Mellish House

20a Kings Hill, Great Cornard, Sudbury CO10 0EH

Mellish House, Sudbury, Suffolk

Mellish House is a purpose-built home that offers a service dedicated to supporting adults diagnosed with a form of dementia, based on the expertise of University of Stirling standards.

Stirling’s Dementia Services Development Centre is renowned as the world leader in this field. The Stirling approach ensures that residents are able to move freely around the home, with bedrooms and communal areas appropriately laid out and clearly signposted to minimise confusion or disorientation. Many bedrooms feature a memory box by the front door, where mementos from a resident’s life help to personalise their room and also remind staff and visitors of the individual’s life story.

Mellish House is ideally equipped to provide residential support for elderly people living with different types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia and Korsacoff’s syndrome. However, staff never lose sight of the fact that, first and foremost, Mellish House is home to residents. The home has a light, airy and welcoming ambiance and residents benefit from a broad and thoroughly enjoyable range of activities.

The home offers a full range of residential support, including trial stays, respite breaks and convalescent care as well as long term care. Residents are encouraged to bring important personal possessions to personalise their rooms. Mellish House operates an open visiting policy, where residents and loved ones may visit at convenient times. The home is fully registered with the Care Quality Commission and has ISO9001/2000 and Hospitality Assured accreditation.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Maekhala Allan (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 48 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Parkinson's Disease • Profound & Multiple Learning Disabilties • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Mellish House: click here

9.6 Mellish House has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.595)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Mellish House is based on 32 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.595 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.595 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.595 for Mellish House is based on 32 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.595 for Mellish House is calculated as follows: ( (239 Excellents x 5) + (128 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 380 Ratings = 4.595

The Quantity Score of 5 for Mellish House is calculated as follows:

3. (32 Positive Reviews ÷ 48 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.333 (maximum score = 1)

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Mellish House?

Reviewer Connection to Mellish House

The Overall Average of all the Ratings in the following

12 Reviews* is 4.4 out of 5

*The Average Rating only uses ratings from the 12 reviews. Ratings from the 20 recommendations are not used for the Average Rating as the rating options were limited to Excellent, Good and Satisfactory.

Good choice of activities but I choose not to participate and I am grateful for not being over encouraged into these, the choice is mine. The food was really good all the time, lovely garden which makes me feel at home. Home manager is very good and I have made some good friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

The staff are very polite and helpful. My room is spacious and clean. I feel safe. I believe the activities are good but I am too old for all that now, although staff know I won't they still offer which is nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

I really like the staff and visits from my family. I have a member of staff with me at all times. I like the food and garden.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

Mellish House is excellent, there are not many places with this level of organisation. I am very happy here. The staff work well and do not waste time. They do a good job.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

I'm glad that my mother is in Mellish House, Great Cornard, where she is very well cared for. The staff are not just very professional but also very human. One hears horror stories about certain institutions in this field, but we all know that the residents of Mellish House are treated well.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

My husband was a resident in Mellish House for 4 years and 7 months. He suffered from Lewy Body Dementia. He died on 25th June 2016. He was well cared; the carers were attentive and took particular care to make him comfortable and pain free at the end of his life. I made good friends among the carers and staff. The care home had a family atmosphere. Great enthusiasm and energy went into the provision of activities and festivities and new ideas for entertainment.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

I was made very welcome on arrival and shown to my room, introduced to other residents who I would likely strike a friendship with. I have been in a very difficult situation and every one has been so kind to me.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

I have found all staff caring and office to be kind caring and efficient. If I do have any concerns I talk to the staff and concerns dealt with , as they pointed out if they are not told they are unable to sort things. My husband has settled in well and enjoyed a visit to a garden centre to see Christmas Lights in early December. His main gripe is that the food is not a good as he was used to at home, but I am sure that in time that problem will be resolved. I would certainly recommend the home to anyone looking for a place for a person with dementia regardless of what type they have.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

I have found being here a very happy place great experience, I am used to quality.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

The home is comfortable and private but I don't mix much, my choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Likely

I think the home is very pleasant indeed.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Likely

I like the freedom here, that I'm left alone if I don't want to socialise with others. The carers here and the care they offer is excellent. My room is very nice and spotless.

How likely would you be to recommend Mellish House? Extremely Likely

Earlier this year I made a preliminary visit to Mellish House accompanied by my late partner's daughter. We were both instantly impressed by everything we saw and by the courtesy and professionalism of the young lady acting as our guide. Subsequently I visited my partner in the home many times and my initial impressions were reinforced. It seemed to be the ideal environment, I spoke to many of the carers including the management team and found them to be considerate and diligent at all times. My partner would have loved to have been involved in the various activities and to have interacted with the staff and other residents. However this was not possible as her health had deteriorated so much she needed assistance with eating, drinking, washing etc. Whenever help was needed there was always someone there. She twice required hospital admission, once very late at night and again this happened very speedily and my late partner's daughter being immediately informed. She died at Mellish House on 9th August and I will be forever grateful for the compassion shown by all the staff present at that very sad time. Two months on I still miss going to the home - I do not believe that what I saw there could be surpassed - all that is humanly possible is done.

No Average Rating is available*

My wife has been a resident for over one year. She has Alzheimer's. I have visited her very frequently during this time. I have no hesitation is rating this care home as excellent. It is very well managed and the staff are courteous and very helpful. I can see that my wife is very happy there. On occasions when my wife has required medical attention the staff response has been prompt and very professional. Mellish House is purpose built. It is well designed and the accommodation has a bright "sunny" feel to it which I am sure is very beneficial to my wife. I would have no hesitation in recommending this care home as a safe and well run establishment which has helped my wife, who has a serious illness, to retain some quality of life.

No Average Rating is available*

Every time that I have visited Mellish House I have been received with courtesy by all the staff. Never once has the home appeared dirty or uncared for. The residents all seem reasonably contented- I say "reasonably" contented as they all have some form of dementia.

No Average Rating is available*

I have been visiting my friend since the end of June and July up to the present day twice a week. She has a lovely room which is clean and tidy and has an en-suite toilet and wash basin. She love the food and seems to have settled in nicely. The carers are very nice and caring and treat her very well. If she wants to there are activities which she can join in.

No Average Rating is available*

My husband suffers from Lewy Body Dementia and has been in Mellish House for 3 and a half years. His condition has deteriorated but he has always received good, considerate and compassionate care. Many of the caring staff are Polish, intelligent hard-working people who support each other and are patient with the residents. I have never heard a cross word. Many of the staff have become friends and I feel comfortable there. Sometimes not enough staff on duty but minor emergencies will arise and need to be dealt with. Activities are excellent, much care, thought and ingenuity are given to amusing and interesting the residents. I have had one or two problems with the administration but no problems with the care. My husband seems calm and resigned.

No Average Rating is available*

My wife has been a resident in Mellish House for four years . She settled remarkably well and this has been a great comfort to myself and family. Living near Mellish House I am able to visit her everyday and can see for myself that this is due to the excellent care and support she receives from the staff and management.
We are impressed by the prompt medical treatment and hospital treatment if necessary.
Linda has got to the stage now where she needs help with eating and drinking. I am grateful to the staff for their patience in feeding her by hand and ensuring she can have a stable diet.

No Average Rating is available*

First and foremost it is lovely I like all of it. (the home) The food is good and it is my home. I like the activities and the staff help me as I'm not terrific at them.

No Average Rating is available*

I love my room and the facilities in Mellish House. My room is always clean and I love the food and drink I have always a choice. I like to take part in the activities organised by the staff, although I have some difficulty with hearing the staff are very helpful to me. I enjoy my stay here it is good value for money.

No Average Rating is available*

I like my room it is always nice and clean. The food is excellent. I do not take part in the activities because I am 90 years old. I like the staff working here, everyone treats me with respect and dignity. I like peace and quiet so I spend most of my time in my room. I am very happy to be here.

No Average Rating is available*

I am very lucky to be here it is really nice.

No Average Rating is available*

People are very friendly here.

No Average Rating is available*

I am very happy with the care and service provided to me at Mellish. I am looked after well. My diet needs are catered for. My room is comfortable. The staff are friendly as are the residents, I am happy here.

No Average Rating is available*

I like to be in Mellish House, I like the people who work here and the residents. I have made a few friends. I look forward to the tea rounds, I like to relax. The food here is nice.

No Average Rating is available*

I am very happy staying at Mellish, I feel very much at home, the staff and fellow residents are friendly and approachable. The food at Mellish is second to none. The kitchen staff cater for my tastes and needs.

No Average Rating is available*

On the basis of what I've experienced excellent and the staff are very good.

No Average Rating is available*

I think the staff are good. It's a quiet home but very good.

No Average Rating is available*

I like the home, I like it very much. I feel at home here and the staff are very good. I've enjoyed taking part and choosing my rooms decoration.

No Average Rating is available*

I quite enjoy it because we have lots of activities. We go out on trips. I like my room because I was able to choose the décor. Mostly I like the food but the liver is not cooked to my liking. I would recommend Mellish House to others.

No Average Rating is available*

I have found my stay at Mellish House has been wonderful, relaxing and stress free. I have a good relationship with the staff, they are all lovely. I have made food friends with fellow residents. I enjoy the meals and snacks provided at Mellish House. My bedroom at Mellish House is warm, comfortable and spacious.

No Average Rating is available*

Caring friendly staff. Nothing too much trouble. Room has everything Uncle needed. Photos hung in room to remind him of home. Nice view, used to watch trains.

Submit a Review for Mellish House

Maekhala

Maekhala Allan

As Home Manager of Mellish House, I lead a professional care team in delivering the highest standards of specialist care for up to 48 elderly people living with dementia.

I have over 18 years of experience across Adult Mental Health, Elderly Mental Health and Adult Social Care services, spending the last 9 years in management roles. I hold SVQ’s in Adult Health and Social Care Levels 3 & 4 and QCF Level 5.

As a people person, caring has always been a passion of mine. This is the aspect that makes my job worthwhile, making a positive impact on our residents and their families lives no matter how big or small, in what has become their home and supporting them to continue a good quality of life.

I continuously work to improve and maintain the care standards at Mellish House and have in the past help to raise thousands of pounds to purchase items that have had a positive impact on those I support, including a wheelchair power pack for someone to get out and about, an electronic massage bed to help with MS symptoms and a wardrobe full of clothes for someone who lost all their belongings in a house fire. It’s these personal touches that can make all the difference.

The local community is very important to Mellish House, I have worked hard to build a good reputation to make Mellish a home of choice, this includes a ‘Good’ rating by CQC and a continuous care team who help deliver an excellent standards of care to our residents.

I enjoy the close-knit community life of Sudbury and Feering where I now live with my two teenage sons.

Away from work, I enjoy reading and spending time with her two teenage sons, partner and new puppy. I also loves music, festivals, exercise and socialising with friends.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Mellish House