St Raphael's, Danehill, Haywards Heath, East Sussex
St Raphael's
St Raphael's

St Raphael’s is a renovated property that suits the daily care needs of older and mentally ill residents, who are looked after thanks to the pastoral care techniques of the Sisters.

This charming property is constructed from fine local sandstone, with many pleasing features retained despite being upgraded to suit the practice of modern care capabilities.

The Sisters continue to adhere to the vision of founder Canon Peter Maes, taking an active part in the day-to-day running of the provision.

Group: Trustees Augustinian Community

Person in charge: Sister Mary Basil (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 58 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Latest CQC* Report on St Raphael's: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by St Raphael's

There are no awards/recognitions posted yet for St Raphael's

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.3 for St Raphael's) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of St Raphael's

On a friends recommendation I took my husband, who has Alzheimer's to St Raphael's and he was there for 6 years (when admitted his prognosis was 2 years!!). I cannot speak too highly of the care given, not only to him but also his family. Two of my friends have recently sent their loved ones there (on my recommendation)and they are as delighted as I was.

Submitted by Margaret R (Wife of Resident/Service User) on Tuesday 23 September 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

If your parent wants the best care possible then look no further. All the staff are excellent and cheerful, No mean feat given the testing circumstances. If I ever need care, I hope it will be here.

Submitted by Simon H (Son-in-law of Resident/Service User) on Friday 11 July 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

I cannot speak highly enough of the care and attention paid to my ex wife, by all the staff at St Raphel's, she has been suffering from Alzheimers for the past 3-4 years and it is obvious the staff are used to dealing with this disease. Mrs Dowd always seems quietly contented, tidily dressed and preserved. I visit her every three weeks, together with my elder daughter and grandaughter. All visits are unannounced and can be made anytime during the day. The costs for the home are very reasonable.

Submitted by Brian D (Ex Husband of Resident) on Thursday 22 May 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

St Raphael's is an absolutely wonderful care home. My mother has been a resident there for the past nine years and I have never had a moment's doubt about the exceptional quality of the care she has been given. The atmosphere amongst staff and residents is extremely warm and cheerful. Visiting is a pleasure and you are welcomed with offers of tea and coffee and homemade cakes. I have never had any hesitation about taking my children to visit their grandmother even though my youngest was only two years old when my mother moved there. Other homes we looked at had newer facilities, en-suite bathrooms and so on. St Raphael's has instead a feel of a real home rather than a hotel. It makes for a wonderfully warm relaxed atmosphere. It is always clean and my mother is always beautifully dressed. She is treated with dignity and love. My mother has been nursed with the utmost professionalism and attentiveness. The staff are exceptional individuals from the management down. There is very little staff turnover and it is a credit to the home to see many of the same staff over these past nine years. As a family we will always be grateful that a place like St Raphael's exists. When we leave at the end of a visit I know absolutely that I am leaving my mother in the best possible hands. I don't think I can give higher praise than that.

Submitted by Gillian Gray (Parent is a care home resident) on Monday 31 March 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

I came to St Raphael's for a month respite care after a major operation. The service was exceptional and the quality of care of the highest standard. The sisters and staff were highly efficient and focussed, but low key in their manner, which made for a restful and healing environment. I would call St Raphael's a hidden gem and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family.

Submitted by Dominic R (Service user) on Friday 28 March 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

A beautiful, tranquil place where the residents and staff appear always to be content. I visit many nursing homes and this combination in my opinion is rare.

Submitted by Doretta D (Daughter of resident) on Friday 17 January 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

I cannot recommend this care home highly enough. The calm, living atmosphere and quality of care is outstanding. The religious sisters who manage the home are totally dedicated and are always in attendance ready to attend to everyone's needs. There is ample of quiet and calm. Nursing care through out the staff who give as much time and attention as any residents needs. Nothing is too much trouble, and they always have a ready smile for visitors and time to discuss resident considerations with the residents with humour and genuine nursing care.

Submitted by Elizabeth H (Friend of Resident) on Tuesday 7 January 2014.

Review of St Raphael's

My Grandma lives at the care home and has done now for about 7 years now. Since being at the care home, my Grandma's health has deteriorated due to her age and her support needs have increased greatly. Throughout her time there she has been treated exceptionally well with compassion and respect, she always looks well dressed with her nails painted too. I have also witnessed the way in which staff treat other residents, which has always been with dignity and respect. The home is clean, attractive and well maintained. The food looks nice. I could not think of a nicer place for my Grandma to spend the rest of her day.

Submitted by Caroline Robins (Relative) on Tuesday 5 November 2013.

Review of St Raphael's

I would highly recommend this care home. It is a lovely setting and doesn't have that usual care home smell. The staff really look after the residents well, their food is always a very good standard and nothing is too much trouble. Visitors are also looked after very well. It doesn't feel like you are visiting a care home.

Submitted by Jo Peacock (Father-in-law is a resident) on Friday 6 September 2013.

Review of St Raphael's

A very homely place where residents are treated with dignity. Staff are very caring and nothing is too much trouble. After 2 bad experiences, I am completely happy and very satisfied to have my husband here - great peace of mind for me.

Submitted by Evelyne Peacock (Wife of user) on Thursday 29 August 2013.

Review of St Raphael's

St Raphael's is a wonderful place. Our family is delighted by the care which my wife has received there during the last 8 years. The care is given by the staff with genuine love and affection and is of first class standard.

Submitted by Tony (Husband of Care Home Resident) on Saturday 24 August 2013.

Submit a Recommendation for St Raphael's

(please write a short headline summary)

There are no jobs posted yet for St Raphael's

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Raphael's