Oakwood House Care Home

Old Watton Road, Colney, Norwich NR4 7TP

Oakwood House Care Home, Norwich, Norfolk

At Oakwood residents can expect to receive a high level of professional care, with a strong focus on proper training and personalised provision. Nursing care is provided as well as other forms of care such as palliative and Parkinson's care for short or long term needs.

Situated in the small village of Colney, not far from the centre of Norwich, Oakwood provides a relaxed and friendly environment within safe and comfortable surroundings. All bedrooms have ensuite facilities and benefit from a 24 hour call system as well as a TV and telephone point.

The chef’s passion for food is reflected in the seasonal menu and always takes residents’ dietary needs into consideration. Freshly made cakes are popular to all residents.

With friends and relatives welcome to join in, many activities are enjoyed by residents with different levels of ability. Exercise classes, bingo and trips to Norfolk are particularly popular.

Person in charge: Agnieszka McDonald (Interim General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 49 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish, Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Oakwood House Care Home: click here

9.4 Oakwood House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.438)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Oakwood House Care Home is based on 24 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.438 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.458 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.98 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.438 for Oakwood House Care Home is based on 24 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.458 for Oakwood House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (142 Excellents x 5) + (111 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 271 Ratings = 4.458

The Quantity Score of 4.98 for Oakwood House Care Home is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Oakwood House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Oakwood House Care Home

The Overall Average of all the Ratings in the following

13 Reviews* is 4.4 out of 5

*The Average Rating only uses ratings from the 13 reviews. Ratings from the 11 recommendations are not used for the Average Rating as the rating options were limited to Excellent, Good and Satisfactory.

Respite care provided following corneal transplant surgery which had to be repeated. Staff went out of their way to provide taxis and carers to accompany me to several follow-up appointments. Reception staff particularly helpful, kind, considerate, a truly comforting experience. Eyes still a problem.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Sevice Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 16 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My wife was in Oakwood House for one week for respite care. She was very well looked after, and has said so both to me and to the staff. Nothing was too much trouble. She also felt that there was no pressure on her at any time.
From my point of view I was able to spend a much needed week away and was able to relax in the knowledge that my wife would be well looked after, which she was. I was in daily contact by telephone and there was a noticeable improvement in my wife's condition as the week progressed. Visitors also commented that my wife was improving as time progressed - and I just hope I can maintain that improvement now that we are home again.
I feel I must make comment on one particular issue: to me, the "front" of any organisation is the first contact, usually by telephone. Both receptionists were excellent in their attitude, instilling confidence right from the start; the confidence they gave me was well justified.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 26 May 2016:

I feel I have improved greatly since I've been here and I can't think of anything that needs improving in the home. It'll be emotional when I leave.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 21 Apr 2016:

I was here for a 10 day convalesce after a stay in hospital with severe concussion to the brain. The calm and beauty of the environment were very healing, the staff are very friendly and there was a cheerful atmosphere.
The food was no doubt tailored for the majority of residents (elderly English). I found it rather unappetising and had some difficulty getting my specific dietary needs understood and met.
The level of service rather went to pieces at the weekend, meal, were late or even one day I was simply forgotten. There seems to be a lack of central direction at weekends. But on the whole the experience was a very polite one for a convalescent period.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 06 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear about your experience of our home and appreciate your comments and will share with the homes manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I've had a really good experience here and feel I've built up my strength and confidence. Everyone's been really friendly and helpful throughout my stay. I'd be happy to recommend Oakwood House.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 18 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The staff are very hard working and the food was really good, maybe too good as I want to loose weight, it's almost too comfortable having everything done for you.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

I enjoyed my stay very much after being in hospital, everyone's been really friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Unfortunately experience was spoilt by other patients calling out in the night.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

My husband has been in this home for many years and he settled in this home very well. I am very pleased with how he is looked after by all the staff, they are extremely patient with my husband. I know he can be angry and not want to have things done for him at times and also for their concern for myself too . I have no concern for the care and activities that go on, although my husband is not able to partake in any of these activities. I am so thankful for everything that is being done for my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I was provided with excellent care and support following ankle surgery. I always found the staff to be happy and cheerful which made for an excellent atmosphere in the home. During my stay I had the opportunity to observe the staff caring for the residents who were less able than myself. this was done in a compassionate and caring manner.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

The whole place has a lovely atmosphere, very homely and caring, and as a relative, I was welcomed and made to feel at home. The care and respect given to my father-in-law is second to none. And the carers have been excellent, going above and beyond what would be expected of them. I can tell they really do care. I have been kept well informed of treatments and concerns and have been very well fed when I have been here all day. I can't thank everyone concerned enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

After a difficult short period in hospital after a comparatively minor operation I was left feeling weak and unhappy about returning home without a period of convalescent care. Although it took up an amount of my meagre savings I opted for a room with the largest area of window, which with a fortuitous "Indian Summer" was psychologically helpful. A three week stay has left me prepared to return home.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

My father has been at Oakwood House for 9 days now. I cannot think of a better place for him to be, he has security, peace of mind, brilliant staff around him. The whole place is welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble. It is total reassurance for me too as I can come home and not worry as he really is in very good hands. The staff really are amazing. My dad is enjoying the food and all the cups of teas too. Our only one criticism would be there needs to be more than one gardener as it is a big area for one person. But on the whole Oakwood House gets 100% from us.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed my stay at Oakwood House it was just what I needed after coming from hospital. The staff have been friendly and welcoming.

No Average Rating is available*

After a bad fall in my flat I asked my GP about private respite care. He recommended another place and so my family made arranged for me to come to Oakwood House Nursing Home as affiliated residents in adjoining grounds, more suitable for my needs. I have had first class care. Every member of staff is wonderfully helpful, kind and understanding. I could not ask for more. All meals are very enjoyable. Assistance in the showers in hair washing are such a boost to my well being I will not hesitate to return if the occasion arises and I need to rest. I am very homesick now and feel ready to leave. A very big thank you to everyone, I must remember to bring my own special tea bags next time.

No Average Rating is available*

Sometimes missed out on cups of tea, some people didn't close the door and left open at night. Overall stay was good. Food was ok but not to my liking.

No Average Rating is available*

Oakwood House Nursing Home (Norwich), Bupa Care Homes at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 07 Sep 2015:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience at one of our homes. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com so that we can give you a call to discuss this feedback.”

I was very well looked after during my week's respite after a hip operation. The staff at all levels were very helpful and friendly and worked well together. I was trying hard to be independent but the girls made it very clear each time that I must call if I needed help. Food was nicely served and individual preferences could be catered for.

No Average Rating is available*

Staff were all exceptionally kind, thoughtful and caring. It made a huge difference to my wife's recovery. We were both immensity grateful and your staff really are a credit to your organisation. We could not have coped without your help.

No Average Rating is available*

My wife seems much more happy with her regular respite at Oakwood House than she was previously. This is helped by her having a daily visit by one another of her regular carers.

No Average Rating is available*

I felt safe and secure here from the moment I arrived.

No Average Rating is available*

Mother was in Oakwood House for over 9 years. The standard of care was excellent with the same lead nurse for the whole time. Staff were very caring, supportive and helpful. The recent refurbishment brought the décor and furnishings up to scratch. We have no hesitation in recommending Oakwood.

No Average Rating is available*

We have tried several care homes for respite care for my wife. She hates being away from home but has been happier here than in any of the others we have tried. (Apart from one which was closed by the CQC because its rooms were not en suite. Pity, the staff were marvellous!)

No Average Rating is available*

I visit Oakwood House at least twice a week. I have found the staff to be pleasant and caring.
The manager obviously sets a good example. My friend has never once complained about the care she receives and always praises and thanks the staff.

No Average Rating is available*

I would have no hesitation in recommending Oakwood House. My wife who suffers from advanced Parkinson is well cared for.

Submit a Review for Oakwood House Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Oakwood House Care Home