Amberwood House, Ferndown, Dorset

Amberwood House is a beautiful home in Ferndown.

It is situated very close to the community arts centre, local shops, churches and doctors' surgeries.

Amberwood House is a bright, luxurious and welcoming home with 54 en-suite bedrooms, many of which overlook peaceful, landscaped garden.

The main lounge and dining room offer company and comfort and extends out onto a colourful patio from wide French doors.

Further cosy lounges, a cafe, an interesting library and an activity room all combine to make Amberwood a delightful home.

Group: Colten Care Ltd

Person in charge: Neil Dominy (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 54 residents

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Amberwood House is easily accessible by car. If you are using a GPS or route finder system to get to the home, enter the home's postcode BH22 9AX. Wilts & Dorset Buses service Ferndown and the surrounding areas. Services are frequent and there is a bus stop situated in the town centre.

At Amberwood House, there are no specific visiting hours, please sign into the visitors book. If outside of Reception hours, just ring the bell and a member of staff will enable your visit.

The home has its own car park, if you know when you are planning to visit, please get in touch and a space will be saved for you.

Latest CQC* Report on Amberwood House: click here

posted 20 Jun 2016

Nursing & Residential

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Amberwood House is based on 13 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.247 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.766 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.481 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.247 for Amberwood House is based on 13 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.766 for Amberwood House is calculated as follows: ( (119 Excellents x 5) + (34 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 154 Ratings = 4.766

The Quantity Score of 4.481 for Amberwood House is calculated as follows:

Our mother has been cared for at Amberwood House Ferndown for two and a half years, following a stroke and semi paralysis. With the help of 1st class nursing and efficient, friendly caring staff she soon regained her smile and is very happy in her home. Added to her care and support she enjoys a 1st class restaurant, beautiful gardens relaxing lounges to socialise in, a hairdressing salon, cafe and most importantly, to have the freedom and security to lead a normal life. We, her family and friends are always welcomed and encouraged to enjoy and participate in the varied leisure and entertainment program. We have full peace of mind that our manager's office is always open for comments/advice and that mum is receiving excellent care and enjoys her life in her family home whilst still receiving love from family.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberwood House? Extremely Likely

I am happy with all the care and support I get in Amberwood House. I think it's a five-star hotel and I was looking forward to coming back again. They are all kind and helpful, such as the manager and nurses and all other staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberwood House? Extremely Likely

My husband stayed here three years ago when ill and was looked after very well. Unfortunately he was very ill with cancer and died here on the 22nd of November 3 years ago. The staff had been very good and kind to him and he was looked after well, with great kindness.
I do get very fond of some of the lovely nurses who look after me, I am very grateful when they cheer me up when I feel low. Some even offered to go shopping with me. I feel so lucky to have them. I am deeply sorry when they are sent to another ward or room.

Excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberwood House? Extremely Likely

Travelling from Lancashire, stayed 2 nights in the "Guest flat". Very much appreciated this facility, enabling me to spend the most valuable time with my mum, experiencing her environment, friends and staff to the full.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberwood House? Extremely Likely

Rooms are very comfortable and attractive, though chairs could have been more comfortable. Bathroom ok, a good variety of food, laundry service could have been better, I lost two items of clothing which were never found. Staff were great, always pleasant and ready to help.

How likely would you be to recommend Amberwood House? Likely

Elaine Farrer, Director of Operations at Amberwood House responded to this review on 12 May 2016:

Thank you for your comments about the staff, management, accommodation, cleanliness and laundry service at Amberwood House. Please note we have a strict labelling programme for clothing in order to prevent items from going astray. This is part of our step-by-step admission guide. Thereafter, we rely on families letting us know when they bring new items of clothing in so they can be labelled as well. We are sorry about the missing clothing mentioned on this occasion. Please be reassured we do our very best to ensure laundry is cared for and not lost and are confident that this matter has now been resolved. Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts.”

Amberwood House is an excellent residential and nursing care home, with a superb staff who gave me great care and treated me with so much kindness. When I spent two weeks there for extra rest after my operation to remove a large growth and full hysterectomy at the age of 91 years. I thank them all/

How likely would you be to recommend Amberwood House? Extremely Likely

although I am very critical by nature, I was very impressed by his home. The staff were kind, courteous and efficient in every way and were able to deal with any problem I encountered. Nothing was too much trouble. The care and attention I received enabled me to return home after 4 weeks and look after myself.

I am the carer for my sister who has booked in for one weeks respite. I have been present for a large part of the day (11.30am to 7.30pm) and this has enabled me to assess the standard of care and accommodation and the quality of the meals provided. I observed the care received, not only by my sister but also to other residents and found it to be of a high standard. The staff are particularly attentive, polite and friendly and always eager to help. The accommodation is excellent and spotlessly clean. The décor and furnishings are maintained in pristine condition. The quality of the cuisine is outstanding, with a wide choice and generous helpings. The chefs go out of their way to accommodate those with special needs.

I cannot fault the care and attention given to the residents. The staff are dedicated, caring and comforting to both residents and relatives.

I would highly recommend.

This home is second to none.

My mother and father went to live at Amberwood soon after it opened in 2006. My father died there in 2008 and my mother has just died there in July 2014. The loving, compassionate care they both received at Amberwood was exemplary. The staff were always kind - nursing staff, activity co-ordinators, restaurant staff and housekeeping staff were always caring to my parents as residents and to myself when visiting.

Submit a Review for Amberwood House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Amberwood House

There are no jobs posted yet for Amberwood House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Amberwood House