Richmond, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex

Richmond is a Bexhill-on-Sea care home that is an excellent choice for individuals with care needs looking to achieve a comfortable retirement while having skilled carers on hand to assist with aspects of their lifestyle that have become challenging.

Pleasant surroundings are complemented by a comfortable interior, with versatile communal facilities that are suited to many personal interests and a versatile programme of activities organised on behalf of service users.

Modern extensions have allowed the service to take on dementia care provision, adhering to recognised care industry standards.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 58 residents

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Richmond: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Richmond is based on 52 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.594 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.594 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.594 for Richmond is based on 52 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.594 for Richmond is calculated as follows: ( (396 Excellents x 5) + (198 Goods x 4) + (27 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 621 Ratings = 4.594

The Quantity Score of 5 for Richmond is calculated as follows:

3. (51 Positive Reviews ÷ 58 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.759 (maximum score = 1)

My mother had a stay at Richmond of nearly five weeks respite, after a short stay in hospital. With their care, kindness and wonderful food, she has made an amazing recovery. We are so grateful. The home was spotless and my mother is telling everyone what a wonderful place it is.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Raden Mauremootoo, Area Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 12 Jun 2016:

Dear Diana,
Thank you for taking your time to complete the review. We truly appreciate your trust in us and I am sure the staff at Richmond will be proud to hear the positive comments.
Once again thank you very much.

I waited a long time for a room to become available as I was so impressed with the home when I looked into residential homes for my husband. I was impressed very much by the manager, and the care shown by the carers - very kind and loving and it was genuine.
The home is very clean, great facilities and grounds and visitors are made very welcome. I would not place my husband in a home where I, myself, wouldn't go to. It was a big decision to let my husband "go" and I am soooo happy and content and so it here. I'm so grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Raden Mauremootoo, Area Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 09 Jun 2016:

Dear Joan
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it is good to hear the positive feedback and find the management and staff team so helpful.

I will feed your wonderful sentiments back to the team.

My relative could not be happier.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking your time to complete the review. We truly appreciate your trust in us and I am sure the staff at Richmond would be proud to hear the positive comments.
Once again thank you very much.

Thank you all at Richmond and Heatherbank for the excellent care for our mum at this special time of year (mums 98th Birthday) You all have become our extended family with such hard work and all the ups and downs involved on this caring journey. Many 'Butterfly' special moments form you all and from visiting services, nurses, doctors, hairdresser, chiropodist, activity, music, therapists, chaplain and team. Thank you for keeping mum smiling and happy.

Once again thank you very much.

I have been visiting since March. On each occasion I find the residents well cared for and staff very caring, giving lots of hugs and attention. The home is always clean. The rooms are well maintained. All staff know all the residents by name. A nice atmosphere.

Once again thank you very much.

I visit a close friend to do her hair.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Even away from home its is a mothers home. It has mothers love and mothers care.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Raden Mauremootoo, Area Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 27 May 2016:

Thank you for your review Irene; we always appreciate the time taken to complete these and also appreciate the support you provide.

Personal experience and recommendation are the best criterion when selecting such a fundamentally important service. I have had no hesitation when recommending Richmond House to my friends and acquaintances who are either looking for permanent care or respite care.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Raden Mauremootoo, Area Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 05 Jun 2016:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Richmond and thank you for the nice comments.

After having visited several care homes I was relieved to have found Richmond. A breath of fresh air!

Mum who has dementia and is very nervous was welcomed to different events on several occasions before her stay in order to make her respite as smooth and as stress less as possible for both of us! We spoke to both residents and staff. The staff were all kind, caring and knowledgeable. The residents were obviously happy and well looked after and one lady, when I spoke to her said "What more could I want".

Mum was extremely well looked after, helped every step of the way, kept safe and encouraged to join in the homes activities, the food was excellent, home cooked and nutritious and there was plenty of it, her en suite bedroom was neat, clean and well decorated to a high standard.

When the time is right, there will certainly be no hesitation in moving her to Richmond, as I will have total peace of mind.

Thank you once again to all the staff at Richmond.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Amanda Stovell, Home manager at Richmond responded to this review on 29 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your kind words. Here at Richmond we pride ourselves that we care for individuals and and try to make our welcome as warm as possible.

An excellent care home. The staff are very caring and always available. They are professional, positive and nothing is too much trouble for them. There is plenty of interaction and activities arranged for the residents. Everyone is encouraged to join in. It's a great place for your loved ones to meet people and enjoy some company. The food is great too.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

The staff and management are absolutely brilliant and genuinely caring. My mum was very nervous when she arrived and they did their utmost to make her feel welcome. Mum is now much more settled. I have noticed a positive change and improvement in my mum since she arrived :)

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

I cannot praise the staff at Richmond highly enough. They show tremendous compassion and respect to their residents and treat them with dignity. My mother seems very happy and well looked after and, despite my initial reservations of placing her in a dementia care home, I am now convinced I made the right decision. Well done Richmond!

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Amanda Stovell, Home Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 11 Dec 2015:

Thank you for your positive feedback. The staff at Richmond work hard to ensure all our resident needs are met in a warm, happy, welcoming environment.

There is nothing that I don't like about Richmond, I accept everything as it is and I wouldn't change anything. I would love the rooms to be bigger though! But I have everything I need. When I ask for something, I always receive it. I am encouraged to use my independence when I can. I enjoy the simple gestures. The carers are always happy to chat and one is even helping me to do gardening when possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Mandi Stovell, Home Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 31 Dec 2015:

Thank you so much for taking the time to make your comments on the system, the team work really hard to ensure we are providing good quality care and to get confirmation of that is a great boost.

I love everything about this place. I enjoy the company of the staff i have many friends and my family and friends outside of Richmond are always welcome here. I enjoy all the activities and it's nice as I'm encouraged to be myself, go at my own pace, I cannot thank everyone enough for the care and support I receive.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Amanda Stovell, Home Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 16 Nov 2015:

Thank you for your kind response. It's good to know your relatives and friends feel welcomed into the Richmond family.

It's excellent and worthy. I really enjoy everything. I can only criticise time keeping as sometimes things don't go to plan but the atmosphere is happy and I'm encouraged to be independent and have some fun in a safe caring environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Jonathan Catterwell, Services Manager at Richmond responded to this review on 16 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your kind comments which I will pass on to the Home Manager and the whole team, however I'm happy to talk to you about the time-keeping as we are always looking to improve the service provided.

It's a comfortable place to be, and the staff are very caring. I do not take part in much of the activities but there is always someone to talk to, and there are some activities I do join in once in a while. My room is great, I can have what I wish to make it my own and I like the home. Yes I would recommend highly.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Likely

Thank you for your comments. It's great to hear you take part in activities occasionally and that the staff are very caring. I'll make sure I pass these comments on to the staff team.

I love it here. The staff make me laugh. We can do many things here. I like to walk around the home and the grounds.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for the great review. The staff at Richmond make me laugh too. I'll pass your comments on to them as I'm sure they'll be delighted.

I enjoy the home and the way we are included into everyday tasks or activities. I like spending time with family and they are always welcome here. My room is great when I spend time in there, as I like to walk around and do things. It's kept clean and tidy. I really like the variety of food and drinks.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your positive comments. We work really hard to improve the service we provide ensuring we involve residents in all aspects of care, activities, food and environment. I'll pass on this great feedback to the staff team.

The food is great! and although I don't get involved in all the activities I like the choice if I wanted to join in. I have made some good friends. I enjoy the garden in the nice weather, which is recently new, and the staff are very respectful and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for a really positive review. I'm glad you enjoy the newly developed garden which will hopefully get better and better as the planting takes hold. I'm also really pleased you enjoy the food as we work hard to ensure we involve all residents in putting togther menus and special events. We're also constantly looking at improving the choice of activities in the home with resident involvement so it's great to receive this feedback too. I'll pass all these positive comments on to the staff team.

My friend went into Richmond in September 2012, once her dementia made it unsafe for her her to remain in her own home. She was accepted for "respite care" initially and then remained there until her death this year. Throughout these 3 years I visited her constantly. Her main worry was that we would take her away from her home!!
At all times all the staff were so helpful and kind to both my friend and any of her visitors. Towards the end of her life the staff refused a doctors order to hospitalise her; they took on the extra task in looking after her (and myself) throughout the rest of her life. All staff knew her by name from the cook to the cleaner as well as the care staff. I would be prepared to recommend others to be helped/looked after in this wonderful home. Thank you to the manager and all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind comments. I’m always pleased to receive positive feedback and will make sure it’s shared with the staff team at Richmond.

I have had fun and made some great friends. The rooms are a decent size with personal bathrooms which I enjoy for the privacy and health side of things. I love the music, they play different styles everyday on the radio, TV and we sing too. We have enjoyed many entertainers who have been here. I cannot fault the staff personally, but I think they need more sometimes. They are happy to talk to me and I feel happy to be here.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Likely

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I'll pass your comments on to the staff team who are always pleased to receive any feedback. I will also talk to the Home Manager regarding staffing levels as we have just completed a successful recruitment campaign so there should be excellent staff cover over all shifts now. Thanks again.

I enjoy everything here. The staff are excellent, the activities are fun and I have made so many new friends, and its welcoming. The rooms are good and I like how we aren't forced our of personal space.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for the positive review. We are constantly developing the activities we provide ensuring residents are involved in shaping the program. Ask a member of staff about our exciting "Seize the day" initiative. I'll share your comments with the staff team.

When I first arrived I was welcomed and helped to feel at home. I have made some good friends including the staff. I have really enjoyed taking part in the activities the home has to offer, including entertainers who come in to sing, church service and exercises. I feel very relaxed here and I recommend it to everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm delighted you are enjoying the home and have made friends. I will pass these great comments on to the staff team.

This home is very comfortable and relaxing. The staff are very helpful they get to know you and are friendly. The only criticism I have is that sometimes I don't see staff when I need them, as they are so busy and sometimes short staffed. The atmosphere is very calm and easy-going.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Likely

Thank you for the positive review. I'm glad you find the home comfortable and relaxing as there has been some redecoration and development in the home recently. I am concerned about the comment regarding staffing though, thank you for highlighting it. I will talk to the home manager about this as we have recently completed a successful recruitment drive.

I cannot fault the service I had while I stayed at Richmond the care was exceptional. The food was lovely and plenty of it. The deputy manager is excellent, very helpful and caring. My room was very clean and a fair size. Good value for money and I would recommend this home to my friends and family. This is the number one home in Bexhill and I look forward to returning.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Mum was an emergency admission a few weeks ago. We were so lucky to be aware of the local reputation of the Richmond home and also that there was capacity for her. All of the staff have been very supportive of my brother and myself at a distressing time for all of us. Mum has settled well (although unaware this is to be a permanent arrangement) and seems happier with company and the food food provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

My mother became a resident a Richmond in September 2014 - after viewing several homes in the area we knew immediately this would be the right home for her. The atmosphere and caring but professionalism of the staff shone through, so the decision was made . Mum sadly had Dementia and could be challenging, I visited very often and was completely impressed with the kind and dignified way she was always treated, and so were all the other residents - it was heartwarming to know they were all receiving such a good standard of care but with kindness and patience. Mum's room was beautifully bright with an walk in shower en suite - it was always immaculately clean and was a really nice environment for her, she was kept clean and tidy and dressed with thoughtfulness with her hair done , so important for a lady who cared so much about her appearance . All the family and friends who visited were so impressed on every level of the standards in the residents rooms and communal areas . The food was also of an excellent standard and all visitors were always made welcome and looked after by the staff without exception. Sadly mum passed away in January - but I know her end of life care was exceptional, she received better care than many in hospital would, the staff care was outstanding and made a very difficult time so much easier. We as a family cannot thank the staff at Richmond highly enough, they gave mum the very best last few months of her life, we could not have asked for more. In my opinion Richmond has a very special and dedicated team and I wrote to the CEO to pass on our grateful thanks to staff, as I felt they deserved recognition for the wonderful job they do.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Since arriving at Richmond, my mum has had three managers. The first even visited mum in her own home two days after we applied, even though we were 57 miles away. They gave here a thorough interview and provided a beautiful room at a very reasonable price. We chose the home because it had a lovely clean environment and an activities programme.
The new manager has initiated many new plans in the few months she has been there. My mother's two senior carers, Sue and Katie, are excellent and professional. Their kindness to mum goes without saying. They are thorough and thoughtful to both residents and relatives and we appreciate this. I cannot praise the home and its staff more and thank them all for their hard work.

My father is very happy and well cared for by a friendly and happy team. They get him involved in activities and trips out.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Mum has been a resident in the dementia unit since March 2012. During this time there have been a lot of management changes and staff turnover. (The staff that remained were always good but previously unsupported.) The new Manager has totally turned the place around and continues to make improvements. She's always happy to chat and reassure. She took my Dad in for respite at very short notice for a week in April after radiotherapy treatment for his cancer which unfortunately is now terminal. He's back at Richmond again now having been discharged from the Hospice but unable to cope alone at home. The staff all welcomed him with open arms as he has been visiting Mum virtually everyday for last 3 years so is well known to them all. It's as close as I could get to leaving him with family which is a great relief and comfort to me as I live and work over a 100 miles away.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

I have both parents in Richmond with very different needs which are met with professional care delivered with great patience and understanding. They always maintain their dignity and treat residents in a very respectful manner. I have nothing but high praise for all the staff and management.

A family friend has just had a post operative period of respite at Richmond in Bexhill. The care she received has been exemplary. The staff are very kind and nothing is too much trouble. The perfect place for someone needing care. The food (especially the cakes) are delicious and there is always something going on to do.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

My mother and father have been residents at Richmond for 5 years. My mother died in Jan 2015 and my father who is 94 an continues to live here.
I can thoroughly recommend Richmond for elderly and/or Dementia clients. Since Feb 2015 when the new management took over the home has greatly improved, indoors and out.
The gardens are improving all the times having got very run down prior to Feb 2015. Activities are provided, and many new things up and running to keep residents engaged and occupied. Since my mother died, my father kept to his room but is gradually coming out of his room and joining in. He particularly like the "Steak & Pint " outing that the men went on recently. Also relatives meetings very informative.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

My recommendation- take a look for yourself, you will not be disappointed by what you see. Want a home that cares, brings enjoyment, happiness, then Richmond is the place to be home, only fault here is we have a lovely garden we can't use as work is being done.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

I've been living here at Richmond with my wife, who sadly passed away at the beginning of the year, for more than 7 years. Richmond is my home and a place I can call home. When Molly (wife) died I thought my world had ended and I'll be alone. The staff here at Richmond ensured me I was not alone and was always there for me and put a smile on my face. Anyone can care but the staff generally care and show it to each and everyone of us. My Molly and i always said the best thing apart from marrying each other and having a family, was being here at Richmond.

Richmond is a care home that cares. My life is fulfilled with different things to do. There is always something for everyone to do. Richmond is always something for everyone to do. Richmond staff are fantastic. The new manager has made some positive changes within the home. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't come here. The daily activities/trips are all enjoyable. I'm supported with my choices and very well respected by the staff and everyone here at Richmond. My words to describe this place "Heaven without the gates" The love and affection I'm shown here can always make me smile.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

A lovely home, excellent staff and manager is lovely too. Everything is perfect about this place. I would recommend to anyone.

My mother went into this home in March 2005 and she has been happy. There have been many changes with managers which can cause some distress but the carers are very supportive. My mother chose Richmond I gave her the choice of three homes. We recommend Richmond whenever we speak with anyone who needs this type of accommodation. I have had many friends stay here, also their stay has been treated well with dignity and respect.

My mum was a resident for just over 8 years and has recently passed away. Richmond offers a residential unit and a dementia unit under one roof. Mum spent the first few years in the residential unit and then with the onset of dementia she moved to the dementia unit which was great for her because she didn't have to move to a new home which can be very unsettling. The staff are incredibly devoted and caring and the care mum received in the last few months of her life could not have been better. The food is good, there are organised activities and an in-house service. They also have Christmas and Easter fares and a garden party in the summer. Above all the staff make a care home what it is and they are just fantastic. I would recommend this home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

Richmond is a place anyone can call home. They encourage me to keep motivated and focus on what's important to me. The staff/management are fantastic each and every single one of them treats me with respect and dignity. The care staff are always happy to help even with my personal care but in a way that I'm independent. There is always something going on that anyone can join in like music/singing/dancing/bingo/exercises/arts and crafts. 1-1 or group. The in-house church service is great and the Chaplin is very thoughtful and helpful to me.

A lovely place to be and wonderful people around who are always happy to help me. The staff are like family and always encourage me to participate in things. There's not one fault I can mention about Richmond. Very happy and would recommend to anyone.

Richmond is a fantastic home and a place I call home. The staff are incredible and a credit to this home. They help me with anything and when I want to go for a walk or visit the fish pond here, they have no problems with taking me and helping me improve my mobility. The exercise classes here have really helped me improve my mobility and strength. My family and friends visit me often and they too enjoy coming cause the staff are so lovely and inviting.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

I've enjoyed my stay here, the staff are always happy to help and support me with anything. I've made many friends here and felt welcomed the moment I walked through the door. They encourage and promote independence which was the one thing I always feared that I would lose but still I'm very independent. There is always something going on around the home and never feel alone. I enjoy the in house church service and many activities group or alone. The food is good enough that I always ask for more. I would recommend to anybody.

My mother has been a resident at Richmond for nearly four years, she is suffering from the onset of dementia and I have found the staff and care of a good level. I chose Richmond after visiting so many other care homes because they offer a pleasant residence and their long term carers seem to me to care for and support their guests. The quality of good is very good and I recommend their services to all who require a good care home. The manager in the past three years have been good.

Home always clean and tidy. Staff very friendly and cheerful. Care my sister gets is second to none. Relatives always made welcome when they enter the home. Meetings with relatives on a two monthly basis, always informative.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

They are friendly. My dad is well looked after, all his needs are met, and we are kept informed about his care. My dad is very happy.

Richmond is a purpose built home standing in its own pleasant grounds. The rooms are well designed and equipped as are the communal areas. The staff are wonderful and frequently their remit to ensure that the residents are well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Richmond? Extremely Likely

I am very satisfied with the help and care my mother receives. The staff are always helpful and the food and accommodation are of a good standard.

The overall quality of care is excellent in what must be a challenging environment.

In my opinion, my sister, Ellen, is in a safe and happy environment. The loving and attentive care she receives is second to none. All the staff, carers and senior staff, are lovely. Ellen's dear friend, Win, and myself are able to visit Ellen on most days, we feel at ease and part of the family with the staff and other residents. I would not want Ellen staying anywhere else!

Homely. Friendly staff. Great quality of food. Good activities. Clean rooms. Above all at the end of life the company and comfort she was given was tremendous. Well done Richmond.

My mother has been a resident for 10 months. I am happy with the quality of care and all the staff are welcoming, attentive and caring. My mother says that she is being well looked after and that the staff are very kind to her.

Submit a Review for Richmond

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Richmond

There are no jobs posted yet for Richmond

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Richmond