Barchester Wykeham House Care Home, Horley, Surrey

Wykeham House Care Home was built in 1995 and officially opened by Sir Richard Branson in 1998. Ideally located approximately two miles from the M23 Junction 9 towards Brighton and just off the A23 Redhill to Gatwick Road, the home is situated within walking distance to the town centre, bus stop and train station. They provide first-class 24-hour nursing and residential care alongside expert care for people with dementia in the Memory Lane Community. They also provide respite care and short breaks.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focus on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And dedication can be seen across the board - in cooking, hospitality and organising activities.

Owners think you'll find they're ideally suited to meet your needs now and in the future to ensure you get the most from your retirement years.

Why not arrange a visit and see for yourself!

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Sibby Sawyer (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 76 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Bulgarian, Spanish; Castilian, French, Hindi, Panjabi, Punjabi, Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Wykeham House Care Home: click here

posted 02 Feb 2016

We currently have vacancies available for both nursing care and dementia care . Please contact us by email of telephone to discuss your needs further. You are welcome to visit the home at anytime. No appointments necessary. See you soon!

The user Review Score of 9.1 for Barchester Wykeham House Care Home is based on 15 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.117 is made up of 4.722 Points relating to the ratings and 4.395 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

Over the last 2 months we have noticed a great improvement in my mothers communication skills. Since having daily activities she hardly disturbs her room at all. She seems very content there after 16 months there. The staff are very respectful of their dignity and very kind. All staff are very approachable, if you have any queries.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Wykeham House Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

Sibby Sawyer, General Manager at Barchester Wykeham House Care Home responded to this review on 04 Jan 2016:

Thank you for your kind comments. There has been a strong drive within the team at Wykeham House to improve the social life of residents within the home especially on our Memory Lanes as well as engagement with the community in Horley. I am pleased that the result is a direct impact on your mother's communication skills. We will continue in this direction and your on going support is instrumental in all we are aiming to achieve

Completely satisfied by care in this nursing home, staff from manager down are all superb in what they do, they seem to take client requests seriously and compassionately. Overall my family are delighted with the treatment my wife is getting.

My Aunt has been a resident here for four years since July 2011. We as a family have always found all the staff very caring, happy and very hard working and helpful at all times. It is also very evident that since the managers appointment eighteen months ago an every greater improvement in training, she also assures that the staffs welfare etc is much improved. Nurses and carers offer the highest standard of performance.

Family members were invited to have a Sunday roast with the family member who resides at Wykeham House. Wonderful occasion. Well organised. Lovely atmosphere. Food amazing. Great occasion and look forward to a get together.

Sibby Sawyer, General Manager at Barchester Wykeham House Care Home responded to this review on 15 Sep 2015:

It was a real pleasure for me and my team to share a simple tradition such as a Sunday Roast with all the residents and their families. Something that all our residents would have at one time enjoyed at home with their families and loved ones. Thank you for joining us and supporting our activities programme.

Since moving to Wykeham House just over 6 months ago my mother has really responded well to the care and attention provided. Her family all feel she is in safe hands because the entire staff have shown great care and respect for her as an individual.

Thank you very much Tom for your kind words of support and encouragement for the staff team. I am glad to hear that you feel assured of your mother's care and safety at Wykeham House. I will pass your message to our team.

My dad went into this home terminally ill and they were very patient and treated him with dignity. The room was clean and the staff very polite and helpful also very supportive to me as well. I could not have wished for a better end to my dads life. They kept him free from pain which the hospital were unable to do.

My Dad had Lewey Body Dementia, a particularly challenging form of Dementia which is characterised by hallucinations and restless behaviour.

My brother and I visited 26 nursing homes before we found Wykeham House. It would be difficult to offer sufficient praise for their operation. Dad received kind, jolly and patient care from his arrival to his passing last month. He recovered a quality of life we thought lost and whilst very disorientated recovered his typical good humour as well. Even in his passing, his dignity and privacy were preserved.

The staff were excellent: patient, kind, skilful and genial. Often in the face of behaviour that would try the patience of a saint.

In addition the Dementia Care Wards "Memory Lane 1 & 2" are designed in such a way that the residents can safely potter about without risk of getting our or falling down the stairs. Because they can move about more or less as they see fit, their anxiety is hugely reduced, much improving their quality of life.

It is to be noted that the staff are from many nations and are a multi-ethnic workforce. I wondered if this might challenge some residents but in practice the warmth of care swept aside any antiquated attitudes and the residents seemed happy with those around them.

Food and drink is plentiful and activities are taken with great pragmatism...maximising the joy of lucid moments over inflexibly trying to force the residents to reach an challenging outcome.

My brother and I were welcomed day or night and the kindness afforded to Dad was extended to us.

The only word of sufficiency is exemplary! I would have no hesitation in using Wykeham House again in the future. Sibbi and her team are to be commended.

Have told my sons it is my wish to come here if I need to come into a care home.

Sibby Sawyer, General Manager at Barchester Wykeham House Care Home responded to this review on 13 Jan 2015:

Happy New Year! Thank you for those lovely kind words. You are welcome to visit us and join us at an event that takes your interest from our activities calendar.

My wife Margaret has been in Memory Lane at Wykeham House for over 2 and a half years; and I have nothing but praise for the staff for getting my wife mobile and motivated, because when she first went into Memory Lane she could not move or speak and she did not know who I was. All of the staff have done a wonderful job and are always friendly and helpful. Thank you.

This home can be recommended for good friendly and competent care of the residents, whether they are in poor health, partially mobile or confined to bed. Every effort is made to supply quality food and entertainment for everyone.

Outstanding care, despite poor prognosis from hospital on mum's chance of ever walking again after a fall, then 6 weeks in hospital where physio's pronounced she would 'never walk again', so she was transferred to Wykeham. On her 1st day, Teresa Lofting came to mum's room to suggest strengthening exercises and I asked if I could continue same exercises each day to help. Within less than 2 weeks mum was out of bed walking!! Mum continued walking with a walker for a further 2 years, thanks to Teresa's help, patience, advice and emotional support, giving mum confidence. Mum has dementia and was very anxious and was also in pain from the fall. Physiotherapy provided by Movement and Mobilisation therapy.

Very happy with staff, food, cleanliness. James has settled in very well and is happy and safe, would recommend if asked.

Staff has treated me well while my husband stays in the home. I can say that they are giving me support to be able to support my husband with his present condition.

A wonderful nursing home. From the management who are, warm, welcoming and approachable. The nursing staff are first class and professional and the auxiliary staff who are unfailingly friendly, helpful and cheerful. The food is the right proportions and the menu is always interesting and varied and tastes great. A really great place and I'm glad my mother is their in safe hands.

My Nana was at Wykeham House for 3 months until she passed away almost two weeks ago. Nana had spent 3 months in hospital where the care was disgusting, she received better care in her 1st afternoon at Wykeham House than whole time she spent in hospital. All the staff came to welcome us and say hello!!

EVERY member of the team is fantastic and the staff at Memory Lane 2 made her stay outstanding!! Nothing was ever too much trouble, the home looks like a hotel, it was always clean, tidy, well presented, security was excellent and every member of staff you passed always acknowledged you!!.

In addition all the residents were clean and alert and staff took pride in how the residents were dressed. Before my Nana had moved to Wykeham House we had been told by friends who had their relatives in other care homes to clearly label all of her things as it is common place for residents belongings to go missing in care homes - we never found one item of my Nana's that went missing!

The food was always fresh and looked really tasty!! My Nana also told us she was happy at Wykeham House and the staff often kissed her goodnight!! I really miss not going to Wykeham House it felt like everyone - staff and residents were friends of our family, it was just an amazing place.

We as a family will always be in debt to the outstanding team and cannot recommend Wykeham House highly enough!!! I take peace knowing my Nana was so well cared for and although I'm devastated my Nana has gone, it will give another resident and their family an opportunity to receive the care my Nana did!

Thank you all so much!! xx

Submit a Review for Barchester Wykeham House Care Home

Registered Nurse (RGN)

Competitive + Full Training CPD (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Registered Nurse (RMN)

Competitive + Full Training CPD (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Care Assistant

┬úcomp + free training + benefits (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)
Horley, Surrey

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Wykeham House Care Home