Hungerford House, Corsham, Wiltshire

Hungerford House is a forty-eight capacity care home located in Corsham, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for adults diagnosed with dementia and other mental health related needs.

Care charity and provider The Orders of St John Care Trust are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Sara McCormack (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 47 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Over 65 only (Except one place). Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Hungerford House: click here

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Hungerford House is based on 18 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.108 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.385 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.723 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.108 for Hungerford House is based on 18 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.385 for Hungerford House is calculated as follows: ( (109 Excellents x 5) + (80 Goods x 4) + (21 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 213 Ratings = 4.385

The Quantity Score of 4.723 for Hungerford House is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

Mum in law has been there two weeks after twelve weeks in hospital. She is very happy there and the staff are very nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

My mother has recently been displaying challenging behaviour (fingers crossed seem to have settled down) and as next of kin I am always contacted. I have been worried and upset that my mother would be becoming too difficult for the carers. Having voiced my fears to a few carers they couldn't have been more lovely to me and about my mum. They really were caring and compassionate to us both and I am very grateful that in such a busy role they find time for relatives too.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

Excellent atmosphere created by wonderful staff giving all residents freedom to be themselves while being responsive to them and ensuring their well-being and security. If my wife and I ever need this care for ourselves, then we would both be very happy with the prospect of spending our last years in this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

My mother came to Hungerford House in August 2015 when her dementia had progressed to the extent that she needed more specialist care. Sadly she passed away at the end of April 2016. We are so grateful to all the staff for the amazing care she received while she was at Hungerford House. The family were always welcome to visit (including the dog!) and whenever we did Mum was always clean, well dressed and cared for. Your staff are so skilful at maintaining such high standards of cleanliness, a consistent good humour and creating an overall air of calm in what must occasionally be quite trying circumstances. The sensitive management of Mum's last days were very much appreciated and we were delighted that two of your staff were able to attend the funeral. Thank you all so much - you are very special people.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

I try to visit my father regularly and always find the house clean and tidy. The staff and manager are so friendly and helpful. Residents appear to be very happy and the staff treat them with care and dignity. A homely but safe environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

I go to daycare twice a week. I really enjoy going and I try to join in all activities. The staff and team are fantastic. They respect our views and they deal with our needs politely, caring and I trust them. Thank you for all that's done for me and my friends. I would be lost without this service.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

As a family we chose Hungerford House as a care home for mum as it was close to home and friends and because of the financial relationship it holds with the council. We have found the staff and management very approachable. Communications have been good. Mum is incontinent and I am aware of the constant effort the staff need to take to keep mum and her room clean.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

After a two month stay in Hospital last year my father was unable to return home to live alone so became a resident at Hungerford House. He has now lived there for just over six months. He has received excellent care and is very happy. The whole team are professional, polite and very caring. I am very grateful to them for making him so comfortable and welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

During my mothers stay at Hungerford House my mother received wonderful care and attention from all the staff. She loved being at Hungerford House as the staff were so friendly and helpful. The house and her room was so clean and the food excellent. During my mothers final confinement prior to her death the nurses could not have been more kind and helpful. We were received always with courtesy and kindness. If my time came i would be quite happy to end and my days in Hungerford House.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

Fluids and food intake were monitored. My father was always dressed and shaved. He mostly sat in the lounge so he didn't feel isolated.

Home well kept, clean, meals okay, staff worked hard - no one told us that most of residents had dementia. My mother stayed for a week whilst I had a break, she was glad to come home. The staff could do with more help as some of the residents were quite difficult to control.

Sara MacCormack, Home Manager at Hungerford House responded to this review on 22 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your review, which is much appreciated. I am sorry you were unaware that some of our residents do have dementia. I believe at the time of your mother's stay, there was a transition in the respite service and communication was perhaps not as efficient as it should have been, for which my apologies. Ordinarily it would be made very clear that the home caters for people with and without dementia, and we do encourage people to come and look around if at all possible, so that they are able to make an informed choice about where they stay, although I appreciate that sometimes this isn't possible. Our aim is for people to maintain their individual lifestyle as close to their previous ways as possible, which means accommodating a wide range of requirements and preferences. Inevitably, therefore, with 48 people living together, that does make for a varied community!

As far as I am away my husband is happy during his stays at Hungerford House and is well cared for. I have been concerned that personal items have gone missing, but as the months have gone by, some of these have been returned to us. My husband needs to be kept busy and on my visits I have not witnessed many activities taking place and have not been able to find games or jigsaws to occupy him. This is one area for improvement I would like to see. Otherwise I am very grateful for what the respite stays gives me and am glad that the staff at Hungerford House are friendly and interested in the welfare of those in their care.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

Sara MacCormack, Home Manager at Hungerford House responded to this review on 24 Sep 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am sorry about the items that have gone missing but am glad that these are being returned. We do encourage people to name their belongings when they come to live here to avoid confusion, there are some residents who will mistake someone else’s property for their own and move it. Wherever possible, we return belongings back to their rightful owners and are keen to recompense those we are unable to find and return.

In terms of activities, we tailor activities to individual needs and encourage people to follow historical hobbies and interests. We are currently recruiting activities coordinators and in the meantime, other members of the team are doing their best to provide as varied a programme as possible.

This care home is good especially as they have a lady attending in afternoon giving quizzes, fun etc. It is also a very pleasant place to be in. The staff are very caring however they do not always consult the care plan!

Sara MacCormack, Home Manager at Hungerford House responded to this review on 01 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to note your comment re care plans. The team is trained always to follow care plans and endeavour to ensure resident’s needs and preferences come first in all decision making and care interventions. Should a resident’s needs, abilities or preferences change, we will work with each person to make sure that the care they receive remains appropriate, safe and person centred. The care plan is then updated accordingly to reflect those changes. I would encourage anyone with any concerns about their care plan to discuss these with me, or a senior member of the team, so that these can be resolved as quickly as possible.

This was the first time that my wife had experienced a weeks respite. I did not detect that my wife was upset at all by the stay. The staff seemed to be very caring and appreciative of her needs, especially the washing and toileting problems. I felt that the home has a need for updating and I also did not like the odour which lingered for some time in the clothes after we got back. I was disappointed not to receive much feedback fro the staff on the week.

Sara MacCormack, Home Manager at Hungerford House responded to this review on 18 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that your wife enjoyed her stay with us. It was our pleasure to look after her. Hungerford House is one of our older properties, but we have just completed a refurbishment which has included new carpets and furniture so the home is looking fresher and more up to date. I have also noted your comments about feedback and will share these with my care colleagues so that we can improve this aspect of our service.

Food is tasteless no salt used. Room is a bit small. Happy with the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Unlikely

Cleanliness: Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Sara MacCormack, Home Manager at Hungerford House responded to this review on 11 Aug 2015:

I much appreciate you taking the time to review our service.. I will pass on your comment regarding the food to our cooks, as we want to ensure that everyone enjoys their meals. In terms of seasoning, you will appreciate that we are catering for a wide range of tastes. For that reason, our cooks add some seasoning and salt, pepper and other condiments are freely available at mealtimes so that more can be added if desired. It is good to hear that you are happy with the care and support you are receiving and I will pass this comment on to the team.

Respite

Very good. Such a valued help for me, I can then keep up with the home cleanliness.

My father in law has been in this home for 5 years and is now 101, my mother in law was in for 2 years with dementia. Dad has been treated with sympathy, understanding and care since she died. He is now healthy but frail and is treated with love.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford House? Extremely Likely

Like a home away from home, giving one the dignity and great consideration.
Thank you!

Submit a Review for Hungerford House

There are no jobs posted yet for Hungerford House

Sara

Sara MacCormack

Joined: 2014

The forty-eight residents at Hungerford House are cared for by a committed team of over seventy staff which includes carers, catering, ancillary and administrative staff. The home is led by the manager who is supported by a Head of Care and team of Care Leaders.

Sara MacCormack started at Hungerford House in March 2014. She has ten years experience in the care sector and has worked in a variety of care settings across the South of England.

Sara began her career as a Care Assistant in West Sussex, working in a residential home for the elderly. She progressed to Team Leader and took up a position in a Learning Disability home, gaining valuable experience with a different group of vulnerable people before relocating to Bristol five years ago and returning to her first love of caring for the elderly.

Sara has worked in both residential and nursing settings, primarily caring for people with a diagnosis of dementia: work she finds incredibly rewarding. Having completed her Dignity Championship, she is currently completing her Level 5 QCF in leadership and Management in a Social Care Setting.

Sara is keen to take Hungerford House even further forward in providing excellent standards of care to people with and without dementia. Sara believes in a compassionate and caring environment, a culture that is led through herself and her senior team. She and the team look forward to welcoming you to Hungerford House.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hungerford House