The Laurels & Pine Lodge, Poole, Dorset

The Laurels and Pine Lodge consists of lovingly restored cottages, making for a stylish setting in which adults with care needs can source expert assistance while enjoying a comfortable retirement.

Located in picturesque Oakdale, lying within the coastal town of Poole in Dorset, The Laurels and Pine Lodge is well presented with secluded, manicured and easy access gardens and a spacious front-facing patio from which residents can enjoy get-togethers or simply watch the world go by.

A fully trained, compassionate and caring team has created an exceptional care home equipped with 54 en-suite bedrooms in total, 32 in The Laurels and 22 in Pine Lodge, a specialist dementia care unit. In addition the home offers ample spaces inside and out, so residents are free to enjoy both companionship and privacy.

The Laurels and Pine Lodge is a family home created with three underlying values at its core. These are care, comfort and companionship.

Group: Hartford Care Ltd

Person in charge: Lisa Sellens (Acting Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Borough of Poole Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 54 residents

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on The Laurels & Pine Lodge: click here

posted 24 Jan 2016

Single rooms with en-suite

The user Review Score of 9.5 for The Laurels & Pine Lodge is based on 39 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.538 is made up of 4.538 Points relating to the ratings and 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The home is satisfactory, would like to see the patients getting out more.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Likely

First impressions everyone seemed very friendly and we have got to know some of the assistants as we visit regularly. Nothing seems to be too much trouble and any problems or worries are sorted as soon as possible. My father is encouraged to join in activities although it's quite a challenge to get him to do this. We do feel relieved that we know he is being looked after, although there is nothing like your own home.

Mum has been here since March. The place is very homely and I feel that she is in good hands.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Extremely LIKELY

My wife has been attending Laurels and Pine for day care for a few months now, I always get a smile, staff are great and my wife enjoys her visits very much.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Likely

I am still getting used to staying in a care home, but would rather be at home. I am only here for respite care but do find the home friendly and comfortable. I find the staff caring and helpful, but if I needed to come into care permanently I would like to look at other homes before I choosing one. I wouldn't rule out The Laurels and Pine Lodge.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Extremely LIKELY

I am on respite stay at present and I am really enjoying my stay. The staff are kind and helpful. The food is lovely. I am looking forward to my trip tot he aquarium this week.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Likely

Nanny was living in her own home until about seven months ago when regular falls and hospital stays meant she needed 24 hour care. Although it would not have been her choice to leave her home it was inevitable. As a family we live locally and someone visits everyday. My nanny regularly tells us how lovely the staff are to her and how she couldn't be looked after any better. Nothing is ever too much trouble. There is always something going on for the residents and nanny is now rested and her quality of life is important.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Extremely LIKELY

I am enjoying my stay here. I join in the activities. I like chatting to the other residents. The food is wonderful and the staff are kind and look after me well.

My mother is very well cared for, she has a lovely room which is always very clean. There are plenty of things going on to entertain the residents, some which include the whole family, open days, fetes and family days etc. The best thing for me is that I see the same staff every time I visit. They are very friendly so you get to know them. The food is good.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Extremely LIKELY

I am very happy at the Laurel. I am very well looked after by everyone.

I am really happy knowing my mother is being very well looked after. All the staff are excellent so caring. They are very welcoming to myself and family when we visit. As a daughter it was very hard for me to have my mother put in a care home after caring for her myself. I now know it was the right decision. I can enjoy her now knowing she is having the best care 24 hours a day.

Very happy with the service being provided for my mum. My mum had a fall and the staff were excellent and caring and prompt to call us. They give compassionate care at all times. We are all happy and my mum is very happy for the placement at The Laurels.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Extremely LIKELY

I was only a resident for two weeks mainly for convalescing after a stay in hospital. I was welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff given a very pleasant en-suite room/toilet and wash basin. Allowed my family photographs a comfortable bed and television. All the residents were very friendly and we enjoyed scrabble once a week and an excellent entertainment. Lunch was served in the conservatory and the food was good, with a glass of sherry on Sundays. I liked the arrangement of two homes one being reserved for dementia residents.

The Laurels is a very friendly and comfortable home. The care given is excellent and dad tells me the food is fantastic. The entertainment is very good. All the staff are lovely and do a fantastic job.

Respite Care

Mum stayed at The Laurels for two weeks during which time she enjoyed a pretty, warm and comfortable room, excellent food and kind and caring assistance with her daily needs. I would not hesitate to recommend The Laurels to anyone who needs good quality, friendly homely care. Thank you , particularly to the managers who run a lovely home.

A Care Home With a Family Feel

As an only child living 70 miles away from my mother, I supported her in her own as much as I could and for as long as possible. As we have a very close relationship I didn't find it easy to more her into residential care. The manager and deputy at that time could not have been more patient and reassuring with me, and mum eased into the Laurels well. When a move became necessary to Pine Lodge I was concerned but she adjusted well. When I visit each week I tend to stay for most of the day so I see how caring the staff are and how hard they work to ensure all needs are met. They always welcome me warmly, make me tea and have become like friends and family to me.

A caring home.

When my wife came to The Laurels in 2011 she was very disturbed. With the care she has had and the tranquillity of the establishment she has settled down. The Laurels, especially my wife's room is always neat and tidy with temperature she asks for. On visiting The Laurels I am always made welcome by the staff and the other residents. I visit my wife every afternoon from 14:00 to 16:15, this I believe helps her memories of the past at our home. I help and take part in all activities and enjoy the very good entertainment arranged for the residents. The food is good and sustaining and one seldom hears the saying 'it's not like home cooking', for which we must thank the very good kitchen staff and facilities.

The Laurels provided very good care for my mother when in for respite care. Atmosphere is very friendly and carers cheerful and compassionate.

Caring staff

Parents were in The Laurels and Pine Lodge Care home for respite care. Staff were very caring to them, also gave me lots of support at a very difficult time.

Living 120 miles away from Poole, I felt happy my parents were in safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend The Laurels & Pine Lodge? Extremely LIKELY

On visiting my Aunt at The Laurels, having recently retired from Care Management of Older people in Hampshire, I was not only visiting but also assessing her care.
I was not only impressed with the staff welcome to me, as an unannounced visitor but I was pleased to see how well and happy my Aunt was. She couldn't wait to tell me about the lovely food she was having. This was born out in her, very necessary, obvious weight gain. She was pleased with her care, her room, activities in the building, she had made friendships despite being a comparatively 'new girl'. She had endured loneliness, living alone also the consequences of falls, resulting in hospitalisation. She was experiencing what she had been told, that memories are in people, not properties. She remembered many things I had forgotten, as we reminisced, no doubt stimulated by the company and feeling so much better. Other residents I spoke to were also happy and appreciative of their care.
The Laurels is homely, not posh. If you are looking for a home for a loved one, don't be influenced by the ambiance of the building, look at the care respect, and dignity given, and shown to the residents.
When I was care managing, my criterion was, would I put my Mother in here?
Now as I am a 'Senior Citizen' Would I be happy to go into the The Laurels when the time comes? Yes I would.

The home has given my mum a new focus, she is meeting ladies and gents her own age, is engaging in activities and enjoys the company, whilst still remaining independent. The staff and management are very friendly and approachable.

I have been here for 4 months now and it is 100%. My mum lived here about 25 years ago and I always said I want to go in there if I have to.

My elderly Uncle is a resident at The Laurels & Pine Lodge and is very well looked after. His room is comfortable, clean and warm and he enjoys the meals provided, having put on much-needed weight since his arrival there over a year ago. He tells me the staff are very good and they are very welcoming to me when I visit him. There always appears to be a lovely atmosphere at The Laurels.

My friend is so happy and content in this home, She speaks so highly of the staff, and enjoys the company of the residents and staff.

My mother spent the last 3 years of her life in Pine Lodge the specialist dementia unit

Having to take your relative from their home and place them in a residential setting is probably the hardest decision you will ever have to make. My only advice is to look at the staff first not the facilities. The Laurels and Pine Lodge is not the most plush of homes there are many out there that are smarter but the staff are amazing and for me that is the most important consideration. In Pine lodge the staff are well trained with a very good understanding of the care needs of patients with dementia. They are very kind and respectful and they allow each person to express their individuality. They understand their residents and will go out of their way to ensure that they can be the best that they can be within the constraints of their illness. The staff are obviously happy at work and this is reflected in the fact that the vast majority have been employed for many years. This means the patients have consistency in their care and that they are nursed by staff who are familiar to them. The atmosphere at the home is always calm and relaxed and simple entertainment is always provided. This is very important in a dementia care setting as residents respond better to routine and a non hurried pace. Finally the staff have great knowledge and understanding of end of life care. Their loving kindness and compassion is exemplary

I am most impressed by the care and attention given to the residents.

I appreciate the personal care to each resident. It is lovely that I am welcomed every time I arrive. There are good entertainments arranged for the residents. As an adapted older house, it would be good if the en-suite arrangements in some of the rooms took more account of the need to get in, out and turn around with a zimmer.

My mother has resided at The Laurels for over 4 years but was moved to Pine Lodge (dementia unit) last august due to her needs for more support, which she certainly receives. I would have no hesitation to recommend the home as all staff are fantastic with the residents.

My aunt was looked after and cared for in a professional and compassionate way. The team is always cheerful and welcoming.

The staff take a real interest in the residents' care and do their best to provide a warm friendly atmosphere for them. They treat each one as an individual and go out of their way to provide a safe and caring environment. I have always found them welcoming when I have visited.

My father received really good care by a dedicated team who really seem to have understood his needs. We were always made welcome when we visited and felt really involved with all of the decisions required for his care. I would not hesitate to recommend Pine Lodge to anyone having similar care requirements for a family member and have already done so on several occasions.

Moreen was a relative recluse before going into The Laurels, since, she has become more outgoing.

My sister is happy at The Laurels and is quite content with all aspects.

All the staff are sweet and kind.

The care is very good.

I love The Laurels because it is homely and caring (not posh). My mother is very happy there. They have lots of activities and fund raising events. A very happy care home.

My Mum has been a resident in the Pines for over a year now. She has had a variety of health problems which have been dealt with by the staff in a very caring and competant way. The staff are always cheerful, greeting visitors with an offer of drinks and biscuits, and have time to chat about Mum's health and what can be done to help her. The day rooms are always clean and warm and patients are kept clean and tidy. There are always a number of staff on duty to maximise comfort and safety. Eating and drinking is encouraged, help given where necessary, and some entertainments are laid on to help reduce the monotony for the residents. It is sad to see Mum in decline, but it is a relief that she well cared for.

The Laurels and Pine Lodge was recommended to me and certainly exceeded my expectations for kindness, care and understanding for my mom in the later stages of Alzheimer's Disease. As well as thoughtful and prompt communication with me, their skill and professionalism enabled me to be confident that my mom was being well looked after, with compassion & kindness, a very important aspect for me as I live abroad and could not visit regularly.

When my mother suffered a series of falls at home, the Laurels was top of our list as we heard many good things about the home. Several of mum's friends were already present. The local Management Team made every effort to accommodate my mother in a very short period of time. Over the last 3 months my mother has settled into the "family" of residents and staff.

Submit a Review for The Laurels & Pine Lodge

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Laurels & Pine Lodge

Care Assistant Nights

£6.97 per hour minimum (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)

Care Assistant Days

£6.97 per hour minimum (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)

Senior Care Assistant Nights

£8.14 per hour (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Senior Care Assistant Days

£8.14 per hour minimum (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Debbie

Debbie Rickman

Joined: 2014

The day to day registered manager is Debbie Rickman. Debbie has worked in care since 1992, in both the public and private sector.

In that time Debbie has gained a wealth of knowledge and experience working within the care sector and has previously managed a 72 bedded care home.

Debbie also holds her NVQ Level 2 & 3 in Health & Social Care and is working towards her level 5.

Sinead

Sinead Bedrijczuk

Job Title: Head of Care

Joined: 2014

Sinead was appointed Head of Care at The Laurels & Pine Lodge in November 2014.

Sinead has worked in the care sector since 2002 and started working for Hartford Care at Stokeleigh as a Care Assistant in 2012.

Sinead holds her NVQ Level 2 & 3 in Health and Social Care and is currently working towards her NVQ Level 5

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Laurels & Pine Lodge