a very good stay. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

My mother's last eight months were a relief to her family. The home made her and us so welcome and I cant thank the staff enough for their kindness and constant care. I cannot fault her care or the wonderful staff.

Wonderful staff and I really enjoyed my stay. Active were good for all. Enjoyed the food that was provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I find that its quite comfortable as I like to sit watching TV in the afternoon. The staff are very good and will do what you ask of them. The food is personally good but I find the beef tough at times. You eat what you want and leave what you don't. I enjoy the bingo but feel there should be more bingo on each week. The laundress, handyman and cleaners are all very good.

Paula Sayer, Home Manager at Stirlings responded to this review on 14 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, which I will share with the team. I will of course also bring the point made about the beef to the attention of our chef.

I like living in here, the staff are good the food is good but I would like a little more choice. I like activities and enjoy bingo and wish we could play bingo everyday.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Don't know

I came to Stirling in July 2015 and I am unable to find a fault with it. Everybody is very nice. The food is good. I choose not to attend the activities, but I'm always busy doing things in my room e.g Jigsaw puzzles ,word searches. I like to read my daily paper.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I spend a lot of time in my room as I am unable to see or hear very well. The food is good, the staff are very nice and I like talking to them. I enjoy trips out of the home and entertainment and singing.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with the staff, they are very good, I only have breakfast and an evening meal as I don't feel hungry at lunch as I have enough to eat. I would like to go out more on my mobility scooter but I know I have to wait for a member of staff to be available to take me.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Likely

I have found the home to be very friendly and comfortable. The meals are tasty and the large garden is lovely to walk around and sit reading. There are communal areas that we sit in and chat to others. There are a range of activities which I choose to attend and I have enjoyed going out on a couple of trips. My family are always made to feel welcome when they visit and are happy I am here.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I think the home is very good, I find that when I ask for something the staff will always sort this out for me. I like the food but as I have a small appetite I find it too much at times. I have enjoyed going out on trips and will attend some activities, I like singing and entertainment when it is on.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Likely

I have lived at Sterling's for the last 8 years and I have been very well treated. Several of the staff are absolutely wonderful to me. A bit of affection, care and love from the girls is very rewarding and has made a world of difference to me.
I am a vegetarian and the kitchen are very good to me, they send someone daily to ask what I would like and the meals are always good, the cook ensures that everything is always right for me. The activities lady is excellent and will do anything for you, I recommended her for an award, in which she won, and this was well deserved.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

My husband and I met a lady for the review which was conducted in a professional way, but with humour which I found reassuring being able to talk in a friendly way. We are assured that my mother-in-law is well looked after in a caring and compassionate way which is a huge weight of our shoulders.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

Stirlings is a happy and caring home. The rooms are comfortable although an en-suite would be a welcome addition. The staff are friendly, helpful and caring and I like the fact that they are regular staff and not unknown agency staff. The staff get to know their residents and build up a good relationship with them. The grounds are pleasant to sit in. Visitors are welcomed. There are a variety of activities to join in if you want to. I am happy that residents are treated with dignity and their lives made as comfortable as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

I have been treated very well. After being unable to look after myself at home I had to leave and go to a care home. The move was very worrying to me, however from the moment I arrived I was made to feel very welcome and made a part of a bigger family. All the staff have been fantastic. They help me with everything and I would like to thank them all very much.

How likely would you be to recommend Stirlings? Extremely Likely

In spite of increasing medical and physical demands of residents the friendly family atmosphere that impressed me four years ago still exists, because of my blindness I am unable to join in every activity but they are all well organised, varied and carefully considered. Special outdoor events are held in the lovely garden which surrounds the house and I am still enjoying my stay here at they age of 93, after four years. I appreciate the birthday and Christmas presents they always give to us.

I would whole heartedly recommend this care home. The staff are caring and considerate even under duress from residents.

I am very pleased with the care my father receives at the home. He is well looked after and feels comfortable with all the residents and staff. The staff are very welcoming and encouraging. I would recommend this home for the elderly suffering from dementia.

Our Mother, aged 92 & suffering from Alzheimers was unable to continue living independently in her own home, and became a resident in Stirlings home in February 2015. This was an unsettling time for her and us, but I have to say that the staff at Stirlings have made the transition as early & as comfortable as possible. Their patience is outstanding, we are always made to feel welcome, and comments/ suggestions regarding Mums care as thoughtfully received and acted upon. As a family we are very grateful.

Mum has recently joined Stirling and we would like to commend the staff for their caring, friendly, patient and professional care. We have felt very welcomed and helped to feel that nothing is too much trouble.

Submit a Review for Stirlings

There are no jobs posted yet for Stirlings

Paula

Paula Sayer

Joined: 2013

The forty residents at Stirlings are looked after by a highly dedicated team of over 70 staff which includes careers, administrators and ancillary staff. They are led by the manager who is supported by a team of Care Leaders.

Paula Sayer became the manager of Stirlings in June 2013. She has over 18 years’ experience in the care sector.

Paula commenced her career in care as a Care Assistant and then Care Leader at Strilings. Paula was promoted to NVQ Assessor with the Trust, supporting many OSJCT staff to achieve their NVQ 2 & 3. In 2009 Paula moved to Madley Park House at Head of Care and also covered as Acting Home Manager. Prior to returning to Stirlings as Home Manager this year, Paula managed another Trust home Mayott House. At Mayott House Paula supported the residents and staff to transfer to new homes prior to the closure of Mayott House whilst it is redeveloped.

Paula is a highly motivated and supportive manager who has progressed professionally in the Trust to achieve the position of Home Manager. She has demonstrated consistent leadership and management when dealing with sensitive and complex processes, this was seen when she ensured the move to Strilings was successfully completed.

Paula‘s commitment and dedication has been recognised by the Trust when she achieved Leader of the year for Oxfordshire 2013.

Specialisms
Paula is currently completing her Level 5 Diploma in Health and Social Care, holds NVQ A1 Assessor Award, Trust Moving and Handling trainer and IOSH Health &Safety. Paula has completed various courses covering many aspects of elderly care. The training Paula has completed supports her in her role as home manager to ensure that the residents of Stirlings receive the best quality of care.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Stirlings