Bryn Celyn, Maesteg, Bridgend

Bryn Celyn is a popular, purpose-built care home in Maesteg owned by leading care provider Hallmark Care Homes.

The home is tastefully decorated to create a warm and homely environment for the residents, while the compassionate care team provide the highest standard of relationship-centred care.

Outside, the home has a beautiful interactive garden which is designed to encourage residents to continue to live and active and independent lifestyle. The 'Good Life' garden features an outdoor cooking station, vegetable patch, green house, and even the home's very own pet chickens.

Group: Hallmark Care Homes

Person in charge: Mary Richard (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Bridgend County Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 56 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: No Smokers. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Welsh

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Sheltered Housing • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care & Social Services Inspectorate* Report on Bryn Celyn: click here

* Care & Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

posted 24 May 2016

Please contact the home for current vacancies

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Bryn Celyn is based on 16 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.052 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.516 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.536 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.052 for Bryn Celyn is based on 16 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.516 for Bryn Celyn is calculated as follows: ( (108 Excellents x 5) + (39 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) + (9 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 161 Ratings = 4.516

The Quantity Score of 4.536 for Bryn Celyn is calculated as follows:

I spent several weeks, looking at different homes for my mum. That's difficult enough when you realise that you are no longer able to give your parent the care she needs. This home ticks all of the boxes - I looked and thought, would I be happy here, the answer is yes.

The staff have a lot of compassion and empathy for the residents, it's odour free, very clean, the food is excellent as I have spent a few afternoons having lunch with my mum. As for the new manageress - what a lovely lady, and very approachable. I can't commend her enough. She has gained my respect, well suited to her position, with her warm, welcoming smile, she takes the time to listen to you, and that is very important. My mother is safe, happy and that is very important to me and all the other relatives.

How likely would you be to recommend Bryn Celyn? Extremely Likely

Bryn Celyn has opted for the comment and ratings of this review not to be displayed on the grounds that they believe the comments/ratings are unfair, but the ratings of the review still count towards the overall Review Score. (This option of not displaying the comment and ratings of a review ceased to be available to care providers after 11th February 2016.)

My sister goes into respite care several times a year, and over the last 15 years has been to quite a few residential nursing homes. Some are good, some are awful. However being given the opportunity to receive respite at Bryn Celyn in Maesteg has been the magical answer for us all. When we take my sister into the home we are all greeted with smiles from everyone we see, and they all make a big fuss of her never failing to call her by name and treating her like a family member. The care she receives is A1, her room is lovely, the main lounge is light, bright and very spacious (people are not sitting in a circle and right up next to each other), clients are encouraged to take part in quizzes etc and the food is excellent. This all makes for peace of mind for me to leave my sister there knowing she will be well looked after in a very well run home, with very friendly and exceptional caring staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Bryn Celyn? Extremely Likely

Our mother is well looked after by excellent caring staff. She suffers from Dementia and she was in very poor condition after being discharged from hospital - her condition has improved immensely since she has in Bryn Cellyn and she is as happy as we can hope for considering her quite severe problems. She likes the food and the staff always have a kind word and a smile for her. The management are also good, caring and compassionate people.

How likely would you be to recommend Bryn Celyn? Likely

It's good here at Bryn Celyn, but however good everyone is here. it sill is not the same as home. I appreciate everything that is done for me and I need so much help these days. There are plenty of things going on in the home, enough to keep us entertained most days. The carers and nurses are very good to me, so a big thank you to them all.

As a result of loosing he head of the humerus in each of my hips, my future is now confined to bed hoist and chair. Living alone became impossible and so I have been cared for by the "girls" of Bryn Celyn since.
My needs have been met in every way with both jollity and dignity, despite their workloads and it has been comforting to my relatives (who have their own commitments to know that my security is provided by my "buzzer" 25/7. Who could want for more.

How likely would you be to recommend Bryn Celyn? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Bryn Celyn for 7 years and is very happy. She has a great relationship with all the carers. Highly recommended.

Friendly, comfortable staff are caring and the food is very good. Lots of entertainment provided.

When my husband died I was left alone in a fairly large house and had to have hip replacement. I looked for a care home and found Bryn Celyn.

Friendly and caring staff, good food comfortable clean rooms.

My mother transferred to Bryn Celyn after several months in hospital care. She has been here a short while and seems to have been transformed! mam is awake, prefers to engage in conversation enjoys the interaction with all the staff who meet her. The staff here go out of their way to make visiting members of the family welcome and this is refreshing. I am so pleased that my mother has access to activities which I never thought possible despite her dementia she is now part of a caring community I am grateful for the support and care she receives.

I have been a resident here for six years and in that time I haven't heard a cross word spoken. The staff here are outstanding and very caring and kind.

Nice friendly place and friendly staff from what we have seen whilst here.

A real home from home. Excellent all round. Looking forward to living in Bryn Celyn when the time comes. Better than a first class hotel.

Came for respite and liked it so much that I never went home.

This home is very welcoming and feels just like home. Would recommend it to anyone.

Submit a Review for Bryn Celyn

Date: Friday 25 Oct 2013

Outstanding Service

Date: Friday 25 Oct 2013

Bank Care Assistant

Competitive (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)
Maesteg, Bridgend

Mary

Mary Richard

Joined: 2014

I’m the General Manager at Bryn Celyn where I oversee the day to day running of the home. I qualified as a nurse back in 1996 and have worked in the health industry for 18 years. I have an MSc in Healthcare Management and have held managerial roles since 2007. We are proud to be leading the way for care and have a passionate team that put our residents’ happiness at the heart of everything we do.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bryn Celyn