Orchar Nursing Home, Dundee, Angus

Orchar Nursing Home is a luxurious, modern and tastefully decorated nursing home, providing high quality nursing and care to its residents.

Its superb location on the beautiful, picturesque waterfront of Broughty Ferry, Dundee, commands magnificent views of the River Tay and Broughty Castle. Shops, restaurants, bus stops and other amenities are all within a few minutes’ walk.

Orchar is registered with the Care Commission to accommodate 40 residents in 38 bedrooms, all en-suite and fully equipped. Most bedrooms boast en-suite wet floor shower rooms. All rooms are single-occupancy but many can also suitably cater for couples.

Our spacious, well-appointed dining room, two comfortable, plush lounges and the garden sitting area all overlook the breathtaking, panoramic view. Residents are also welcome to take advantage of a quiet sitting corner, the hairdressing salon, two passenger lifts and off-street parking with level-access.

The appetising, tasty and nutritious menu at Orchar provides our residents with a healthy and varied diet. Specific dietary requirements and residents’ preferences are catered for. Meals are served in our elegant dining room, but residents can dine in their own rooms if they wish.

The dedication and devotion of our highly- trained staff has established our reputation as an exceptionally ‘friendly and caring Home’. Carers and qualified nurses are on duty twenty four hours a day. Our residents’ quality of life is greatly enhanced by the comfortable, warm and safe environment that Orchar provides.

Person in charge: Gillian Hepburn (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dundee City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 40 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Hearing Impairment • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £560 – £750

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Orchar Nursing Home: click here

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.8 for Orchar Nursing Home) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Orchar Nursing Home

My mother moved into Orchar House around a month ago. This care home is staffed by pleasant and caring individuals who go out of their way to ensure the best quality of life for their residents. My mother is extremely happy there and so are we, as her direct family. I could not recommend this care home enough. Staff are diligent, watchful and responsive. My mother is 90 years old and carries the burden of certain health complaints that can accompany the elderly. Staff at Orchar House have been quick to respond to medical concerns and have been instrumental in arranging external health checks by qualified medical personnel specialising in elderly care. The home itself is pretty, the TV room is always well populated, residents are chatty, bright, and so obviously benefiting from such an appropriate and high standard of care. Staff have been delightful to us as a family and we have only praise for the management of this excellent care home. Very highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchar Nursing Home? Extremely likely

Orchar Nursing Home

My father was resident at Orchar Nursing Home for the last 18 months of his life. He was made most welcome and settled in well. The staff were always friendly and helpful, and were permanent. The care dad received was excellent, particularly in the last few months of his life, when his condition and disabilities required extra care. He was able to pass away in his own bedroom at Orchar, peacefully, entirely down to the excellent and dignified care provided by Orchar Nursing home.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchar Nursing Home? Extremely likely

Orchar Nursing Home

Standards are very high here, no regrets about coming here. Have improved greatly since coming in, and family are delighted with the care, healthy eating etc. Family don't need to worry now.

Orchar Nursing Home

Everything is good, you get a good bed, good food and are well looked after.

Orchar Nursing Home

Great location easy to get out and about (with help from staff). Staff are excellent very caring. Views from windows are stunning. Great to have a choice of joining in with different activities or having a quiet time in own room everything you do is personal choice.

Orchar Nursing Home

My sister has been very happy since she entered the home and manager and staff have been most helpful.

Orchar Nursing Home

View overlooking the river is superb. The lady that shouts in the dining room about Malta is sometimes a pest. Overall I love living here.

Orchar Nursing Home

Excellent place to live. I feel very pleased to be here. Everybody is so friendly. I feel safe and an well looked after. I enjoy being in the lounge, talking to staff and other residents. I am very happy and grateful to be living in this home.

Orchar Nursing Home

Everything I need is done for me. I don't need to ask twice. The staff are very caring and considerate. Food is good and plenty of it.

Orchar Nursing Home

My aunt has been resident at Orchar House Nursing Home for nine months and has settled in well. I am very impressed with the standard of care given by nursing staff and carers and the support and individual care residents receive. Communication between staff and family members is excellent and staff have been helpful and courteous. The nursing home is beautifully situated, light communal rooms have lovely views.

Orchar Nursing Home

All staff offer professional and emotional support to all residents. The outlook over the water from the lounges/dining areas are superb.

Orchar Nursing Home

I visited several homes before Mum was placed at Orchar. The friendliness, caring attitude, patience all impressed me immediately. The views over the River Tay are second to none while the rooms are clean, fresh, bright and inviting. Standard and quality of meals is excellent. Most of all though, while Mum has been anxious and agitated in the past, she is very contented and settled at Orchar. Best decision I could have made.

Orchar Nursing Home

Beautiful home in a lovely setting overlooking River Jay. Top quality levels of care, cleanliness, meals and rooms. Very homely - always feel welcome with options of quiet lounge for more private visit. Irene, the activities co-coordinator does a tremendous job laying on entertainment and activities for all abilities.

Orchar Nursing Home

My Mother Arline Easson who has sadly passed away spent the last months of her life in this care home. I was delighted and took much comfort in the kind and caring staff and the welcoming atmosphere there was every time I visited. I was with my Mother as she passed away and the staff were so considerate to my sister and myself for what was a very sad time. Thanks again to the all the Staff for looking after my Mother and in reality all of my family. Regards Edward Easson Ps I would like to send a card to Susan the carer who was very kind to me. The only way I can distinguish her is the girl with the strong Dundee accent. Susan was so kind especially to my son who is 6 years old .

Orchar Nursing Home

My sister-in-law has been a resident for 3 years and she is well looked after. I can find no faults.

Orchar Nursing Home

Very friendly. Plenty of activities. Mary has been well cared for since being at the home, she said the meals are lovely. In all ways caring day and night. The bedrooms are so bright and modern. They have large lounges that look over the river Tay. They have a hairdresser and keep fit day. Overall a lovely place to stay. There is a church service of required.

Orchar Nursing Home

I recommend this home because it has the resident's welfare at heart all the time and makes sure they are contented and happy.

Orchar Nursing Home

I would recommend Orchar Because it provides great care for the residents. The carers are extremely friendly and genuinely seem to care for the people they look after. The rooms at Orchar are very comfortable. The food is excellent. Communication between Orchar and us as residents family is excellent.

Orchar Nursing Home

A caring, clean environment with staff who are dedicated to all the residents needs. Peace of mind for the family.

Orchar Nursing Home

We knew that Orchar was going to be good when, on our first visit during our search for a nursing home, the Deputy Manager who conducted our introduction, said "Our residents don't come here to die, they come here to live". How true this proved to be. Mum (and the other residents of course) were always treated with respect and her care was given with genuine concern for her well being and her dignity was always maintained. The activities coordinator works incessantly to ensure that the residents have appropriate forms of activities or entertainment to fill their day and generally the atmosphere is kept light and enjoyable.

Orchar Nursing Home

My mother was admitted to Orchar Nursing Home after suffering several falls in her Sheltered Housing complex. The whole family was obviously worried as to how our mother would take to being in a nursing home, but from day one it was like a "Home from Home" and all worries disappeared. All the staff were hugely friendly, always attentive and treated Mum with the utmost respect. There was always some form of entertainment or events for the residents, and we attended a few of these ourselves and had a great time. Food was excellent and varied and when my mother required help to feed herself, this was arranged without hesitation. From the top Manageress to the ladies in the laundry and kitchen, nothing was ever too much trouble. We could not have chosen a better home for my Mum.

Orchar Nursing Home

Coming to live here I didn't know what to expect. I really like my room and the carers are first class. Where the food is concerned it is difficult to please everyone all the time but mostly satisfactory. Pleased to be living here.

Orchar Nursing Home

The service provided to my friend is exceptional. The care is very good. The activities provided are varied and my friend is content and feels safe in the environment. As a visitor I am made to feel welcome.

Orchar Nursing Home

I like living here better than the last place. I play dominoes and i like watching films in my room at night. I have two machines and people put the films on for me, it's great. I get my hair done by Carol.

Orchar Nursing Home

Fantastic location overlooking River Tay. the staff are excellent, very caring and have a rapport with the residents.

Orchar Nursing Home

My mother has been a resident for 3 years and is now 101. When she first arrived there she wasn't very well, but the care and attention shown made such a difference and she improved greatly. The staff are excellent, very friendly, with a good sense of humour. I can't find anything negative to say and I'm happy my mother is in good hands.

Submit a Recommendation for Orchar Nursing Home

Please note this form is only for Recommendations (ie positive comments) & User Ratings. All submissions are verified by our team of editors, and we will contact you if further details are required.

There are no jobs posted yet for Orchar Nursing Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Orchar Nursing Home