Cumberland, Mitcham, London

Cumberland care home in Mitchum, Surrey, is a skilled dementia care facility courtesy of care provider Care UK, one of the country's growing and widely-respected healthcare experts.

The home has 48 rooms available to practice a person-centred care approach, placing great emphasis on personal dignity and providing as many opportunities as possible for those with dementia to develop their personal confidence and independent living skills.

Cumberland maintains strong links with the local community, often inviting local schools, churches and other groups to take part in social events, much to the delight of residents.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Tamba Lamina (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Merton Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 53 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Cumberland: click here

8.7 Cumberland has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.748)

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Cumberland is based on 11 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 8.748 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.333 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.415 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 8.748 for Cumberland is based on 11 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.333 for Cumberland is calculated as follows: ( (56 Excellents x 5) + (64 Goods x 4) + (12 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 132 Ratings = 4.333

The Quantity Score of 4.415 for Cumberland is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Cumberland?

Reviewer Connection to Cumberland

The Overall Average of all the Ratings in the following

6 Reviews* is 4.6 out of 5

*The Average Rating only uses ratings from the 6 reviews. Ratings from the 5 recommendations are not used for the Average Rating as the rating options were limited to Excellent, Good and Satisfactory.

My father has been a resident for the past five months. From the very first time we visited the home we were welcomed by all the staff. The staff deliver a high standard of care and are always very cheerful. It is difficult for a family member to move into long term care, but this has been made easier by the care and concern of all the staff, not only for my father but for my mother and the rest of our family.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

I am a regular visitor to the Cumberland Care Home to see my brother, I think the care home is well run, clean and tidy. The staff have to deal with a variety of residents, all with their own particular problems, sometimes staff shortages and the need for many residents needing one to on supervision. The need to physically handle the transportation of most residents, for dining and personal requirements, adds to the pressure on the staff.

Even so I see a lot of personal reaction between the staff and residents which makes the residents feel more comfortable, and a happy environment under the circumstances that prevail. I have one other observance that is : My brother has besides his dementia, hearing difficulties, requiring hearing aids, the hearing loss is caused by the noise during working life on large printing presses. He is still able to communicate but I find the staff are not trained to cover that part of his condition, of checking the batteries or the servicing of the hearing aids, thereby restricting his participation in some of the activities in the home or communication in general, unless I do it myself.
Maybe this is something that should be renewed??
Being of an older age myself, with my own mobility difficulties I see how difficult it is for my own family and the staff to relate to the needs and thoughts of elderly residents.
I only visit for short periods of time, the home runs 24 hours a day but I appreciate the efforts made by the staff doing a very difficult job looking after my brother and the rest of the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

My wife has been a resident at Cumberland for 10 months. It has taken some time to realise what a difficult task the nurses and carers have to do hour after hour, shift after shift. They carry out their duties most professionally and with the utmost respect for their charges and with kindness and good humour. The management, admin and support staff also impress carrying out their duties to residents and visitors with respect, kindness and always with a warm welcoming smile. I thank them all for easing my wife (and me) through this last difficult period of our lives together.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

We have found clean and pleasant surroundings on every visit. We have observed patients being treated and fed where necessary with dignity and kindness. My husband has one to one 24 hour care and we have never found him unattended when we visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

After looking at several care homes I was recommended the Cumberland in Mitcham. It was the best decision I ever made. My husband is happy and settled in right away. The staff are caring and helpful. Myself, my daughter and son are always made welcome and offered tea/coffee. Although it was a hard decision to make putting my husband into care after 57 years of marriage it was effecting my health caring for him (I am 83 years old) At least I know my husband is well looked after and is happy that is my main concern.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

My siblings and I are all very happy with the Cumberland as a home to our father, who has fronto-temporal dementia. It is friendly, welcoming, clean and well-run. The staff offer a range of activities for the residents to participate in, and we are particularly impressed by their community engagement events and events for families to join in with. The staff seem to genuinely care about our father and it is nice to see how they interact with him. Overall I get the impression that this home is always trying to improve and if there are any problems, they are dealt with quickly and efficiently. We very much hope that our father will be able to stay at this home until the end of his illness.

How likely would you be to recommend Cumberland? Extremely Likely

After 10 years of care- 3 homes stayed in , several viewed and live in home care, The Cumberland answered reservations about all the previous e.g.
1. Welcome staff
2.Good sized room
3. Openness to suggestions and concerns
4. An excellent manager who encourages 'a work progress' attitude and is honest about difficulties and willing to act on suggestions
5. A good understanding of dementia. I recommend this nursing home.

No Average Rating is available*

I would recommend this care home to others. The staff are friendly and approachable and give a good quality of care, and even when a problems arises the manager and nursing staff are keen to have it rectified as soon as possible.
The food is usually very good, there is always a choice of food. The home is kept clean with no "smells". The rooms are all "en-suite" and fairly well furnished. There are two day rooms, a TV lounge and a quiet lounge, and also a dining room.

No Average Rating is available*

My Husband has been a resident for 8 years and my family and I are very satisfied with the high standard of care provided. The staff are kind and pleasant and the management are always seeking feedback from residents and their families. They will do their best to act on suggestions thus continually improving the service.

No Average Rating is available*

What a wonderfully warm response group of staff. I have been so impressed at how they have helped my 91 year old mother settle in so well. I have seen the staff at all levels concentrate on ascertaining my mothers needs, from the essential to the trivial. Nothing is too much trouble. I am delighted and relieved to see my mum have such excellent care.

No Average Rating is available*

The home seems to be well run and the staff are polite and friendly. I have no complaints about the care given to my mother in law.

Submit a Review for Cumberland