Hungerford Care Home, Hungerford, Berkshire

Hungerford Care Home provides general nursing care and has a separate wing providing specialist nursing care for those with Dementia.

The Home is situated in a beautiful rural location in Berkshire with extensive grounds and gardens. Wildlife and chickens frequently roam the grounds which include a rose garden and orchard.

The home has a multi-sensory room in the dementia wing, with hairdressing, aromatherapy and chiropody services available on site.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Mirabela Balaci (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Berkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 52 residents

Specialist Care Categories: AIDS/HIV • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German, Polish

Facilities & Services: Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Hungerford Care Home: click here

posted 15 Jan 2016

Single large rooms - ensuite

The user Review Score of 8.9 for Hungerford Care Home is based on 9 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 8.940 is made up of 4.694 Points relating to the ratings and 4.246 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The care and compassion taken by all the staff at this care home in looking after my mother is in my view class leading. The staff are both wonderful in discharging their duties to the residents and also to visiting relative. Each visit has been a good experience. The care home has undergone extensive refurbishment in 2015 and has resulted in a much needed face lift for the home. All rooms are now a very good standard, the staff are this care homes greatest asset.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I feel very well looked after, the staff are all wonderful and go out their way to help me.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

As a former care and warden for social services I have found Hungerford Care Home a clean, efficient and caring home. This is my husbands 4th year in here. Although I live in Newbury I visit several times a week. I like to feed him when I can. In my opinion it is better than most places. I've considered moving him closer to Newbury but the standards are not there when you have a good look at others standards etc. There will never be a perfect place but this home is one I always recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I know from some of my contemporaries whose parents had been sometime residents at the home that this home has had issues in the past but the service provider has re branded itself, spent a good deal of money in refurbishment and put in place new management. The Care Quality Commission (the regulator) has made two relatively recent inspections including an unannounced snap inspection and the current management should be justifiably proud to have converted in somewhat under a year a 'needs improvement' assessment into just about 'good' all round which for the CQC , notorious for 'nit picking', is praise indeed. The aim is of course to be 'outstanding' and at the present rate of progress that should not be long in coming.

One thing that is apparent from the CQC's reports is that the residents themselves are quite positive about the care they receive and I can honestly say that my 94 year old father who suffers from dementia and can be a little 'difficult' has positively blossomed since leaving my care and that is because he is stimulated by his environment in a way that could not be done by me. As an aside, it is also because I know that he loves being made a fuss of and that is just what the staff do and I am told by them that he is quite a character.

In summary there is a real community feel to the home as relatives such as myself are made welcome and given a number of opportunities during the year to attend events and voice any concerns they may have. The staff also go to some trouble to create events for the residents such as 'Diwali Day' when the staff all dressed up in Indian garb and at Christmastime elves were in evidence! Need I say more.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

All of the care staff are very good. I'm very well looked after and feel very safe.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Likely

Staff have always been helpful and prompt with any request I have made. I am writing to express my thanks for the present and meal, I had with everyone on Xmas day.
I would also like to express my admiration with how well all the care staff coped with the upheaval during the time the workmen were in. Despite disturbance, they all appeared to stick to routines very well.
So I hope the companies management were grateful for their efforts (good on you boys and girls).
I wish everyone a good and happy 2016 with thanks once again.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Whilst my mother was only resident at Hungerford for the last month of her life, my family and friends who visited were all very impressed with the care and support given by staff at the Hungerford Care Home.
Not only did they treat Mum with great care, respect and dignity, their support extended to my Father and my siblings during what was obviously a very difficult time for us all.
My Mother had been an inpatient in Hospital since May 2015 and was transferred to Hungerford Care Home on 28 August 2015. Whilst I appreciate that the Hospital is an acute hospital with different priorities and many staff changes, the difference in care received made us all feel much happier during those last few weeks. In particular the home was going through major refurbishment and decoration at this time, but this did not deter from the care and attention given to Mother, for which we will always be grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend Hungerford Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

No complaints. Very satisfied with everything.

Hello, I placed my mother at Hungerford care home in January 2015 following a move from a London care home. I am so pleased I found this home, the staff, surroundings and home are absolutely fantastic. My mother well being has improved dramatically over the past couple of months and I know she is being well looked after. I would highly recommend this care home to family and friends.

Submit a Review for Hungerford Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Hungerford Care Home

Domestic Assistant

Competitive (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)

Care Assistant

£7.82 - £8.27 (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Registered Nurse Days/Nights

£15.12 (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Care Assistant

£7.82 - £8.27 (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Dan

Dan Man

Joined: 2015

My mother is a nurse and I learn that no other job will gives you the satisfaction of making the difference in people's life.

Catalin

Catalin Paduraru

Joined: 2015

I become a nurse because what I know to do is to care for the others. When you do something from the heart will always have good results.

Kanika

Kanika Sharma

Job Title: Activity co-ordinator

Joined: 2013

Supporting people with dementia to be occupied, stimulated and engaged is the best way to maintain their quality of life and can also have many benefits such as improving mood and spirit.

Frances

Frances Songhurst

Job Title: Activity co-ordinator

Joined: 2015

Oomph! classes are fun, imaginative and entertaining, using upbeat music, colourful props and fun dance routines that build confidence and create a party atmosphere that staff and residents really engage with. To see residents’ eye light-up is wonderful!

Lin

Lin Thomson

Job Title: Care Coordinator

Joined: 2000

I have always believed that caring for someone is more then just doing the practical daily living things in that real caring is trying to improve their quality of life making it more enjoyable and tolerable like just being a real caring friend who will do things for them that will make a real difference to improve their life's and not someone who is just doing a job

Mihaela

Mihaela Birzu

Joined: 2015

My job is my passion. To be a nurse is an honour.

Bella

Bella Balaci

Joined: 2015

Registered nurse with over 14 years experience of working in Mental Health and Dementia, pationate about high quality of care.I promote effective lines of communication and develop positive working relationships, both within the home and families, other professionals and agencies involved in the care of residents. Experience as End of life co-ordinator, Infection Control Link nurse and Tissue Viability Link nurse

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hungerford Care Home