The Shelley, Worthing, West Sussex

The Shelley is a Worthing care home that welcomes long-term needs as well as offering respite and day care to the local community.

Established with a vision to enhance quality of life, professionals strive to achieve a 'refreshing' approach to residential care, in which residents feel supported, but also active and at home.

Staff are committed to making sure residents make the most of a luxury environment, with facilities that include en-suite rooms, wheelchair-friendly gardens, WiFi access and a rich and varied menu of high quality food.

Popular activities include arts and crafts, flower arranging, games and quizzes, exercise classes, food and wine tasting and regular outings.

Owner: Shelley Ltd

Person in charge: Marlene Sanders (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 32 residents

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £750 – £975

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on The Shelley: click here

Review Score: 10 (9.997)

The Review Score of 10 (maximum of 10) for The Shelley is based on 24 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.997 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.997 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.997 for The Shelley is based on 24 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.997 for The Shelley is calculated as follows: ( (287 Excellents x 5) + (1 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 288 Ratings = 4.997

The Quantity Score of 5 for The Shelley is calculated as follows:

3. (24 Positive Reviews ÷ 32 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.500 (maximum score = 1)

I have been a happy resident at The Shelley for 8 years now. The staff are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble for them. They are always willing to help and do their best for you as always. Christmas is very special here with everyone doing their best to make it a time to remember. I love the food here, plentiful and always a lot of choice. I would not want to be anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

We had such a lot going on this Christmas. The whole of December was packed with extra activities and things going on. Home was beautifully decorated, so much so that people were bringing in their friends to have a look around. We had a marvellous time, had a wonderful Christmas party and we saw the new year in with many staff who came in especially our visitors and friends. A most wonderful place to live in.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

The Shelley is a wonderful place, all the staff are so kind and caring. My father has enjoyed his stay and will be sad to leave all the wonderful staff to go to his new flat. They have been so attentive when he has been ill and know if he doesn't feel himself. The entertainment has been good, lots of singing and outings. The 2 lady organisers are full of fun. The food is wonderful, my dad has put on a bit of weight but looks much healthier for it. My dad has said if he doesn't get on independently at his flat he will be back! Thank you for so much.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I came for 6 weeks respite and have thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Staff are excellent, compassionate. The food is very good. Staff made extra effort to make everyone's Christmas special. The Christmas decorations were smashing. I cannot praise them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

Always friendly greeting on arrival and when in residence. Bells to all help answered promptly. Activities above average. The happiness of the staff working together is a great back ground help to the residents, a very good atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

It is the most happy home with lovely staff. They will do anything for you. The food is excellent and there is always a choice.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

My experience since living at The Shelley is of the highest standard.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I have lived here for eight years and it has become my second home. The owner, manager, deputies and all of the staff treat me as a human being and care for me in a gentle and positive way. Nothing is too much trouble and I have all the independence I need. The security of living here is a massive relief and I have no need to worry anymore. I am pampered respected and loved greatly by many. There is a constant buzz about the home, and laughter and love is everywhere. The food is of an extremely high standard with no shortage of anything, and superb choice at all times. the activities, entertainment, outings and daily happenings are in abundance. There is no need to be bored. My family live overseas but they don't have to worry about me now. I love living here and I am most fortunate to be able to do so.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I have been a resident in The Shelley for 18 months now originally for a fortnight respite, after two heart attacks. The care and kindness that I received from the staff made me realise that at my age it was prudent to sell my flat and move in permanently. I have a warm comfortable room with en-suite bathroom, to which I have brought my most personal treasures. The room and bathroom are cleaned and dusted daily. We have a weekly hairdresser, aromatherapy and chiropodist. Occasionally I send various members of the family a copy of our weekly food and entertainments menu to convince them that I really am living in the lap of luxury. Visitors are always given a warm welcome. Needless to say I am a very happy resident.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I cannot speak highly enough of The Shelley, it's wonderful everybody is so kind and thoughtful. To me it's one happy family.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

My son found this place for me and it was an excellent choice. Staff are obliging and friendly and very helpful. I am treated respectfully. It's a fun place to live in and anybody who wishes to come and live here would be very happy. I am lucky to be here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

It is the most wonderful place to be this time of year. My daughter lives in Australia but I have may dear friends and family here. The Christmas decorations are simply wonderful, so much effort had been put into providing us with a most wonderful time.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

My father was extremely happy and comfortable and was looked after well. The staff, most of whom had worked there for a long time, were very kind and caring. They were endlessly patient and would go out of their way to help him to be as independent as possible. Whenever I visited they made me feel welcome and at ease and included me in their strategies for caring for my father so that I felt we were working together in his best interest. My father could often be heard telling visitors what a wonderful place Shelley was and I am only too happy to agree with this. I would recommend the Shelley to anyone who was considering living in a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

Everything about The Shelley was excellent. Staff very friendly and always helpful. Food very tasty, high quality and a good variation. Staff always willing to fit in with the patients. It was like a lovely hotel! My aunt says she is definitely coming back!

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

The staff and residents are very welcoming. Good food. Everyone helps you with whatever you need. A friendly atmosphere and very comfortable. I love the variety of things I am invited to join in. I would come back as I am very happy here.

Excellent care and attention
The care attention given to my father at The Shelley Care Home was excellent. It was a great joy for us to see him joining in and smiling. Our thanks to all of the staff for helping us to understand his needs and find solutions, with our deep gratitude for their compassionate support.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I found everybody very frinedly and cheerful and always somebody around to help. There is always something to do. Quality of care was very good, staff very friendly, lovely home cooked food. Staffing levels were amazing, there seem to be endless staff all the time.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I can only say that my experience has been extremely gratifying. The staff are excellent and very caring. The place is kept very clean and well looked after. The food is first class and very plentiful. I cannot praise this place highly enough. All the staff are very helpful and very courteous and to top it all the entertainment is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

All staff are kind and caring, the words fail me, Care staff so understanding. Some staff are like gold dust!..

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

The quality of care is excellent and friendliness of staff fantastic. The meals served are 5 star. The flexibility of The Shelley is excellent. All the residents are very happy and would definitely recommend The Shelley and return for another stay. We are both very grateful to all at The Shelley, top to bottom, for the care bestowed on us and the family.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

first class quality of care. The meals are wonderful, excellent staffing levels. Very, very good flexibility. A really lovely place and most comfortable, would definitely recommend. I can't think of any improvement.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

I cannot thank you enough for all the care and kindness that you gave to me when I needed it so much. The staff are the most wonderful people that I have ever met in my life.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Extremely Likely

After spending so much time in looking for a home for my mother, I came across The Shelley. It is wonderful. In 8 weeks my mother has become 10 years younger. She smiles for the first time in years and talks so much about the kindness she receives, the friends she has made, the staff, the food, the entertainment and the homeliness. She spent 2 weeks at a very large new home in Brighton prior which on the surface was very nice and shiny new but it just wasn't homely. Like their advert said It really is Different!
Thank you The Shelley for giving my mother her life back. And mine.

How likely would you be to recommend The Shelley? Likely

My father is at The Shelley in Worthing - he has had a stroke, has a heart condition, is recovering from a bad fall and 7hr operation and he also has Alzheimers.

The Shelley staff are superb with him because he loves to have fun, get out and about on trips and join in with everything. There is always a club, activity or outing to enjoy.

The staff are going out of their way to help him whilst he becomes fully mobile again -above and beyond what a residential home would normally accommodate.

The food is also wonderful (home-made) and they include my mother on trips and entertainment when she visits my father. They have even bought her a birthday present for her birthday today. I am sure I will hear all about a cake when she phones me later!

Nothing is too much trouble and the price you pay is not expensive compared to other homes. Is is a real gem. What you get for your money is superb.

The house is a beautiful Victorian property, the decor comfortable and homely and you would never know it was a residential care home. I describe it as a, '5 star hotel with excellent care and home-cooked food'!

Nada the manager is amazing, Marlene the owner so accommodating, the assistant managers really 'step up' and the rest of the staff are wonderful. The staff never seem to change - which shows they are happy and content. Nada is often on educational courses and the care never ceases to be first class.

The garden is a real bonus and the gardening club gets all the residents involved that want to be.

There is a room for every budget and taste and nothing is too much trouble if you want to personalise your room.

The quality of the live entertainment and exercise classes is amazing. I thoroughly enjoy it myself when I visit.

I cannot recommend this residential care home enough. I just hope I can go when I get old (or maybe now would be good for a nice rest a little holiday!).

Submit a Review for The Shelley

October 2015

2015 Care Manager of the Year

Recipient: The Shelley

Date: Thursday 15 Oct 2015

There are no jobs posted yet for The Shelley

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Shelley