Bankwood Care Home, Belper, Derbyshire

Located within a residential area of Duffield, Derbyshire, Bankwood Care Home is a 40 bedded property offering Nursing, Residential, Respite and End of Life.

At Bankwood Care Home Residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have outstanding views across the garden and Derwent valley.

Bankwood chefs pride themselves on knowing the tastes of Residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced Home Managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Izeta Hamza (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Derbyshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 40 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Bankwood Care Home: click here

The user 'Review Score' (9.7 for Bankwood Care Home) is based on 79 reviews. The Review Score is is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user reviews submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user reviews submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Review Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user reviews please click here.

Bankwood Care Home

Unable to be present at the morning entertainment, the choir, but if it was good as the dancing during the afternoon I regret missing it. All the residents present seemed to enjoy the dancing. I myself had two dances which I enjoyed. Overall a complete success.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankwood Care Home? Likely

Bankwood Care Home

Made very welcome on arrival at the home, the staff were very helpful and very good to make my wife feel more settled in the home and secure. No problem with visiting time anytime during the day but try to avoid meal times.

Bankwood Care Home

My mother has now been here since 2010 and is now 100 + years old. I have been visiting on a regular basis and always found the staff with a smile, a word of welcome, very caring and good at what they do. I feel this is the result of having a good leader.

Bankwood Care Home

I was both happy and proud to be a part of Bankwood - care homes open day. There were many activities in the day, the local school children came to play instruments, we had a buffet lunch, which was excellent, and then a ball room dancing demonstration in the afternoon by professional dancers.

Bankwood Care Home

This is the second time Dorothy Harrison has stayed for respite care. The staff have been fantastic towards Dorothy and have been very helpful when I phoned to request things. They have returned my calls , kept me informed as towards Dorothy's welfare. Dorothy has enjoyed the singing, she has eaten well. Dorothy cannot wait to return again. Bankwood is he best nursing home that Dorothy has been in. Thank you for the rest you have given to me and Stewart.

Bankwood Care Home

Dorothy has been in one or two nursing homes and the service has been bad. Bankwood Nursing Home have spent a lot and effort with Dorothy, and every time I have been to visit Dorothy has improved a lot. The home is very friendly, even when I phoned day and night nothing is too much trouble for them. My request for different things have been met too. The nurses and staff have been fantastic, not only to Dorothy but to the other residents. I cannot wait for Dorothy to Bankwood again, because I know her needs will be met, and so we know we can rest and enjoy our respite. I would like to sat a big "Thank You" to all staff.

Bankwood Care Home

My son is being cared for very well in the home. The manager is always thinking of ways to help ways of making my son comfortable and happy. Nothing is to much trouble. The nurses look after him very well, always checking him. He cannot speak but they always seem to know what are his needs, they are very thorough. Also the carers are good at making sure he is clean and turn him when needed in his bed. Check him every hour as he is epileptic. He goes down to the living room twice a day in his wheelchair, hoisted out of bed as he is only able to be out of bed for 2 hours a day. The home always smells clean and staff very friendly. My husband and I would recommend this home to anyone.

Bankwood Care Home

Continued to exceed expectations.
My Mum has been here since 2011. My very positive experience has recently led to me recommending a new resident.

Bankwood Care Home

I would have no hesitation in recommending Bankwood to other families.

Bankwood Care Home

Visiting my mother is always a positive experience. The atmosphere at Bankwood is always the same - friendly and uplifting. The staff are light hearted yet always caring with the residents/patients. The decor is bright and cheerful with linen tablecloths, napkins and flowers everywherel This again adds to the pleasant environment. The food is delicious and residents are always saying how good it is. There is often a glass of wine to complement the meal. My friends are so impressed they say they are "booking" their place there!

Bankwood Care Home

I am delighted with the care that Bankwood provides. Nothing is too much trouble and everyone is very accommodating, e.g today the activities coordinator Michelle took my mother and I to Derby in the homes mini bus and left us for 21/2 hours to enjoy some quality time shopping and having a cream tea. This is an essential service for relatives as I could not get my mother out so often without this excellent support. Thank you to all.

Bankwood Care Home

Mum became a resident here in January 2015, and I cannot fault the care home. The staff are very caring and friendly, they always contact me with updates when mum is seen by the GP, and my mind is at rest knowing she is being looked after.

Bankwood Care Home

Staff always very friendly, respectful and approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankwood Care Home? Likely

Bankwood Care Home

My father required residential care following a long stay in hospital. On enquiring about a place at Bankwood I was invited to visit and was able to ask lots of questions and explain my father's need. I was listened to with patience and understanding. During my father's time in Bankwood, he has been treated with care and respect. He likes all the people who help care for him and enjoys the food. Though small, his room is light and comfortable. Whenever I visit I find all the staff friendly and welcoming. My concerns are listened to with sympathy and respect.

Bankwood Care Home

"I want to stay" myself for lovely pampering. I love this place. The staff are friendly and very accommodating and the food is delicious. Would highly recommend it.

Bankwood Care Home

Bankswood provides a safe environment, giving relations a true peace of mind. The facilities, setting and location are of an extremely good standard.

Bankwood Care Home

I think this place is marvellous, I would recommend it to anyone. It is all clean and pleasant. I enjoy the armchair exercises immensely and take part when I can. I use the hairdresser, manicurist and chiropodist, I think and know the nurses are all very kind and helpful, no one could wish for more if they were ill. My meals are cut up ready for me.

Bankwood Care Home

Friendly, helpful, pleasant. The staff seem to genuinely care. They always adopt a friendly and helpful attitude.

Bankwood Care Home

Accommodation had to be sound following my hip operation as I live alone. I knew of 2 people who had been residents in Bankwood and had good reports. I was lucky to get a room for my respite care. The staff have been excellent coping with my limitations. I have had help with my walking from Michelle and feel more capable to manage at home. A visit from my own G.P was arranged to check for extra drugs.

Bankwood Care Home

I have visited my completely- dependant friend for 4 years. I have no knowledge of the finer points of her care and have nothing to do with the finances, so can only report on my impressions as a visitor. The home itself is welcoming - clean and well decorated, with many personal touches. My friend always looks clean and cared for herself, her hair, her clothes, her bedding. The staff are friendly and patient. The care that my friend receives is far as I can see is gentle an effective.

Bankwood Care Home

An experience when visiting - A warm comfortable home staffed by friendly people who seem to care for residents - rooms seem good - food accordingly to friends "Ron" is good. If I had to be in a care home situation I would think "Bankwood" would be ok.

Bankwood Care Home

We have been pleased with the care mum has received over the 6 months she has been in Bankwood. The staff are always welcoming, cheerful and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. Mum is always clean and comfortable and enjoys the food, which is fresh and varied.

Bankwood Care Home

Mum is very settled and comfortable. The staff are lovely and always chat with a smile. We are kept well informed of her progress and needs. Rooms are rather dark and no views except from terrace.

Bankwood Care Home

My 94 years old mother could no longer look after herself in her own house. She has quickly settle into Bankwood, and the level of care is excellent. The staff are friendly and always helpful, and willing to assist. Mum is very happy, even with her Dementia, is always raising the food, staff and activities programmes.

Bankwood Care Home

I promised my husband of 30 years that he would die in his bed, at home. Physically I was unable for that to happen, though I did try for weeks. His subsequent experiences in hospital were dreadful to see and I think he was too sunk in misery to appreciate his good fortune when we found Bankswood, but I appreciated it. The delightful surroundings, the whole ambience of the home, the pleasant almost happy atmosphere and most of all the loving kindness and care coupled with efficient and perfectly organised treatment- all wonderful! I was happier about Derek at last. May I reserve my place in advance please.

Bankwood Care Home

My mother was a resident of Bankwood until last June when she sadly died. The staff and management have always been so caring and welcoming that I like to come back as a volunteer form time to time as I like to contribute and give something back. I have made friendships with some of the residents so its nice to see them and join in some of the activities with them.

Bankwood Care Home

I have visited my good old friend for the past twelve years. Mostly every Friday. I think the staff are excellent very caring and as a past carer I know the job can be very demanding. The activities are very good. My friend can be hard to please, but seems happy when the activities are happening and she can please herself as she is 103 this coming July.

Bankwood Care Home

My Aunt has had excellent care in the years that she has been here. The staff anticipate her needs and mood. She especially likes the visits of animals and she adores dogs so loves the visits of the "pat" a dog. The family are always made welcome and sometimes join in the activities with our Aunt.

Bankwood Care Home

Bankwood care home is excellent value for money and the staff form the manager, cleaners, cooks etc are all extremely efficient and good at what they do. There is never anything that is too much trouble and the staff go to extra length to satisfy. The home is always clean and warm and the staff have a good sense of humour.

Bankwood Care Home

I have just started to have massages in the village and enjoy going. I enjoy having my hair done by Ellan the hairdresser here, and reflexology and manicures every week by Joy. I enjoy my beauty treatments. Also in the good weather I go to mini shows every Sunday. There is always something happening here, which I like, I like my food choices too very much.

Bankwood Care Home

I came to Bankwood with a service user who has now passed away, but the staff are so welcoming. I came back to help the staff with games and activities from time to time.

Bankwood Care Home

My husband has been living at Bankwood for several years, although his health has deteriorated the care he receives has been and still is very good. The food is excellent (good variety of meals to choose). Michelle and Emma, activities co-ordinators are brilliant, providing lots of things for residents to do and various people coming to entertain. Andy (maintenance) is worth his weight in gold, he can turn his hand to anything. The nurses are really caring and the care assistants are helpful and good at the job. Lastly Issie (the Manager) whenever I have any concerns about Michael she sorts it our and is one of the best in my opinion.

Bankwood Care Home

Overall I am very happy with the standards of care at Bankwood. I think it is one of the best the staff make it so.

Bankwood Care Home

I am very fashion conscious and the girls take great care when dressing me, I like to pick my clothes and scarfs and we have great fun. I join in with the activities and love going out on trips but I don't like the exercise as much as I did when I was younger. I think people would have to go along way to find a home to compete with this one.

Bankwood Care Home

Yes I would recommend the home. I am very impressed it is nice home, people are kind to you.

Bankwood Care Home

I have been to Bankwood 3 times for respite during the past year, each visit I have been overwhelmed by the welcome I have received. The staff have gone out of their way to say welcome back. The care I receive is very personalised, and I am very much at ease with the staff. My every wish is dealt with. The food is brilliant quality, I'm never hungry. I would recommend Bankwood it is second to none. The maintenance man Andy is very prompt with any issues, such a nice responsible man.

Bankwood Care Home

I like living here because it is always safe, and that makes me feel secure. This makes my family happy to see me happy. I go out to the pub and garden centre, they are good trips, we go in the homes minibus, the activities lady drives she also takes me to singing for the brain. The staff are always good and cannot be altered in any way, I have been to other homes, this is the best one out - that is true.

Bankwood Care Home

Over the last 4 years I have found consistently the home to be welcoming, the staff courteous and helpful. They are willing to go a long way to please my mother. I rate it very highly.

Bankwood Care Home

I am an occasional visitor since 2012 and have been impressed by the standard of care afforded to the resident and by the friendliness of all the staff. The attention given to Mrs Schofield at all times has been first rate and could not be bettered in any way.

Bankwood Care Home

The staff are very good, very willing and are very tolerant with dealing with the different levels of illness with residents as some of us are very rude and impatient. I am happy to join in with all physical and mental games.

High Standard of Care
My father was cared for at Bankwood for the last few weeks of his life, we thought that the care he received was of a very high standard. All members of staff were friendly and kind and treated him with respect and dignity. When we visited we were always greeted with smiling faces and made to feel part of the Bankwood family. his room was of a reasonable size and well furnished but it was very dark and the lights needed to be switched on all the time. We felt that this was a compromise well worth making in view of the excellent standard he received. We have no hesitation in recommending this care home highly.

Bankwood Care Home

There is plenty of care and attention. Good choice of food, rooms are clean and the service from the staff is good.

Bankwood Care Home

I would recommend it for lots of reasons, it is very pleasant especially in the conservatory, nice scenery about it.

How likely would you be to recommend Bankwood Care Home? Don't know

Attitude of Staff
What is noticeable about Bankwood is the constant good nature of the staff, however much pressure they are under. They always have a smile and friendly word for all the residents. Likewise they are welcoming to visitors and are always ready to offer help. As with almost all organisations you care to name, this culture is the result of good leadership.

Bankwood Care Home

This is the best care home I have been in and I am grateful to all the staff here for the wonderful care provided for mum. Thank you.

Kind and attentive staff
My mother has been a resident at Bankwood since February of this year having moved from a local care home as her nursing needs changed. Such a change was always going to be a challenge, but all the staff made the transition as smooth as possible. They were considerate and patient. Mum has had a couple of problems with a chest infection during her stay. The staff noticed and dealt with the problem really quickly, which stopped the infection spreading. The nursing team were excellent. The home is going through some ownership changes but I am confident this will not adversely affect the quality of the care - indeed relatives and carers feel increased funding may be made available due to the change - which would be good. Thanks to everyone at Bankwood.

Bankwood Care Home

Very caring, friendly staff.

Bankwood Care Home

My mum is well looked after here and it appears that all her needs are well met. She has been a resident for 2 years and is very settled. My father looks after all the financial affairs and as such my relationship/knowledge of the management etc is limited.

Bankwood Care Home

My mother has been a resident for nearly five years. The care has been consistently good and always resident centred. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and there is always someone to talk if there are any concerns. As a relative I have found my personal support very good with much empathy. There are regular relatives meetings which are also very helpful and give opportunities to meet other in similar situations.

Bankwood Care Home

A very welcoming and caring nursing home. In a delightful location with wonderful views.

Bankwood Care Home

Very good. The home is up to standard.

Bankwood Care Home

Welcoming & friendly. The staff are excellent, without exception. Resident's are very well cared for which is reassuring for relatives.

Bankwood Care Home

I am settling in well, the surroundings of the home are very relaxing and calming, you cannot do better.

Bankwood Care Home

My father has been resident here for 7 months and is very happy and settled, lots of friends and activities, beautiful views, very good staff and a real home atmosphere. Food is excellent and dad has put lots of weight on. Highly recommend.

Bankwood Care Home

Its very good. You can go out in the minibus.

Bankwood Care Home

I recommend this home. Nice and clean and very well looked after.

Bankwood Care Home

I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff at Bankwood, Duffield for making it possible for my husband to attend our daughter's graduation in Birmingham. My husband had to be up etc, looking very smart, having been fed before 7.30 am and medication sorted. Due to the excellent care he receives, it made this day possible, which we never thought the family would share. Thank you so much.

Bankwood Care Home

Welcoming, clean, residents come FIRST.

Bankwood Care Home

My husband was looked after with much care and kindness whilst a resident at Bankwood Nursing Home. I would also like to say that as a visitor I was also looked after at a very difficult time with plenty of support, kindness and cups of tea!

Bankwood Care Home

Bankwood provided the level of care required, with professional at hand 24/7. My friend has Parkinson's and needs assistance of this nature. Whilst the care home is on three levels, this is not a serious issue as there are two lifts. The quality of care is excellent.

Bankwood Care Home

I was very impressed by the care my Aunt received at Bankwood. All the members of staff appeared to be well trained and well managed. My Aunt was treated at all times with care and dignity.

Bankwood Care Home

We were only there for an afternoon, but there seemed to be a good atmosphere about the place, the residents appeared well cared for, and the staff were attentive to their needs.We hear from our cousin that she is well satisfied with her accommodation.

Bankwood Care Home

My mother has been living at Bankwood Care Home in Duffield for over two months now. All the staff have been very considerate and caring and have made the transition from a local Care Home to an alternative local Nursing home as problem free as possible. The location is perfect. The rooms very comfortable and the level of care and nursing support is excellent. Thank you to Izzey and her hard working team.

Bankwood Care Home

Well managed, friendly helpful staff, nice feel on entering, good activities and attractive sitting areas.

Bankwood Care Home

I am 100% satisfied with the home. All staff are friendly, helpful and carry out any request eg Michelle takes my mother out in the mini-bus as I asked her to try and take her out. She is the activities co-ordinator. I wanted my mother to attempt walking more and all staff now encourage her to use a Zimmer frame to stand and walk from chair to wheel chair. I also asked them to seat her with people who are more communicative and again this was dealt with immediately. These are small examples of the excellent care.

Bankwood Care Home

We arranged a 90th birthday party in the activities room at Bankwood for Claudia, we were given every assistance by the staff but particularly by Michelle, to ensure the event went well, decorating the room, providing crockery, baking a cake, supplying tea and coffee etc. All of us enjoyed it but most importantly, it gave Claudia a great boost. She's always been happy with her care and never had any complaints but this event especially lifted her spirits.

Bankwood Care Home

My father spent nearly 4 months in Bankwood following a bad fall that meant he could no longer be cared for at home up to his recent death. During this time, it is impossible to have a bad word for Bankwood. The staff have been excellent, caring, friendly professionals and my father has been well looked after. His illness meant that he was not an easy client, but Izzie and team worked hard to ensure that he and the staff's requirements were met, you can't fault the views across the valley too!

Bankwood Care Home

My room is now not just a room but my home now. I am very happy, I would recommend Bankwood.

Bankwood Care Home

My mother has been a resident in Bankwood for about 1 1/2 years and both my brother and myself have been very pleased with the standard of care. The staff are very caring and always make me feel welcome when I visit. If something is wrong with my mum they keep me informed and do what they can to put things right again.

Bankwood Care Home

Very high level of care and kindness provided.

Bankwood Care Home

the staff were very welcoming. The food is good and they accommodate to your needs. the rooms are very good also.

Bankwood Care Home

We find that the care home provides excellent service and the staff very caring and friendly.

Bankwood Care Home

I would recommend this nursing home to anybody because of the high standard of carers and nursing ability.

Bankwood Care Home

A well managed home with care that revolves around individual needs, lots of stimulation and stable, loving staff.

Bankwood Care Home

We were very happy with the service at Bankwood. Staff never failed to be friendly, kind and helpful. We spent a lot of time there during our mother's stay of only four weeks and we were always welcomed and comforted (with numerous cups of tea and coffee). We felt secure in the fact our mother would be cared for and she was, with great kindness and compassion. It was the first time she had felt safe in a long time.

Bankwood Care Home

My time in Bankwood has been very good. I have no complaints. I have tried some of the services provided i.e. hairdresser, entirely happy . Very satisfactory - she was not ( ) at all. The chiropodist was good too.

Bankwood Care Home

Full service with experienced staff. Roomy establishment and accommodates activities.

Bankwood Care Home

It would be hard to find a better place, very good. You can do what you like.

Bankwood Care Home

Meal portions too big. Some meals have too much seasoning.

Bankwood Care Home

The staff are really friendly in the nicest possible way. I have more stuff here than I had at home.

Bankwood Care Home

I have been attending Bankwood every 8 weeks for 8 years and have been impressed with the care and dedication of the staff to residents. I have recommended the home to others many times and believe it to be one of the best I have visited. A lot of energy is expended by the staff to ensure the resident’s needs are met. I have heard very few complaints from either residents or relatives.

Bankwood Care Home

My father received end of life care at Bankwood and sadly was only there for two weeks but in that short time he was looked after wonderfully by the staff. The atmosphere was so friendly; visitors were welcomed anytime and never made to feel in the way. I would not hesitate in recommending Bankwood. Izzy the manager and all her staff were amazing. Thanks so much to all of you.

Bankwood Care Home

My mother stayed at Bankwood for end of life care, just 13 days but whilst there she was cared for with the utmost care and respect. The staff were lovely to both my mother and my three sisters. I would recommend Bankwood as an excellent care home.

Bankwood Care Home

Even though mum was only at Bankwood for such a short time, having transferred from hospital after suffering a stroke several weeks earlier, she looked more healthy and restful than she had in a long time. We felt we couldn't have chosen a better home for mum. The care, compassion,and dignity that the staff and management showed mum and us was second to none. Thank you all so very much.

Bankwood Care Home

I have been taking my sister to visit her husband at the home recently, we both found the staff very helpful and friendly. If we had any questions, they were answered well and sympathetically. The home was clean and well run. My sister and I have had occasion to visit other homes and this one has impressed us very favourably.

Bankwood Care Home

My wife went to Bankwood at the end of her, sadly short (she was 61) life for end of life care. We picked Bankwood because, although the building itself is not purpose built and doesn't give a terrific first impression, the staff are just amazing. It also comes under the Appletree medical practice in Duffield where we have been patients for several years, a practice with which we have always felt happy. We were shown round by Izzie, the manager, and she is really caring. At first I though it might be just salesmanship but it wasn't, Izzie really does care about her residents. That care for those in their charge extends right through the organisation though the nurses, care assistants, kitchen staff, cleaners even to Andy the handyman. The care they showed my wife was exemplary. Towards the end she was needing a lot of the nurse's time but it was never begrudged and I felt included in the decisions about her. Without going into graphic detail, the carers showed the same concern. Even when it turned out that they were wasting their time, again, it was never begrudged. You hear such nightmare tales about these places, but from my observation, Bankwood is a wonderful place. We could not have picked a better place for my wife’s last few weeks.

Submit a Review for Bankwood Care Home

April 2014

2014 Carehome.co.uk Awards

Recipient: Bankwood Care Home

Date: Friday 04 Apr 2014

February 2014

There are no jobs posted yet for Bankwood Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bankwood Care Home