Hulcott Care Home with Nursing

The Old Rectory, Hulcott, Aylesbury HP22 5AX

Hulcott Care Home with Nursing, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Hulcott was formerly the Rectory to All Saints Church in Hulcott, and is located just off the A418 due north-east of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Hulcott provides both respite and permanent care to 38 elderly people who require personal care and nursing support.

The approach to nursing and healthcare needs at Hulcott is discreet. As much or as little support as an individual requires is provided, whilst ensuring that each resident retains their right to privacy, independence and dignity.

Each resident, and their relatives, are offered the opportunity to be involved in developing their individual care package together with a senior member of the nursing team; this ensures that the package of care is appropriate and supports independence and quality of life.

Hulcott Nursing Home is a distinguished character house that has been lovingly restored, retaining its wealth of character through its prominent architectural features, which are today complemented by contemporary furnishings to provide bright and spacious accommodation.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Margaret Smart (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Buckinghamshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 38 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Hulcott Care Home with Nursing: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Hulcott Care Home with Nursing is based on 26 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.643 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.643 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.643 for Hulcott Care Home with Nursing is based on 26 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.643 for Hulcott Care Home with Nursing is calculated as follows: ( (209 Excellents x 5) + (61 Goods x 4) + (20 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 291 Ratings = 4.643

The Quantity Score of 5 for Hulcott Care Home with Nursing is calculated as follows:

3. (25 Positive Reviews ÷ 38 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.316 (maximum score = 1)

Complete peace of mind leaving both my parents in the care of Hulcott Care Home in their time of need. The care that both mum and dad received in their final days remains a great comfort to me and my family and we shall always be grateful for the care and compassion they were shown. Mum and dad were helped to spend time together at Hulcott Care Home under the care of manager and her great staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Hulcott Care Home with Nursing? Extremely Likely

My family and I cannot express how grateful we are to this beautiful care home and the most amazing staff. Our Dad/Granddad, moved into Hulcott just before Christmas. From the moment we entered we knew in our hearts that we had found the most perfect place for his End of Life Care. There was peace and tranquility amidst lots of smiles and laughter and the care, each and everyday, was utmost. We will never ever be able to thank the Manager and Staff for the kindness and thoughtfulness shown to Dad and the rest of us during his short stay with them whilst he was so poorly, but we know that he felt safe and happy throughout that time.

My mother, who had been a resident for 4 1/4 years (2 1/4 bedridden) began deteriorating. As her daughter I spent eight days and two nights at her bedside. The gentleness and caring by all the staff during this time, towards my mother and other residents became apparent throughout all the time I was there. Sadly my mother passed away, but I know the staff had all helped to make my mother feel secure and safe during her life there.

Our family would like to thank everyone at Hulcott Nursing Home for their excellent support, compassion and the care and love that they showed towards my grandmother in her final days. It was a real comfort to know how well she was being cared for and that nothing was ever too much trouble for any of the staff.

My mother and father were residents for a time in 2015. Mum had recently had an amputation of her leg, was wheelchair bound and had early onset dementia and Dad was frail with some medical conditions. They are both now 90. We did encounter some lovely individual Carers with high standards of care who were very kind and skilled at what they do, others were so-so. We did begin, however, to have some misgivings about the very obvious profit making drive of Caring Homes as an organisation and while appreciating it is a business the 'penny pinching' was evident in the furnishings in some rooms, the quality of many of the meals and the lack of entertainment. The renovated rooms are fine but at the time of our association with Hulcott, the other accommodation (bedrooms) was very tired. The gardens, however, are work in progress but lovely. While we were grateful to some excellent staff members for the care they provided to Mum and Dad, we did have an occasion where emergency hospitalisation was necessary (at our insistence) and when we later wanted clarification of events, sadly, we were left concerned at the complacent attitude of the Area Manager. The decision was made to bring Mum and Dad home and they are happily settled with live-in care at their own home.

How likely would you be to recommend Hulcott Care Home with Nursing? Unlikely

Margaret Smart, Marketing Executive at Hulcott Care Home with Nursing responded to this review on 03 Feb 2016:

Thank you very much for your review, we really appreciate your feedback. Hulcott has recently benefited from a substantial investment and refurbishment programme, which we hope has helped to improve the environment in the home. We work in very close partnership with our residents’ GPs to ensure our residents’ health and wellbeing is of the utmost priority at all times, and would urge you to contact us again if you wish to discuss this matter further. Please provide your preferred contact details to our Head Office, and the Regional Operations Director covering Hulcott will return your call.

On the very first time of entering Hulcott Care Home, with nursing, I was greeted in the most friendly and caring manner. I had dropped in without an appointment as I was on the way to see my mother in hospital, and wanted to make enquiries into a placement. The manager could not have been any more kind, understanding if she tried. Within 3 days my mother was in her own room, the staff are friendly and most welcoming. Always a smile and that's all staff who we meet, whatever their job.
All my mother's visitors have said this to me, so I know it's not just when I am around. I feel they cannot do enough for her and her care is their priority.

My mother was admitted as an emergency respite care resident for initially two weeks. She had reacted extremely badly to prescribed medication and would hopefully recover after the drugs had worked out for her system. Sadly this did not happen and she died on the 3rd of October, 2015. The care she received at Hulcott was second to none. She was treated with care and dignity at all times. The staff were magnificent and the manager was superb. My sister, daughter and myself were also treated brilliantly. Nothing was too much trouble for all of the staff involved in my mothers care. I would not hesitate to recommend Hulcott to anyone.

The staff are excellent, very friendly and also keep me informed of any problems regarding the client. Nothing is a problem that the staff cannot respond to.

Mum received excellent care by wonderful staff and nurses during her stay at Hulcott. She was treated with care and respect, maintaining her dignity until she sadly passed away. Mum was always kept extremely clean with her bedding changed frequently. Nothing was too much trouble when we visited, even when we stayed with Mum until very late last night. I can't thank or praise Hulcott enough for the way Mum was looked after until her death.

Mum was treated with the best of care and medical attention during her last six weeks of life. The family were supported through out this difficult time.

My brother has been at Hulcott for two months now. He is very happy and settled there. The staff are without exception, friendly, polite, caring and in my experience treat the residents with kindness and dignity. I visit my brother at least twice a day and no matter what time of the day or night I have been there I have always found the atmosphere to be serene and professional. The staff clearly work as a very happy team, carers, nurses, cleaners and office staff are all excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend Hulcott.

I just say a huge thank you and all your staff at Hulcott for the loving care they gave my wife during her last two weeks of her life. I would also like to thank you all for the support I received while she was with you. I was very concerned when she moved from the hospice where she felt loved, cared for and safe. However my fears were groundless, the time devoted to her needs, their empathy and the patience and professionalism of all your people without exception was exemplary. Her passing has left a massive hole in my life but your people did make it a little easier. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Hulcott Care Home to others.

Hulcott Care Home is a first class care home delivering quality, compassionate care and I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone with complex care needs, such as those of my mother-in-law.

The team 'go the extra mile' in looking after their residents. Always smiling and cheerful, the staff indicate that Hulcott is a happy, well-managed place where both workers and residents are treated with kindness and respect. I honestly do not believe that my mother-in-law could be better cared for anywhere!

Pretty place, lovely staff, conscientious, caring and capable.

How likely would you be to recommend Hulcott Care Home with Nursing? Likely

Total AAA service. Could not be better. Always provide 100% service. Have helped my family for years. Would never consider another home. You have diamond of a home in Hulcott. Words cannot express my thanks to the team there, from the manager to the handy man. All the staff are happy and that shows in the residents.

My mum came in for temporary respite care after an accident. The manager, management I found to be excellent, caring, diligent and kind. The staff were mostly excellent especially Roger, where nothing was too much trouble for him.

Very well managed with kind and caring staff.

My aunt was very well looked after for a year and six months, as she was almost a hundred years old when she died. She was treated with care and dignity.

All the staff are very kind and helpful. The care my husband receives is very good.

My aunt was very well cared for in the 15 years she spent there, the last 5 years she was bed ridden. The staff were all very polite and caring.

My mother & step father have been residents since Easter 2014. I recently spent one week respite following an operation on my foot. Staff attitude excellent. Food excellent.

Home from home accommodation, made to feel welcome and comfortable. Staff very friendly nothing is to much trouble. Relatives and friend encouraged to visit and be involved in care programme would definatly recommend.

Its excellent, home from home you can't fault the place.

The staff at Hulcott are very caring & friendly. Margaret the manager is very approachable and I am very happy here.

Although I live in Essex myself, my mother lived locally. She had known of people in 'Hulcott' and was happy to come herself. She was instantly happy and settled, and both my sisters and I have been totally satisfied with her care and attention.

The staff in the care home are always courteous and friendly. The care delivered is of a high calibre and the atmosphere within the home itself has a 'home from home' feel and is very comfortable.

Submit a Review for Hulcott Care Home with Nursing

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Hulcott Care Home with Nursing

Care Assistant

Competitive (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Registered General Nurse

£14.50 (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Margaret

Margaret Smart

Joined: 2013

As Home Manager of Hulcott, Margaret leads a professional staff team in providing the highest standards residential and specialist nursing care for up to 38 elderly ladies and gentlemen.

As an experienced Registered Nurse, Margaret has amassed a wealth of knowledge in the field of elderly care, nursing and dementia care. Her career in nursing began in 1976 has since taken her from being an Enrolled Nurse in a hospital, to Deputy Matron and subsequently Registered Manager in a Care Home.

Within a number of her roles, Margaret has specialised in the area of rehabilitation, notably working as a Staff Nurse in the National Spinal Injuries Centre in Stoke Mandeville Hospital and as a Senior Staff Nurse in Amersham Hospital specialising in the rehabilitation of elderly patients.

Within her role, Margaret is particularly passionate about training and empowering her staff. Prior to her appointment as Manager, she was the main mentor at Hulcott for student nurses on placement from Bedford Hospital. Margaret herself continues to attend seminars and training to continue her professional development and update her knowledge on current best practice.

Having lived in nearby Waddesdon for over 30 years, Margaret knows and loves the local area. Away from work, she enjoys walking and cycling through the beautiful Buckinghamshire countryside and as a practical person, Margaret is also a sewing enthusiast and a keen gardener

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hulcott Care Home with Nursing