Cedar House, Yelverton, Norwich, Norfolk
Cedar House
Cedar House

Tel: 0808 137 1493

Cedar House is located in the picturesque village of Yelverton, 2.5 miles south east of the cathedral city of Norwich, just off the main road between Great Yarmouth and Norwich. Cedar House is a fine period property providing residential and nursing care for up to 24 elderly people.

This beautiful former Rectory dates in part back to the 13th century and close to St Mary’s church. Although the current building dates from the 1800’s, records show that property existed here as far back as the 11th century when monks used it as a stopping-off point en route from Canterbury. The lovely half-acre garden with its beautiful trees is a particular feature. Boasting a summerhouse, gazebo and patio area, it is a wonderful place to sit and enjoy fine weather.

Small, friendly and with exceptionally high standards of care, sums up Cedar House. The main building has been sympathetically extended, converted and decorated to reflect its Victorian heritage. At the same time, along with the purpose-built annex, the property is equipped with every modern facility to ensure the best in comfort and care.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Debra Read (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 24 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Cedar House: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Cedar House

(Please Contact Us for further information on our current Bed Vacancies)
posted 01 Oct 2014

There are no awards/recognitions posted yet for Cedar House

The user 'Recommendation Score' (8.1 for Cedar House) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Cedar House

My partner has severe alzheimers disease and needs 24/7 care as she is unable to wash, feed, dress herself and is unable to move at all without the use of a hoist and a wheelchair. When I visited Cedar home for the first time and I was impressed by the empathy and care given to all the residents on this and all my visits and I was particularly impressed by the manager Debbie and her attitude towards her staff and residents.

Submitted by Nicholas C (Partner of Resident) on Monday 14 July 2014.

Review of Cedar House

Husband enjoyed his stay very much and said he would go back again. The food was very good. The only problem was I had to go back with a leaflet as I wasn't told I needed it and I was phoned for the NHS number when I was away. The staff are extremely pleasant, and overall there is a nice atmosphere.

Submitted by Linda B (Wife of respite resident) on Monday 20 January 2014.

Review of Cedar House

My mum of 89 years had to give up her house due to her health. We visited other care homes in Norwich which I didn't find suitable for my mum, but Cedar House is a friendly and caring home. The rooms are spacious and clean. Staff are always approachable for everything you need. My mum is very happy there. I visit her twice a week and I enjoy visitng here, knowing she is being cared for and she has everything she needs.

Submitted by Jackie B (Daughter of resident) on Thursday 29 August 2013.

Review of Cedar House

This home has only 24 beds. It is very well run. The nursing staff are excellent and patients are very well cared for. The team of carers are just that - very caring. When I visit I feel I am with a happy family. Laundry is somewhat disorganised; this is so with many homes, I feel it is important for residents to have their own clothes which is why I mention this.

Submitted by Jean R (Wife of resident) on Friday 7 June 2013.

Review of Cedar House

In January this year, my father was accepted by Cedar House Care Home, in Yelverton, Norwich. He had suffered another stroke which meant he had to have nursing care. The staff at Cedar House were most welcoming and enthusiastic and my father was given every consideration for his needs. The staff shared his humour and very quickly adapted to his cheeky ways. He had a great many health issues including vascular dementia, but he was happy and able to know where he was and who people were. In the few short months he stayed at Cedar House, I believe he was his happiest. Sadly during the summer he began to display a pattern of withdrawal which he seemed to do every year, and inevitably would result in him spending a few weeks in hospital. Noting this to the staff, they began to watch him more closely and attempt to reverse his pattern. They took him on an outing, which he remembered for a whole week!!! and they constantly asked the GP to monitor him and adjust his drugs accordingly. Sadly even with the best efforts, he still ended up in hospital and sadly this time, there was no more they could do, as he had suffered another stroke, which left him helpless, with a weak swallow reflex. My father became very ill in October and on Monday 1st, the staff could not get him to respond any more, nor open his eyes. We waited four days until he passed away. Although I cry at the memory, I can honestly say, the care he received was the most loving, most respectful and most attentive. The staff were open and honest about his condition, they phoned me at every slight change and the news of his passing was given with the greatest thought. When I arrived at the home, he was lying in his bed with his pillows around him, looking for all the world like he was just sleeping, and so comfortable. A red rose lay on his chest. The attention to detail was impressive. They even had his favourite music playing softly in the background. It is an image I can never forget and will always be deeply grateful for. Although the home is under staffed and expected to cope with very sick and helpless clients, they manage to do a first rate job. Care workers who give such dedication to the wellbeing of the long term sick and elderly, really should be rewarded with more than words. Cedar House need extra staff and they have requested more help. It would be a great way to recognise their dedication if more staff were given to them, and I am sure anyone working at cedar House would soon appreciate the fun and family atmosphere the staff aim to project. I trained as a nurse and my standards are higher than most!! When it came to the care of my father, nothing less than the highest expectations were expected. I can honestly say, that Mrs Read and her staff fulfilled the very highest expectations of my ideal, and gave my father the happiest and best last months of his life. To that end, my recommendation is that anyone lucky enough to get into this home, is guaranteed first rate care.

Submitted by Helen Scott (Daughter of Resident) on Monday 29 October 2012.

Submit a Recommendation for Cedar House

(please write a short headline summary)

Care Assistant

To be discussed

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)

Norwich, Norfolk

16 Oct 2014
Apply Here

Staff Nurse

To be discussed

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)

Norwich, Norfolk

07 Oct 2014
Apply Here

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Cedar House