Owner: Mrs I West

Person in charge: I West (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Caerphilly County Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 13 residents

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £415 – £511 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £400 – £470

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care & Social Services Inspectorate* Report on Gilwern House : click here

* Care & Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Gilwern House

February 2014

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.9 for Gilwern House) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Gilwern House on Tuesday 19 August 2014 by Carol L (Friend)

I visit Gilwern House several times a week to see a friend; there is always a warm welcome, cup of tea and cake. The residents that live there are happy chatting, watching T.V, or reading, and say what lovely meals they've had. My friend is not very well at the moment but she cannot praise the staff enough for the care she gets. I think Gilwern House deserves recognition not just for the care they give but the way they respect the people that live there and make it their home.

Review of Gilwern House on Wednesday 6 August 2014 by Brenda J (Friend of Resident)

This was my first visit when I visited my friends private bedroom. It was first class! Light and airy, looking out onto the gardens it really was a home from home. The staff are all very welcoming and helpful, a cup of tea arrived within ten minutes of our arrival. All the other residents we met were happy and chatty, a good sign of contentment I thought. I am looking forward to my next visit, not dreading it as often happens.

Review of Gilwern House on Thursday 31 July 2014 by Elizabeth Walker (Daughter in law of resident)

I would most definitely recommend Gilwern House to anyone who is looking for residential accommodation. The staff are friendly and just like family, the food is excellent as are the bedrooms, it is like home from home. We never feel strange or like outsiders when we go to visit, in fact I like it and always feel relaxed and comfortable there. Iris is always chatting and getting involved with their welfare. Definitely 10 out of 10.

Review of Gilwern House on Friday 25 July 2014 by William Sayer (Sister)

I feel it's the best. My sister is well looked after, the staff are wonderful and I feel the management could not be any n=better they are marvelous, and if I needed to go in a home I would not hesitate for this one.

Review of Gilwern House on Wednesday 11 September 2013 by pamela powell (daughter in law resident)

Gilwern House is well run with a friendly approach but none the less professional. The care of the resident is paramount but also their families are respected and welcomed. We are more than happy with our relative to be here and have no issues at all.

Review of Gilwern House on Wednesday 28 August 2013 by Gloria Bushell (Daughter of resident)

I know I speak for the rest of my family when I say the home my mum is in is excellent. She left hospital in Feb this year, very fragile and unable to care for herself. Since she has been in Gilwern she has gained weight, is much more herself and all because of the wonderful care she gets. The food, staff and facilities are great. All the staff are approachable and my mum is very happy there, something we thought we would never see.

Review of Gilwern House on Friday 23 August 2013 by Patricia Harris (Daughter of resident)

We were all worried about dad having to go into a home, but the staff are all so friendly and welcoming, and are lovely to dad. He settled very quickly and seems quite happy. He is treated with dignity.

Review of Gilwern House on Wednesday 21 August 2013 by Diane S (Friend of resident)

Visiting my Mothers friend Bile what a lovely, friendly home.

Review of Gilwern House on Friday 9 August 2013 by Grace T (Residents wife's friend)

I have never visited such a lovely caring home. Everyone looks so happy there.

Review of Gilwern House on Friday 9 August 2013 by Margaret R (wife of resident)

I am so thankful we have found such a useful, caring home. My husband says everyday 'it's like being in a five star hotel'.

Review of Gilwern House on Thursday 4 April 2013 by Keri Backhouse (Daughter of service user)

My Mother went into The Gilwern as an emergency admission in January 2013. Whilst there she received excellent care and compassion. The staff, particularly the owner, Iris, went beyond the call of duty in providing a safe, caring and comfortable environment. When my Mother's condition deteriorated and she had to be taken to hospital, Iris visited and would have been very happy to nurse her in the home if circumstances had allowed. I would recommend The Gilwern unreservedly.

Submit a Recommendation for Gilwern House

I certify that this recommendation & rating is my genuine opinion of Gilwern House and in submitting it I agree to the terms of website use (carehome.co.uk/terms), which I have read and fully understand.

There are no jobs posted yet for Gilwern House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Gilwern House

Other Care Homes located nearby to Gilwern House

Click here for information on how to remove the 'other' Care Home listings from your profile page