Southernwood Promoting Independence Centre in Gateshead provides support for people who struggle to live alone and allows people to live independent lives.

Southernwood is one of 4 Promoting Independence Centre's and can offer short term accommodation for up to 24 people at a time whilst allowing service users to meet new people and participate in daily activities.

Southernwood specialises in mental health care, dementia care as well as physical disabilities and care for older people.

The staff at Southernwood work with outside organisations to help users of the centre to live independent lives.

Group: Gateshead Council

Person in charge: Janet Regan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Local Authority Owned , 24 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Latest CQC* Report on Southernwood: click here

The user 'Review Score' (9.8 for Southernwood) is based on 23 reviews. The Review Score is is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user reviews submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user reviews submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Review Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user reviews please click here.

Please note that before 1st July 2015 carehome.co.uk only accepted Recommendations (positive only), and as of 1st July 2015 all of the Recommendations are referred to as Reviews, and along with all Reviews (positive and negative) submitted since the 1st July 2015 they are included in the calculation of the Review Score. For further information on our move from Recommendations to Reviews please click here.

Southernwood

I come to Southernwood for respite to give my wife a break. Can't fault anything about Southernwood from manager to all staff- great. Always treated with respect and dignity, keep up the great work.

Southernwood

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Southernwood. Staff have been friendly and helpful, nothing seemed to bother them. I also enjoyed taking part in the day care activities.

Southernwood

I have been happy and have enjoyed my stay and would come back for respite. The staff have been very kind and helpful and I've enjoyed the company of other service users.

Southernwood

This was my husbands first stay at Southernwood due to reorganisation of care provision, so he was very apprehensive..On returning home,he could not have given everyone higher praise than to say "I will happily go back! " Congratulations and thanks to them all.

Southernwood

Well appointed room and en-suite bathroom, excellent meals and tea making facilities good laundry service, friendly staff and dedicated. Activities arranged. Smoking provision.

Southernwood

My mother in law has recently become a resident at Southernwood and has been treated with absolute dignity, warmth and with a sincere caring attitude in this wonderful care home. The staff are very caring and they ensure all residents are very happy and feel cared for and wanted. The staff are also excellent when dealing with family members and could not do any more to ensure all involved are very happy and secure with the situation. I would highly recommend this care home to any vulnerable person who needs to be cared for and who wants to be somewhere which is very friendly and very safe. Thank you Southernwood!

Southernwood

I think Southernwood is an excellent centre and also the staff. I came in regulararly for respite and also day care activities. I would recommend Southernwood to anyone wishing short term stay.

Southernwood

The care at Southernwood is second to none. It's the best care ever my mother has received and this includes many hospital stays. Southernwood may not have the bells and whistles of the most expensive care homes, but the staff have show compassion and attention and have treated my mother with dignity and respect, which for me is most important. When my mother first went into Southernwood she was really frail within a week she was back to her lovely self and this was down to the care she has received. For the first time for as long as I can remember I can sleep at night knowing my mother is safe. My family cannot thank the staff enough.

Southernwood

My mother was transferred to Southernwood from hospital for assessment. This was a six week stay unfortunately my mother fell and fractured her wrist which changed things. I would like to stress this was no fault of the home it was one of the reasons she required assessment as she had been falling. I couldn't fault the staff and management they do an excellent job in difficult circumstances. I rated the rooms and facilities lower as I feel they could do with upgrading but that is no fault of the staff.

Southernwood

I am writing this with my fathers knowledge and consent. My father has stayed at Southernwood on one occasion prior to this stay and was happy and content to return for respite care. He was treated with care and dignity at all times. He enjoyed his meals very much, laundry was taken and returned the same day. His room was comfortable, he was helped to shower and dress by carers. He enjoyed some of the activities i.e bingo overall he cant speak more highly of the care home. Myself and my family are happy and settled that my dad was content and happy with his stay. Southernwood deserves to be recognised for the fantastic service it provides, long may it continue.

Southernwood

This is the first time my brother has been in respite. I was always reluctant to leave him because I looked after him myself and I never thought he would get the care I gave to him. He has learning disabilities and suffers from Bi-Polar Disorder so he needs a lot of care. But coming into Southernwood I was happy to leave him after speaking to the manager and staff knowing that they would take care of him. I felt peace of mind and please he was in a safe environment.

Southernwood

I have Dementia so they say and I tend to forget things quickly. I asked staff to write this as I leave tomorrow- If I forget they remind me. They treat me as a friend and a person, the food is lovely and my room always clean. I will remember you always even if I do forget. Thank you.

Southernwood

Mum was admitted for 6 weeks rehab. assessment after falling frequently at home and worsening of her dementia. The staff and management were very kind, helpful and caring towards mum. The food was good and readily available. The bedroom was basic and not being able to add any personal items made it even more cell like. The main living room was small and there were not enough armchairs meaning residents were often had to stay sitting at the dining table. Mum often commented "I cannot get a seat" and If she left her seat she fretted it would be taken on her return, because resources are limited. I understand the lack of facilities and activities and the staff did very well in restricted circumstances.

Southernwood

Really enjoyed my stay, only came for a short break (respite) will look forward to coming back. Staff very friendly and help.

Southernwood

Understanding and caring to the person in the home and visitors alike. Everybody is friendly and helpful.

Southernwood

Mam stayed here for six weeks respite. The care and attention she received was excellent. The staff provide a very effective and efficient service both carers and administrators.

Southernwood

Staff were very attentive and considerate. My mother was looked after with respect and dignity. The atmosphere is friendly and management were approachable. A range of activities were on offer to stimulate and encourage residents. Mother felt safe and assured.

Southernwood

Could not fault my stay at Southerwood care and support was excellent. Will be returning again for more respite stay to give my wife a break. Treated with dignity all the time, staff asking for choices.

Southernwood

I cannot fault anything about Southernwood, I was staying for a week's respite. The staff work to a very high standard and very professional. I would go back for a holiday any time, made some lovely friends. Would just go back for the staff. Would just like to say "Thank You".

Southernwood

Our mother Betty was transferred from the QEH to Southernwood for assessment. Our family were concerned because she is independent and with our help has lived alone for a number of years. She settled in very well and did not want to leave. The staff were exceptional. They were highly trained, professional and very caring. We cannot thank them enough.

Southernwood

I can not fault the care or the support from all the staff and are very friendly and willing team. I've enjoyed my time at southernwood, very high standard. Always given a choice of menu everyday. I enjoyed joining in the activities overall view it's a well run centre.

Southernwood

Enjoyed my weeks respite stay at Southernwood. Everyone from manager to floor staff do a great job, very friendly and supportive. Loved the food, very high standard of cleanliness. Enjoyed the company will be going in July- like a 5 star hotel.

Southernwood

The staff were extremely kind to my mum and myself, I felt I knew them really well. I observed them to be very kind to other residents. I visited at all times of day and night, mum was always clean and tidy, they helped feed her (she was assessed as needing 24 hour nursing care), they sat with her and reassured her, mealtimes were organised, clean and tidy. I felt we were helped all the way. Activities were organised by staff, quiz, manicures etc.

Submit a Review for Southernwood

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Southernwood

There are no jobs posted yet for Southernwood

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Southernwood