Lauriston, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex

St Leonard-on-Sea's Lauriston Christian Nursing Home offers a flexible care service for a wide range of elderly and related care needs, maintained by a team of dedicated and qualified care staff.

The home is well-situated for the pursuit of an independent lifestyle, with many shops and services nearby and great coastal views to enjoy.

The home's expertise has been shown to be effective in looking after cancer and stroke care needs, as well as people with Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis.

Lauriston provides nursing beds, residential elderly and residential dementia beds.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Person in charge: Patrick McCrossan (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 60 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Lauriston: click here

The user Review Score of 9.2 for Lauriston is based on 11 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.155 is made up of 4.788 Points relating to the ratings and 4.367 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

When my mother suffering from late stage of Alzheimer's was admitted on 15/10/15. All of the carers and managers could not have treated her better, it was like on large family. I was very lucky to have had my mother looked after by this very caring home. I cannot praise them enough. When my mother was getting weak and then had a stroke they were so caring, not only for my mother but a huge support for myself and my family. I am very grateful she was in this home being cared for at the end of her life.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Patrick McCrossen, Home Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 13 Jan 2016:

Thank you for your response it is so wonderful to get such comments from our relatives, of course at Lauriston we pride ourselves on good quality care and staff will be grateful to receive confirmation that this has been your experience.

I have been very impressed with Lauriston over the last six months. The care my father has received has been excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Patrick McCrossen, Home Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 31 Dec 2015:

Many thanks for this review. We are absolutely committed to ensuring that we provide the highest level of care in a safe and homely environment. The Staff have been working very hard to improve the standards of care and positive comments like this are much appreciated.

I love coming to this home because my dad is so well looked after, and the staff are so friendly, welcoming and experienced. I look forward to visiting my dad. The home itself is kept spotlessly clean and tidy. The décor is all new. I would highly recommend this home for it's activities programme and the outings. My dad is happy here which eases our guilty. Everyone shows respect to both visitors and service users.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Thank you for your kind words and support, the staff team are dedicated to the care of our residents and it's always great to get positive feedback to support.

This care home took care of my grandfather. He really liked it there, it is clean and the staff were really friendly. His room was a really good size and their is lots of activities for the residents to keep them entertained. The food looked great and I was made to feel really welcome as a visitor. I would recommend this care home with no issue.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on the system, the team really appreciate your kind words of support.

Our mother moved to The Lauriston after many months in and out of hospital, suffering from a range of medical problems. She had spent much of that time in bed and was reluctant to mix with other patients. During her short stay at Lauriston she became much more sociable, and like her real self, spending most of each day with other residents and participating in activities. She enjoyed the food and attention given to her, and we felt she was definitely treated as an individual, with her care focused on her specific requirements. This improvement was significant and due to the approach and attention of the nursing and care staff, and the standards set by the manager and deputy. The environment – spacious, light and airy – and comfortable rooms contributed to her well-being. Our interaction with all staff has been very encouraging and they were genuinely sorry when mother died after so short a stay.
As the pressure for late-life care increases the charitable ownership of homes, as is the case here, is the way forward and should be encouraged.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts, it's really good to have positive comments, it's confirmation we are delivering good quality care.

A wonderful care home with an exceptional eye for detail in care of the elderly and dementia. My wife and I were very impressed with the high standard of care provided and the numerous sensory aids around the home.

The home was clean and appeared to be very well run by the manger and his new deputy, nothing was ever too much and they were always on hand to offer guidance and support as needed.

The care staff were very polite and well mannered and we were always offered drinks on arrival and during the visits.

My father really enjoyed his stay with you and was always busy watching films or taking part in the numerous activities around the home and will look forward to another break soon.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Lauriston prides itself on providing good quality care, it's great to get confirmation that we are successful in our endeavours to do so

Where to start..... Although my opinion of this home has always been a positive one, I felt compelled to write a few words having seen directly the recent improvements which have been put into operation. First of all, the management of this home has improved dramatically - In the past few years I have observed a very high turnover of staff at all levels (management and operational). The past high staff turnover resulted in poor staff morale and had a knock on effect with the residents. The newly appointed Manager really is a "breath of fresh air" someone who instills real confidence and is a really "nice friendly bloke" to boot. Having met him and discussed my past concerns, I am supremely confident this man can get things sorted. He is now supported by his Deputy who was a successful care home manager herself for many years (I have met her and had many positive dealings with her in her own home over the years).

My involvement in this home is a professional one, I act in the best interests of one of it's long term residents. One of my tasks is to ensure my client is being properly cared for in a safe and stimulating environment. Following the recent changes throughout the home I am more than satisfied that this resident is being properly looked after and cared for.

Unlike most local care homes this home is owned and run by a "not for profit" charitable organisation. All the home really needs to do is to simply "wipe it's face" and pay the costs of the actual CARE itself generating only enough profit for future investment (improvements). No fussy forensic accountants here, hedge funds or shareholders seeking a quick buck! This should instill confidence for those of you looking for a care home where the residents come first.

My only (very minor) gripe is that the home has no wifi - I wanted to get my charge a "Now TV" box but there is no nearby router!

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Jonathan Catterwell, Services Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 17 Sep 2015:

Thank you very much for your kind and ecouraging comments. There has been a lot of development at Lauriston with particular emphasis on the team. I'm also delighted that we have been able to demonstrate that hard work and effort in the feedback we have been receiving recently. One thing to add, WiFi is available to all residents, relatives and guests. All you need to do is speak to the admin team at the home and they will organise access.

My aunt came to Lauriston after two other local homes said they could not cope with her falling so much. A programme was immediately put into practice. I can not fault the care and attention she received even as her dementia got worse. She really enjoyed the food there and ate well right up to the end. The end of life care was very good and I was always listened to when explaining some difficulty. The staff were all genuinely upset when she died and very caring for my cousin and myself.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely LIKELY

Jonathan Catterwell, Service Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 02 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your kind words which will be passed on to the team at The Lauriston. Our deepest sympathies for your loss, your aunt will be missed in the home. I'm glad we were able to make the last few days as comfortable as possible.

Staff friendly and supportive to residents and relatives. They are knowledgeable of their residents needs. The home is lovely and clean. There are activities put on everyday. resident all seem happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Likely

Patrick McCrossan, Home Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 04 Aug 2015:

Thank you. The team are very committed to ensuring we provide person-centred care and are always looking at ways to encourage engagement.

I was delighted when I first walked into Lauriston. First impressions was how clean it was and how calm it was. The manager and staff are all very caring. I know I can leave my husband in excellent hands.

Thank you. We work to a very strict cleaning regime and ensure the home is safe and clean. The team here are always on the look out for ways we can keep cleanliness to an optimum.

Since the new manager has taken over at Lauriston I've seen a great improvement of the home. If I or my family have any concerns about anything the manager is always there to listen and act on the issue straight away. We could not wish for a nicer person.

Submit a Review for Lauriston

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Lauriston

There are no jobs posted yet for Lauriston

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Lauriston