Acorn Court Care Home, Redhill, Surrey

Acorn Court Care Home specialises in both nursing and dementia care, having been purpose-built to allow for efficient care methods in a comfortable and homely environment.

High standards of care are achieved while respecting the independence and personal freedoms that residents wish to maintain, which are supported through strong community links.

Pleasing furnishings and a range of entertainments help support and maintain a good social atmosphere, with staff always keen to welcome visitors.

Group: Carebase Ltd

Person in charge: Monica Prosser (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 86 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Head/Brain Injury

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Acorn Court Care Home: click here

The user Review Score of 9.6 for Acorn Court Care Home is based on 28 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.586 is made up of 4.935 Points relating to the ratings and 4.651 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

I recommended my friend's mother to move into Acorn Court after her long stay in hospital.
She is very settled and is very happy in her new home. The carers are really efficient, loving and friendly and the home is efficiently managed. There are lots of activities available which means that she is mentally stimulated, which is just what she needs as she is a very intelligent and 'switched on' lady.
She has commented to me about the quality of the food and service, with plenty of choice and hot and cold options available.
I would certainly recommend Acorn Court to other friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Both my father and, previously my mother-in-law have been residents in Acorn Court. Everyone there has been excellent. The care, cleanliness, nurturing could hardly be bettered and some of the staff are exceptional. The nursing care is second to none with doctors called as soon as required. The residents best interests are looked after and these services also apply to relatives. You really feel part of the family.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My father has now been a resident at Acorn Court for almost a year, after a combination of a stroke and vascular dementia meant he could no longer live at home. He is a resident of the high dependency floor, where the ratio of carers to residence is much greater and the level of care, including nursing care, is of an extremely high quality. However, it is the calibre of the carers that makes Acorn Court stand out. They treat the residence as individuals, show them patience and respect their dignity. I would not hesitate in recommending Acorn Court to anyone facing the hard decision of choosing a care home for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My mother had previously been in two other care homes. The standard of care varied considerably and the attention paid to her needs was latterly bordering on the minimal. So we took the opportunity to have a look at Acorn Court on an Open Day and immediately decided to move her here. During the four years she was here the staff were absolutely magnificent and the wonderful atmosphere generated by the management permeated throughout the home. Mum was treated as an individual and relations were welcome to visit at any time. Before becoming incapable of joining in, she used to thoroughly enjoy the various activities and outings. Finally and to reinforce this review, I should mention that before she passed away, we also chose to install my father-in-law in Acorn Court when the right time came to do so. My wife has submitted a separate postal review in respect of his stay here.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I placed myself here some six months ago. I did not like being at home alone. I am pleased I did. The care provided is excellent, the food is delicious, the activities are fun. My room is very spacious and I brought in some of my own furniture. In the summer we spent time in our beautiful gardens having fun. Everyone here is happy, residents and staff. We all sit together at meal times to eat. Once a month the bar opens and we get to choose, what to do and where to go on all trips at a forum meeting we have.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Kind, caring and compassionate. The Manager and her friendly team cared for our mother last year and are currently caring for our father, giving their three daughters peace of mind. Nothing is too much trouble. Highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My mother has been resident at Acorn for 3 years now and I would not want her to be anywhere else. The home is the most amazing place. The care that is delivered there is first class. The residents and their families are most definitely at the forefront of the homes ethos. The Manager holds regular meeting for all the relatives even the relatives that no longer have anyone their get a luncheon every month, that is hosted by the manager and her husband. It is so lovely to know that when the time comes that Mum is no longer here we too will still be included in what Acorn do. The activities are great and family members get to choose what they would like to do and where they would like to go. The activities lady is absolutely fabulous, she is so accommodating to everyone. The administrator is very helpful and the reception is always welcoming. Christmas is coming and the activities are really getting going every year the home is transformed into a real spectacle.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Acorn Court is an exceptional care home and worthy of the full cabinet of awards that are displayed in reception. My sister has been so well looked by the entire team nothing is ever too much trouble and they always make me feel as equally welcomed and loved when I visit, it really is like one very big happy family. As Christmas is now approaching the home is starting to take on its annual appearance of a winter wonderland it's beautiful every year and always different.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I am very grateful for the care my grandma received whilst being a resident at Acorn Court, she had amazing staff that made us all feel very welcome and gave her an exceptional level of care. I would highly recommend Acorn Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My husband has severe dementia and has been in residential care for over 8 years. The care my husband gets is excellent and I am very happy with every aspect of his care. He was violent but the staff keep him calm. My husband cannot speak, is doubly incontinent, cannot swallow and stumbles along but the staff always seem to know what he needs. He is held with great thought by all of them. He is always clean and wearing his own clothes. He is changed regularly. He cannot take part in activities, he doesn't understand what is happening.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My son has been a resident at this care home since it opened in 2008. He is in the ABI unit where he is so well looked after and, what is more, loved by the staff, who are friendly, approachable, extremely professional and will always go the extra mile for the sake of their residents. I have very close contact with the home and know that I am listened to and taken seriously. I would happily recommend the ABI unit to anyone who has similar needs with full confidence that staff would do their utmost to be accommodating.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Mum had a long spell in two hospitals, during which she had a series of strokes, before she arrived at Acorn Court. In her condition, it was obvious that mum couldn't go home, and so I had a good look around for an alternative, and thankfully found Acorn Court. It was a no-brainer for choice, they stood head and shoulders above the rest, and I am so glad that I followed my instincts and chose them. I could not have wished for better care and peace of mind that all the staff give. After just a few weeks, mum was looking so much better than she had looked for months, and was back to her happy, smiling self. Every member of staff, from top to bottom, show empathy, understanding and warmth, with a real sense of kindness. They keep me informed and up to date about any changes in mum, or her treatment, and regularly arrange things like hearing tests and speech therapy. Mum is pleased to have her hair cut and set by the in-house hairdresser on a regular basis, she has a podiatrist visit, and the lovely girls have often shaped and painted her nails, bless 'em!
When some care-homes get criticised, I always wax lyrical about the great quality of care that mum receives, and how polite and helpful the staff are to family members visiting....nothing is too much trouble. Mum has been with them now for over four years, and she really couldn't be in a better place.
I totally 100% recommend Acorn Court to anyone needing peace of mind and great care for a loved one if, or when the time comes.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My mother in law has been a resident for over a year and the care and understanding of her dementia has been exceptional. The carers are a constant with very few changes; the food is excellent; the nursing staff are so good and look after mums physical needs on a day to day basis. This is not residential care as it used to be - residents are entertained, taken on many outings, including pub lunches - and so many of the parties are designed to include family and friends. Family members are welcome to visit at any time and I have joined Mum for supper on many occasions. My mother in law is very happy and comfortable in Acorn Court and most importantly she is safe and being given the care and support that could no longer be provided in her own home.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Mum has been residing at Acorn Court since 12 October 2015. My initial thoughts are that I agree that this is a Care Home of Excellence. Always clean, staff are very professional and caring, nothing is ever too much trouble for them. Mum has been treated well for her individual needs, on both a personal and medical level.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

The care, and it truly was care, that my mother-in-law experienced at Acorn Court was beyond our wildest expectations. The Manager and her team exemplify the caring of the vulnerable and elderly. Having tried to care for mother-in-law at home we soon realised it was way beyond our capabilities so where do we turn? Care homes seem to received only bad press so we were apprehensive. Well we had no need for those fears once we went to the Manager and her team at Acorn Court. That care didn't end when my dear mother-in-laws passed away. The respect, compassion and care we the family received will stay with us forever. Many times I say to folk that I just hope the Manager and the Acorn Court's culture is around should I need caring for. A heartfelt thanks to you all. It has been a privilege to share my thoughts and feelings with others.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My mother has been at Acorn Court for nearly 2 1/2 years. The Carers/Nurses on the 2nd Floor work extremely hard looking after the residents. My mother was seriously ill in January 2015 and the Carers/Nurses were absolutely brilliant in caring for my mother, and they were also very kind to myself and my husband during this difficult time. We appreciate the continued patience and kindness the Carers/Nurses show towards my mother. There is a nice atmosphere on the 2nd floor, the Carers/Nurses are friendly, cheerful and nothing is too much trouble for them.

The Housekeeping Team do an excellent job in keeping the home and rooms nice and clean, together with providing an efficient and excellent laundry service.

The food is excellent, in particular the home-made soup and the lovely birthday and afternoon cakes the chef and his team bakes.

The garden at Acorn Court has been transformed into a lovely haven with nice flowers and plants and various places for the residents and their family/friends to sit. Weather permitting, in the summer, I always take my mother down to the garden in her wheelchair and she loves seeing all the plants and flowers and enjoys having a cup of tea outdoors. Also there is a lovely lake near to the home which we often take my mother to.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My mother has been resident at Acorn Court since October 2010, she has always been very happy there and very well looked after. My Husband and I attend as many of the functions as we can and they are always very enjoyable. The home has an excellent chef and there has been many occasions over the years where they have catered for functions especially for us and Mum (within the home) which has meant that we can all still be together as she can no longer get out to us. There is a very strong management team that clearly lead by example, we are very happy to be part of the Acorn Family as they call us.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My mother has been a resident since September 2015. Initially she was very apprehensive about going to live in a Care Home. She had for the last 13 year lived at home with my sister but following another fracture to her femur followed by embolisms in her lungs my sister, having lost her husband in December 2014, decided that she would no longer be able to cope. Following a long stay in St Mary's Hospital in Roehampton we were delighted to be offered a place for her in Acorn Court.

Since then my mother has settled very well. The staff are considerate and kind at all times. The atmosphere is one of contentment and it is a joy to see my mother chatting with fellow residents and enjoying their company. It really has a feeling of being home from home. The food is great and if it is one of the resident's birthdays a beautiful cake is supplied and appreciated by all the residents. The chef and kitchen staff are responsible for this thoughtful touch. The outings are an added bonus which my mother has taken on several occasions.
The home is maintained to a very high standard which is overseen by their Care Manager and the cleanliness is second to none. My mother's room is cleaned every day. Her washing is spotless and the bedding changed frequently.

All in all I do not think there could be anywhere better for my mother to reside. I feel she is well looked after and have no worries that her care is lacking in any way.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My Mother was lucky to get a bed at Acorn Court back in 2010, I transferred her from another home in Crawley where she was really not taken care of. I cannot explain how within such a short space of time this brilliant team of people transformed my Mother back to her old self. There is always interactions going on, she is now very advanced in her dementia but she still gets included with things that she is able top participate in. They have some really good musicians that go in and always get them joining in. The home is bright and clean and you will always get a really warm welcome from the staff there. If it is meal time we are invited to stay and have lunch with Mum, which we have done on many occasions and I can tell you the food is very very good. (The cakes have to fall into the excellent category though). It is a big home with lots of variety, there is always some event taking place either in the home or outside. There is a very good support Group 'Friends Of Acorn' which is headed up by one of the relatives who has been associated with the home since it opened, they will arrange for Mum to be visited when we are on holiday and this gives us great peace of mind. The Management seems to have gone a step further with everything and it is very evident that the residents of the home are the most important, closely followed by the relatives and the staff teams. Christmas time is always a special time to be there, the reception area gets a different theme each year but is always like a complete wonderland. I can highly recommend this home to anyone looking for a loved one ! its a very special place and we are delighted to be part of it

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

This is one of the best care home around for dementia. Staff are trained in all areas of dementia can not praise the home or staff enough. The home has been around for a very long time and has a great reputation.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My Mum has been at Acorn Court for just over 2 years now. Unfailingly, on every visit, she tells me how lucky she is to be there because, as she puts it, she’s “so well looked after and the staff are all so lovely“. I can add that there are so many kind and caring staff members I’ve met there that I’ve always felt completely reassured that she is being well cared for.

Mum still likes to be taken out frequently but after an hour or so, she’s always in a hurry to get back - which (rather than a reflection on my company!) I take to be another testament to how much at home she feels in Acorn Court.

We looked at many care homes when the medical advice was that Mum needed to be in such a facility, but none had seemed quite right. However, from the moment we first visited Acorn Court and met the Manager it felt like this was the one, and our experience over the last 2+ years has reinforced that feeling. We are so glad we found Acorn Court and its wonderful staff, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

From the first point of contact from the lovely Administrator I felt at ease. The staff made the transition very easy and couldn't believe how quickly my husband settled in. The staff here are amazing and make you feel as if this is your home as well. The progress my husband has made since being here is so wonderful to see. I can now relax at home knowing my husband is being cared for in a lovely caring and safe environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I was very impressed with the home and delighted when a bed became available, as was my Sister following our first viewing of the home. I was even more impressed when my sister became a resident with the care that she received from the teams.
There is a very good support service available to all the families and this is the only place where they continue to look after families after their loved ones have gone. You are really made to feel part of a very large family.
All the staff are very friendly and always have a cheerful smile on their faces and clearly enjoy what they do.
From the first time we went through the doors we knew that it was the place for our Sister.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I have lived at Acorn Court for just over 2 years now, I moved in after I lost my wife as I was struggling being at home alone. I can highly recommend this home and I am more than happy to speak to people when they are visiting. The staff are all very caring, the food is great, the trips out are always fun and there is always someone here for you to help you with your needs. The gardens are beautiful in the summer I am very well cared for and enjoy the company of the other residents here with me, I get to choose what I would like to do, where I would like to be. I always attend the residents forum where we decide on the entertainers who will come in and where to go out to on our trips.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My Mother was resident at Acorn Court for 3 years, she was genuinely cared for and loved by a team of exceptional people who clearly put my Mother at he centre of everything. I can honestly say I never had any cause to worry about her during her stay there. The home was always clean and fresh and never any offensive smells unlike other facilities I have visited, the staff team are exceptional they make you feel part of a family going in there, and still do to this day as I still return and visit them on a regular basis. They always invite me to meetings and events if I would like to go along and it's great to catch up with everyone, I also go along to a Sunday Lunch every month which the Manager arranges at different locations around Surrey. This has been an amazing support for me in helping me to cope with the loss of my Mother, I meet with other family members some of who are in the same position as me now. The food at Acorn was always amazing, even when my Mother had to change to purée foods, it always arrived looking and smelling great, individual servings and not all mushed up together. The staff do not wear uniforms and this seems to create a much calmer effect on their much loved residents. It really is a home from home and deserves the full cabinet of awards that are on display in the warm and welcoming reception area. You always see the same staff on duty and they do not use agency staff at all. I can highly recommend Acorn Court to anyone who really wants a first class care facility.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Court Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

My husband has been resident at Acorn Court for 4 years and the care has been outstanding. The manager and staff are very caring and any issues are immediately sorted out. His room and day care are excellent, as are the many activities and food. The families of residents are also a priority, and lunches and 'get-togethers' arranged for us regularly. I feel very lucky to have found such a lovely , caring place for my husband to spend his last days.

My mother has been in Acorn Court since June 2010 and the care she has received has been exceptional. As her dementia has worsened, her care plan has been adjusted to give her the best quality of life possible. All the staff are kind, caring and dedicated and treat my mother with dignity and respect. They are truly supportive of family members who are welcome to visit at any time and always receive a friendly greeting. The Home is clean and bright; all rooms have en-suite shower rooms; activities are well-organized with regular outings and meals are well-planned and freshly made. Acorn Court definitely receives my recommendation.

An absolute gem of a Care Home, my Aunt was here for nearly 4 years, she arrived in a very poor state from an other Care Home. She was nursed on the High Dependency Unit and within weeks what a transformation. The team of staff were all amazing, kind, considerate, patient and understanding. The Manager has a wonderful way with everyone, she knows all the staff personally, greets every resident and family member by name and oozes compassion. My Aunt passed away almost a year ago, I still call in and see everyone because it still feels like home to us as a family. We get invited to meals out and always to special events at the home every time we pop back from Ireland. It is a real home from home and I'm so pleased we managed to get a place there. Christmas is a real MUST visit as the reception is always like Wonderland with a different theme every year. I can highly recommend Acorn Court in Redhill.

Submit a Review for Acorn Court Care Home

There are no jobs posted yet for Acorn Court Care Home

Monica

Monica Prosser

Job Title: Manager

Joined: 2009

Monica joined Carebase seven years ago and has been sucessfully managing Acorn Court. Monica has been caring for the elderly for more than 30 years in various roles. She primarily worked in domiciliary care, providing assistance to those in need at their home before joining us here at Carebase.

Taiwo

Taiwo Kolade

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Taiwo is a registered nurse, and is passionate about providing the highest level of care to all the residents at Acorn Court.

Ami

Ami Penfold

Job Title: Activities & Events Coordinator

Joined: 2011

The residents affectionately call her ‘Amazing Ami’ as there no end to her talents, because as well as ensuring there are activities and therapies to entertain and stimulate the residents every day, she is always on hand to provide a helping hand to everyone, whether it be it a hair-styling when the Hairdresser is not around or nails and makeup if required for that special occasion. Ami can always be counted on to join in the fun with a good song and a dance, or for giving that special hug to ensure that everyone feels special and loved.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Acorn Court Care Home