Grevill House, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Grevill House is a sixty-nine capacity care home located in Cheltenham, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for older people and a wide range of nursing needs.

Care charity and provider The Orders of St John Care Trust are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Joseph Caine (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gloucestershire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 50 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Grevill House: click here

The user Review Score of 9.6 for Grevill House is based on 47 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.576 is made up of 4.576 Points relating to the ratings and 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

If I was to go anywhere I would come back here, I was looked after very well. I arrived in a suicidal state and the staff have helped me to recover. They are wonderful, every single one of them.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Staff are very polite. Staff (Physio) doing a good job helping to reach my goals, and getting me home safely.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Everyone's been so kind, very obliging. No complaints. Food - okay. Facilities - bigger telly would be nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Very grateful to be here as all has been lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

This unit has done an awful lot for me, I am so much better with mobilising since being here. Staff have been marvellous, I could not complain at all about the staff, they have been great.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

It's a splendid place to be, and I wish I'd known it was here before. I found no fault. Food all right, attention's all night.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I am in the care of Ashley ICC. I have found the staff willing to help and encourage me to push forward in gaining confidence in learning to walk again and respecting and encouraging me to be independent.
I would also like to bring to your attention that the unit leader at Ashley ICC is involved and active in all the daily running of the centre. This reflects in the staff being happy, respectful and willing to go out of their way to make sure all individuals are receiving the best while at Ashley.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Feel happy being in here as I could get no rest in hospital, whereas here the environment is so welcoming. I now feel I can start to get better and back on my feet to return home.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Quite happy here, even though I am looking forward to going home. Staff are lovely and always very prompt answering the call bell. Treated with dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Feels perfectly content even though she didn't thinks she would be. She is very happy and surprised with how kind and lovely he carers have been. She has enjoyed her stay, whilst feeling very cared for. Would be happy to come and stay again.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Can honestly say it has helped me very much, I could hardly walk before coming here, now I can. Immensely happy with the staff, I couldn't ask for better.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I find that the manager is not very pleasant he doesn't speak when he sees you. I've never even had a "Hello" from him. Also it would be nice if the visitors could make themselves a hot drink especially when its cold outside.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

Joseph Caine, Home Manager at Grevill House responded to this review on 18 Jan 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. With regard to your comments, there appears to be a communication issue and I would like to ensure that any misrepresentation is addressed at the earliest opportunity. To that end, I will be in touch to arrange a meeting next time you are in the home. We have an open door policy here at Grevill House and visitors are welcome to meet up with me to discuss their concerns at any time. I have witnessed my staff on many occasions offering visitors a warm drink and I am not sure why this did not happen on this occasion. To make drinks more accessible and to meet the need for visitor refreshments we are in the process of installing a refreshment station in the home.

Made to feel welcome. All very friendly. Lovely room.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

All very kind to me. Nothing too much trouble. Lovely room, makes you not want to go home.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I received a warm welcome from a member of staff and from then on excellent care and attention from all. The physiotherapist here is excellent, nursing also and help is on hand at all times. From feeling really poorly, with the attention and intake of very good food, within a few days I was anticipating returning home. This is a very good home.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Anything I wanted I was given no hanging about for it. Very pleasant room. Food is good. Staff treat us as people. People would be "gone" if they found anything wrong with this place.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

After a fall at home I was admitted to hospital and transferred here to convalescence. The experience and care has been good. I should have had better from the NHS after paying for forty odd years for help and care which did not appear after a long time. I think one deserves some care after long service to the educational system of this country.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

All has been excellent. Nice rooms and staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Doesn't like to say excellent, prefers "very good".
Not able to do activities at the moment.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I was looked after by excellent carers and staff after an operation on my left foot (non weight bearing for 10 weeks) Everyone very kind especially night staff and the hairdresser!

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Good here, no problems, care is very good, kind staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

Enjoyed my stay here, well looked after and staff are kind and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

The staff are very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

I think it is wonderful here, the staff are pleasant.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I am very thrilled with the service I have received here at Grevill. The staff are absolutely super. I feel absolutely safe here which is great as it was my main worry and I felt very vulnerable but I have had lots of support here. I have no worried here they were taken off me being here. Happy with how I've been looked after. Wonderful place my main concern was to be treated with dignity and I've been treated with the utmost respect.

I find the quality of care to be good and caring. I stayed here six months ago and the home has improved remarkably. The food has also improved a great deal. I feel totally safe when I stay. I find the day staff very kind and attentive. I would defiantly recommend this home.

Cleanliness: Poor

My mother was welcomed into Grevill House only 12 days before she died. The care she received was first class throughout her stay. The staff at all levels received and treated mum amazingly well, with great kindness and sensitivity. The home manager was on hand and very helpful, even helping with the transfer from Stroud Hospital. With regards to activities my mother didn't get out of bed for the duration of her stay, so I couldn't comment.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I think the staff are great and its very clean. They provide anything possible that you need. Feel very safe. Don't think it could be any better. I live local. Food is nice, happy to stay here, displayed on plate lovely. Overall it's lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I cannot fault anything in the time that my mother was at Grevill House. The level of care and kindness was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for the staff and managers. They made a stressful time much easier to bear.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

I think it is absolutely marvelous. I stayed at a place before but this is far better. The staff are absolutely fantastic. You couldn't wish for better. I feel very comfortable here. No trouble whatsoever. Everyone is really kind.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely LIKELY

After being here once, I waited to be bale to come back to this home as I like it so much. It's very convenient for my family and friends it's very clean comfortable and a good team workers.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

All the staff are really friendly. Good care. Enjoy the food, lovely gardens as I sit outside most of the day. Organised best possible. I think I'm well looked after.

My mother is looked after very well, she really loves it there, even though she is completely bed bound. She is nearly blind but still knows most of the staff there by their voices. They try their hardest to give my mum everything she needs, ie. company, tea etc.

The carers were very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them day or night. I need a soft food diet and this was provided this is a five star establishment.

My friend was sent here after hospitalisation. She is on her own with no relatives anywhere near. I am impressed with the consistent cleanliness of her bedding and nightwear and the quiet way that staff move about also their cleanliness amongst themselves.

My father has spent 4 weeks in Grevill House and has received wonderful care. the staff have been extremely helpful and caring. They always seem to be smiling, he has been very well looked after and also enjoyed the food.

My husband has been well cared for and treated with kindness and dignity. Professional care has been very good. The food is excellent. I have observed care workers taking great pains to help residents when necessary at meal times. There is a visiting hairdresser and chiropodist and soem activities for those able to participate. I would unhesitatingly recommend Grevill House to anyone looking for a good care home.

I cannot praise this home enough. Dad has been a resident for over five years and has always received first class care. My mum died in November 2014 and all members of staff were so kind and considerate to Dad and all the family, even allowing the wake to be held at the home to make Dad feel comfortable. Dad considers Grevill House to be his home - I think that says it all.

Just pleased with overall standard of care and cleanliness.

Quality of care, e.f very caring and kind. we are kept informed of any change, medication changes, Dr visits.

Whenever I visited everyone was extremely friendly. The person I visited was treated very well and all the staff loved her. She was quite happy and settled until her death.

Mrs M (my friend) is very happy there, so would recommend it highly.

My aunt was admitted to Grevill House with serious bed sores after a bad experience at a previous home and hospital. They nursed her back to health and helped her integrate in her new home and socialised at meal times which she had refused before. As her health deteriorated the staff cared for her wonderfully and her needs were met. They kept me informed.

First rate nursing home. My mum has been well looked after and is happy and comfortable here.

My sister has settled very well, her room is very nice, adequate for her needs. She is very well looked after and the staff are great, very friendly and I think do a very good job. The chefs try very hard to find food she can have as she has problems eating. I cannot comment on activities as she is confined to bed.

Submit a Review for Grevill House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Grevill House

There are no jobs posted yet for Grevill House

Joe

Joe Caine

Joined: 2012

The residents of Grevill House and the clients of the Ashley Intermediate Care Centre are looked after by two highly dedicated teams of over one hundred staff that include nurses, carers, administrators and ancillary staff. The Ashley Intermediate Care Centre provides rehabilitation and enablement for people that are discharged from hospital but who are not quite ready to return home. They are supported by a multidisciplinary team from the local NHS Trust.

Joe Caine has been the manager of Grevill House since July 2012 and has worked for the Trust since 2009. Joe has over 40 years’ experience as a Registered Nurse (adult) and as a Registered Mental Health Nurse. He spent approximately 19 years teaching nurses and was a senior lecturer in mental health nursing. He then went on to work in the independent care sector and worked at both senior management and home level.

Following qualification as a registered mental health nurse he worked as a staff nurse and as a charge nurse in a large Victorian Mental Hospital. During this time he embarked on his teaching career. First qualifying as a clinical nurse teacher and then gaining a certificate in education and progressing to become a registered nurse tutor and then a senior lecturer in mental health nursing.

In addition Joe has studied for an undergraduate degree and a post graduate degree. He possesses A Bsc (Hons) 2:1 degree in Sociology and a Masters Degree in Mental Health Nursing Studies. Joe has maintained his skills and competencies in adult nursing over time whilst working for a nursing agency and working in other care homes. He has worked as an operations manager and also for a brief time as a regional manager with a smaller provider.

Joe sets high standards of conduct and performance for himself and bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to his current role. He is proud of his achievements and is constantly striving to deliver person centred care and in doing so promoting and developing the skills of his team.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Grevill House