Cedar House, Norwich, Norfolk

Cedar House is located in the picturesque village of Yelverton, 2.5 miles south east of the cathedral city of Norwich, just off the main road between Great Yarmouth and Norwich. Cedar House is a fine period property providing residential and nursing care for up to 24 elderly people.

This beautiful former Rectory dates in part back to the 13th century and close to St Mary’s church. Although the current building dates from the 1800’s, records show that property existed here as far back as the 11th century when monks used it as a stopping-off point en route from Canterbury. The lovely half-acre garden with its beautiful trees is a particular feature. Boasting a summerhouse, gazebo and patio area, it is a wonderful place to sit and enjoy fine weather.

Small, friendly and with exceptionally high standards of care, sums up Cedar House. The main building has been sympathetically extended, converted and decorated to reflect its Victorian heritage. At the same time, along with the purpose-built annex, the property is equipped with every modern facility to ensure the best in comfort and care.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Sue McBroom (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 24 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Cedar House: click here

posted 24 Aug 2015

Please call 01508 494207 for further information about the current Bed Vacancies at Cedar House.

The user 'Review Score' (9.4 for Cedar House) is based on 10 reviews. The Review Score is is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user reviews submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user reviews submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Review Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user reviews please click here.

Please note that before 1st July 2015 carehome.co.uk only accepted Recommendations (positive only), and as of 1st July 2015 all of the Recommendations are referred to as Reviews, and along with all Reviews (positive and negative) submitted since the 1st July 2015 they are included in the calculation of the Review Score. For further information on our move from Recommendations to Reviews please click here.

Cedar House

Vastly superior environment to previous care homes and our experiences there of. Compassionate and understanding staff. Have already recommended to others.

Cedar House

Uncle had to go into a caring home when he left the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. I was given a list of caring homes I went to three other homes but when I came to look at Cedar House the welcome was outstanding I was showed round the home and you were put at ease. Soon as I left Cedar House I knew that it was the home for my uncle I did not look at anymore homes and the management team sorted everything out with the hospital. Also what I like is that they keep you informed what is happening with him, I have told all the family and friends how good Cedar House is and how well my uncle has settled into his new home.

Cedar House

I found I was able to talk through personal problems with the manager (Ruth Hails) it was a particularly vulnerable time in my life which I found extremely helpful. The staff are very good. kind and helpful. It is a lovely environment to live in- I came as a respite resident not wanting to come and have left not wanting to leave.

Cedar House

Cedar House has seen many improvements in recent months, including an increase in staffing levels and redecoration, throughout the home. There is a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere with regular activities for residents who wish to part-take. The chef takes a pride in providing well-presented and nutritious meals. Staff have been especially kind to my mother since my fathers recent death; they are vigilant in her care and keep me well-informed regarding her state of health. The home is well managed with a refurbished laundry and a high standard of cleanliness.

Cedar House

I am very grateful for the wonderful care my husband received during the year he spent at Cedar House. Most of the staff are dedicated to giving residents the best possible care, treating them with respect and compassion. There has been noticeable improvement of standard at Cedar House under the management of Ruth, with much better organisation and levels of cleanliness and tidiness. I spent at least six hours a day visiting my husband and was made welcome by the lovely staff that they became like a family to me. This was show by the fantastic care that my husband was given in the last few days of his life and all the love and support given to me by the wonderful staff.

Cedar House

Comfortable accommodation. Pleasant staff, very helpful and kind. restful premises.

Cedar House

I feel I am treated as an individual, because this is a small home it feels like its my own home. I just feel happy here, If I am down I feel there are people to talk to day or night.

How likely would you be to recommend Cedar House? Likely

Cedar House

Compared to other care homes we have visited recently - Cedar House has a very homely, friendly atmosphere. The staff are always welcoming and make you feel like one of the "family". The residents are well looked after and the home is always tidy and fresh. The standards in the home have been raised in recent months - decorations are ongoing and new carpets and curtains are to be fitted. The gardens are pleasant and the residents enjoy sitting outside in good weather to experience the relaxing atmosphere.

Cedar House

My partner has severe alzheimers disease and needs 24/7 care as she is unable to wash, feed, dress herself and is unable to move at all without the use of a hoist and a wheelchair. When I visited Cedar home for the first time and I was impressed by the empathy and care given to all the residents on this and all my visits and I was particularly impressed by the manager Debbie and her attitude towards her staff and residents.

Cedar House

Husband enjoyed his stay very much and said he would go back again. The food was very good. The only problem was I had to go back with a leaflet as I wasn't told I needed it and I was phoned for the NHS number when I was away. The staff are extremely pleasant, and overall there is a nice atmosphere.

Submit a Review for Cedar House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Cedar House

There are no jobs posted yet for Cedar House

Sue

Sue McBroom

Joined: 2015

Sue McBroom has started as the new Home Manager at Cedar House Care Home in Norwich at the end of July 2015.

She is a qualified nurse with Leadership and Development Level 4 qualification. She trained as a nurse in Stockport, qualifying in 1988 and obtained her Leadership qualification in 2010.

Sue spent five years at Mencap managing three homes, during which time she achieved her leadership qualification, before moving into care home management. She lives in Fleggburgh, Norfolk so is local to the area.

Sue says: 'My key focus is person-centred quality care and there is a strong care team already in place at Cedar House able to help me deliver this.

'I look forward to developing our great team and working well together to provide the highest quality of care possible for the residents that we support now and in the future.'

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Cedar House