St Pauls Care Centre, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

St Pauls Care Centre, in Hemel Hempstead, is a secure and purpose-built elderly care facility, with a flexible service designed to respect the needs of the individual.

Nursing, dementia, intermediate and continuing care are all carried out at the home, which looks to assist community health services in whatever areas of expertise carers have.

Eighty-eight beds are available in total and a wide range of health professionals regularly visit the home to ensure that care packages are kept up-to-date.

Group: Westgate Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Juliana Mensah (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 88 residents

Admission Information: Admission subject to full prior assessment. Ages 50+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on St Pauls Care Centre: click here

9.6 St Pauls Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.621)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for St Pauls Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Pauls Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.621 for St Pauls Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (149 Excellents x 5) + (65 Goods x 4) + (10 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 224 Ratings = 4.621

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Pauls Care Centre is based on 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 17.6 positive Reviews (88 registered beds ÷ 5). 18 Reviews ÷ 17.6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Pauls Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to St Pauls Care Centre

• Partner of Resident/Service User

My wife and I find St Pauls to be very good. My sister is looking very well today. She is on the 1st floor of the home and it is very clean and her bedroom is very good as well.
I am very pleased to know she is now eating.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Thank you so much for looking after my dear sister. May I wish the staff a very Happy Christmas.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The manager and her staff on the ground floor are second to none in paying attention to detail and that applies to the activities lady and the reception staff. They are all very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff all seem very caring. Food is good but not always as hot as should be when served. Rooms are a good size and kept very clean at all times. Laundry is done and returned quickly.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

In our short experience with St Pauls, we have found that the care given is satisfactory but there are some areas in which improvements could be made. For example; when residents are eating in the dining room, there are not enough carers around to help feed some residents who need it. Their meals are not cut up enough for them, and meals are taken away by other residents who wander around eating. Not enough supervision is given to residents during meal times.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Likely

Very good, polite human care team. Very motivated and treat people with dignity big experience as I am from abroad, they informed me whenever things happened immediately . Great job from all of the staff. Excellent management. They all built up a personal relationship with my uncle that let him feel so well.
He was always happy seeing one of the care team.
Especially big experience and support during his end of life, so for the relatives they gave me the feeling always that I did the best for my uncle. A big thank you more than words can say.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have always found the staff very respectful, kind, helpful and caring. I also like the cleanliness which is to a high standard.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I think it is lovely here. I like the food. The carers make me laugh and are very good to me. They look after me. I have had a birthday this week. The cake was lovely and I blew the candles out; we also had a quiz and music. I like the bed and the shower. I am safe here.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff at St Pauls Nursing Home are exceptional, friendly, approachable, caring and brilliant with the patients. They have a very challenging role which is always handled really well. I would recommend to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I find the care given to my husband is very good. He is bedbound so does not join in the activities and entertainment, that is partly due to his physical condition, and partly due to his choice as he doesn't like to join in, but there always seem to be something going on for the other residents, and it is nice to hear it when I am visiting daily.
The home is very clean and smells good compared to other homes I have visited in the past. I have recommended St Pauls Care Centre to others in the past as I feel it meets all the requirements we have.
My husband qualifies for full funding, so the question about value for money doesn't affect us, but in the past when I was paying it seemed reasonable.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Generally, the home is very clean and tidy. The staff are attentive and very caring to your needs. There are always plenty of activities. The communication between staff and family is good and they are always available to talk/discuss things. Overall as a new resident, the care is very good and we are satisfied with the care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

We, the family all agree to the wonderful care and attention my brother has received since being in this care home and was given weeks to live in July 2015, he has got on amazingly. All the staff are friendly, caring and attention to personal dignity is paramount. Activities bring about a friendly and happy environment to all. We are greeted at the front reception with a happy smiling receptionist every day.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I felt highly anxious and sad when I realised we could no longer care for our elderly father between us, at home. He has vascular dementia and alzheimers. He has only known the family home and been surrounded by a large family and friends all his life. Care homes can be daunting and scary; to imagine a loved one in. Dad has been at St Pauls for a month and I can honestly say I believe he has adapted well to his new 'home', as have we. This is all due to the care, kindness and flexibility of the management and their team, and the cleaners, who are welcoming and compassionate. I know dad is in good hands and we are able to visit whenever we want, which helps dad to adjust.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My partner came to St Paul's on July 25th, my partner was diagnosed with a certain amount of time to live. He was admitted too St Paul's. He was given only a few weeks to be with us. Now he is still here with us, so St Paul's must be doing something RIGHT. I always find he carers very helpful and cheerful, that is why my partner has settled in so well. I visit most afternoons and everyone is so very nice to me as well.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff take extremely good care of dad. He is always clean and tidy. The facilities are always clean and the staff are attentive. Would thoroughly recommend the facilities to anyone considering a care home for their relatives.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have filled this in as my husband has advanced dementia, he has been in St Pauls for 3 weeks. I have found St Pauls to have a very good and caring team of nurses and carers. They are very respectful and gentle in sometimes very challenging situations. The head nurse is professional and always knows what is going on. We are always made to feel welcome. My only complaint is that my husbands room smells strongly of urine- it was like this when we arrived.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

St.Pauls offers excellent Care and Management.

Management are always "an open door policy' for conversation........even faults.
There have been many learning curves since the home opened. However, what sets them apart from other homes is it's Management style. The Management is strong. It genuinely listens and seeks to improve continually. This is refreshing.

The Care is excellent. My Mother is now the longest remaining Dementia resident since coming here in 2009. She is settled, safe and I am extremely happy knowing she is receiving the best care possible.

I Highly Recommend St Pauls Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My partner is well looked after and feels safe and happy. He has been very ill on a number of occasions and due to his excellent care has managed to get over them.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My step father has been living at St Pauls Care Centre for several months now. My mother visits every day and I come in approx. once per week. I am very impressed with all the staff at the home and the care they provided, always with consideration and with dignity. I am impressed that the care and consideration is also extended to the "complete" family unit i.e. visiting family. My mother was involved at Christmas and enjoyed spending the whole day there. There is a family feel. The residents are safe and happy, always clean, well fed, respected and looked after/out for her. Would recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend St Pauls Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff at St Pauls are brilliant. The residence is spotlessly clean and the food is very good. Its kept at a comfortable temperature all year round.

Submit a Review for St Pauls Care Centre

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

November 2012

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Pauls Care Centre