Orchar Nursing Home, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Angus
Orchar Nursing Home
Orchar Nursing Home

Orchar Nursing Home is a luxurious, modern and tastefully decorated nursing home, providing high quality nursing and care to its residents.

Its superb location on the beautiful, picturesque waterfront of Broughty Ferry, Dundee, commands magnificent views of the River Tay and Broughty Castle. Shops, restaurants, bus stops and other amenities are all within a few minutes’ walk.

Orchar is registered with the Care Commission to accommodate 40 residents in 38 bedrooms, all en-suite and fully equipped. Most bedrooms boast en-suite wet floor shower rooms. All rooms are single-occupancy but many can also suitably cater for couples.

Our spacious, well-appointed dining room, two comfortable, plush lounges and the garden sitting area all overlook the breathtaking, panoramic view. Residents are also welcome to take advantage of a quiet sitting corner, the hairdressing salon, two passenger lifts and off-street parking with level-access.

The appetising, tasty and nutritious menu at Orchar provides our residents with a healthy and varied diet. Specific dietary requirements and residents’ preferences are catered for. Meals are served in our elegant dining room, but residents can dine in their own rooms if they wish.

The dedication and devotion of our highly- trained staff has established our reputation as an exceptionally ‘friendly and caring Home’. Carers and qualified nurses are on duty twenty four hours a day. Our residents’ quality of life is greatly enhanced by the comfortable, warm and safe environment that Orchar provides.

Our residents’ happiness and serenity is of paramount importance. Care programmes and activities at Orchar are designed accordingly, to support individuality and independence. Each resident is encouraged to exercise choice in all aspects of their care. With our open visiting policy, guests are most welcome at all times.

We strive to ensure that our residents live their lives to the full, not just adding years to their lives but more importantly life to their years.

Person in charge: Gillian Hepburn (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dundee City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 40 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Hearing Impairment • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £560 – £750

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Orchar Nursing Home: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Orchar Nursing Home

February 2014

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.8 for Orchar Nursing Home) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

My sister has been very happy since she entered the home and manager and staff have been most helpful.

Submitted by Agnes W (Sister of resident) on Friday 30 May 2014.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

View overlooking the river is superb. The lady that shouts in the dining room about Malta is sometimes a pest. Overall I love living here.

Submitted by Sydney Mudie (Resident) on Wednesday 9 April 2014.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

My aunt has been resident at Orchar House Nursing Home for nine months and has settled in well. I am very impressed with the standard of care given by nursing staff and carers and the support and individual care residents receive. Communication between staff and family members is excellent and staff have been helpful and courteous. The nursing home is beautifully situated, light communal rooms have lovely views.

Submitted by Felicity Parsons (Niece of resident) on Thursday 3 April 2014.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

All staff offer professional and emotional support to all residents. The outlook over the water from the lounges/dining areas are superb.

Submitted by Frances A (Resident) on Tuesday 21 January 2014.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I visited several homes before Mum was placed at Orchar. The friendliness, caring attitude, patience all impressed me immediately. The views over the River Tay are second to none while the rooms are clean, fresh, bright and inviting. Standard and quality of meals is excellent. Most of all though, while Mum has been anxious and agitated in the past, she is very contented and settled at Orchar. Best decision I could have made.

Submitted by Mary Dawes (Resident's Daughter) on Tuesday 21 January 2014.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

Beautiful home in a lovely setting overlooking River Jay. Top quality levels of care, cleanliness, meals and rooms. Very homely - always feel welcome with options of quiet lounge for more private visit. Irene, the activities co-coordinator does a tremendous job laying on entertainment and activities for all abilities.

Submitted by Rachel Dawes (Granddaughter of Resident/Service User) on Tuesday 21 January 2014.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

My Mother Arline Easson who has sadly passed away spent the last months of her life in this care home. I was delighted and took much comfort in the kind and caring staff and the welcoming atmosphere there was every time I visited. I was with my Mother as she passed away and the staff were so considerate to my sister and myself for what was a very sad time. Thanks again to the all the Staff for looking after my Mother and in reality all of my family. Regards Edward Easson Ps I would like to send a card to Susan the carer who was very kind to me. The only way I can distinguish her is the girl with the strong Dundee accent. Susan was so kind especially to my son who is 6 years old .

Submitted by Edward Easson (My Mother Arline Easson stayed in this Home) on Friday 27 September 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

My sister-in-law has been a resident for 3 years and she is well looked after. I can find no faults.

Submitted by Elizabeth S (sister-in-law of resident) on Monday 19 August 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

Very friendly. Plenty of activities. Mary has been well cared for since being at the home, she said the meals are lovely. In all ways caring day and night. The bedrooms are so bright and modern. They have large lounges that look over the river Tay. They have a hairdresser and keep fit day. Overall a lovely place to stay. There is a church service of required.

Submitted by Isabella Russell (Friend of resident) on Friday 16 August 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I recommend this home because it has the resident's welfare at heart all the time and makes sure they are contented and happy.

Submitted by Nessie (Agnes) M (Resident) on Friday 12 July 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I would recommend Orchar Because it provides great care for the residents. The carers are extremely friendly and genuinely seem to care for the people they look after. The rooms at Orchar are very comfortable. The food is excellent. Communication between Orchar and us as residents family is excellent.

Submitted by Catherine F (Daughter of resident) on Thursday 11 July 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

A caring, clean environment with staff who are dedicated to all the residents needs. Peace of mind for the family.

Submitted by John Branding (Son of resident) on Wednesday 10 July 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

We knew that Orchar was going to be good when, on our first visit during our search for a nursing home, the Deputy Manager who conducted our introduction, said "Our residents don't come here to die, they come here to live". How true this proved to be. Mum (and the other residents of course) were always treated with respect and her care was given with genuine concern for her well being and her dignity was always maintained. The activities coordinator works incessantly to ensure that the residents have appropriate forms of activities or entertainment to fill their day and generally the atmosphere is kept light and enjoyable.

Submitted by William Brandie (Resident / Service User) on Monday 8 July 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

My mother was admitted to Orchar Nursing Home after suffering several falls in her Sheltered Housing complex. The whole family was obviously worried as to how our mother would take to being in a nursing home, but from day one it was like a "Home from Home" and all worries disappeared. All the staff were hugely friendly, always attentive and treated Mum with the utmost respect. There was always some form of entertainment or events for the residents, and we attended a few of these ourselves and had a great time. Food was excellent and varied and when my mother required help to feed herself, this was arranged without hesitation. From the top Manageress to the ladies in the laundry and kitchen, nothing was ever too much trouble. We could not have chosen a better home for my Mum.

Submitted by Gordon Brandie (son of resident) on Thursday 4 July 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

Coming to live here I didn't know what to expect. I really like my room and the carers are first class. Where the food is concerned it is difficult to please everyone all the time but mostly satisfactory. Pleased to be living here.

Submitted by Harry B (Resident) on Friday 28 June 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

The service provided to my friend is exceptional. The care is very good. The activities provided are varied and my friend is content and feels safe in the environment. As a visitor I am made to feel welcome.

Submitted by Catherine C (Best Friend) on Tuesday 25 June 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I like living here better than the last place. I play dominoes and i like watching films in my room at night. I have two machines and people put the films on for me, it's great. I get my hair done by Carol.

Submitted by May T (Resident) on Monday 24 June 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

Fantastic location overlooking River Tay. the staff are excellent, very caring and have a rapport with the residents.

Submitted by William M (Son of Resident) on Monday 24 June 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

My mother has been a resident for 3 years and is now 101. When she first arrived there she wasn't very well, but the care and attention shown made such a difference and she improved greatly. The staff are excellent, very friendly, with a good sense of humour. I can't find anything negative to say and I'm happy my mother is in good hands.

Submitted by Elizabeth Gibson (Daughter of resident) on Tuesday 18 June 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I visit my sister in law once a week and I am impressed by the friendly, caring staff. The residents are always clean and tidy. The menu for the day is always displayed and is very varied. There appears to be good activities and entertainment.

Submitted by Joyce W (Relative) on Thursday 23 May 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I am very happy with the level of care Mum receives at Orchar. The staff are excellent; I am always made welcome The residents seem to enjoy the activities and entertainment provided. I can relax knowing that Mum is being well looked after by staff who show that they care.

Submitted by Angela M (Daughter of Resident/Service User) on Wednesday 22 May 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

Although I was very apprehensive when my sister had to go into Orchar Nursing Home I was much reassured by the very supportive staff who helped us both from the very beginning. She is well looked after and the staff react with her very well. The activities provided are appropriate for her generation and all appear to enjoy them.

Submitted by John P (Son of Resident) on Wednesday 15 May 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I visit my friend at least once a week and she is always clean and nicely dressed. Her room is tidy and attractively decorated and furnished. Although I have not seen the meals, I do see the menu in the hall and it looks very appetising. My friend is certainly thriving well and is well cared for.

Submitted by Rose L (Friend of resident) on Friday 3 May 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I would thoroughly recommend the Orchar Nursing Home. I have been a visitor here every day for the last two years. Every day I feel as if I am amongst friends, the staff are excellent, there for the visitors as well as the patients. Nothing is to much trouble. I feel the management are excellent and they really listen if you want to discuss matters with them.

Submitted by Mavis Forgan (Wife of resident) on Tuesday 30 April 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

Father has been a resident for about eight weeks. He has settled well and we see improvements in his mental and physical well being. Staff are very attentive and friendly and readily available to help or answer any questions. Although it is a very old building it has been tastefully decorated. At mealtimes tables are set properly with clean tablecloths and linen napkins. There is an activities coordinator who works hard to stimulate a range of abilities. Overall we are very happy with Dad's care and have no doubt that we have made the correct choice after visiting many care homes.

Submitted by Alison A (Daughter of resident) on Friday 26 April 2013.

Review of Orchar Nursing Home

I am very happy with the attention my cousin is receiving. The staff are very friendly and helpful and always seem to care for the needs of all the residents. I would highly recommend this home.

Submitted by Phyllis N (Cousin of Resident/Service User) on Friday 26 April 2013.

Submit a Recommendation for Orchar Nursing Home

(please write a short headline summary)

There are no jobs posted yet for Orchar Nursing Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Orchar Nursing Home