Fees Advice From Saga
Shire Hall Care Home, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, Cardiff
Shire Hall Care Home
Shire Hall Care Home

Tel: 029 2053 7800

Shire Hall Care Home is just a short walk from Cardiff Bay. Facilities at the purpose-built home include a cinema, reception cafe area, and a farmhouse kitchen - designed to promote active and independent living.

Shire Hall provides the highest standards of residential, nursing, dementia, transitional and palliative care. The care team provide relationship-centred care, placing the needs of the individual at the very centre of what they do.

Did you know? Shire Hall is a Dementia Care Matters 'Butterfly Service' - an accreditation which recognises excellence in dementia care.

Owner: Hallmark Care Homes

Person in charge: Karen Grapes (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cardiff Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 98 residents

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken (other than English): Welsh

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care & Social Services Inspectorate* Report on Shire Hall Care Home: click here

* Care & Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Shire Hall Care Home

Care Training Manager finalist

Best Care Team finalist

Dementia Care finalist

Date: Friday 25 Nov 2011

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.9 for Shire Hall Care Home) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 6 February 2014 by Maureen F (Visiting family member)

Have joined in on many activities.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 29 January 2014 by Chris Webb (Wife of resident)

My husband's home has been Shire Hall for the past six months. Since day 1 we have both been treated with the utmost respect and understanding. My husband's life is now full of opportunity to make new friends, continue hobbies and even try some new ones, all in a safe,encouraging environment. I still feel very guilty about not being able to look after my husband at home and the staff always find the time to cheer me up too. I truly owe so many of them so much I don't know how I would have got through this emotional time without such genuine support. Thanks to everyone of you I know my husband is in safe, caring hands and that truly makes the difference between a good home and a very special one.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 16 January 2014 by Michael Wood (Son of resident)

My mother has been resident here now for three months and I cannot find anything to criticise. She requires full nursing care and everything is here for her. All the staff are lovely. Thoroughly recommended.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Friday 10 January 2014 by Sian Ingle (Daughter of resident)

My father arrived at Shire Hall in the summer of 2013 and for the first time in ages my sister and I plus family were able to holiday together without any concerns for dad. We were recommended this care home by the manager of a one-to-one care agency from whom dad received 24/7 care. When the time came to transfer to a Residential Care Home my sister and I were most discerning as to what we expected and I can promise you - we were not disappointed. My father was able to bring his double bed and most of his furniture including his own arm chair. The wonderful handyman, Steve, put up all dad's pictures and family photographs and we were helped with labelling dad's clothes (which I had not even thought of!). The mixture between efficiency and support and caring is superlative. All appropriate paperwork that needed to be filled in and information that the Home required was discussed in a calm and measured way over a cup of tea and with very little stress. I have two children and deciding upon a nursery for my son 18 years ago and choosing a place for my dad last year - I followed the same "gut feeling" which I have always relied upon and which has never let me down. From the moment I entered Shire Hall I was welcomed by the wonderfully friendly and informative office administrator, Lyn, sitting on reception – and seeing the domestic workers about the place with an efficient and friendly demeanour - I just KNEW that this would be the right place for dad before I had ventured further than the reception area! My sister and I are very demanding in what we expect of a care home for dad as our father has been such a good and caring man all his life until he had a heart attack and then was struck down with Alzheimer's shortly after. The staff at Shire Hall is well trained in this type of specialist care. My sister and I both live in London, so although we are not involved in the minutiae of day to day care we are - nonetheless - informed about meetings that the psychiatric team, GP or memory clinic team have had regarding dad and brought up to date in a timely manner. I cannot recommend this care home enough. It goes without saying that the place is spotless and that the carers are well trained, but it is the kindness and respect of the staff whether carers or domestic staff (cleaners, laundry staff, handymen) that most impresses me. In my profession as a midwife I am used to caring for people but as I tell my students, kindness and compassion cannot be taught. Our father is treated with dignity and with kindness and endless patience. Thank you Shire Hall and Hallmark for providing such an excellent and worthwhile service.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 8 January 2014 by John E (Nephew of Resident)

All the staff from reception, management, care workers etc are very pleasant and welcoming. Feel that my aunt is safe and well cared for. I would certainly recommend the home to anyone contemplating becoming a resident.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 8 January 2014 by Eluned Evans (Niece of Resident)

Would recommend this care home as our aunt is being treated with dignity and has settled really well even though she has dementia, the surroundings are very inviting and we were made most welcome. Our queries are dealt with great understanding.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 8 January 2014 by Katrina Cox (Partner)

My partner same to Shire Hall after a stroke, it was decided that he needed to be here as the care that they provide for him I could never supply at home, this has proved to be so true. The home has given my partner top quality care looking after all his needs. We have become so grateful and we treat the home as our home, I say our home because they show me the same care. Thanks all.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 11 December 2013 by Rosemarie Saintclaire (Daughter of past resident)

Hello, I am so glad you are reading this. I know first hand how hard and very emotional it is when your loved one needs to go into a care home. You realise due to their age / illness so much more care and attention is now needed, and you are unable to provide this for them. You do not have to worry... My mother Louisa spent her last months in Shire Hall, and was 86 when she passed away. Mum was suffering from both lung cancer and dementia, the dementia was the bigger problem, often leaving mum confused. I spent lots of time with my mum on a daily basis, and would be offered refreshments through my stay. I was able to see how well every one is cared for, every single question directed from a resident to a carer is responded to, nothing seems to be any trouble at all. Some residents need a little TLC and this is available even during busy times. Respect for the residents is so even, and the understanding and patience needed for dementia sufferers. The staff are happy and upbeat, and really do enjoy their work. The rooms at Shire Hall are all beautifully decorated and furnished, but it doesn't stop there. My mum had her own ideas on how her room should look, within days the management redecorated her room in her favourite colour! And we were encouraged to bring any of mum's possessions into her room. I brought her TV, nest of coffee tables, curtains, scatter cushions, personal quilt and bedding, pictures, paintings, table lamp, and a huge Indian rug. Suddenly her room looked just like her own living room back home. It was perfect for her, and gave mum the continuity so important to dementia sufferers. All the staff at Shire Hall are the best you could wish for.......

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 10 December 2013 by Carol J (Private carer to resident)

Excellent facility. Staff very helpful and obliging. Our client very much enjoys her stay. Overall the rooms are very clean and tidy as is the rest of the building. Also activities very good.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 4 December 2013 by Robert G (Son of resident)

Shire Hall offers a caring and pleasant environment in which you can safely leave your loved one. The decor is bright and fresh and the staff are approachable and friendly. The needs of their guests are met with empathy and understanding.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 26 November 2013 by Sian Wynn Thomas (Daughter of resident)

My mother has been in Shire Hall since August. She suffers from dementia. During the last months in Shire Hall she has become more settled and contented. The staff are very caring and as family we feel always welcomed. The facilities are excellent and everyone is happy with a smile on their faces. I would recommend this care home to anyone. It is an excellent example of how things should be done.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 25 November 2013 by Marian Q (Daughter of Resident)

Very happy with everything at the home.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 14 November 2013 by Julian Ashton (Partner)

Safe, secure, friendly, comfortable. Great staff.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 23 October 2013 by Rosemarie Saintclaire (Daughter of resident)

My 85 year old mum came to Shire Hall for a week's "holiday". But within a couple of days she had decided to stay! For the first time in many years my mum was now stress free, no worries about her health, the cooking, cleaning, washing or ironing any more. The wonderful staff are always available to help in any way, and will also find time to socialise with her. Comfort and care is the priority of all the staff. Due to my mum's failing health, I spend many hours at Shire Hall. I have been moved many times by what I have witnessed, the interaction between the staff and residents can take your breath away. Taking care of the elderly needs a lot of patients and love, both of these qualities can be found in abundance at Shire Hall. Each member of staff is known by their first name and that includes the Manager ! There is something in Shire Hall that money can not buy, come and see for yourself...

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 17 October 2013 by Suzanne Perrs (Carer of resident)

Very clean, modern facilities. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Good range of activities for residents. Good menu and variety of foods.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 17 October 2013 by Marji F (Friend of client)

Lesley has stayed in many care homes in the past, Shire Hall has provided her with the superb care sadly lacking in other homes. She was happy and confident and well looked after and always looking forward to returning.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 12 August 2013 by P. P (Daughter and POA for Resident)

This is an excellent care home which I wholeheartedly recommend. My mother has been on an EMI floor and is now on a nursing floor. The staff have been very good on both and activities are arranged to encompass all floors. There is a small cinema, a small hair salon and concerts are held regularly. My brother and I are very pleased that Mum is living in such an excellent place.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 12 August 2013 by S. James (Daughter of Resident)

I count my blessings that I discovered Shire Hall Care Home when my mother developed alzheimers and could no longer look after herself. In Shire Hall, every day is Hug Day. The staff are so caring that my mother is always smiling. Sonia is so full of energy and compassion. She amazed me by signing karaoke and dancing for two hours She touched the resident's faces or arms to involve them and sang to each one. Jeanie encouraged the residents to do simple exercises and told them jokes. My mother no longer understands any of the jokes but when others start to laugh, she joins in and is so happy at the end of a session.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 4 July 2013 by Connie T (Resident)

Staff are very good, no complaints.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 4 July 2013 by Sharon M (Daughter of resident)

My mother is very well cared for at Shir Hall. She is always clean and enjoys her food. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. The leisure activities are appropriate for the age of the residents. Her health is monitored and I am always kept informed. All areas are kept clean and tidy and are pleasant to sit in.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 4 July 2013 by Janice Hill (Granddaughter of resident)

The staff are very kind and caring and have a lovely manner with the residents.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 24 June 2013 by Kevin Parkins (Son)

All staff caring and professional.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 19 June 2013 by Lynda R (Daughter of Resident)

Dad's health suddenly deteriorated a week before I was due to go on holiday. Shire Hall agreed respite care for 10 days with only 24hrs notice. As soon as I walked into Shire Hall I was amazed by its welcome, with all the staff and managers that greeted me and dad and how clean and homely everything felt. Dad's room was superb it was like I was leaving him in a 5* hotel. It was Dad's first time in respite and he never asked to come home once. I asked him as we were leaving if he'd been looked after and he said "extensively."

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 19 June 2013 by Neal P (Grandson of resident)

Very friendly and knowledge staff. The care is 1st class. Very clean establishment and a great variety of activities for residents.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 19 June 2013 by Alys Parkins (Granddaughter of resident)

An excellent care home which I would recommend to anyone who wants their relative to be looked after with kindness, dignity and professionalism.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 19 June 2013 by Nigel Draper (Son of resident)

The services provided are exemplary and staff go beyond the call.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 19 June 2013 by Nadine Thomas (Granddaughter of resident)

My grandad has enjoyed his time at Shire Hall. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the facilities are clean and tidy. I love the garden, its pretty and full of colourful things to look at. The cinema, beauty salon and therapy rooms are all nice touches to help make the residents feel at home. Its a welcoming environment with a lot of smiling, happy faces.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 11 June 2013 by Caroline D (Visitor)

Warm welcome. Room standards excellent.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 11 June 2013 by Mave H (Friend of Resident)

The resident I visit in Shire Hall has settled in well, having had to come to terms with giving up her home very suddenly after a minor stroke. Before that, she had cooked, cleaned, gardened, shopped and I'm sure the care and company of the staff at Shire Hall has helped very much in this painful transition.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 10 June 2013 by John C (Resident)

The people who work here are extremely caring and kind it is a wonderful environment.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 10 June 2013 by Denise Thomas (Cousin of resident)

Great staff, lovely food, very caring, clean always. Someone around to talk to about any problems.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Friday 7 June 2013 by Anthony M (Husband of resident)

A very professional team of staff have really made my wife's life so much better, she's improved so much since being at Shire Hall. The staff take care of all their residents and everyday something different takes place with the homes activities. Could not have wished for a better home.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 29 May 2013 by Michael C (Son of resident)

Premises are well designed and pleasant. Good activities programme. Most of all, staff are caring and positive.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 28 May 2013 by Victoria D (Daughter of resident)

My mother is a younger aged resident and she is treated as a well loved friend. The staff are very caring and always accommodate our needs and wishes. My mother has made wonderful progress recently and enjoys the many activities and friendly atmosphere.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 28 May 2013 by Marian T (Friend of Resident)

My friend needed care and her family placed her in Shire Hall. I was delighted with the care she received and how well she has accepted having to give up her own home. The staff are always friendly and caring, doing more than is expected of them.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Friday 24 May 2013 by Margaret M (Daughter of Resident)

On looking for homes for our mum we looked at a lot of homes in the Cardiff area. We at last came to Shire and at last found a home that had all we needed for our mum.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 21 May 2013 by Syrena Townsend (Friend)

I visit Shire Hall and the staff are always happy and welcoming, it's clean and very elegant, I would recommend friends and family to this care home.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 21 May 2013 by Susan Harding (Dad)

Every time we visit the staff are always happy and friendly always helping you with anything you need.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 16 May 2013 by Joan C (Friend of resident)

Two minutes from Cardiff city centre, a loving and caring staff awaits at Shire Hall.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 15 May 2013 by Margaret Price (Daughter of resident)

Our mother has settled very happily and has formed excellent relationships with the wonderful staff. All relations who have visited her have been most impressed by the spacious rooms and excellent welcome. The cleanliness is a big recommendation.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 9 May 2013 by Richard Parton (Son of resident)

Clean everywhere, staff will do anything they can to help one, and the patients are treated with love and kindness.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 9 May 2013 by Alex C (Great-grandaughter of resident)

Brilliant staff, decorated lovely, all round beautiful place.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 9 May 2013 by Pearl H (Friend of resident)

Very good in every way.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 9 May 2013 by Jeffrey A (Son of resident)

Mother seems happy, clean and contented.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 8 May 2013 by Elaine Paul (Niece of resident)

All the staff at Shire Hall always go that extra mile to ensure my uncle and us as a family are made to feel at home.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 29 April 2013 by Hayden W (Nephew of resident)

A very clean and happy home from home. Keep up the good work!

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Friday 26 April 2013 by Peter J (Son of two residents)

My parents became residents in October 2012 and from day one, the care, consideration and respect for them has been exemplary. The care home is well maintained, managed and is friendly.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Friday 26 April 2013 by Malvina Reardon (Friend)

Staff are excellent and very friendly lots of activities for residents.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 25 April 2013 by Patricia W (Neice of Resident)

A very nice place to be.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 25 April 2013 by Jonothan L (Son of resident)

My father has been at Shire Hall for temporary respite and from the moment we first visited the care home we have been impressed with the standards of care, and everything involved. I cannot think of anything negative to say. We will have no hesitations in recommending Shire Hall to others.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 25 April 2013 by Sharon E (Daughter of resident)

I am a regular at Shire Hall care home and every time I visit I am made to feel very welcome. The staff are all pleasant,they help and care so much for all the residents. My mother is constantly singing, which to me means she is very happy and that in turn makes me very happy. I also think that being able to have lunch with her is a wonderful idea. Shire Hall in one big happy family and I will be sad the day my mother has to leave.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 25 April 2013 by Patricia P (Friend)

You provide good service and it's very homely.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 25 April 2013 by Derek Morgan (Friend of resident)

Clean, friendly and capable.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 25 April 2013 by Brian Steer (Son-in-law of resident)

My wife and I had lunch today with my mother-in-law, Marilyn Eley, and it was excellent. I cannot praise all the staff at Shire Hall enough for their outstanding work. All at Shire Hall are very helpful and pleasant. It was lovely to see my mother-in-law so happy. Keep up the good work.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 23 April 2013 by Les D (Friend of Resident)

My friend Robert is very happy here and is settled here. I am very happy with his care.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Friday 19 April 2013 by William Rogers (Son)

Very friendly and caring staff, bright and cheerful environment.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Thursday 18 April 2013 by Pam E (Daughter of resident)

They provided a high standard of care whilst my father was there and now care for my mother to the highest possible level. There is always plenty of opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities and we are always kept up to date with her situation and are always made welcome when we visit.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 17 April 2013 by Patricia Thomas (Father was a resident)

My father was a resident at this home for almost a year. Having finally come to realise that a residential home was necessary for my father, it was the most difficult decision my mother and close family ever had to make. Having heard such horror stories both In the press and by word of mouth, we were extremely concerned about what the future would hold for my dad as he had dementia. However, having visited the home with my dad it was obvious from our first visit that the calmness and friendly welcoming we received was to live up to our expectations and more. As a family, especially my mum, we never had a moment's concern during the year he was there. He was looked after just as my mum would have looked after him at home. No one could expect more from a care home. All his needs were met from the time he woke in the morning till the time he went to bed. He was made to feel at home and all the staff gave him the utmost care and attention at all times even though because of his condition, he could be quite difficult at times. I have no hesitation in recommending this home to anyone considering a place for their loved one. I only hope that when my time comes I will be fortunate enough to find one just like this.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 17 April 2013 by Barbara Wilkins (Sister-in-law of resident)

My brother-in-law was in Shire Hall for nearly two years - the way he was treated and looked after was excellent. They really care.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Wednesday 17 April 2013 by John Wilkins (Brother-in-Law)

My brother-in-Law has been in Shire Hall for just under two years. Every morning I used to go and feed him for 9am Breakfast. The staff, food and building are all to a high standard and I have nothing bur praise for the care home.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Tuesday 16 April 2013 by Margaret Bloomfield (Friend of resident)

I visit a friend every week in Shire Hall and have found the attention and care to be excellent.

Review of Shire Hall Care Home on Monday 15 April 2013 by Godfrey Parton (Son of resident)

The care within this home is excellent, nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff, from cleaners to management. The rooms are kept spotless, and considering the residents they have, it is remarkable.

Submit a Recommendation for Shire Hall Care Home

Please note this form is only for Recommendations & User Ratings. All submissions are verified by our team of editors, and we will contact you if further details are required. Fields marked in red are required

(Please do no enter spaces)

I certify that this recommendation & rating is my genuine opinion of Shire Hall Care Home and in submitting it I agree to the terms of website use (carehome.co.uk/terms), which I have read and fully understand.

There are no jobs posted yet for Shire Hall Care Home

Care Home Idol 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Shire Hall Care Home