Charles Lodge, Hove, East Sussex

Charles Lodge is situated off an attractive tree lined road in a central but secluded position in Hove. In addition to local shops and amenities invigorating sea breezes can be enjoyed on a visit to the nearby seafront.

The care needs of Residential and Dementia diagnosed service users can be met within the home’s pleasant environment.

Group: Nicholas James Care Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Gloria Draper (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Brighton & Hove City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 27 residents

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): French, Portuguese

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £600 , Personal Care Shared (per person) from £550

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Charles Lodge: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Charles Lodge is based on 13 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.809 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.846 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.963 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.809 for Charles Lodge is based on 13 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.846 for Charles Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (133 Excellents x 5) + (22 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 156 Ratings = 4.846

The Quantity Score of 4.963 for Charles Lodge is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

At first mum was really unhappy and sad which made me feel the same, but in a few short months the wonderful staff have won her around, she is now very happy, content and smiley. She is always clean and well turned out when we visit every week. She loves the activities which take place most days. She now feels she is at home. All the staff are so caring and nothing is too much trouble. Her room too is kept immaculate. There is always fruit around for residents to help themselves and drinks are always available. Whenever I visit there are no smells at all it is clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

I can confirm that Charles Lodge provides the best possible care home for my mother who is suffering from progressive Dementia, and who requires full time care and attention. The management and staff are all so responsive to my mothers needs and treat her with the utmost dignity and respect. Her room is always spotlessly clean and tidy and her clothes are changed and laundered o0n a daily basis, so she always appears respectable. The food provided is always to the highest quality. Mum is so happy and content within this fabulous care home which makes it so much easier for us as a family to relax knowing that she is being well cared for in such a lovely place.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

I have found the staff to be helpful and friendly to me when visiting. With regard to the service user the staff always appear to treat her in a friendly but respectful way and ensure her needs are met. The environment is always cheerful and everywhere I have seen appears bright and clean. I find it helpful there are no restrictions on visiting hours. From what I have seen the service appears excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

Could not fault in any way. Staff are extremely kind, caring and friendly. Have already recommended to a number of others, who also moved family members into their care. Would not want my mum in any other care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

My overall impression (and this comment is made taking note of some input from my father, the service user) is that Charles Lodge is a well-managed establishment with well-trained and sympathetic staff. The biggest problem I detect, one true of most such organisations is that there is sometimes a shortage of staff available.

The room was made available to my father at less than one month's notice for occupation from 01/12/2014 following the sudden closure of his previous residence. He spends almost all his time in his room, not being socially inclined at this time of his life. The room was redecorated prior to my father's taking up residence and Charles Lodge management has tried hard to meet his requirements and to make him comfortable in a quite small space. The only significant criticism I would have of the room is a common one of such establishments in that it is overheated and airless. Being south-facing with only a small opening door-cum-window in summer it is also too hot.

On the occasions when I have eaten in Charles Lodge I have have been very impressed by the standard of meals which seems higher than in my father's previous home and certainly attracts far less adverse comment than I would expect from a fastidious eater.

The home has been personally very helpful to me (who live seventy miles away) with managing post and dealing with some administrative matters which required Charles Lodge headed paper.

NOTES:
I have classified "Activities" as "Good" but my father does not use these so it is largely a guess.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

I don't take part in activities as i like to spend time in my room. I have lived here for 6 years and am very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Likely

The care home is very efficiently and sympathetically run. It is always clean and hygienic and clients are happy and calm. I cannot believe this is due to anything else but the caring and sensitive approach of the staff and management. Turnover of both clients and staff is low and this must be a good sign. Facilities and activities are excellent and appropriate and the clients respond well. The care home is always welcoming and staff invariably greet visitors by first name. I have no criticisms whatsoever.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

Having visited several homes, we knew straight away that this was the right place for mum. The staff were inviting and friendly, the residents were happy, relaxed and clean. Mum settled in quickly as she was allocated a buddy, she is now eating regularly and looking forward to her meals. There is always a varied choice of menu to cater for all tastes. The staff make us feel involved and we feel welcome when we visit. I couldn't ask for a better, reassuring placement. Outings and activities are organised which mum is 89 and still able to join in.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

As soon as we walked in we noticed the caring and homely atmosphere. The staff take a real interest in the residents, making time to talk to them and visitors. We are made to feel welcome and know we can talk to staff/manager if we have any concerns and they will be dealt with promptly. Residents are treated with dignity and encouraged to join in the activities, games, quizzes, music and crafts. We didn't realise she was so good at throwing games and often scores bullseyes! Food is well cooked and her dietary preferences catered for. Mum likes the idea of a buddy and it helped her settle in. It was a big move after years living on her own and we are so glad that mum is being looked after by such caring carers.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

All staff are welcoming to visitors and caring and respectful to residents. The atmosphere in the building is light and cheerful and kept to a high standard of cleanliness. The home has a large garden which is used by a limited number of residents. I would like to see more activities using this valuable asset during the summer months.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at Charles Lodge for over a year. It is a homely place, kept spotlessly clean. The staff are excellent; they are all kind and I never have any doubts that they are being unkind to my mum when I am not there. I feel I can leave her there safe in the knowledge that she is well cared for. Mum is happy there and the food is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

Charles Lodge is a lovely care home and is very friendly and caring. The staff are very helpful and patient and also very kind and courteous to the residents, especially the manger. My mother could not be in a better environment...

How likely would you be to recommend Charles Lodge? Extremely Likely

It become necessary to move my 95 year old mother into a nursing home following a bad fall, hospitalisation interim care, and rapid deterioration of her mental state. We inspected several homes in the area, and eventually found Charles Lodge, which is perfect for my mother. She is secure, comfortable, settled and very well cared for. Above all given the horror stories about care homes in England it never even crosses my mind that my mother will ever be treated badly, neglected, or lose her dignity. We were very lucky to find Charles Lodge.

Submit a Review for Charles Lodge

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Charles Lodge

There are no jobs posted yet for Charles Lodge

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Charles Lodge