Mellish House, Sudbury, Suffolk

Mellish House is a purpose-built home that offers a service dedicated to supporting adults diagnosed with a form of dementia, based on the expertise of University of Stirling standards.

Stirling’s Dementia Services Development Centre is renowned as the world leader in this field. The Stirling approach ensures that residents are able to move freely around the home, with bedrooms and communal areas appropriately laid out and clearly signposted to minimise confusion or disorientation. Many bedrooms feature a memory box by the front door, where mementos from a resident’s life help to personalise their room and also remind staff and visitors of the individual’s life story.

Mellish House is ideally equipped to provide residential support for elderly people living with different types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia and Korsacoff’s syndrome. However, staff never lose sight of the fact that, first and foremost, Mellish House is home to residents. The home has a light, airy and welcoming ambiance and residents benefit from a broad and thoroughly enjoyable range of activities.

The home offers a full range of residential support, including trial stays, respite breaks and convalescent care as well as long term care. Residents are encouraged to bring important personal possessions to personalise their rooms. Mellish House operates an open visiting policy, where residents and loved ones may visit at convenient times. The home is fully registered with the Care Quality Commission and has ISO9001/2000 and Hospitality Assured accreditation.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Maekhala Allan (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 48 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Mellish House: click here

posted 24 Aug 2015

Please call 01787 372 792 for further information about current Bed Vacancies at Mellish House.

The user 'Review Score' (9.6 for Mellish House) is based on 24 reviews. The Review Score is is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user reviews submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user reviews submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Review Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user reviews please click here.

Please note that before 1st July 2015 carehome.co.uk only accepted Recommendations (positive only), and as of 1st July 2015 all of the Recommendations are referred to as Reviews, and along with all Reviews (positive and negative) submitted since the 1st July 2015 they are included in the calculation of the Review Score. For further information on our move from Recommendations to Reviews please click here.

Mellish House

I have been visiting my friend since the end of June and July up to the present day twice a week. She has a lovely room which is clean and tidy and has an en-suite toilet and wash basin. She love the food and seems to have settled in nicely. The carers are very nice and caring and treat her very well. If she wants to there are activities which she can join in.

Mellish House

My husband suffers from Lewy Body Dementia and has been in Mellish House for 3 and a half years. His condition has deteriorated but he has always received good, considerate and compassionate care. Many of the caring staff are Polish, intelligent hard-working people who support each other and are patient with the residents. I have never heard a cross word. Many of the staff have become friends and I feel comfortable there. Sometimes not enough staff on duty but minor emergencies will arise and need to be dealt with. Activities are excellent, much care, thought and ingenuity are given to amusing and interesting the residents. I have had one or two problems with the administration but no problems with the care. My husband seems calm and resigned.

Mellish House

My wife has been a resident in Mellish House for four years . She settled remarkably well and this has been a great comfort to myself and family. Living near Mellish House I am able to visit her everyday and can see for myself that this is due to the excellent care and support she receives from the staff and management. We are impressed by the prompt medical treatment and hospital treatment if necessary. Linda has got to the stage now where she needs help with eating and drinking. I am grateful to the staff for their patience in feeding her by hand and ensuring she can have a stable diet.

Mellish House

First and foremost it is lovely I like all of it. (the home) The food is good and it is my home. I like the activities and the staff help me as I'm not terrific at them.

Mellish House

I love my room and the facilities in Mellish House. My room is always clean and I love the food and drink I have always a choice. I like to take part in the activities organised by the staff, although I have some difficulty with hearing the staff are very helpful to me. I enjoy my stay here it is good value for money.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Likely

Mellish House

I like my room it is always nice and clean. The food is excellent. I do not take part in the activities because I am 90 years old. I like the staff working here, everyone treats me with respect and dignity. I like peace and quiet so I spend most of my time in my room. I am very happy to be here.

Mellish House

I am very lucky to be here it is really nice.

Mellish House

People are very friendly here.

Mellish House

I am very happy with the care and service provided to me at Mellish. I am looked after well. My diet needs are catered for. My room is comfortable. The staff are friendly as are the residents, I am happy here.

Mellish House

I like to be in Mellish House, I like the people who work here and the residents. I have made a few friends. I look forward to the tea rounds, I like to relax. The food here is nice.

Mellish House

I am very happy staying at Mellish, I feel very much at home, the staff and fellow residents are friendly and approachable. The food at Mellish is second to none. The kitchen staff cater for my tastes and needs.

Mellish House

On the basis of what I've experienced excellent and the staff are very good.

Mellish House

I think the staff are good. It's a quiet home but very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Likely

Mellish House

I like the home, I like it very much. I feel at home here and the staff are very good. I've enjoyed taking part and choosing my rooms decoration.

Mellish House

I quite enjoy it because we have lots of activities. We go out on trips. I like my room because I was able to choose the décor. Mostly I like the food but the liver is not cooked to my liking. I would recommend Mellish House to others.

Mellish House

I have found my stay at Mellish House has been wonderful, relaxing and stress free. I have a good relationship with the staff, they are all lovely. I have made food friends with fellow residents. I enjoy the meals and snacks provided at Mellish House. My bedroom at Mellish House is warm, comfortable and spacious.

Mellish House

Caring friendly staff. Nothing too much trouble. Room has everything Uncle needed. Photos hung in room to remind him of home. Nice view, used to watch trains.

Mellish House

Very pleased with the home generally. The staff are very kind and good. Clean considering in that division they try very hard to maintain a clean home. Residents always look well dressed, clean and well looked after. I would recommend this home.

Mellish House

Staff are very good, room is very nice with beautiful views.

Mellish House

Very caring staff and really friendly. They will do anything for you. My father is very happy here and treated with respect. The home is also very clean and the chefs do some lovely dinners. We would recommend this home to anybody.

Mellish House

My father was taken to Mellish under difficult circumstances, and the care he has received has made this transition so much easier. My dad needs to be in a secure home, and I am happy that even though I have a bit of a journey, I know that he is in the right place for him. Our friends have been to see him and they think it is the nicest care home they have ever been to.

Mellish House

The attendent staff are attentive and very helpful without fault and always on hand.

Mellish House

I would recommend this home. The food is very good, the service and staff take care of me and all my needs. It's never too much trouble for them.

Mellish House

I recommend this home because the rooms are very nice and the staff are very good to my Mother. They look after all her needs and I know she is very happy there.

Submit a Review for Mellish House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Mellish House

There are no jobs posted yet for Mellish House

Maekhala

Maekhala Allan

As Home Manager of Mellish House, Maekhala leads her professional staff team in delivering the highest standards of specialist care for up to 48 elderly people living with dementia.

Maekhala is well suited to her current role, having accumulated over 15 years of experience across Adult Mental Health, Elderly Mental Health and Adult Social Care services. She has spent the last six years in management roles and she currently holds SVQ’s in Adult Health and Social Care Levels 3 & 4 and is about to undertake her QCF Level 5.

Maekhala has always had a passion for caring and has personal experience of needing to access good care and support. As such, she applies this understanding to her role, both through the outstanding care she demands from her team and the genuine reassurance she provides for the relatives of those in her care. She sees it as an important part of her role to place residents at the heart of everything that happens and values their feedback on all aspects of life at Mellish House.

She has always gone above and beyond for those she works with, having previously helped to raised thousands of pounds to purchase items that have had a positive impact on those she supports, including a wheelchair power pack for someone to get out and about, an electronic massage bed to help with MS symptoms and a wardrobe full of clothes for someone who lost all their belongings in a house fire.

Maekhala grew up in the local area and is delighted to have settled at Mellish House, having spent the past eight years living and working in Scotland. She is already enjoying the close-knit community life of Sudbury and nearby Great Waldingfield where she now lives.

Away from work, she enjoys reading and spending time with her two teenage sons and the rest of my family. She also loves music, festivals, exercise and socialising with friends.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Mellish House