Greyfriars Care Centre, Glasgow, Glasgow City

Greyfriars Care Centre is a purpose built care home situated in a quiet but very convenient area of Mount Vernon on the eastern outskirts of Glasgow. The home is conveniently located on a main bus route within easy reach of Glasgow City Centre.

The Care Centre specialises in a range of care for elderly nursing clients. Greyfriars has a dedicated, multi skilled nursing team who work with a person centred approach, adapting to residents' needs. The team ensure that Greyfriars is a happy, welcoming and homely environment for all residents.

Day space consists of one spacious lounge and one dining room. All bedrooms are single occupancy with ensuite facilities and are located on three floors, with passenger lift access to the second and third floors.

All client rooms and communal areas are fitted with a call bell system so that staff assistance can be obtained quickly and easily.

Greyfriars has two secure garden areas where residents can walk, sit with visitors or do a little gardening.

The Care Centre has an Activities Organiser who provides a range of activities to residents to promote stimulation and wellbeing and to ensure their support needs are met. There is a varied and extensive weekly activities programme, which includes a local, popular entertainer who provides musical entertainment for residents.

The catering team are very flexible in accommodating resident's dietary needs and are committed to delivering high quality home cooking using local produce.

Greyfriars Care Centre is passionate about client care; the dedicated management and staff ensure that Greyfriars is a home from home for all residents.

Group: Canterbury Care

Person in charge: Gillian Aitchison (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Glasgow City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 26 residents

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Independent Living Training • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

The user Review Score of 9.8 for Greyfriars Care Centre is based on 15 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.817 is made up of 4.817 Points relating to the ratings and 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

My father has been a resident in Greyfriars care home since 4th September 2015. Dad has settled in and seems very happy. The staff are lovely and very approachable.
I see a difference in our dad he has company and interacts with staff and other residents. Dad has a lovely bright spacious room and we have taken his own recliner chair from Home.
There was a manager in place when dad arrived in the home, she left the day dad arrived.
As far as I know there is no manager at present.

How likely would you be to recommend Greyfriars Care Centre? Extremely LIKELY

Management: Poor

Gillian Aitchison, Home Manager at Greyfriars Care Centre responded to this review on 18 Nov 2015:

Hello and thank you for your review of our service. The management of the home changed on the 5th of September 2015. Hopefully, if you visit us now, you will see a huge difference in how the care home is managed and the changes that have taken place. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

I could not ask for anything better. I have been well looked after whilst being in for respite for the last three plus weeks. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

Very nice home and very nice staff and residents.

Very high level of care I am very happy where I am. I also enjoy the company and the staff.

Excellent care given to my auntie. They go above and beyond to care for her and ensure she has a excellent quality of life. I can't recommend the staff enough and will always be grateful to them.

The staff and management at this home could have done no more for Aunty Cathy if she had been their own Aunt.
Fantastic People, thank you so much for looking after her and us
Her room was a real home from home

Anytime I have been to Greyfriars Care Centre the staff and management have been fantastic and helpful. There is a lovely happy feel to the place. The residents are very well cared for and the environment is exceptionally clean.

For many years my mother has been residing at Greyfriars Care Home and I can honestly say she is thriving and flourishing as a direct result if the tremendous care and attention she is given. The staff under the direction of Yvonne are dedicated, flexible are patient. I personally live overseas so it is even more important that I know my mum is supported well. My mum has had some challenges in life and at times can be cranky but this is never a problem to the team at Greyfriars and their handling if sensitive and private issues is exemplary eg. My son's adopted son who reconnected with us. My mother in law often liaises with the team on my behalf and is always commenting on how helpful and professional they are nothing is too much trouble. Recently her son requested that mum consider moving to be nearer him and mum was adamant that she adores Greyfriars and under no circumstances she would relocate which is testament to the amazing care they provide. I personally rely on them and they are outstanding to my mother and all the other residents. I hope when I am old I can live in such a lovely setting. Thank you for caring and supporting our mum. Ursula Murray in Australia

The staff of Greyfriars Care Home are compassionate, supportive and treat every resident under their care with dignity. Whilst my grandmother was a resident in the centre, myself and my family were always made to feel welcome. Care was made to cater for individual concerns such as dietary requirements. In particular, the support of all of Greyfriars' staff allowed my grandmother to be as comfortable as possible during the last part of her life.

Excellent care.

Staff are friendly, always made to feel welcome by them. The manager is approachable and the residents are well looked after.

I would recommend Greyfriars as we have always found my mother is well looked after. The staff are always helpful and keep me in touch with everything that is going on.

I think Greyfriars is a lovely care home. The staff are lovely and would recommend it to others.

Submit a Review for Greyfriars Care Centre