The Laurels & Pine Lodge, Oakdale, Poole, Dorset
The Laurels & Pine Lodge
The Laurels & Pine Lodge

The Laurels and Pine Lodge is a delightful character residence with a cosy, homely atmosphere. Originally known in the local area as 'Stone Farm', the cottages have been respectfully extended and lovingly restored to provide a safe, appealing and comfortable home for residents.

Located in picturesque Oakdale, lying within the coastal town of Poole in Dorset, The Laurels and Pine Lodge is well presented with secluded, manicured and easy access gardens and a spacious front-facing patio from which our residents can enjoy get-togethers or simply watch the world go by.

A fully trained, compassionate and caring team has created an exceptional care home equipped with 54 en-suite bedrooms in total, 32 in The Laurels and 22 in Pine Lodge, a specialist dementia care unit. In addition the home offers ample spaces inside and out, so residents are free to enjoy both companionship and privacy.

The Laurels and Pine Lodge is a family home created with three underlying values at its core. These are care, comfort and companionship.

Group: Hartford Care Ltd

Person in charge: Shona Sydenham (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Borough of Poole Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 54 residents

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on The Laurels & Pine Lodge: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by The Laurels & Pine Lodge

(Single rooms with en-suite)
posted 22 Jul 2014

There are no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Laurels & Pine Lodge

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.6 for The Laurels & Pine Lodge) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Friday 27 June 2014 by Patricia CUFF (Relative of Resident of Laurels Care home)

On visiting my Aunt at The Laurels, having recently retired from Care Management of Older people in Hampshire, I was not only visiting but also assessing her care. I was not only impressed with the staff welcome to me, as an unannounced visitor but I was pleased to see how well and happy my Aunt was. She couldn't wait to tell me about the lovely food she was having. This was born out in her, very necessary, obvious weight gain. She was pleased with her care, her room, activities in the building, she had made friendships despite being a comparatively 'new girl'. She had endured loneliness, living alone also the consequences of falls, resulting in hospitalisation. She was experiencing what she had been told, that memories are in people, not properties. She remembered many things I had forgotten, as we reminisced, no doubt stimulated by the company and feeling so much better. Other residents I spoke to were also happy and appreciative of their care. The Laurels is homely, not posh. If you are looking for a home for a loved one, don't be influenced by the ambiance of the building, look at the care respect, and dignity given, and shown to the residents. When I was care managing, my criterion was, would I put my Mother in here? Now as I am a 'Senior Citizen' Would I be happy to go into the The Laurels when the time comes? Yes I would.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 26 June 2014 by Rose Wilkinson (Day resident)

The home has given my mum a new focus, she is meeting ladies and gents her own age, is engaging in activities and enjoys the company, whilst still remaining independent. The staff and management are very friendly and approachable.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 1 May 2014 by Peter B (Resident)

I have been here for 4 months now and it is 100%. My mum lived here about 25 years ago and I always said I want to go in there if I have to.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 3 April 2014 by Frances Brown (Relative of resident)

My elderly Uncle is a resident at The Laurels & Pine Lodge and is very well looked after. His room is comfortable, clean and warm and he enjoys the meals provided, having put on much-needed weight since his arrival there over a year ago. He tells me the staff are very good and they are very welcoming to me when I visit him. There always appears to be a lovely atmosphere at The Laurels.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 24 March 2014 by Shirley R (Visitor of Resident)

My friend is so happy and content in this home, She speaks so highly of the staff, and enjoys the company of the residents and staff.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Saturday 15 March 2014 by Pat Tomlin (daughter of a previous resident)

My mother spent the last 3 years of her life in Pine Lodge the specialist dementia unit Having to take your relative from their home and place them in a residential setting is probably the hardest decision you will ever have to make. My only advice is to look at the staff first not the facilities. The Laurels and Pine Lodge is not the most plush of homes there are many out there that are smarter but the staff are amazing and for me that is the most important consideration. In Pine lodge the staff are well trained with a very good understanding of the care needs of patients with dementia. They are very kind and respectful and they allow each person to express their individuality. They understand their residents and will go out of their way to ensure that they can be the best that they can be within the constraints of their illness. The staff are obviously happy at work and this is reflected in the fact that the vast majority have been employed for many years. This means the patients have consistency in their care and that they are nursed by staff who are familiar to them. The atmosphere at the home is always calm and relaxed and simple entertainment is always provided. This is very important in a dementia care setting as residents respond better to routine and a non hurried pace. Finally the staff have great knowledge and understanding of end of life care. Their loving kindness and compassion is exemplary

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 10 March 2014 by Joy A (Friend of resident)

I am most impressed by the care and attention given to the residents.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 10 March 2014 by Joan P (Minister of Religion)

I appreciate the personal care to each resident. It is lovely that I am welcomed every time I arrive. There are good entertainments arranged for the residents. As an adapted older house, it would be good if the en-suite arrangements in some of the rooms took more account of the need to get in, out and turn around with a zimmer.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 3 March 2014 by Christine Tait (Daughter of Resident)

My mother has resided at The Laurels for over 4 years but was moved to Pine Lodge (dementia unit) last august due to her needs for more support, which she certainly receives. I would have no hesitation to recommend the home as all staff are fantastic with the residents.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Friday 28 February 2014 by Alan R (Nephew of resident)

My aunt was looked after and cared for in a professional and compassionate way. The team is always cheerful and welcoming.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Friday 28 February 2014 by Peter Dillon (family member of a resident)

The staff take a real interest in the residents' care and do their best to provide a warm friendly atmosphere for them. They treat each one as an individual and go out of their way to provide a safe and caring environment. I have always found them welcoming when I have visited.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 27 February 2014 by Ian Foster (Son of Resident)

My father received really good care by a dedicated team who really seem to have understood his needs. We were always made welcome when we visited and felt really involved with all of the decisions required for his care. I would not hesitate to recommend Pine Lodge to anyone having similar care requirements for a family member and have already done so on several occasions.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 27 February 2014 by David Hayden (Brother in law of resident)

Moreen was a relative recluse before going into The Laurels, since, she has become more outgoing.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 27 February 2014 by Pamela Hayden (Sister of resident)

My sister is happy at The Laurels and is quite content with all aspects.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Wednesday 26 February 2014 by Joyce Bunter (Resident)

All the staff are sweet and kind.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Wednesday 26 February 2014 by Barbara G (Resident)

The care is very good.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Friday 21 February 2014 by Jacqui Stevens (Daughter of resident)

I love The Laurels because it is homely and caring (not posh). My mother is very happy there. They have lots of activities and fund raising events. A very happy care home.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 20 February 2014 by Pat Trayler (Daughter of resident)

My Mum has been a resident in the Pines for over a year now. She has had a variety of health problems which have been dealt with by the staff in a very caring and competant way. The staff are always cheerful, greeting visitors with an offer of drinks and biscuits, and have time to chat about Mum's health and what can be done to help her. The day rooms are always clean and warm and patients are kept clean and tidy. There are always a number of staff on duty to maximise comfort and safety. Eating and drinking is encouraged, help given where necessary, and some entertainments are laid on to help reduce the monotony for the residents. It is sad to see Mum in decline, but it is a relief that she well cared for.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 13 February 2014 by Tessa Tuson (daughter of deceased Care Home Resident)

The Laurels and Pine Lodge was recommended to me and certainly exceeded my expectations for kindness, care and understanding for my mom in the later stages of Alzheimer's Disease. As well as thoughtful and prompt communication with me, their skill and professionalism enabled me to be confident that my mom was being well looked after, with compassion & kindness, a very important aspect for me as I live abroad and could not visit regularly.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Wednesday 12 February 2014 by N Prior (Mother recently become a resident)

When my mother suffered a series of falls at home, the Laurels was top of our list as we heard many good things about the home. Several of mum's friends were already present. The local Management Team made every effort to accommodate my mother in a very short period of time. Over the last 3 months my mother has settled into the "family" of residents and staff.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Thursday 14 November 2013 by Carol Delvin (Daughter of resident)

The staff and management always treat the residents with kindness, consideration and never talk down to them. While the building is not as new as some other homes it is kept very clean and in a good state of repair.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Tuesday 12 November 2013 by Debbie Ferguson (Family of Resident (now deceased))

I know I speak for all my family when I say how very fortunate we were in being able to get my Father into the Laurels after he suffered a heart attack. He went originally for respite care until he got on his feet again but 4 months later he decided he would like to stay! He spent the final 2 years of his life there and was extremely happy with the care and the compassion that he was given. He would always say "Oh yes - you can't fault it!" whenever he was asked if he was happy there. As his family (I was living abroad when he became ill) it was absolutely essential that we had peace of mind that he was in the right place. For me I needed to know he would have the best care in my absence. When I returned home - I could see he had everything he needed, including wonderful activities that he could join in with when he felt so inclined. After contracting lung cancer, we knew his days were numbered and the Laurels assured us they would be able to look after him till the end - while liaising with the MacMillan nurses. Consequently, my Dad was kept as comfortable as possible and even managed to retain his sense of humour, as well as his dignity, while facing his final challenge. I am grateful every day that this was because of Shona and the Staff at the Laurels.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Tuesday 12 November 2013 by Robert Allen (Relative of resident)

Mum was generally very well looked after and it was only in the last few months that certain issues arose with Mum's health and behaviour as she declined further into her total dementia stage. This was owing to behavioural symptoms with the drugs that Mum was taking that had been somewhat alien to what most of the management and staff had witnessed previously in other residents. It was with the loving care and attention that Mum received from the staff in general that the overall situation was made much easier for myself and family and most importantly for Mum before she sadly passed away. It was certainly a learning curve for the care staff and management which should serve them well in future.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Tuesday 12 November 2013 by Lyn Griffiths (care home resident daughter)

The staff are friendly, helpful, and have helped my father to regain his confidence in walking again, so he is now able to go back to his own home. I would definitely recommend the Laurels and Pine Lodge to other people and would not hesitate to place my father back into their care if the need arose.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 11 November 2013 by Simon Longden (Son of resident)

My mother has been a resident for over three years. Much of this time was spent in the Laurels, which suited her needs initially. Earlier this year my sister and I were invited to review mum's ongoing needs with a care supervisor. We reluctantly agreed that her dementia had deteriorated to the point where she was not best suited to the Laurels and spent too much time in her room. Since moving to Pine Lodge she has had a new lease of life. She spends most of each day in the communal lounge and enjoys group entertainment. The staff are courteous and immensely caring. They deserve all the good reviews. We are so pleased that mum is in the right place.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 11 November 2013 by PHIL GODWIN (I AM THE SON OF JOHN GODWIN 5 YEAR RESIDENT)

THE LAURELS IS A WARM CARING HOME A PLACE A FAMILY CAN TRUST TO CARE FOR A LOVED ONE PROVIDING RESPECT AND COMFORT FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT MANAGE ON THERE OWN MY FATHER LIVED HERE FOR FIVE YEARS AND I WAS CONFIDENT THAT HE WAS HAPPY AND WELL TAKEN CARE OF I LIVE IN THE U.S.A. EVERY TIME I VISITED THE HOME WAS TOP NOTCH

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Monday 11 November 2013 by Pat Gallup (My Mother is resident in Pine Lodge)

My Mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia two years ago and I reluctantly had to put her into a Carehome for her own safety and well being. I was not aware of how people become with this illness and had to watch her gradually change from my Mum to another person. Throughout this time the care workers and all the staff at Pine Lodge have supported me and given me time and lots of hugs and cups of tea when I have been upset. They have always done all they possibly can to improve Mums quality of life and make her last days as dignified and comfortable as possible. This has not always been easy as she has a very strong will and is fiercely independent. However, they always greet me with a smile and we always find something to laugh about. The food is freshly cooked and always smells lovely as I walk in past the kitchen. They are very adaptable giving Mum extra snacks and different mealtimes if necessary. I know I couldn't do for Mum what they do 24 hours a day and not only that but they enjoy doing it. They really go that bit beyond what is essential and genuinely care for all their residents. It is just one big family. Although the building is not modern there is a good feeling when you go into it. I cant thank them enough for what they do for my Mum.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Saturday 9 November 2013 by Rosemary Sydenham (Residence Relation)

My Mum's stay at The Laurels was excellent, and the last few months of her life were spent in Pine Lodge where the care was second to non, especially the last week of her life. Also her family was treated with such respect, and was informed at every stage of her final days. Cannot recommend the Laurels and Pine Lodge enough and their staff and Management.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Sunday 3 November 2013 by Geoff Davies (care home purchaser)

Mum stayed until she died, she was looked after with great care and love. Room was clean, and the staff very kind, went into the dementia area for the last few months, and again she was treated with care and love. Also I had a cup of tea each time I visited.

Review of The Laurels & Pine Lodge on Saturday 2 November 2013 by mrs Elizabeth Dear (mother was a resident)

My mum was a resident at The Laurels and Pine Lodge. She passed away on 12 October. The care was wonderful while she was in The Laurels. She had to move to Pine Lodge in the last few weeks of her life. The care that she received was wonderful. In her last few days if we as a family were not able to be with her the staff stayed with mum, and they did that right until the end. We could not have asked for a more lovely way for our mum to reach the end of her life. The staff supported us when we were upset, and did not hurry us to leave or clear mum's room. We will always regard the staff at The Laurels and Pine Lodge with a great deal of love and affection, for what they did for us. You have wonderful care staff there, God bless you all.

Submit a Recommendation for The Laurels & Pine Lodge

Please note this form is only for Recommendations & User Ratings. All submissions are verified by our team of editors, and we will contact you if further details are required. Fields marked in red are required

I certify that this recommendation & rating is my genuine opinion of The Laurels & Pine Lodge and in submitting it I agree to the terms of website use (carehome.co.uk/terms), which I have read and fully understand.

Care Assistants

£7.08 - 7.86 per hour

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Poole , Dorset

23 Jul 2014

Senior Care Assistants

Min £8.04 to £8.84

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Poole , Dorset

14 Jul 2014

Shona

Shona Sydenham

Joined: 1999

Description: Shona has worked at the home since 1999 and became the Registered Manager for the Laurels & Pine Lodge in 2007. She has worked in the care sector since the age of 16, initially with children and then moving to care for older people in 1993. Shona holds her NVQ Level 4 in Leadership & Management. Shona has seen the Laurels & Pine Lodge develop and grow and really loves 'rolling her sleeves up' and getting involved!

Angela

Angela Dengel

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2002

Description: Angela originally started as a Team Leader at the Laurels & Pine Lodge in 2002. She was promoted to Deputy Care Team Manager in 2003 and became Care Team Manager a few months later. As with Shona, Angela began her career working with children and has 16 years experience in care. In 1998, Angela moved into care for older people. She holds an NVQ Level 4 in Health & Social Care, an NVQ Level 2 Risk Assessment Award and an A1 and A2 Assessors Award.

Care Home Idol 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Laurels & Pine Lodge