Claydon House Care with Nursing, Lewes, East Sussex

Claydon House Care with Nursing is a refurbished Victorian property, with scenic gardens and an experienced team able to offer residential, nursing and dementia care.

Professionals are committed to maintaining an attractive and restful environment for residents and visitors alike, so that they can enjoy a high quality of life based upon dignity, privacy and independence.

There are purpose-designed areas for residents with dementia and all staff understand the benefits of an individualised approach to care.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Karen Grainger (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 49 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Claydon House Care with Nursing: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Claydon House Care with Nursing is based on 28 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.620 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.62 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.620 for Claydon House Care with Nursing is based on 28 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.62 for Claydon House Care with Nursing is calculated as follows: ( (207 Excellents x 5) + (80 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 305 Ratings = 4.62

The Quantity Score of 5 for Claydon House Care with Nursing is calculated as follows:

3. (28 Positive Reviews ÷ 49 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.143 (maximum score = 1)

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

Unable to find a vacancy in my home town, I arranged for 1 weeks respite care at Claydon House after a total knee replacement operation. In the event, a further complication was discovered before I was discharged from the hospital - I have an enlarged prostate gland requiring use of a catheter and my stay extended to a total of 15 days. Throughout this time I could not have had better care- the staff at all levels went beyond the call of duty to be pleasant, helpful and kind. There were no faults to be found in that respect. In design my room had minor faults especially in the bathroom where cabinet with deep set mirror had the door opening the wrong way and an inaccessible and non working internal light, shaving was a problem! I believe some corridors were not wheelchair friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Claydon House Care with Nursing? Extremely Likely

Karen Grainger, Home Manager at Claydon House Care with Nursing responded to this review on 28 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay at Claydon house, we are delighted that you were so pleased with the level of care that you received and thank you for your comments about our helpful staff and the overall standard of the home. We would like to apologise for the minor faults in your room and thank you for bringing them to our attention. We are currently reviewing all the fixtures and fittings in our rooms in order to improve the facilities that we offer to residents when they stay at Claydon House.

I immediately felt at home when I first visited Claydon House. I was looking for an exceptionally clean home, caring staff and homely atmosphere where by my mother would be very well looked after. I found that at Claydon House. The manager is an exceptional character and is hands on and communicates with staff, residents and their families. I am very pleased my mother is in Claydon House.

This is the first experience I have had of a care home - and so far is if very pleasant. Good food and very pleasant - good food and comfortable. If I cannot be in my own home, this is so far a very pleasant experience.

Our first visit to view the home was one of warmth and welcome, which continued throughout dad's stay. The staff made us feel comfortable and safe about leaving dad in their care. The manager was approachable and any problems were dealt with swiftly. I would recommend this home to anyone with an elderly relative. I am a health care assistant of 25 years myself and know what to look for in regard to bad practice and I am glad to say observed none. I'd like to say a big thank you to the manager and all the staff at Claydon House.

My father moved to Claydon House six weeks ago and is being very well looked after. The management and staff here are second to none, the building although needing a bit of renovation, as older buildings do, is open, light, warm and welcoming. The food is extremely good, with choice at every meal, but it's really the staff, patient. caring and cheerful who are the stars. Nothing is too much trouble for them!

All I can say coming through the door, I felt at peace. Staff waved, big smiles. Staff couldn't do enough, we were as cared for as my husband. From the word go we trusted everybody. The first staff member was brilliant, tremendous staff they are all an asset so kind to my husband. We now miss our visits to Claydon. We valued the head chef and his Christmas dinner which we attended with my husband. Little things matter the most when we loose our loved ones.

The service and care the staff show you can't fault them, nothing is too much trouble, when you arrive you are greeted with a smile and a cheery hello. Even though you know how hard they work, they are always ready to ask how you are feeling today.
The residents have so much going on for them, they all seem happy, the food is good, something different every day, you could't ask for anything more. A good home.

My mum was well looked after in the four weeks of respite. Some of the furniture, fixture and fittings were very shabby and needed attention.

How likely would you be to recommend Claydon House Care with Nursing? Likely

Karen Grainger, Home Manager at Claydon House Care with Nursing responded to this review on 04 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Claydon House, we really appreciate your feedback. We always welcome the chance to improve, and are currently reviewing opportunities for refurbishment and renovation in the home. At Claydon House we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities for all of our residents to enjoy. We hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

My mother has been a resident at Claydon House for 9 years. She has just celebrated her 100th birthday. The staff worked very hard to give her a wonderful party, which I and all the family hugely appreciated and which made my mother very happy. The staff are really lovely. They are sensitive and kind and treat my mother with dignity and affection. The chef deserves a medal. He not only provides delicious, nutritious food but is always gentle, kind and flexible. The activity coordinators, the nursing staff and care staff, the house keepers, laundry, kitchen staff are brilliant. Many thanks to all.

I came to view Claydon House and Karen the manager was excellent in her tour of the home and knowledge of the residents. The ambience was very calm and it was noticeable how there was excellent interaction between staff and the residents.
The home has a quiet calm about it and the staff are very good with their changes. They have made themselves aware of my aunt's needs and preferences and cater for them well. The menus are varied and my aunt is eating well and gradually settling in her new home. Flexibility has been good for family visits.

Having moved into my 95th year am most impressed by the genuine caring attitude of people so much my junior, whatever race, gender or faith. Good examples by some who profess no religion.

The activities ladies Glynn and Lori are outstanding. I now really look forward to my visits to find out what dad has been up to!

My mother went into Claydon House for respite care after a fall in her home. All the staff here are fantastic, sweet and kind, especially manager Karen Grainger, deputy Tracey Jones, Lori Woolgar, Michelle Dunn and Vanessa Redford. Thank you for looking after my mum!

I am most impressed by the Senior Housekeeper Sandra. She is unfailingly pleasant and efficient, within the bounds of her limited equipment (apparently one washing machine and one drier, both of which break down from time to time, for up to 48 residents). Despite these problems, Sandra and her team manage to deliver clean clothes correctly to my husband, whose shirts she always irons. She is quite often found to be working late without complaint and does a really good job.

Since my mother has been in this home she is happy and content, her personal hygiene is catered for, it gives us as a family peace of mind that she is being well looked after. The staff are lovely and friendly and we are made to feel very welcome when we come to visit. They have great activities and include all residents. I would happily recommend this home it gives us peace of mind.

Claydon House offers good quality accommodation and nursing care. It also provides an excellent programme of varied activities throughout each week.

It was a relief to know my wife was well cared for. The staff kept her clean, smart and well fed. My wife was happy and then I was happy to know this.

Very good, I've been here for 16 years. I like the caring, Christian behaviour. I like the staff and pray for them as they look after me.

My mother has been there for 21 years, great staff!

Top quality care home. Very impressed with choice and quality of food.

Quite simply the best care home we have found.

My father has been in Claydon House since January 2014. He is very happy and relaxed. The staff are very friendly, happy and professional. They are kind, patient and give my father time. They involve him in activities and outings and encourage him to mix with other residents. They always have something interesting going on eg. music, quizzes, theme days, etc.

My father seems very happy and is well looked after and always treated with dignity.

My mother, who is now 99 years old, has been a resident of Claydon House for nine years, during that time she has been very happy and well cared for. In the last year I believe the home has reached even higher standard of care than previously, although it has always been good. The nursing staff and caring staff are absolutely wonderful, as are the chefs and kitchen staff and all the housekeepers. They are a fabulous team and I can't thank them enough for the unfailingly sensitive and kind care they give to my beloved mother.

This is an excellent care home. Most importantly the staff are first class, they demonstrate real love and affection for the residents, are attentive, friendly and engage with residents as human beings rather than objects of pity. My mother is content, well looked after and safe and I would recommend Claydon House to anyone looking for a care home for a friend or family member with dementia.

Each time I visit Claydon House I am always impressed with the staff, especially the nurses who always make time for us. Always so clean and none of the 'smells' etc you associate with hospitals and care homes. Menu's seem varied so always a choice. My sister is always treated with dignity and respect. Overall completely happy with Mary's care.

My father has been a resident at Claydon House since early January. He took a while to settle but Karen and her staff have been excellent with him, he is now relaxed and enjoying his time there. They have only just taken on a new entertainment manager so I expect that soon I can also give excellent to that too.

I found the staff very caring and considerate and my wife enjoyed her stay.

Submit a Review for Claydon House Care with Nursing

Healthcare Assistant

To be discussed (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)
Lewes, East Sussex

Karen

Karen Grainger

Joined: 2010

As manager of Claydon House, Karen leads her professional staff team in delivering the highest level of residential, nursing and dementia care for up to 47 residents.

Karen took a slightly different career path to many of our Home Managers, having originally trained as a Registered General Nurse in the Royal Air Force. She served for six years in total, including time spent at Headley Court, the renowned rehabilitation centre for injured service personnel.

Having gained valuable end of life care experience working as a nurse in a hospice, Karen then spent nine years working for Continuing Health Care, in which time she was promoted to Lead Nurse for West Sussex and recognised for her dedication to customer service and teamwork. This varied experience has seen Karen develop into a highly effective care home manager in recent years, with Claydon House now benefitting from her hard work, confidence and management skills.

‘I feel privileged to be able to make a difference to people’s lives, knowing that the small things we do really matter to our residents and their loved ones.’

As well as spending time with residents and making sure they are comfortable, safe and happy, Karen sees it as an important part of her role to act as a mentor to her team. She firmly believes that a happy, fulfilled and motivated staff team will be in a better position to consistently deliver a high standard of care.

In her spare time, Karen enjoys reading, walking her dogs and keeping fit. She attends a ‘boot camp’ style fitness group as well as classes 2-3 times each week.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Claydon House Care with Nursing