Oak Manor Nursing Home, Dereham, Norfolk

Oak Manor Nursing Home welcomes older people with residential and nursing needs and a diagnosis of dementia, making the most of peaceful village settings.

The home, which comprises both a sensitively converted original building and a purpose-built extension, has a range of dedicated facilities and activities for people living with dementia. These include a beautiful, courtyard garden and specialist sensory activities, where highly trained staff work with residents on activities designed to stimulate positive memories and feelings.

Oak Manor has been designed to meet the University of Stirling’s universally respected dementia care standards. The Stirling approach ensures that residents are able to move freely around the home, with bedrooms and communal areas appropriately laid out and clearly signposted to minimise confusion.

Oak Manor is ideally equipped to provide residential support for elderly people living with different types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia and Korsacoff’s syndrome. However, staff never lose sight of the fact that, first and foremost, Oak Manor is home to residents. The home has a light, airy and welcoming ambience and residents benefit from a broad and thoroughly enjoyable range of activities.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Anna Dragoeua (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 61 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Oak Manor Nursing Home: click here

8.7 Oak Manor Nursing Home has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.735)

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Oak Manor Nursing Home is based on 9 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 8.735 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.673 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.062 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 8.735 for Oak Manor Nursing Home is based on 9 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.673 for Oak Manor Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (77 Excellents x 5) + (21 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 104 Ratings = 4.673

The Quantity Score of 4.062 for Oak Manor Nursing Home is calculated as follows:

2. 0.1 x 8 Positive Reviews = 0.800

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Oak Manor Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Oak Manor Nursing Home

• Relative of Resident/Service User

The Overall Average of all the Ratings in the following

1 Reviews* is 3.2 out of 5

*The Average Rating only uses ratings from the 1 reviews. Ratings from the 8 recommendations are not used for the Average Rating as the rating options were limited to Excellent, Good and Satisfactory.

Care in this home has deteriorated significantly. Fabric of building is also in need of repair. Roof in main lounge has been leaking for over 6 weeks. No progress. Have asked for complaints form and told "we don't have any".

How likely would you be to recommend Oak Manor Nursing Home? Unlikely

Management: Poor

Anna Dragoeva, Home Manager at Oak Manor Nursing Home responded to this review on 22 Dec 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to review Oak Manor Nursing Home, we really appreciate your feedback. At Oak Manor we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities. We are fully supportive, but unfortunately totally reliant on the weather conditions and availability of our contractors. However, the roof has since been fixed. Caring Homes have a stringent complaints policy which can be discussed with me further if required. We welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

I like to play connect 4 with staff, card games, ball games, 'Oomph' chair exercise and music days.

How likely would you be to recommend Oak Manor Nursing Home? Likely

No Average Rating is available*

My mother in law is at Oak Manor. Staff are very caring. The entertainment co-ordinator is brilliant, enthusiastic, does lots of activities. Food is very good.

No Average Rating is available*

When I was finding a care home for my mum, this one immediately felt right. No smell, friendly, caring staff. It has not failed my mum. All the staff are lovely they all care. They try and do lots of activities, music, games, church service. There is a hairdresser and chiropodist. The food is delicious and varied.

No Average Rating is available*

I have enjoyed being at Oak Manor, and with the staff. The food is great, I really enjoy the singing on a Thursday. I get to dance with the staff. I have enjoyed the warm weather and spending time in the garden and walking down the drive. I like to relax in my room as well as chatting with others.

No Average Rating is available*

My husband has been in Oak Manor for 2 years he can be very difficult in his attitude and manor. He is looked after extremely well and I safe and well cared for at all times. The staff are excellent and very helpful at all times. The home is a home from home with first class carers to look after a wide variety of dementia patients with difficult and challenging behaviour. I would always recommend it for its staff and the care they give to their patients and the families.

No Average Rating is available*

Oak Manor is a very clean, well kept home. Staff are very helpful and caring. They keep me up to date with everything that happens to my husband and show me his records, very lovely carers, nurses and doctors. Manageress is one lovely lady and on the ball.

No Average Rating is available*

The home is very friendly and welcoming. The staff are all very caring. Twice I have noticed that my husband's fingernails needed a little attention and when I took nail things the next day they had already been done. All the staff talk to the residents, by name, even the cleaners. I couldn't have anywhere better for my husband.

No Average Rating is available*

Mum came to Oak Manor in October last year, they made my mum feel really welcome and at home straight away. They have a wonderful team here they are all so friendly, kind and supportive to. There care for mum is excellent and nothing is to much trouble. he choice of food offers a good variety and is well prepared and presented. A wonderful maintenance man is also readily available to assist us with any DIY requests for mums room. They also have a fantastic music afternoon where mum is encouraged to sing along.

Submit a Review for Oak Manor Nursing Home

Date: Wednesday 02 Nov 2011

Anna

Anna Dragoeva

Joined: 2015

I graduated as a nurse in 1993 and have worked in several different care organisations since then. I have been in managerial roles since 2011, and am currently working towards my Level 5 management qualification.

I’m responsible for managing the day to day duties and administrative functions of the home. I meet with residents, their friends and family members, to make sure their needs are being met and answer their questions.

I make sure every aspect of running the home is done professionally, in keeping with Health & Safety regulations, and that our residents are comfortable and well taken care of. I support the staff working in the home and liaise with doctors, hospital administrators and CQC inspectors as well.

My time here has been wonderful because I get to
split my time between creative and organisational tasks – I love having that duality. The smiles on residents’ and their families’ faces are overwhelming, and makes me feel like I’m doing my job right. I have always enjoyed helping people, so I know I am doing the right thing.

The knowledge and experience I have developed during my time working in health care helps me make a real difference here at Oak Manor. Since I took over as Home Manager I have worked with my Care Team to maintain and develop the high standards of care in the home, and we’re achieving some outstanding results.

I live in Norwich so I am very familiar with the local area, and being part of the local community is very important to me. The people I work with in the Home are all very nice and friendly, and this is one of my favourite things about Oak Manor.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Oak Manor Nursing Home