Owner: Mrs I West

Person in charge: Iris West (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Caerphilly County Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 13 residents

Admission Information: Ages from 65 to 105.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £510 – £558 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £480 – £500

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care & Social Services Inspectorate* Report on Gilwern House: click here

* Care & Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The user Review Score of 9.9 for Gilwern House is based on 13 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.949 is made up of 4.949 Points relating to the ratings and 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

Gilwern House is a lovely home and I would thoroughly recommend it. There is a very homely feel there. The food is first class home-cooked fare, and the home is spotlessly clean and well appointed. Above all, the managers and staff are highly professional and marvelously caring. My mother was very happy there and greatly enjoyed the company, the activities, and the care she received. I cannot praise Gilwern House too highly.

How likely would you be to recommend Gilwern House? Extremely LIKELY

My mother is so happy myself and my family has seen such an improvement in her THANKS SO MUCH to the Manager and her wonderful team of workers *****HOMECARE ***** I would be so happy to volunteer next year when I retire myself to help out there they have so much fun so many activities not enough hours in the day absolutely love to be involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Gilwern House? Extremely LIKELY

Beautiful care home very well looked after the staff are really good taking time to spending with the residents. Always there to help with the bathroom and other personal things, food is excellent everything home cooked.

How likely would you be to recommend Gilwern House? Extremely LIKELY

My mother is treated with respect and dignity, the manager and all the staff are very caring.
My mother likes plain food, but there is plenty of choice for those who wish to try different recipes.
I would highly recommend Gilwern House.

Irene Knight.

How likely would you be to recommend Gilwern House? Extremely LIKELY

My mother-in-law, Mrs Lily Gameson, posted away on 1st March 2015. She lived there for 18 months, she had very good looking after and when she died she died with dignity. I will recommend Gilwern House to my friends.

This is a home where the emphasis is defiantly focused on care. The owner/manager Iris West and her staff always welcome you with a friendly smile, and are always available to address any concerns you may have. The care they give to the residents is excellent. All their needs catered for. The home is immaculately clean. There is armchair exercises every morning followed by a quiz, bingo or a crossword to help stimulate the residents. The food is cooked fresh every day with an excellent variation of dishes, residents can request preferences for tea. This is a real home from home for the residents where they and their families feel they are well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Gilwern House? Extremely LIKELY

My brother has resided in this care home for the past 6 months. I have nothing but praise for the care delivered, the staff and the owner. The standard of care is excellent and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Individual needs are catered for and there is always a friendly smiling face to hand. Rooms are clean, comfortable and residents are encouraged to make them as homely as possible. My brother is very happy and comfortable here.

My mother was at Gilwern as well. We thought it was well run then, and still is.

The management and staff ay Gilwern House have been caring for a close friend for the last 20 months. I have been very impressed with the care and affection shown to my friend who died recently. She was always treated with dignity which is so important. Friends and family are made to feel welcome. Always a cup of tea offered. I cannot praise the home enough, long may it continue.

I visit Gilwern House several times a week to see a friend; there is always a warm welcome, cup of tea and cake. The residents that live there are happy chatting, watching T.V, or reading, and say what lovely meals they've had. My friend is not very well at the moment but she cannot praise the staff enough for the care she gets. I think Gilwern House deserves recognition not just for the care they give but the way they respect the people that live there and make it their home.

This was my first visit when I visited my friends private bedroom. It was first class! Light and airy, looking out onto the gardens it really was a home from home. The staff are all very welcoming and helpful, a cup of tea arrived within ten minutes of our arrival. All the other residents we met were happy and chatty, a good sign of contentment I thought. I am looking forward to my next visit, not dreading it as often happens.

I would most definitely recommend Gilwern House to anyone who is looking for residential accommodation. The staff are friendly and just like family, the food is excellent as are the bedrooms, it is like home from home. We never feel strange or like outsiders when we go to visit, in fact I like it and always feel relaxed and comfortable there. Iris is always chatting and getting involved with their welfare. Definitely 10 out of 10.

I feel it's the best. My sister is well looked after, the staff are wonderful and I feel the management could not be any n=better they are marvelous, and if I needed to go in a home I would not hesitate for this one.

Submit a Review for Gilwern House

February 2015

There are no jobs posted yet for Gilwern House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Gilwern House