Amberwood House, Ferndown, Dorset
Amberwood House
Amberwood House

Amberwood House is a beautiful purpose built Home in a delightful leafy setting in the heart of Ferndown. Very conveniently situated close to the community arts centre, local shops and churches and doctors' surgeries.

Amberwood House is a bright, luxurious and welcoming Home with 54 en-suite bedrooms many of which overlook the peaceful landscaped garden.

The main lounge and dining room offers company and comfort and extends out on to a colourful patio via wide French doors. Further cosy lounges, an interesting library and well equipped kitchenettes and an activity room all combine to make Amberwood a delightful Home.

Together with en-suite bedrooms, Amberwood House also has a selection of comfortable lounges, its own library and an activity room.

Group: Colten Care Ltd

Person in charge: Maggie Tomlin (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 54 residents

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Amberwood House: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Amberwood House

(Nursing & Residential)
posted 2 hours ago

There are no awards/recognitions posted yet for Amberwood House

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.5 for Amberwood House) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Amberwood House

My mother and father went to live at Amberwood soon after it opened in 2006. My father died there in 2008 and my mother has just died there in July 2014. The loving, compassionate care they both received at Amberwood was exemplary. The staff were always kind - nursing staff, activity co-ordinators, restaurant staff and housekeeping staff were always caring to my parents as residents and to myself when visiting.

Submitted by Jenny A (Daughter of residents) on Thursday 31 July 2014.

Review of Amberwood House

I would recommend this home for excellent service, caring staff. If I required a different sandwich at evening service, this was done no questions asked.

Submitted by Janice B (Resident (short term)) on Tuesday 6 May 2014.

Review of Amberwood House

My father (92) loved going into this home to be 'pampered', as he put it. Brilliant staff, very caring and professional.

Submitted by Peter Thornton (Son of Respite Care Resident) on Monday 20 January 2014.

Review of Amberwood House

I have nothing but good to say about this place. It is as near perfect as a place can get. It has a happy friendly atmosphere.

Submitted by Ivy Roberts (Respite) on Monday 13 January 2014.

Review of Amberwood House

I have just had a wonderful stay at Amberwood House, I was treated with dignity and very respectfully. The food is wonderful and served beautifully. The staff at Amberwood could not do enough to make my stay a memorable one. I thoroughly recommend the home.

Submitted by Peter Timothy Cosby (Resident) on Wednesday 4 September 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

My father has just had 10 days of respite care and he was extremely happy, as we were. Superb facilities and wonderful staff.

Submitted by Peter Thornton (Son of resident) on Friday 23 August 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

Amberwood is staffed by very friendly, competent people all of whom make my mum feel welcome and cared for. The daily program of events is well planned and caters for the needs of the generally elderly residents. The food is very good and is served in an airy and pleasant dining room or in the resident's room as required. I was particularly impressed during the recent hot weather when the residents were encouraged to sit out in the garden and were all provided with sunhats, suncream was applied as needed and plenty of cold drinks were available.

Submitted by Jackie Custard (Daughter of short term (respite) resident) on Tuesday 23 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

My husband and I are pleased to have found such a nice place. We have every confidence that we can leave her there whilst we are away from home. First impressions were good, staff are nice, second impression now that she is ensconced have not changed.

Submitted by Simone c (Daughter of resident) on Thursday 18 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

After visiting many Residential Care Homes in my area it was decided that Amberwood House would be ideal for my mother. The warm welcome,friendly atmosphere and cleanliness of Amberwood House when i visited was and still is outstanding. I was shown every part of the home and not just the rooms that were favourable. Prior to my mother living at Amberwood she lived on her own since my fathers death in 1974. She had become very lonely and isolated. My mother has lived at Amberwood since 2007 and is now approaching her 96th Birthday. During this time she has thrived. When my mother first moved to Amberwood my brother and i were concerned as to how she would settle, we need not have worried, six years on and we are delighted. My mother is a new person, she has kept her independence and is xtremely happy. She is always full of praise for Amberwood House. She participates in many of the activities and has won many of the in house competitions showing us the certificates and medals she has won. Mummy during her working life was a cook/housekeeper food has always been a topic of conversation. She can not talk highly enough about the food and service at Amberwood. We often have lunch with her and agree the food is excellent. The care and kindness she receives is 100% her words are "The carers live up to their name, they really care and are so kind nothing is too much trouble". If mummy is not feeling well i always receive a phone call. This i feel is extremely important. I have no hesitation in recommending Amberwood House to others looking for outstanding care for their loved ones.

Submitted by Moira M (Daughter of Resident) on Tuesday 16 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

Since my Husbands death in 1974 I lived alone, I was visited regularly by my son and daughter, i was very independent until my mid eighties. I then had some home care, however I never found this to be very satisfactory, I was never sure what time the carers would arrive if at all. We as a family decided that I would give residential care a try. My daughter visited many homes in her area and chose Amberwood House. At the age of 89 I moved into Amberwood House for a five week trial period. On returning home i decided that the home would give me a better quality of life than i could ever have at home. At the age of 90 i moved to Amberwood House i am now 97 years old. During the six years i have lived here i have been able to keep my independence for example i still make my own bed. The care staff are incredibly kind and caring and nothing is too much trouble, they go out of their way to make sure my needs are met. each day there are a range of activities and we are given a weekly planner so that we know what is going on. The activities organiser will pop down to see if i wish to participate or i can just watch and chat to the other residents. I must also complement the food. Everyday there is a wonderful choice on the menu for breakfast,lunch and dinner. However if i wish to have something different the chef will always offer an alternative. The waiting and kitchen staff are great, again nothing is too much trouble. My family often come for lunch and are always welcome. I mustn't forget the manager Maggie the manager of Amberwood House. Maggie is a warm a friendly person. She regularly pops into see me for a chat and to make sure all is well. Maggie is what i call hands on, which I feel is essential. I have no hesitation in recommending Amberwood House, as I have a rich and happy life and loneliness is a thing of the past.

Submitted by Doris B (Resident) on Tuesday 16 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

My mother was having difficulty living on her own. My sister lives in Ferndown and found the home after looking at several. This home appeared the most suitable. Mother has been there since 2007

Submitted by Dan B (Son of resident) on Thursday 11 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

This is a beautiful home, very clean and bright with cheerful decor. Ample, disabled friendly parking. Without exception the staff are very helpful and go out of their way to ensure that the residents are content and comfortable. Any problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently. Residents are encouraged to treat the care home as if they were at home. I would happily recommend this home to anyone.

Submitted by Philippa M (Daughter of resident) on Monday 1 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

The best care home and nursing in the district.

Submitted by Antonio F (Husband of resident) on Monday 1 July 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

Amberwood house is a lovely home. Very well run and friendly.

Submitted by Jan D (Carer) on Friday 28 June 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

Respite while my daughter has a break from looking after me.

Submitted by Violet Springall (Friend of resident/Respite) on Thursday 13 June 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

Very high standard of care, comfort and accommodation. Rooms decorated very tastefully, gardens and location delightful.

Submitted by Eunice W (Short term resident) on Tuesday 4 June 2013.

Review of Amberwood House

The staff take very good care of my wife.

Submitted by David B (Husband of resident) on Thursday 11 April 2013.

Submit a Recommendation for Amberwood House

There are no jobs posted yet for Amberwood House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Amberwood House