Horsell Lodge, Woking, Surrey

Horsell Lodge is a charming property, with both Victorian and Edwardian features, that has been purposely converted in order to achieve top quality residential care for up to forty older people.

The restoration programme has allowed service users to enjoy stylish rooms, a choice of lounge areas to relax in, including day rooms and a grand entrance hall.

Care packages available include trial stays, long-term care, as well as respite and convalescent needs. A friendly team take pride in allowing for a versatile environment, with an open visiting property and the option to personalise bedrooms.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Robin Bennett (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 38 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Horsell Lodge: click here

posted 10 hours ago

Please call 0808 223 5513 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org for further information about current Bed Vacancies at Horsell Lodge.

8.9 Horsell Lodge has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.858)

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Horsell Lodge is based on 9 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 8.858 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.484 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.374 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

• The maximum Review Score for a care home / service is 10 and it is based on the published Reviews in the last 2 years. When a Review is submitted by someone who has previously submitted a Review, only the latest Review will count towards the Review Score.

The Review Score of 8.858 for Horsell Lodge is based on 9 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.484 for Horsell Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (51 Excellents x 5) + (36 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 93 Ratings = 4.484

The Quantity Score of 4.374 for Horsell Lodge is calculated as follows:

2. 0.1 x 9 Positive Reviews = 0.900

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Horsell Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Horsell Lodge

Activities could be improved by finding more to engage with residents. I know this is difficult with dementia but I look forward to seeing what the new activities co-ordinator can do. Cleaning could be a bit more thorough e.g floors are sticky so maybe more deep cleaning needed. Food looks excellent. Staff are mostly very caring which is the most important thing. Thank you all for looking after mum.

No Average Rating is available*

Jane Starr, Home Manager at Horsell Lodge responded to this review on 17 Aug 2015:

We really appreciate your feedback. Activities are an extremely important part of life at Horsell Lodge and we pride ourselves on ensuring all of our residents get the chance to enjoy an activities programme tailored to their individual tastes or needs. We recognised that there was room for improvement in this respect, having now recruited an additional Activities Coordinator to provide additional support to our residents, and we will ensure your mum’s activity programme is reviewed as soon as possible. Your other comments have been noted and will be followed up. We always welcome the opportunity to review and improve upon what we offer and hope you will share your thoughts with us in the home.

Would recommend, my mother is well looked after, staff are caring and pleasant. There is a happy atmosphere around the more when I visit.

No Average Rating is available*

My mother has been here for two months and I'm pleased with the service and the care she has received.

No Average Rating is available*

I have lived at Horsell Lodge for over a year now. I feel very safe and secure and I am always treated with dignity and privacy. The food is of excellent quality and the menu has varied choices. There are many different areas to sit and chat with others or if I prefer I can sit quietly. My care needs and choices are fully met. Staff and management are always happy and approachable.

No Average Rating is available*

I've lived at Horsell Lodge for over a year and find it excellent. I feel safe here.

No Average Rating is available*

The staff at Horsell Lodge are unfailingly patient and kind with everyone.

No Average Rating is available*

Can't comment on the activities as mum and dad didn't really participate. Our parents have lived at Horsell Lodge for 2 years and the team have made this time happy safe and secure. Mum died recently and the staff treated her and us with great care, dignity and compasion making the experience much easier. The subsequent care of Dad has been faultless and they have shown great care and compassion. We can truly recommend Horsell Lodge as a caring places to be.

No Average Rating is available*

It is a very difficult job finding a good care home, especially on a lower budget. I visited at least 20 homes in our area before I found Horsell Lodge. I liked it from the start, it is an old manor house in beautiful surroundings, it has character and large high ceilings in the communal rooms which also have big windows looking out onto the lovely gardens.
My mum's room had it's own sink and toilet and was nicely decorated. My mum had dementia and mobility problems when she moved in, both these conditions were well catered for. Both the administration and nursing staff are very kind and caring professionals. They competently and compassionately do their very best to make residents and visitors alike as comfortable as possible. You can visit at any time and there is a room where you can prepare your own hot drinks and heat food. Although tea and cakes were also offered to me whilst visiting. The kitchen staff are also very kind and polite, and the food they prepare is very good.
As my mum's condition got worse, I was afraid that I might have had to find alternative accommodation, this was not the case at Horsell Lodge. In the last year of her life my mum was practically unable to move at all. She required more personal attention and a special bed and other things as well, which were all provided. I was assured that my mum would be able to stay where she was, where she felt most comfortable, secure and cared for. I dreaded the idea that mum might have to go into hospital, where everything is much more impersonal and not at all familiar to her. This never happened, I am happy to say that my mum "Yvonne" passed away peacefully in her own room with her own things around her, surrounded by kind caring people who she had known for years.
Caring for elderly people with dementia and disabilities is no easy task. But the wonderful staff at Horsell Lodge proved to me over the 4 years that my mum was a resident there that they were well prepared and qualified, through experience to meet the difficult challenges that their extremely delicate, difficult and important work requires.
I have written this well deserved commendation for the staff of Horsell Lodge and for the house itself, in order that others might be aware of the fine care available there. To all the staff at Horsell Lodge. Please accept my respect, warmest regards and best wishes for all that you kindly did for Yvonne, and for what you continue to do, every day for all the other residents there. Nigel.

How likely would you be to recommend Horsell Lodge? Extremely Likely

No Average Rating is available*

The home has a comfortable feel. The caring staff are generally kind and considerate but my personal opinion is they there are not enough staff to care for the predominant mobility of a majority of residents. The meals are excellent and a good choice is available. The lounges are quite comfortable but there is not enough things to keep the residents occupied.

Submit a Review for Horsell Lodge

Robyn Bennett

Joined: 2016

I lead my professional Care Team in delivering the highest level of care and support for our residents.

My commitment to professional development has equipped me well for my role here, where I work hard to ensure that those in my care lead happy and fulfilling lives, whilst maintaining choice over the care and support they receive.

I believe in maintaining strong relationships with residents and their relatives, and understand the important contribution that these relationships make to the successful running of a care home.

I feel that the Caring Homes philosophy matches up well with my own beliefs on care provision, and I am committed to ensuring that all our residents continue to receive the high levels of care and protection they deserve.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Horsell Lodge