Alexandra Grange Care Home, Wokingham, Berkshire

Alexandra Grange is an award-winning luxury care home, close to the centre of Wokingham.

Each bedroom, including some suites, is elegantly furnished and has its own en-suite shower. Several rooms on the ground floor also have direct access onto an outside patio. Facilities include a cafe, cinema room, therapy room and relatives' bedroom.

Alexandra Grange provides flexible care to include quality residential and dementia care.

Group: Hallmark Care Homes

Person in charge: Magda Radoicovici (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wokingham Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 55 residents

Admission Information: Ages from 65 to 120.

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Alexandra Grange Care Home: click here

posted 03 Feb 2016

Please contact the home for current vacancies

The user Review Score of 9.2 for Alexandra Grange Care Home is based on 15 Review/Recommendations. This Review Score of 9.219 is made up of 4.674 Points relating to the ratings and 4.545 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

Can't fault any activity in the home. Only comment- price!!

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra Grange Care Home? Extremely LIKELY

I have been very pleased with the care received by my mother in the year since she moved into the home. There is a very genuine sense of caring and pro-activity in looking after my mothers welfare. The activities and entertainment have also been excellent. My mother is now in a caring and happy environment rather than being on her own and at risk in her own home.

My mother came into Alexandra Grange for respite in May 2015 while she was waiting for her permanent place. She was unsettled for a number of weeks and the staff were brilliant in finding various ways to get her to accept the the care environment. She had never liked joining groups but she did join in a variety of activities with patient encouragement.

I felt the overall standard of care was excellent, with staff going out of their way for my mother. The room was lovely and the garden cafe particularly good for residents who like to retain their independence. The food was really good and was always served very nicely.

I would have appreciated having more ready access to the care plan which I did not see during my mother's stay. Also sometimes communication between shifts could have been improved as the system for ensuring staff knew what was happening did not always work as well as it could have done.

We were very sorry to leave Alexandra Grange and have been delighted with how well my mother has immediately settled in her new home, which may in part be due to her good experience in the first home.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra Grange Care Home? Likely

Magda Radoicovici, General Manager at Alexandra Grange Care Home responded to this review on 25 Nov 2015:

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am glad your mother enjoyed her time with us. I apologise if you didn't have adequate access to your mothers care plan. She was fully involved in the process and both relatives and residents are able to see these care plans if they wish. We also hold 6 monthly reviews to ensure that our residents care needs are adequetly met.

It is early days with my grandfather being taken into Alexandra Grange but so far he has been treated very well. Meals are very good, eaten either in the dining room, their own rooms or in the care of my grandfather, when a friend or relative has joined him, they can be accommodated in the lounge or family room for privacy. The staff have been great, very attentive, friendly and efficient. The home is quite new and the environment that has been created is lovely - beautiful garden and grounds. The communal areas are inviting, fresh and socially open, as are the rooms.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra Grange Care Home? Likely

I have found the staff, from top to bottom, to be extremely helpful and caring. Particularly after my mother was discharged from hospital. They could not do enough to help her recovery. There are many varied activities available during the days if residents wish to attend them. I know that my mother is extremely happy living in Alexandra Grange, and has also taken some of the day to day responsibility for her health and care from my shoulders. For which I am very appreciative of.

My mother has been a resident at Alexandra Grange since February 2011. Her now advanced dementia and limited mobility means she needs a lot of care and assistance. The care team treat her as a family member, giving her the reassurance and affection she needs. She is gently encouraged to participate in the many activities offered but, as with her general care, will be not be forced to do anything she doesn't wish to do.

The care team are trained to recognise her likes and dislikes, what may cause her to get agitated and what can be done to diffuse a situation.

Whilst there are inevitably the odd 'niggles' these are usually minor and can be resolved by my having a quick chat to one of the senior members of the team who are all very approachable.

There is always a welcoming atmosphere and I very much appreciate the support I am given by everyone at the Grange.

My mother has now been in the home since January and the care she receives is second to none. Someone is there for her in the good times and the bad. The care is excellent, always delivered with a smile; there is a huge range of activities and frequent outings. The residents are treated with respect and they have a real quality of life. Whenever mum returns after a day out she is greeted genuinely like a long lost friend - the home is a real community and the residents are at the heart of it.

Mum has been at Alexandra Grange over a year, the staff were wonderful when mum moved in making the transition as easy as possible. I was in a dreadful state of worry and guilt but they were all so kind and understanding. Mum has Alzheimer's and has now moved to the dementia floor, again the staff helped me to accept that she needed the extra care and attention. The lifestyles team are the kindest and most patient people I have ever met. They always look out for mum and make sure she is included in all the activities as mum cannot articulate anymore. They are always smiling and cheerful and understanding when I am having a bad day. Whenever I ring up if I can't come in the staff are always polite and reassuring on reception- lovely people. The lady who used to care for mum downstairs- what a lovely girl, thank you, Alexandra Grange what would i do without you.

My mother has been a resident for the past 3 years at Alexandra Grange. She is well cared for, well fed, has clean clothes regularly and her room is kept spotlessly clean. All staff are very friendly, helpful and dedicated to the residents and know them all by their first names. There have been issues with a high staff turnover which is very unsettling for the residents but this has noticeably improved during 2015. There is an extremely varied programme of activities to suit every need run by a brilliant activities team. Since the new Manager started earlier this year, the staff feel more valued, there is a good, relaxed atmosphere at the home and better communication on all levels . My mother has taken part in hobbies she used to do years ago such as sewing, painting and even ballroom dancing.

I consider Alexandra Grange to be a very good care home. Staff are nice and helpful, food good and I have a lovely room which is kept nice and clean. If I require something extra the company will always do their utmost to meet my request. I am very happy to live here.

The home were very helpful in working with me to settle my mother into the home. The staff are always very friendly and keep me informed of any changes in her care. The home is very welcoming, modern and bright and relatives are always welcomed to visit anytime. The communal areas and gardens are lovely. The entertainment provided for the residents is varied to suit all interests. Overall not what I expected a home to be like.

I came from a care home not as good as this. It was near my home. My family thought this one would be better. It is close to my daughter-in-law's home, so she can keep and eye on my.

The home is clean and tidy and kept so. The staff are friendly and helpful. I am treated with respect. The grounds are well laid out and kept tidy. There is a door to the garden in my room so I have a daily walk and fresh air. The food is good and appetising. Drink is permitted and provided at weekly "Happy Hour". Weekly excursions get us out by mini bus.

My mother in law has been very happy at Alexandra Grange, having been here for nearly four years. Its a very pleasant environment light,clean and airy with friendly staff and plenty of activities. Above all, the care is excellent with staff who don't just care for my mother in law but who cares ABOUT her. As her health has deteriorated she requires much more in the way of physical care and specialist equipment and this has all been provided. The food is wonderful with fresh coffee and home baked cakes always on tap. They have recently acquired a part share in a minibus which makes outings more feasible. In spite of a number of management changes, I would recommend the home without reservation.

Mum has dementia and is no longer capable of looking after herself. Having her live at Alexandra Grange has ensured she is in a safe environment with company and a very caring community of staff. Mum enjoys the activities particularly singing and dancing. The staff are always happy to discuss any queries or questions about mum's care. It gives me peace of mind to know that she is well looked after.

I have found all the staff at Alexandra Grange have treated my mother with the greatest kindness and care. She is extremely happy in her new surroundings and no longer lonely. She is kept very busy and is enjoying life.

Submit a Review for Alexandra Grange Care Home

October 2015

November 2011

There are no jobs posted yet for Alexandra Grange Care Home

Madga

Madga Radoicovici

Joined: 2015

I am the General Manager at Alexandra Grange and have been a qualified Nurse for 12 years. I have a degree in Physiology and a Level 5 QCF Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care Adults. I have always had a passion for making a difference to the lives of others and I consider myself a very dynamic and approachable individual who strives to achieve the best possible outcomes for my residents.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Alexandra Grange Care Home