Gildawood Court Care Home

School Walk, Attleborough, Nuneaton CV11 4PJ

Gildawood Court Care Home, Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Gildawood Court Care Home provides personalised care for older people with dementia who do not require nursing intervention, welcoming both short and long-term needs and providing support for daily living.

Gildawood Court is a purpose built care home designed to provide the highest standards of care and facilities. The Court is tastefully decorated and furnished to create a gracious, elegant and comfortable environment. Of paramount importance and something that the team never forget is that Gildawood Court is home and as such is always open to friends and relatives.

Although Gildawood is a relatively large care home, it is split into 2 areas, the Court and the Annexe, both of which are self contained and operate individually.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Jo Madejowska (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Warwickshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 60 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Gildawood Court Care Home: click here

posted 04 Jan 2017

Please call 0808 223 5508 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org for further information about current Bed Vacancies at Gildawood Court.

8.6 Gildawood Court Care Home has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.554)

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for Gildawood Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 3.9 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Gildawood Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 3.887 for Gildawood Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (64 Excellents x 5) + (63 Goods x 4) + (40 Satisfactorys x 3) + (12 Poors x 2) + (7 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 186 Ratings = 3.887

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 4.667 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Gildawood Court Care Home is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered beds ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.667

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Gildawood Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Gildawood Court Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

- No issues with the care provided to my aunt.
- Staff will also usually answer e-mail enquiries promptly which is a great help to me personally.
- Staff will also contact me to advise if anything is needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Gildawood Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

I was advised a place was available, so I visited and was given the time to chat with management and a tour of the home. Our room was painted in mums favourite colour, so that clinched the deal! She is settled well and is happy and feels it is her home now. This pleases me too, as I can relax in the knowledge she has a structured day, enjoying sociable surroundings and I know she is safe and warm and being well looked after. Any queries I have, the management team soon put my mind at rest.

My mum came to Gildawood in May, originally for respite care but due to her deteriorating condition has stayed as a permanent resident. I didn't want mum to have to go into a home but it has definitely been the best thing for her. The staff are brilliant and as a result she has started to engage with people and take part in activities, which wouldn't have happened if she'd strayed at home.

When I was shown around Gildawood Court I was very impressed with the cleanliness and decided there and then that this was the place for my wife. My feelings have been up and down, but the staff have helped me get to grips with the situation. On three occasions where I wanted to take the wife out for the day, the staff helped and pulled out all the stops to make sure she was clean, tidy and presentable for the event.
Over the last few months I have felt more comfortable visiting than I did at the beginning and I know that she is getting all the proper care that she needs that I could not provide.

I have found the service provided was uneven. Good and not so good. Some staff members are excellent and provide good care to the residents and also keep the relatives informed of their loved one's problems real and imaginary. Others show little interest and fail to see that a resident is comfortable in his or her toilet needs. One can get the impression that the home is short staffed as the lounge where residents can gather is often left without a member of staff in attendance. I have found myself alone with 8 or 9 residents and no qualified carer on hand.

How likely would you be to recommend Gildawood Court Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Management: Poor

Johann Madejowska, Care Home Manager at Gildawood Court Care Home responded to this review on 16 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Gildawood Court, we really appreciate your feedback. At Gildawood Court we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities. We regularly run recruitment campaigns to build our care team, thus ensuring they are able to provide person-centred care and spend valuable time with our residents, and we are pleased to confirm we have made robust improvements in this regard. We always welcome the opportunity to improve and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

The individual rooms are in need of decorating. My father's room which he has been in since August 2015 has a dent/hole in the wall which has never been sorted out. (It was like this when he moved in). Inconsistencies with staff and how they present food and liquid. My father is on stage 2 thickening 'salt recommendation'. Sometimes, you can pour his drink, whilst other times they are the consistency of jelly; this is without standing time. Perhaps training is needed. Overall, staff are very caring and I feel my father is well looked after.

Activities: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Rooms: Poor

I think Gildawood provides an excellent service. The care given to the residents is excellent. My Mum is very well cared for, clean, well dressed and tidy. She is always smiling and most of all, feels secure. The food is a good quality and the staff show consideration, kindness and patience.

Gildawood Court cared for my late husband until he died on the 3rd of June 2016. My husband first attended for day care at Gildawood, he was well looked after by the day care staff, and he enjoyed going for 10 months. In 2015 my husbands needs became greater and I was advised to see if Gildawood could take him on as a resident, fortunately they had a place and my husband moved in within a week. I felt dreadful committing him into care, but it became too much for me caring for him day and night. Our doctor had recommended that I should let go of some of the caring, and become his wife again.

I found the staff not only supported my husband, but also me, and for 16 months. I felt a part of the Gildawood family. I could not have asked for more, if I had a problem or concerns, it was dealt with within an efficient and sympathetic way. Life is not perfect, but I could not have asked for better care and support for my husband. He was treated with patience, kindness and dignity, and I for one will be forever grateful, and in debt to all the management, care staff, night staff, housekeepers and the maintenance men.
They all played their part in supporting both my husband and I.

I cannot recommend Gildawood court highly enough.

My wife has been in care for her dementia since February. The staff have been excellent. She is clean, comfortable and well looked after. They always have time for a little chat with her and are informative to me when I have had any queries.

I get very concerned about missing clothes. I don't seem to make any progress on this. Then, quite often, clothes that are not hers appear in her wardrobe. I agree I should have sewn labels in, but I'm not very good at sewing. My wife's clothes have been missing for many months now.

Cleanliness: Poor

Johann Madejowska, Care Home Manager at Gildawood Court Care Home responded to this review on 11 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Gildawood Court, we really appreciate your feedback. At Gildawood Court we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities. We have listened to your feedback and spoken with our housekeeping team who are currently reviewing their procedures and implementing changes where necessary to ensure our service is of the highest quality. We always welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

Although my mums care home was clean there was a pervading smell of urine throughout the whole of the building.

Cleanliness: Poor

Jo Madejowska, Home Manager at Gildawood Court Care Home responded to this review on 20 Nov 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to review Gildawood Care Home, we really appreciate your feedback. At Gildawood we pride ourselves in providing high quality care and environments and have a strict cleaning schedule in place to ensure odours are kept minimal. We always welcome the opportunity to review and improve upon what we offer and hope you will share your thoughts with us in the home.

My dad has been in care at Gildawood since the 29th of May and he has been very well looked after. His room is very spacious, clean and the food is good. The staff all appear very caring towards my dad and all others in their care. They always seem courteous to all of their needs. My dad appears contented in the care at Gildawood.

There is always an odour of incontinence. No simple prompts or reminders of day/date or time for the residents. Always feels like a sad and lonely place. On my last visit arrived to find front door unlocked. Entered the building and it took quite a while to find a member of staff to inform them that the front door was open. Staff expressed some concern and commented that it had happened before. I was very concerned and prompted staff that they should check that no residents had left the building.

How likely would you be to recommend Gildawood Court Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Activities: Very Poor

Management: Poor

Safety / Security: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Sarah Scott, Marketing Executive at Gildawood Court Care Home responded to this review on 12 Oct 2015:

We really appreciate your feedback. At Gildawood we pride ourselves in providing high quality care and environments, and have a large team regularly cleaning all areas, accidents are immediately cleared up but carpets have also recently been changed. Safety is of very high importance at Gildawood, there are notices to ensure staff and visitors make sure the front is door is securely closed before they walk away. We welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

I find the carers at Gildawood overall to be very caring with residents. I have a partner/resident who is extremely challenging and they do their very best to manage his care with dignity. They telephone if there is a problem so communication is excellent. There were early problems mainly because of his behaviour and problems with medication, hopefully these are being resolved. I would like to see more activities for the residents.

Johann Madejowska, Home Manager at Gildawood Court Care Home responded to this review on 26 Aug 2015:

Thank you very much for your review, we really appreciate your feedback. At Gildawood we pride ourselves on providing high quality care and support. The accurate monitoring and administration of medication is a high priority at Gildawood, and we work in very close partnership with our residents and their GPs to ensure that requirements are met.
We believe it’s important to provide regular activities and tailor these for each individual resident. To facilitate a wide range of activities we have two full-time activity co-ordinators running group and individual activities seven days a week. We always welcome the opportunity to review and improve upon what we offer and hope you will share your thoughts with us in the home.

Gildawood is a superb care home specifically for dementia. The en-suite rooms are light, airy and spacious and cleaned thoroughly the home is modern and well decorated with pleasant grounds and a happy atmosphere. Just occasionally there can be an unpleasant odour. The management and staff are extremely helpful, obviously dedicated to their jobs as there is a low turnover of staff and I've never seen agency staff. They feel like a big happy family in a homely environment. In general I feel the residents are treated with respect and care, residents look clean and well dressed, there is a hairdressers on site the staff do an amazing job at meeting their needs. I would definitely recommend Gildawood

The care home is good for it's purpose, but as my husband has dementia they can only do their best. I wish he didn't have to be in there but unfortunately he has to be. I know everyone is good and kind, it doesn't matter where he is, things won't be good.

How likely would you be to recommend Gildawood Court Care Home? Likely

Sarah Scott, Marketing Executive at Gildawood Court Care Home responded to this review on 05 Aug 2015:

At Gildawood Court we pride ourselves on providing high quality care and support. We work hard to tailor activities to the needs and likes of individual residents. We believe it’s important to provide regular activities and have two full-time activity co-ordinators running group and individual activities seven days a week. We always welcome the opportunity to review and improve upon what we offer and hope you will share your thoughts with us in the home.

Submit a Review for Gildawood Court Care Home

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

Jo Madejowska

Joined: 2011

Jo Madejowska is the Manager and face of Caring Homes at Gildawood Court.

A Registered General Nurse with many years experience working with older people and in the care home environment. She has been awarded a Diploma in Higher Education in Dementia Studies from Bradford University and has gained her NVQ Assessors Award (D32/D33) ensuring she is able to support and train her own staff at Gildawood Court.

Jo has a real passion for care of older people and takes genuine delight in ensuring residents at Gildawood are fully supported and are given a nurturing environment in which to live. Making Gildawood a home and not just a working environment is essential.

Jo enjoys all aspects of her job – providing person-centred care for the residents, supporting all levels of Staff, Relatives, Carers and Visitors, liaising with other Professionals to ensure Service Users are fully informed, and updating her knowledge to keep ahead.

As the Manager of Gildawood Court ,Jo loves the interaction with staff, residents and relatives at the home and can frequently be found lending a hand to her team. Jo particularly enjoys supporting her team and learning all about her residents’ lives in order to provide them with a truly exceptional level of care. She can be found offering guidance and support and has an open and honest approach. Jo recognises individuality and values, and gives care accordingly.

Jo cites her proudest achievement as being able to hold down a full time nursing career whilst bringing up a family and being made manager at Gildawood. Family is very important in Jo’s life and this was recognised when she recently celebrated her 25th Wedding Anniversary. Jo enjoys caring for her family, and spending as much time with them as possible. She enjoys reading fiction novels but seems to have very little time to do this!

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Gildawood Court Care Home