Barchester Wykeham House Care Home, Horley, Surrey
Barchester Wykeham House Care Home
Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

Wykeham House Care Home was built in 1995 and officially opened by Sir Richard Branson in 1998. Ideally located approximately two miles from the M23 Junction 9 towards Brighton and just off the A23 Redhill to Gatwick Road, the home is situated within walking distance to the town centre, bus stop and train station. We provide first-class 24-hour nursing and residential care alongside expert care for people with dementia in our Memory Lane Community. We also provide respite care and short breaks.

Our team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focus on the individual needs of our residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And our dedication can be seen across the board - in our cooking, hospitality and organising activities.

We think you'll find we're ideally suited to meet your needs now and in the future to ensure you get the most from your retirement years.

Why not arrange a visit and see for yourself!

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Sibby Sawyer (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 76 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Bulgarian, Spanish; Castilian, French, Hindi, Panjabi, Punjabi, Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Wykeham House Care Home: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

(We currently have limited availability for both nursing care and dementia care. Please contact us to discuss your needs further. We would love to welcome you for a visit.)
posted 28 Oct 2014

November 2014

Care Newcomer Award Finalist

Date: Friday 21 Nov 2014

Recommendation Score: 9 (8.956)

The user 'Recommendation Score' ( 9 for Barchester Wykeham House Care Home) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

My wife Margaret has been in Memory Lane at Wykeham House for over 2 and a half years; and I have nothing but praise for the staff for getting my wife mobile and motivated, because when she first went into Memory Lane she could not move or speak and she did not know who I was. All of the staff have done a wonderful job and are always friendly and helpful. Thank you.

Submitted by David Edwards (Husband of Resident/Service User) on Monday 10 November 2014. Review relates to October 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

This home can be recommended for good friendly and competent care of the residents, whether they are in poor health, partially mobile or confined to bed. Every effort is made to supply quality food and entertainment for everyone.

Submitted by Margaret Q (Wife of Resident/Service User) on Thursday 6 November 2014. Review relates to October 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

Outstanding care, despite poor prognosis from hospital on mum's chance of ever walking again after a fall, then 6 weeks in hospital where physio's pronounced she would 'never walk again', so she was transferred to Wykeham. On her 1st day, Teresa Lofting came to mum's room to suggest strengthening exercises and I asked if I could continue same exercises each day to help. Within less than 2 weeks mum was out of bed walking!! Mum continued walking with a walker for a further 2 years, thanks to Teresa's help, patience, advice and emotional support, giving mum confidence. Mum has dementia and was very anxious and was also in pain from the fall. Physiotherapy provided by Movement and Mobilisation therapy.

Submitted by Barbara B (Daughter of Resident/Service User) on Thursday 30 October 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

Very happy with staff, food, cleanliness. James has settled in very well and is happy and safe, would recommend if asked.

Submitted by Julia L (Neice of resident) on Friday 16 May 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

Staff has treated me well while my husband stays in the home. I can say that they are giving me support to be able to support my husband with his present condition.

Submitted by Virginia M (Wife of resident) on Wednesday 14 May 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

A wonderful nursing home. From the management who are, warm, welcoming and approachable. The nursing staff are first class and professional and the auxiliary staff who are unfailingly friendly, helpful and cheerful. The food is the right proportions and the menu is always interesting and varied and tastes great. A really great place and I'm glad my mother is their in safe hands.

Submitted by Linda A (Daughter of resident) on Friday 25 April 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

My Nana was at Wykeham House for 3 months until she passed away almost two weeks ago. Nana had spent 3 months in hospital where the care was disgusting, she received better care in her 1st afternoon at Wykeham House than whole time she spent in hospital. All the staff came to welcome us and say hello!! EVERY member of the team is fantastic and the staff at Memory Lane 2 made her stay outstanding!! Nothing was ever too much trouble, the home looks like a hotel, it was always clean, tidy, well presented, security was excellent and every member of staff you passed always acknowledged you!!. In addition all the residents were clean and alert and staff took pride in how the residents were dressed. Before my Nana had moved to Wykeham House we had been told by friends who had their relatives in other care homes to clearly label all of her things as it is common place for residents belongings to go missing in care homes - we never found one item of my Nana's that went missing! The food was always fresh and looked really tasty!! My Nana also told us she was happy at Wykeham House and the staff often kissed her goodnight!! I really miss not going to Wykeham House it felt like everyone - staff and residents were friends of our family, it was just an amazing place. We as a family will always be in debt to the outstanding team and cannot recommend Wykeham House highly enough!!! I take peace knowing my Nana was so well cared for and although I'm devastated my Nana has gone, it will give another resident and their family an opportunity to receive the care my Nana did! Thank you all so much!! xx

Submitted by Zoe (Grand Daughter of resident) on Saturday 15 March 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

From day one we were made welcome and involved in our uncle's care. He is treated with respect and dignity, which we feel is very important. The food is very good and everywhere is always very clean. Uncle has a lot of his personal belongings with him, which really helped him to adjust to his new life. Our thanks to everyone here.

Submitted by Jackie C (Niece of resident) on Thursday 16 January 2014.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

I consider this home to be the best that I have seen. They do everything possible to meet the requirements of the resident and their relatives.

Submitted by Sally T (Wife of Resident) on Tuesday 3 December 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

My aunt is very happy and settled, made friends, looks so well. I am so glad I found Wykeham House.

Submitted by June J (Niece of Resident) on Monday 18 November 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

My wife has been in Wykeham House since 25.5.2012, after being in hospital for 10 weeks, my wife could not move in bed at all, she did not know who I was, the staff got her motivated and she was able to walk to the dining area and the day room, now 2013 I am able to bring her home every other weekend, the date being 30.10.2013. I can't find the words to thank the staff and management for their care and commitment.

Submitted by David Edwards (Husband of resident) on Friday 8 November 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

First impression very good and standard maintained. Mum always says she is very happy.

Submitted by David Jarvis (Son of resident) on Wednesday 30 October 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

I have no knowledge of any other care home so have nothing to compare it to, but I am on the whole satisfied with most of this one. There could be improvements in some areas but nothing major to my knowledge, only slight.

Submitted by Pamela W (Wife of resident) on Monday 28 October 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

A warm and friendly atmosphere with a lot of laughter. There is always time for residents and family, and if there are any problems they are soon sorted out. My Mum is happy and it gives me great peace of mind.

Submitted by Doris Soddard (Resident/daughter of resident) on Tuesday 22 October 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

Since mum has been here she has always been treated with respect and dignity. Her needs are taken care of and there is always someone around if we wish to discuss mums issues.

Submitted by Rodney C (Son of resident) on Thursday 17 October 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

My mum is really happy at Wykeham House. her pain is being managed well and so she is sleeping a lot better. Food, cleanliness are excellent and all the staff are so good at what they do. There is a lot of laughter and everyone is very friendly. When I leave mum I go home with a happy heart because I know she is being well cared for. I really have no complaints at all. It's not cheap but I have peace of mind which means so much.

Submitted by Linda B (Daugher of resident) on Thursday 11 July 2013.

Review of Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

My wife was in East Surrey hospital in 2013, following very serious epileptic seizures. She was also suffering from 'mixed dementia'. The environment at the hospital was very poor at the time, and she was seriously distressed. My youngest daughter (28 at the time) and I inspected a number of possible nursing homes, to assess their suitability for my wife. We definitely decided on Wykeham House, on the basis of the criteria listed below. Release from E S hospital was delayed by ward infections, and her condition deteriorated. We were greatly relieved when she was moved into Wykeham House, which totally lived up to our hopes and expectations, as a caring well managed home environment.

Submitted by James MacCarthy (Husband of resident (deceased)) on Wednesday 10 July 2013.

Submit a Recommendation for Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

(please write a short headline summary)

Registered Nurse - RMN

£ competitive + free training / CPD

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Horley, Surrey

03 Nov 2014
Apply Here

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Wykeham House Care Home