Barchester Westergate House Care Home, Arundel, West Sussex

A former mansion house with its own extensive grounds, a Grade II listed home, Westergate, has plenty of local amenities in nearby Chichester yet within easy reach of Arundel and the beautiful South Downs. They provide first-class 24-hour nursing care alongside expert care for people with dementia in the Memory Lane Community.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focuses on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And dedication can be seen across the board - in cooking, hospitality and organising activities for the residents.

Owners think you'll find they're suited to meet your needs now and in the future.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Paul Anthony Middleton (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 76 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Barchester Westergate House Care Home: click here

posted 02 Feb 2016

We currently have limited availability - 1 Frail Elderly Nursing/Residential and 1 Dementia Nursing. Please contact us to discuss your needs further. We would love to welcome you for a visit.

The user Review Score of 9.3 for Barchester Westergate House Care Home is based on 28 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.278 is made up of 4.567 Points relating to the ratings and 4.711 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

I placed my father at Westergate House for a two week 'respite' stay over Christmas and the New year as I had moved the week before and couldn't accommodate him in my new home. Westergate team welcomed him warmly and without exception were kind, understanding and compassionate toward him.
My father has vascular dementia and an obstinate nature which requires a flexible approach depending on where he is in his 'journey'. The team demonstrated this.
The accommodation was clean and the bed really comfortable - my dad even managed to sleep past 8.30 - unheard of!
The food wad also brilliant - he ate well and healthy for a change, and enjoyed the company and banter over a glass of wine.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Westergate House Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

We came to use Westergate House for care for Mum initially as respite as she has vascular dementia after looking at a variety of homes int he area. In her short term stay the staff were both professional but friendly and approachable to us and Mum. Mum's week went far better than we had anticipated. Shortly after this Mum deteriorated and we looked to placing her there permanently. The home were supportive and a great help to us in accommodating her at short notice whilst we sorted things out. Mum has settled well and the fact she has her dog with her is brilliant. Whenever we visit we are made to feel very welcome and included. They have enabled us to hand over Mums care and feel confident that she is safe, happy and part of a caring community.

Staff - Excellent, capable, knowledgeable always cheerful and helpful.
Food - Unable to comment as rarely present at mealtimes.
Room - Large and spacious, facilities lacking not enough stimulus care covered a wide group of patients some in advanced state of dementia mixed with other patients.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Westergate House Care Home? Likely

Very nice building with well maintained gardens. A few of the staff are excellent others not so. Rooms a good size but some quite dark with old draughty windows. No gates from the road to the main gardens so not suitable for anyone with dementia in the normal wing. Separate wing for the more advanced sufferers of dementia but nothing for those who can still hold a conversation and still like to walk outside in anything other than a small garden area which is more like an exercise yard and only usable if accompanied by a member of staff who never seem to have time to take them out. Very few outings organised in fact I am only aware of two in the 18 months my friend was there. When questioned about this the management admitted that again there was not enough time to do this. Food is not bad but for the price you would expect something perhaps a little more interesting. With regards to the fees, very much top of the range at £1000.00 per week and be prepared for way above inflationary annual increases (several times the rate of inflation this year). I cannot recommend this home as there is more to a care home than nice building and gardens, personal care and kindness are more important than surroundings and this place needs to get it's priorities right.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Westergate House Care Home? Extremely UNLIKELY

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Facilities: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Activities: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Tom Holloway, Digital Marketing Assistant at Barchester Westergate House Care Home responded to this review on 02 Nov 2015:

Thank you for reviewing our service, we are sorry to hear about your concerns.

We have an open door policy at the home for any matters to be raised with management. All our fees are needs assessed and individual to each resident. The home has an ongoing refurbishment and maintenance program to create a warm, homely and safe environment for all residents who live with us.

We needed a specialist dementia home quickly for our mother who could no longer be cared for at her current care home and were lucky to find that Westergate House had a vacancy.
We were immediately impressed with the welcome we received, the obviously excellent organisation, the friendly staff and the ambiance of the house. The programme of care promised for our mother was just what we felt she needed and we have placed her there with every confidence that she will be well cared for.
On arrival with our mother she was greeted by the member of staff who had assessed her the previous week and was taken into the EMI unit and made welcome, and was immediately engaged with a group who were playing scrabble. We believe that the one to one and the mental stimulation she will receive and to which we hope she will respond is just what she needs at this stage of her life.

Its early days yet but we have every confidence that Westergate House is the best place for her now.

I researched care homes carefully before choosing Westergate House. I found the staff professional, friendly and informative. The home was clean (no institutional smells), the public rooms were presented attractively to encourage activity and there was scope to decorate individual rooms with personal possessions. The food was outstanding and, most importantly, the knowledge of dementia and levels of care was impressive. My wife, has now lived at WH for eight months and I visit regularly. My initial views have been reinforced by experience and the WH team can be proud of what they achieve every day. Residents are treated most appropriately, I have never heard an angry word. My wife is now safe, calm and content.

My brother-in-law recommended Barchester homes as both his parents had been residents in one. My father moved to Westergate House after previously staying in two care homea six months in each. The previous homes were very disappointing. In Westergate I can visit unannounced at any time and be welcomed into a caring atmosphere. My father is in safe hands and treated with dignity and compassion and also an intelligent adult despite his dementia. As I live outside the UK I can sleep easily knowing my father is in the best of hands and the staff all of them are brilliant.

Spacious home set in large gardens well lit with easy access and ample parking. Two sections to the residential care facility "old age" and "dementia care" Caring competent staff, well dressed and mannered knowledgeable about the residents needs and desires. Room is sunny with a window overlooking the meadow attached toilet ample room well furnished. Meal times, regular menu displayed at entrance. adequate quantity and varied quality of food. Dining area spacious and clean. All facilities including reclining chairs. Rooms tidy and corridors clean. Good security measures.

This home is the very best in the area.

My mother's needs greatly increased as her Altzheimers took over and and I was unable to cope. Barchesters nurses & staff are like angels. Nothing is too much for them & if they don't know themselves, it may be due to shift changes, they will always find out. Clean & pleasant surroundings with plenty of occupational activities.

Very impressed with the caring attitude of the staff.

Every time we visit John he is always clean and well cared for. Although John is very poorly and cant join in many activities he is always included as much as possible with whatever activity is being provided. When John moved to Westergate House in August 2014 he was very poorly, receiving end of life care. The fact that he is still with us today is a reflection of the high level of nursing and personal care he has been receiving. The staff are always very friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. We feel John has bonded with his care workers and responds to them well and it is a huge relief to us that he has settled in so well.

I have nothing but good to recommend Westergate house, when my cousin came in with his loyal dog they gave them both a month trial and all was well. My cousin said he wouldn't go into a home unless Sparky would come too, I was so grateful to the staff of Westergate House. Other homes wouldn't entertain even a trial. My cousin seems to be happy and they look after him well and I know he is not easy.

Westergate House stands out as the type of care home you would want someone you care about to be looked after.
In the dementia unit the residents are treated with such respect and in a dignified manner.
The staff take the time to get to know the residents which certainly helps with the management of someone with dementia.
The home is a happy, pleasant place to visit and I always feel relaxed when I am there.
The staff always deal with any concerns you may have in a prompt, professional manner.
I can safely say that my Dad has the best quality of life he could possibly have given the circumstances of his advanced dementia
and for this I'm very grateful to everyone at Westergate House.

Immediate reassurance from speaking to the manager Paul, that the care and service my parents would receive would be of a very good standard, based on assessment of individual need to formulate person centred care plans. I was informed my parents would have up to date care plans, a key worker and every day a named member of staff would be responsible for ensuring my parents had their identified needs met. I was also impressed by the lead nurse and head of care who both demonstrated they were clinically sound and as my parents both have identified health needs this was vital in choosing the right care home.
The home is very beautiful as is the grounds this is a bonus as the care is the most important feature for my parents.
Every member of staff involved in supporting my parents are knowledgeable and are genuinely interested in making my parents stay a happy and fun one. The staff team appear happy and jolly and every time I visit, they are interacting with the residents and attending to their needs promptly with dignity and respect.
I feel that Westergate House is an excellent home and I am confident my parents will be cared for at the standard that I would like to see in every home.

Both our parents are residents at Westergate House. It is a huge credit to Paul and his wonderful team that mum and dad have settled in as quickly and as well as they have. The understanding of their needs and respect for their individuality is in the forefront of their care. We will always be grateful for the genuine affection and compassion of the staff, which seem boundless!

From the moment my mother was admitted to the dementia unit at Watergate House, I felt happy that she was being cared for as I have wished. The staff are friendly and their care of residents in the dementia unit is amazing. They have great patience and understanding with residents and families alike. I am able to speak to them if I have any concerns about my mother's health or well-being. Activities are arranged on a regular basis and visiting hours are very flexible. My mother’s room is always clean and tidy as are all areas of the unit. The gardens are well kept and accessible to residents (with supervision). Although my mother has dementia, she still has high praise for all the staff and is very happy.

Wonderful carers. Very good food. Nice and warm and comfortable. Couldn't ask for more.

After less than satisfactory stays at two previous care homes, we were lucky enough to find Westergate House.Mum has been a resident here for nearly 2 years now and we cannot fault anything at all about this home, in fact, it seems to get better and better. The staff are truly amazing, caring, friendly and diligent about their approach to their charges. The most important thing by far is that mum is now happy, relaxed, (she was frightened at the previous home) and healthy, and when I see her, I am reassured and confident that I am leaving her in kind competent hands. Thank you Westergate House!

Caring staff and good facilities.

The best home I saw when choosing one for my wife and, if that day comes, my choice for me. The staff are outstanding in their care and concern for the residents and the relatives.

Friendly caring staff. Paul Middleton (manager) is very caring and most helpful. Home is in very pleasant surroundings. Julia (activity co-ordinator) is wonderful with residents.

My son Peter, visited several care homes in, and near, our area, and chose Westergate House. I cannot praise it enough, and you experience a great service, beginning at reception and following through. Worthy of notice, is how the staff deal with difficult residents so kindly. We visit frequently and appreciate the family atmosphere.

Because they care, I care: I am very satisfied that having chosen a Barchester home, they do live up to their reputation. The staff from cleaners, maintenance, gardener, carers, cooks, nurses, admin and especially the General manager go that bit further every time. We could not ask for anything, except a pot of strong tea, not cups and weak every time, that's our only complaint. Well done Westergate.

It's a very difficult decision to make on someone else's behalf when the time comes for them to go into full time care. This decision became much easier after visiting Westergate and being shown round. The home is bright, spacious and cheerful with lots of colourful pictures and murals and none of the lingering smells which are so often prevalent. Mum's sunny room overlooks a field with trees and horses and the Home's gardens are pleasant to sit in when weather permits. The location is peaceful and attractive. Most of all though we are impressed by the staff who are friendly and cheerful and full of smiles. They seem very kind and caring. It has required a period of adjustment for Mum but she has settled in with their help. We had dreaded moving her into care but are glad to have her in Westergate and grateful for their care.

Staff are respectful, caring and kind at all times.
They have persevered to meet the needs of my husband in an extremely professional way.
When I visit the home I am made welcome, and always greeted with a smile.

Westergate House is a fabulous place. The manager, Paul Middleton is excellent, he is caring and shows respect and kindness to my mother at all times. The rest of the staff are exceptional, nothing is too much trouble to them, and my mother is treated with dignity and care at all times. This also extends to resident's facilities and friends. Westergate House is also always a happy place, with lots of laughter and smiles.

I would strongly recommend this care home, they provide very good care to their clients, meeting specific individual needs. Very kind and friendly staff. Manager is approachable and proactive. Grounds and house is beautiful.

Submit a Review for Barchester Westergate House Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Barchester Westergate House Care Home

Care Assistant

Care Assistant/ Nights

Arundel, West Sussex

Registered Night Nurse (RGN)

£ Competitive + Free Training/ CPD (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Senior Carer

Arundel, West Sussex

Registered Night Nurse (RGN)

Competitive + Full Training CPD (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Paul

Paul Middleton

Joined: 2005

"I have over 20 years experience within the healthcare profession, working in the NHS prior to moving to the private healthcare sector in 1997; having been with Barchester for over 10 years now. My role is to oversee the smooth running of all aspects of the home across all departments. The quality of the delivery of person centred care is paramount in my philosophy to create a home where I would be happy to be a resident. I feel passionately about Westergate and together with my team, we are committed to making a difference for our residents, supporting individuals in everyday successes."

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Westergate House Care Home