Smalley Hall Residential Home, Ilkeston, Derbyshire

Smalley Hall Residential Home has grounds with lovely views. Residents can make good use of the pretty courtyard garden in the summer months. The trees and planting in the garden encourages wildlife and birds to visit. This garden is used for summer fetes and BBQs with family and friends. In fact the summer fayre is usually a massive hit, drawing in local residents to enjoy the day.

With only 27 residents when full you can be sure that the attention to detail at Smalley Hall is second to none. Well trained staff feel more like family as they are such a close knit team. The lovely manager even brings her dog Monty to work every day to keep everyone entertained.

There are lots of things to keep you busy at Smalley, from arts and crafts, quizzes and games, to trips out and live entertainment. Cooking club is a favourite amongst the residents where snacks are made by residents and family recipes are shared with the cooks so everyone can try them!

Also with regular visits to the onsite hairdressing salon you will be looking your best, and with regular visits from a chiropodist, dentist, physiotherapist and GP when required, you can feel very well looked after indeed.

Group: Ashmere Care Group

Person in charge: Jeanette McCallen (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Derbyshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 27 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £566 – £669 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £545 – £637

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Smalley Hall Residential Home: click here

The user Review Score of 9.7 for Smalley Hall Residential Home is based on 11 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.655 is made up of 4.84 Points relating to the ratings and 4.815 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

Management are keen to ensure all residents receive the best possible care. Staff work hard to maintain high standard of cleanliness. Good activities with trips out to local attractions when weather permits. Meal are good with several choices each day.

How likely would you be to recommend Smalley Hall Residential Home? Extremely LIKELY

I have lived here for over 4 years, I have always felt like I fit in and the staff are like my family. They know what I like and don't like and when I need something they do their best to help me get it. There's lots of trips and activities never a dull moment and if I want some quiet time there is a lovely conservatory. All my needs are truly met here everyone goes above and beyond to make us all happy. I love it and all my friends too (other residents).

I am very happy living here. I come and go as I like. I go shopping every week and out for lunch once a week. I get everything I ask for, the staff are very friendly and kind and its always spotless. I can make myself a drink or snack whenever I want it. I like the entertainers every week and the quizzes. The most noticeable thing is, it doesn't smell like a residential home it always smells nice.

I like to spend my time in my room doing what I want to and nobody interferes with me. All my needs are met and it feels homely. Staff are really nice and let me carry on with myself. They always include me in everything and they don't get at me when I say no. It's just how I want to spend my time left. I am told it's called person centred, I think its just how it should be.

I have lived at Smalley Hall Residential Home for 6 months. It is lovely and the staff are just like family. There is lots to do and I am not pestered to do anything I don't want to. Its always cleaned and the food lovely, I get to go on lots of outings and we have entertainers every week. I can't think of a fault to tell you, we have a dog and a cat and some giant snails who are part of our family too.

Respite care for the elderly

Bright clean rooms, happy atmosphere with other residents. Trips out to visit the country side if you want to take part. Time goes quickly during the day as there are activities to do and entertainment such as dancers. Better one to one care as this is a smaller size of care home. Slightly more experience than some other homes but worth it.

Felt very welcome on arrival - mother loves the staff. Lunch was good - free to visitors!! Please make a charge? Staff professional and caring. Hairdresser wonderful and obeyed mother's instructions on style. Ratios of staff to residents good.

My mother has been a resident at Smalley hall for a year. It is a friendly and well run home, above all the staff work hard to make residents comfortable. The food on offer is very good. The menus are varied and accommodating and the food itself is good quality. It is all freshly prepared and certainly looks and smells delicious! The house is comfortable, homely and very clean - all down to the same consistent hard work of the house keeping staff. My mother always looks clean and smart and for this I have to thank the wonderful laundry service. There is a programme of activities on offer every week, all the residents are encouraged to participate in the in-house activities. Major events are celebrated and there are usually photos to show relatives. The manageress is very good and knows all the residents in her care. When on duty, she is always available for a chat to discuss my mother's needs. She currently leads a strong team who maintain the highest standards of care she expects. I am very pleased that my mother is at Smalley Hall as It means I can relax, knowing she is in good hands.

Mum moved in to Smalley Hall in August 2013 after living with us for nearly 9 years. Initially for rest care after a period in hospital she quickly became "comfortable" at the home and decided to stay. She has now been there coming up to two years and we have always found the home and the staff welcoming, courteous and warm. I would recommend Smalley Hall to those looking for a home for their elderly loved ones without reservation.

Being the main carer for my mother-in-law for over 10 years in our family home, putting her into a care home was a very difficult decision to make and cope with. The care home made it much easier for us and mum with the welcoming care, reassurance and attention we all got. Mum has been in the home 18 months now and being 92 and of sound mind (just not body) she is happy and content with life in the home. The staff are very caring and considerate and you are always greeted with a friendly smile and a warm hello. The activities available for residents are amazing and although mum doesn't like to participate we do all appreciate the amount of effort that goes into trying to encourage her to join in. Both management and staff always communicate concerns about mum and it is very reassuring to know she is being well looked after and cared for. Keep up the good work Smalley Hall we do really appreciate all your efforts! :)

My mother in law needed extra care in the run up to Christmas; it was an especially emotional time. Care workers were always willing to listen and provide support to the family, as well as the resident.
It is so comforting to know that she is being looked after by people who really care, and are prepared to go the "extra mile" above and beyond their role on a regular basis. Thank you

Submit a Review for Smalley Hall Residential Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Smalley Hall Residential Home

There are no jobs posted yet for Smalley Hall Residential Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Smalley Hall Residential Home