Homewood, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

Homewood care home in Leamington Spa, employs a qualified, friendly team to deliver a warm, welcoming environment for older people.

Staff are keen to help residents maintain an active lifestyle.
Older people can enjoy en-suite and shower facilities, comfortable communal areas, as well as a coffee shop and garden room.

There is a variety of nutritious food available for residents.
Those with special dietary needs are catered for and relatives can visit any time and have a meal with their family member, if they wish.

Residents' bedrooms reflect their likes and preferences and they have the choice of their own telephone in their rooms.

Staff work hard to improve the home for people that live there and welcome involvement from outside groups, so that the home can remains part of the local community.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Person in charge: Mary Khan (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Warwickshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 50 residents

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Homewood: click here

Review Score: 9 (8.973)

The user Review Score of 9 for Homewood is based on 9 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 8.973 is made up of 4.713 Points relating to the ratings and 4.26 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

Homewood Care Home staff looked after my father on the nursing floor from 2012-2013 when he was very ill with heart disease (complicated by falls and leg ulcers). He died there in April 2013 (aged 92) and could not have had better care - so kind and compassionate. In January 2013 my mother (aged 92) was admitted to the residents floor with some dementia problems - unable to care for herself any more. She is 94 and a half and the staff are very patient and kind. The staff have also been very caring towards my sister and I and all the family.

How likely would you be to recommend Homewood? Extremely LIKELY

Our family has been associated with MHA Homewood since May 2012 when my father became a resident aged 91. He was cared for wonderfully being very ill for his last six months he died there in April 2013. We were all treated in a very caring and kind manner together with many staff coming in to visit my father in his final hours. My mother came to Homewood in January 2013 before his death and is still a resident. She has very different needs now aged 94 and staff are very good with her. She can be very difficult. The day of my fathers funeral Homewood were exceptional allowing us free use of the facilities for family after. A carer came with my mother to the crematorium to help my sister and I. The week my father came to Homewood it was my parents 70th Wedding Anniversary and a special lunch was arranged for us - Wonderful

Following my friends hospitalisation in January 2013 I was pleased to see her settled at Homewood for, as a missionary and committed Christian, was pleased to find a home with a Christian ethos able to take her and care for her. The home seemed to me to do a good job of looking after her and although she had difficulty they seemed to help and support her with dignity right to the end.

How likely would you be to recommend Homewood? Likely

Our uncle has been a resident in Homewood for almost four years. He has always been happy and contented, enjoying a wide range of activities. He has very much appreciated the Christian ethos of the home. At the end of his life he was wonderfully cared for in a gentle, dignified and compassionate manner.

Fantastic Care in a Contemporary Setting

My mum became a resident at Homewood in February 2014 and had always aspired to doing so should she become widowed. From first inquiry until today we have found the staff at Homewood to be highly professional, friendly and caring. My mum has settled into the home very happily and enjoys participating in many of the activities that are organised. The home is also well supported by the local Methodist Church which is important to her (Mum was a Methodist Lay Preacher). Our elderly neighbours and their son were so impressed by mum's experience of the home that when the need arose they also chose to go to Homewood. The reputation of Homewood in the local communities is very high, which suggests that our experience is shared by many others.

How likely would you be to recommend Homewood? Extremely LIKELY

I strongly recommend the care provided at Homewood.

My mother has lived at Homewood for ten years. As her infirmity increases she is cared for by the staff in a responsive, loving and caring manner. The staff understand her and her individual needs well.
Mum's family have the security of knowing that Mum is content and safe: all her needs are attended to.
It is easy for us to link with Homewood: staff are always available to respond to queries, and to liaise with about practical matters. They are friendly and supportive to Mum's relatives.
Mum has made many friends among the other residents. She is able to participate in activities she enjoys. She has the companionship of the chaplain when she needs it.

Wonderful care at Homewood

My mother spent four and a half years at Homewood. Prior to moving there she had been lonely, found it difficult to care for herself, look after her house or cater adequately for her own nutrition needs. She had always said that when the time came to go into residential care it should be to an MHA home if at all possible. Within a few weeks my mother had regained her alertness and sense of humour, and looked better than she had done for a couple of years. She enjoyed the food, which she said was well-cooked and plentiful, with alternatives provided and individual attention to dietary needs (and having shared a number of meals with her over the years I can confirm that this was the case). Homewood always seemed to be fresh and clean. My mother's room although not huge was entirely adequate, if a little on the dark side, and with a good en-suite wash/shower room. Activities were provided each day, but there was no compulsion to join in. My mother appreciated the pastoral care given by the Chaplain. I was so pleased that she was evidently happy, and I knew she was getting excellent care. Staff tended to stay for some time, treated my mother with dignity and cheerfulness, and always greeted me by name. Aspects of my mother's care plan were discussed with me when appropriate, and there were meetings for relatives.
My mother enjoyed good physical health at Homewood until the last few weeks, when she went into hospital for tests which confirmed a serious condition. After a few days she went back to the loving care of the MHA staff at Homewood, who did everything they could to ease the last couple of weeks. I was able to be with her for much of that time and at the moment of her passing. Throughout that time the staff were very supportive and kind towards me and my wife, keeping us fully involved in my mother's care. Indeed it was a great privilege to experience at first hand the wonderful and affectionate care that she received from all the staff - over the last four and a half years my mother had frequently said that Methodism could be proud of the way it looked after the elderly people in its care, and in this she was entirely correct. I hope that there will be somewhere as good as Homewood if I ever need residential care.

How likely would you be to recommend Homewood? Extremely LIKELY

Homewood is modern, purpose built 3 floor home that is properly equipped and a delight in comparison to the converted rabling draughty stately homes or rabbit hutches that can be found. Is it perfect? No. I have yet to find the perfect home (and I strongly suspect we couldn't afford it if we did). But it really does the job of caring for my mother.

The rooms are not overly large but they suffice and, more importantly, are always at a comfortable temperature, be it winter or summer. The en suites are excellent. Some residents have the TV on a tad loud but it doesn't affect their neighbours. Doors and passage ways are wide. The home has the necessary kit to assist residents with mobility and comfort.

Residents are treated with old fashioned respect, care and compassion. They are well looked after on their good days and on their bad days by staff who are cheerful and professional, often in the face of some quite significant challenges as residents suffer the afflictions of old age.

Homewood is a caring, clean home where my mother is safe. I can go on holiday without any worry. It is very, very unusual for it to fail the 'sniff test' and that reflects the very high standards of cleaning and promptness of attention to problems.

The staff respect Mother's requests about how she is to be treated and she is called by her first name. Not 'love', 'my duck' or other modern terms of endearment.

The current manager has really put the home on an excellent footing after a period of rapid turnover and high agency utilisation which left relatives concerned. The staff turnover seems very low and they know their residents and the relatives. It is difficult to thank them enough for what they do.

There are regular resident/relative meetings and a genuinely open door to discuss problems or suggestions.

I have seen many care homes costing a lot more and somewhat less. Come the awful day that I need this kind of care, I won't be worried if my family puts me in Homewood.

My mother has been in Homewood since it opened over 4 years ago.
I visit my mother most days and am constantly impressed by the quality of care.
Problems & concerns, that I may have, are listened to and addressed.
The building is clean and smells fresh.
The atmosphere created by the team is caring and positive.
It is a place where I know Mum is in good hands and where I feel welcome.

Submit a Review for Homewood

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Homewood

There are no jobs posted yet for Homewood

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Homewood