Walstead Place Care Home

Scaynes Hill Road, Lindfield, Haywards Heath RH16 2QG

Walstead Place Care Home, Haywards Heath, West Sussex

Walstead Place Care Home is situated close to the West Sussex town of Haywards Heath, which makes it conveniently placed in relation to the main line commuter station to London and the main motorway network. Brighton and the South Coast are only 12 miles. Walstead Place is registered with the Care Quality Commission to provide both short and long-term care to elderly people requiring residential care.

The care home is set in its own beautiful gardens of some 2½ acres. Walstead Place dates back to 1852, being a typical gentleman’s residence of the 19th Century, in the small and delightful hamlet of Walstead, within a mile of the picturesque village of Lindfield where there is a post office, bank and many local shops and pubs.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Jacqueline Ferguson (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 54 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Motor Neurone Disease • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Walstead Place Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Walstead Place Care Home is based on 17 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.235 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.605 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.63 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.235 for Walstead Place Care Home is based on 17 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.605 for Walstead Place Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (122 Excellents x 5) + (61 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 190 Ratings = 4.605

The Quantity Score of 4.63 for Walstead Place Care Home is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

I cannot thank the staff enough for all the support that has been given to my father, particularly after his fall, the level of their concern was amazing. Nothing is ever too much trouble and I always feel very much at home when I visit. The effort which is put into their range or activities is fantastic. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Likely

My father stayed at Walstead Place for a weeks respite as my mum was ill. The staff were very professional and we received a very warm welcome. Dad had excellent care and I have no hesitation in recommending Walstead Place. I am very grateful to the staff for looking after him so well.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff provided excellent care both for my mother and for me as her son, in the last few weeks of life. Throughout her four years at Walstead the staff have helped and supported her in a very professional and caring manner, but also gave the extra mile to help, despite on many occasions being rather short staffed.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Likely

Jacquie Ferguson, Home Manager at Walstead Place Care Home responded to this review on 23 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Walstead Place, we really appreciate your feedback. At Walstead we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities. We regularly run recruitment campaigns to build our care team, thus ensuring they are able to provide person centred care and spend valuable time with our residents, and we are pleased to confirm we have made robust improvements in this regard. We welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

To me, the most important aspects for a home for my mum was one where she would get the best care available, be treated with dignity, feel comfortable in her surroundings and live in a homely, friendly and clean but not clinical home. It was a pleasure to take mum into the large garden. The activities offered and enjoyed by my mum were superb. I sometimes felt staffing levels could have been better at weekends. Vvisitors (dogs included) were always made very welcome. Mum was looked after very well, enjoyed her meals and was very happy there. As a daughter visiting my mum, I always felt Walstead was like home form home.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have been impressed with the high standard of caring shown by the staff. Every effort is made to attend to the residents needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Likely

The staff were absolutely superb - management and carers. My mother was treated with dignity and kindness throughout until her death.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Extremely Likely

I went into respite for ten days. I found the staff to be pleasant but felt it was very short staffed, which frustrated me when requiring their help. Also, I had complained about my TV not working, in which the Manager told me it had been fixed, but it hadn't. I also had to fill out a form to say what my likes/dislikes were on arrival. I stipulated that I did not want any male carers to help with personal care, only female staff, but this was not done and I was made to feel very embarrassed. This really upset me! Overall the staff were quite pleasant but I felt that it was very short staffed.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Don't know

Sarah Scott, Marketing Executive at Walstead Place Care Home responded to this review on 12 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to review Walstead Place, we really appreciate your feedback. At Walstead Place we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities meeting all residents requests and needs. It appears we have on this occasion sadly fallen short of our own high standards and apologise. We regularly run recruitment campaigns to build our care team, thus ensuring they are able to provide person centred care and spend valuable time with our residents, and we are pleased to confirm we have made robust improvements in this regard. I can also give assurances that any shortfalls in staffing levels are supplemented with the temporary use of agency staff when and if required. We welcome the opportunity to improve, and thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.

I was taken by my son-in-law to Walstead Place on August 7th having had a bunion removed from my foot, and plaster added. I was told to use the crutches supplied to keep the foot raised on all possible occasions, not to drive for six weeks, and to be careful when gradually increasing the weight over a period of several weeks. Walstead Place provided respite care for one week to help me get started on all the care instructions. I live on my own and my family were organised for the following weeks (after August 7th but I was told I should not be on my own until the follow up appointment at the hospital) Walstead Place was a god send and I was given excellent post operation care. Very pleasant care in a lovely house and garden

My husband was very contented there and had complete trust in the carers. He had a good rapport with them. The staff were always cheerful and came with a smile, even though they were always very busy. He enjoyed his meals, which were excellent. This care home and garden are light and airy and has the real feel of a home.

On entering Walstead Place you are welcomed into the homely, family atmosphere. The management are 'on the ball' and the staff are very caring, supportive and efficient. The staff work brilliantly as a team and will 'go the extra mile.' A particular feature is the imaginative and inclusive activities programme which is adapted to suit the needs of the residents. The characterful surroundings and lovely gardens are a bonus.

How likely would you be to recommend Walstead Place Care Home? Extremely Likely

I thoroughly recommend Walstead Place for many reasons. The staff were helpful and kind, and nothing was too much trouble for them. I found the food to be reasonable but not brilliant! The activities organised by Lyn and assisted by Olivia were exceptionally good. It was obvious that they had worked very hard at them. I expect I shall, at some point, return as a resident !

The staff are very caring. The meals are good and the rooms are clean and practical. Plenty of activity. Resident integration encouraged.

I was very worried about my mother going into a care home but the staff have been fantastic. My mother has been happier than she was at home on her own. Everyone I have dealt with has been helpful, responsive and kind. The food, accommodation and activities are all great.

A very caring atmosphere, staff are excellent from cleaners to nurses. A good range of activities and trips out in their mini-bus. Jacquie and Neil in charge are both on the ball and excellent and there is a residents form to air any concerns. My mum was a retired midwife and had spent her life in nursing and she was happy there for me, that is the best recommendation.

Ideal location for family and met all requirements of Mum and family.

I have worked as a general practitioner in the area for many years and I have known Walstead Place to have good reputation for good quality care.

Some years ago my Aunt Margaret Lister Williams and recently my Uncle Henry Gordon Rogers. Gordon was unfortunately only resident for a short period before he passed away, but commented on how nice everyone was. he was unable to take advantage of the facilities available. His niece was very appreciative of how well he was looked after in his frail state. My aunt was resident for considerably longer, and was very complimentary of Walstead. She was formerly a nurse and was convinced Walstead was the best home she was aware of.

Submit a Review for Walstead Place Care Home

Healthcare Assistant

To be discussed (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)
Haywards Heath, West Sussex

Jaquie

Jaquie Ferguson

Joined: 2001

Jacquie’s primary responsibilities are to provide
quality care to all clients, oversee and maintain the smooth running of the business on a day to day basis, maintain standards in accordance with the regulations, and also ensure that the home is
optimally marketed.

She enjoys the daily contact with the residents, their families and all the staff. She also enjoys ensuring that the home is able to provide the appropriate care to all clients while maintaining their independence, privacy and the right to choose.

Jacquie has vast experience in the care of the elderly. She is a registered nurse with over 25 years experience, mainly in elderly care, having worked in nursing homes as an RN and eventually a Home Manager, and further went on to work as operations/area manager for a large healthcare company. She came back to the role of Home Manager as she missed the role and working in a care home.

She achieved her Registered Managers Award in
2001. Jacquie is passionate about person centred care and believes in using an individual’s life history when planning their care. As a manager she is passionate about dementia care and has completed a leadership course on this subject.
She has achieved many things in her life but her
greatest achievement, and what she is most proud of, is having three great children and seeing them through school and into good careers.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Walstead Place Care Home