Southernwood

Trafford, Allerdene Estate, Low Fell, Gateshead NE9 6LH

Southernwood Promoting Independence Centre in Gateshead provides support for people who struggle to live alone and allows people to live independent lives.

Southernwood is one of 4 Promoting Independence Centre's and can offer short term accommodation for up to 24 people at a time whilst allowing service users to meet new people and participate in daily activities.

Southernwood specialises in mental health care, dementia care as well as physical disabilities and care for older people.

The staff at Southernwood work with outside organisations to help users of the centre to live independent lives.

Group: Gateshead Council

Person in charge: Janet Regan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Local Authority Owned , 24 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Latest CQC* Report on Southernwood: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Southernwood is based on 51 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.761 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.761 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.761 for Southernwood is based on 51 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.761 for Southernwood is calculated as follows: ( (477 Excellents x 5) + (120 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 610 Ratings = 4.761

The Quantity Score of 5 for Southernwood is calculated as follows:

3. (51 Positive Reviews ÷ 24 Registered Beds) x 2 = 4.250 (maximum score = 1)

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

I have enjoyed my stay in Southernwood. I have made lots of new friends in staff and other residents. I have had a good laugh and have enjoyed the activities. The staff, food and activities have all been of a high standard. It's nice to have people listen to you and be interested.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Pleasantly surprised on my first visit to care home. Very clean. Rooms spacious. Essential furniture- plain cleanliness. Bathroom adjoining with all necessary equipment. My husband had a key worker overseeing his welfare. Staff were efficient, reliable and caring, going that extra mile to see that service users were content. Activities organised by staff. Outside entertainers came on occasion and were enjoyed by service users and staff. My husband was well cared for and wished to go again as he enjoyed the experience. I would strongly recommend this facility.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother was in Southernwood for assessment and re-rehabilitation. During her stay the staff were all friendly, welcoming and supportive to her and myself.
They cared for her very well and gave an honest and excellent assessment of her condition and behaviour.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

Staff very aware of problem facing service users and the difficulty of a small group of patients.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Felt very comfortable and welcome here. Staff treated me well and were able to accept how deaf I was and needed extra time to understand what was being said.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I have enjoyed my stay, it has been very nice. I love the food and playing bingo. The staff have all been very nice to me. I would love to come back again.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Clean and caring. My aunt thrived in the environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Following a period of ill health and a 2-3 week stay in hospital I was encouraged to stay in this care home facility before returning home. This proved to be the right choice as I have been extremely well looked after and thanks to the carers for retaining my independence and because of this transition I return for home tomorrow!

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

I was not happy about leaving my home - but staff have helped as to understand why I need to go into long term care.
I was involved in picking my own place as well.
Staff here are very friendly and happy even when very busy.
Will miss Southernwood and wish I could liver here.
the food was really good and made to feel safe.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother suffers from 2nd stage alzheimers disease compounded by repeated water infections that require increasingly stronger antibiotics. Mam was admitted to Southernwood again for 24 hour care and and I must share my gratitude and external appreciation for the quality of care provided by all the staff at Southernwood. This home is to be commended for it's professional approach in dealing with vulnerable folk. I have no hesitation in recommending Southernwood as an excellent care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I've learnt a lot from other people. I've been well cared for and watered. Enjoyed my meals. I felt safe while I was in Southernwood and if I had to come back here health wise I would.
Staff were good girls and you could speak your mind and explain any problems.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I have found the centre to be excellent. Both the staff and the food are first class. My only negative is the bed was too narrow. I have loved the company and the chatter. I have loved the day centre as I feel I have 'used my brain'.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I did not like the idea of coming to Southernwood but I'm so glad I did- I have never regretted it - I will be sorry to leave. I have loved the staff, the food, the day centre. I have made many friends and heard many stories about people lives.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Bedroom could have been larger as I have a lot of equipment. I have loved the time I have been here- everything is fantastic- its been out of this world.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I was in Southernwood from the 31st Jan until 14/1/16. I was very happy with the care given. All staff were there for me when I needed any support. My meals were nice, although I was also on build up drinks. Fully supported by all staff, very happy with my care, glad I came here before returning home.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Enjoyed my short time at Southernwood while waiting package of care. The support was outstanding by all staff cannot fault this service. If I need to go anywhere it would be Southernwood, very high standards. Good job we have support like this. Well done all.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother spent 4 short periods of respite at Southernwood since November 2014 until October 2015 and a 5 week period of assessment in November/December 2015 and on all occasions I was confident she was in very capable hands. My mother was very happy and had full confidence in the staff to look after her. There was a very happy family atmosphere which was very evident to me on my visits.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Having had my mother in for respite on three occasions this year, my family and I cannot thank the staff of Southernwood enough for their kind care and attention which was given to her. The standard of care was more than we ever expected and to know our mother was in good hands was most pleasing for the whole family, and gave us peace of mind to know she was being well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Love coming to Southerwood for my holidays while my son is on his holidays. He always emails to book my place which is great. Staff work very hard and are always smiling, treating everyone with respect and dignity, I would say all the staff. Love the day care activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Mum taken in for urgent respite care. Mum settled in very quickly - appeared clean, tidy, well fed and cared for. Staff friendly, very hard working, very supportive. I am impressed by the fact staff know what she has been doing, how she is coping. Very pleased with service provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

The staff are brilliant with my Nanna, who has serious dementia. They are pushing her to use her memory as much as possible, and she does seem happier while there.

They are looking after her well, and monitoring her closely. I felt very reassured that she was being well looked after. All the staff I met were friendly, and helpful and the whole building had a very lovely feel about it. Rooms are basic but very clean and have plenty of space in there.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mam was only there one night and then got put back into hospital but the staff there were very friendly and showed a lot of compassion for my mam and were very kind and bent over backwards to help her. My family hold every respect for their dedication.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mum was allocated respite care to enable my family to go on a much needed break. She received a warm welcome from staff and gave us very positive feedback when we returned and came to see her. Southernwood staff were very caring and monitored mum's health closely to ensure that she had access to medical support when needed. At all times they kept our family updated and could be relied on to do their best for mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Mother was looked after with dignity, care and consideration, staff were attentive and caring. Mam felt at home and safe. Cannot speak too highly of the establishment, they were excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

When I came to Southernwood I was underweight and did not look after myself - living in a caravan on a farm. I am now much better in myself - I've put weight on and enjoy company more. Staff at Southernwood and my social worker have helped me get a new house with support and sorted out my pension. I feel now I have an identity and look forward to my future - you cannot fault the lasses here, they really encouraged me to get where I am. Thank you.

My father has been in Southernwood before for assessment and respite. This is his fourth time and he is in for assessment following a fall which has left him with a broken arm. He is 90 yrs. old and the break in his arm is near the shoulder so he cannot have plaster just a collar and cuff. He has lost his confidence walking and is in pain. The staff at Southernwood once again are excelling at looking after him. They have patience with him and treat him with utmost dignity. He is always immaculately dressed and clean. I am a retired nurse and have high standards. I can highly recommend the wonderful home Southernwood.

Very good care.
Great place for respite.
Friendly staff.
Flexible.
Good Food.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Trusted the staff with dad. Staff felt genuine. Home sometimes smelled of urine. Home looked tired and worn. Remote controls for TV too complicated. Staff always acknowledge you and I felt they actually cared. Home did not look much but the staff more than made up for it.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I come to Southernwood for respite to give my wife a break. Can't fault anything about Southernwood from manager to all staff- great. Always treated with respect and dignity, keep up the great work.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Southernwood. Staff have been friendly and helpful, nothing seemed to bother them. I also enjoyed taking part in the day care activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I have been happy and have enjoyed my stay and would come back for respite. The staff have been very kind and helpful and I've enjoyed the company of other service users.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

This was my husbands first stay at Southernwood due to reorganisation of care provision, so he was very apprehensive..On returning home,he could not have given everyone higher praise than to say "I will happily go back! "

Congratulations and thanks to them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Well appointed room and en-suite bathroom, excellent meals and tea making facilities good laundry service, friendly staff and dedicated. Activities arranged. Smoking provision.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother in law has recently become a resident at Southernwood and has been treated with absolute dignity, warmth and with a sincere caring attitude in this wonderful care home. The staff are very caring and they ensure all residents are very happy and feel cared for and wanted. The staff are also excellent when dealing with family members and could not do any more to ensure all involved are very happy and secure with the situation. I would highly recommend this care home to any vulnerable person who needs to be cared for and who wants to be somewhere which is very friendly and very safe. Thank you Southernwood!

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I think Southernwood is an excellent centre and also the staff. I came in regulararly for respite and also day care activities. I would recommend Southernwood to anyone wishing short term stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

The care at Southernwood is second to none. It's the best care ever my mother has received and this includes many hospital stays. Southernwood may not have the bells and whistles of the most expensive care homes, but the staff have show compassion and attention and have treated my mother with dignity and respect, which for me is most important. When my mother first went into Southernwood she was really frail within a week she was back to her lovely self and this was down to the care she has received. For the first time for as long as I can remember I can sleep at night knowing my mother is safe. My family cannot thank the staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

My mother was transferred to Southernwood from hospital for assessment. This was a six week stay unfortunately my mother fell and fractured her wrist which changed things. I would like to stress this was no fault of the home it was one of the reasons she required assessment as she had been falling. I couldn't fault the staff and management they do an excellent job in difficult circumstances. I rated the rooms and facilities lower as I feel they could do with upgrading but that is no fault of the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

I am writing this with my fathers knowledge and consent. My father has stayed at Southernwood on one occasion prior to this stay and was happy and content to return for respite care. He was treated with care and dignity at all times. He enjoyed his meals very much, laundry was taken and returned the same day. His room was comfortable, he was helped to shower and dress by carers. He enjoyed some of the activities i.e bingo overall he cant speak more highly of the care home. Myself and my family are happy and settled that my dad was content and happy with his stay. Southernwood deserves to be recognised for the fantastic service it provides, long may it continue.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

This is the first time my brother has been in respite. I was always reluctant to leave him because I looked after him myself and I never thought he would get the care I gave to him. He has learning disabilities and suffers from Bi-Polar Disorder so he needs a lot of care. But coming into Southernwood I was happy to leave him after speaking to the manager and staff knowing that they would take care of him. I felt peace of mind and please he was in a safe environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I have Dementia so they say and I tend to forget things quickly. I asked staff to write this as I leave tomorrow- If I forget they remind me. They treat me as a friend and a person, the food is lovely and my room always clean. I will remember you always even if I do forget. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Mum was admitted for 6 weeks rehab. assessment after falling frequently at home and worsening of her dementia.
The staff and management were very kind, helpful and caring towards mum. The food was good and readily available.
The bedroom was basic and not being able to add any personal items made it even more cell like. The main living room was small and there were not enough armchairs meaning residents were often had to stay sitting at the dining table. Mum often commented "I cannot get a seat" and If she left her seat she fretted it would be taken on her return, because resources are limited. I understand the lack of facilities and activities and the staff did very well in restricted circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Likely

Really enjoyed my stay, only came for a short break (respite) will look forward to coming back. Staff very friendly and help.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Understanding and caring to the person in the home and visitors alike. Everybody is friendly and helpful.

Mam stayed here for six weeks respite. The care and attention she received was excellent. The staff provide a very effective and efficient service both carers and administrators.

Staff were very attentive and considerate. My mother was looked after with respect and dignity. The atmosphere is friendly and management were approachable. A range of activities were on offer to stimulate and encourage residents. Mother felt safe and assured.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Could not fault my stay at Southerwood care and support was excellent.
Will be returning again for more respite stay to give my wife a break.
Treated with dignity all the time, staff asking for choices.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I cannot fault anything about Southernwood, I was staying for a week's respite. The staff work to a very high standard and very professional.
I would go back for a holiday any time, made some lovely friends. Would just go back for the staff. Would just like to say "Thank You".

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

Our mother Betty was transferred from the QEH to Southernwood for assessment. Our family were concerned because she is independent and with our help has lived alone for a number of years. She settled in very well and did not want to leave. The staff were exceptional. They were highly trained, professional and very caring. We cannot thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Southernwood? Extremely Likely

I can not fault the care or the support from all the staff and are very friendly and willing team. I've enjoyed my time at southernwood, very high standard. Always given a choice of menu everyday. I enjoyed joining in the activities overall view it's a well run centre.

Enjoyed my weeks respite stay at Southernwood. Everyone from manager to floor staff do a great job, very friendly and supportive. Loved the food, very high standard of cleanliness. Enjoyed the company will be going in July- like a 5 star hotel.

The staff were extremely kind to my mum and myself, I felt I knew them really well. I observed them to be very kind to other residents. I visited at all times of day and night, mum was always clean and tidy, they helped feed her (she was assessed as needing 24 hour nursing care), they sat with her and reassured her, mealtimes were organised, clean and tidy. I felt we were helped all the way. Activities were organised by staff, quiz, manicures etc.

Submit a Review for Southernwood

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Southernwood

There are no jobs posted yet for Southernwood

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Southernwood