Harry Sotnick House, Portsmouth, Hampshire

Harry Sotnick House, in Portsmouth, is a purpose-built care home that strives for a relaxing living environment in which quality care can be practiced efficiently.

The home's motto is to care 'about people, not just for them', aiming to help individuals achieve a satisfying lifestyle in which they feel empowered and respected.

While offering ninety-two bedrooms that are all en-suite, Harry Sotnick House also has its own library, physiotherapy room and cafe, as well as its own multi-faith room and hairdressing salon.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Karen Oliver (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Portsmouth City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 92 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Harry Sotnick House: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Harry Sotnick House is based on 12 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 8.874 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.613 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.261 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 8.874 for Harry Sotnick House is based on 12 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.613 for Harry Sotnick House is calculated as follows: ( (91 Excellents x 5) + (47 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 142 Ratings = 4.613

The Quantity Score of 4.261 for Harry Sotnick House is calculated as follows:

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

My mother is now in her 9th week here. We had been warned that this place has had problems and for that reason it was only slowly taking people in to see how it went.
I am therefore very happy to be able to report that myself and my sister both think it is excellent. The building itself is very well laid out and being purpose built all the rooms are light, well laid out and homely. If like us you've visited numerous homes to see what they're like, it will come as a welcome surprise. Non of these dark and dingy rooms in converted old houses. There are themed rooms, a coffee room, numerous dining/social rooms, kitchens, central lobby, gardens and a main activities room.
All staff are friendly, caring and helpful. It's not taken long to become friends with them and feel like part of a community. I already treat the kitchens as my own, making tea or coffee whenever I fancy. If you encounter any problems, just mention it and it gets sorted. Feedback is important and always welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Extremely Likely

After an unsettled year the home seeing a huge turn over of staff and management during 2013-2014 we as a family had to complain to staff and management at Care UK with no resolve! Unfortunately CQC was contacted as mum was very unhappy as we the family were with the treatment of care in the home, the staff and management. Ten months later after the now manager and the "team" the home is amazing the word "Care" is shown in all aspects of the home. Well done team at Harry Sotnick

As a relative of a resident I am well aware of the difficulties the home has faced over recent months. So it was nice to have a very positive visit yesterday. It was really clear how much hard work has gone on both where it can be seen and in the background. I was really impressed to see the changes that The manager and the team have been making starting to take effect. The new decoration and themed rooms are a lovely touch and should give some of the residents pleasure visiting them. Also on each weekly visit now I can see the benefit of a more settled team who clearly work well together. In particular, I wanted to say how impressed I have been with the way one of the team who is the main 1 to 1 career for my relative works. She has a lovely attitude and clearly takes a huge amount of time to try and engage the resident who clearly responds well to her. I have spent quite a bit of time talking to her and asking about my relative and she clearly knows her well. It is nice to know that while it is not a nice thing to need 1 to 1 care, that this member of the team (and I am sure others who I don't see) are working hard to make life more enjoyable. Knowing the difficulties of dealing with my relative this is not an easy job. I have also fed this back to the manager to pass on to the team member. It's easy to be quick to complain, but we shouldn't forget to say thank you or well done. I would also like to add that every time I visit the home and unit it looks very clean and tidy, thanks to the cleaning team. And I would finally like to say that the food is consistently of a very high standard. It looks and smells appetising and the menus are clearly chosen with the age group of residents in mind. So thank you to the team, we appreciate the hard work Looking after our relatives. Thank you to the team. The efforts over the last few weeks and months are appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Likely

My mum is well looked after and happy. The staff are very caring and the manger is very good and easy to talk to, you can tell she really cares. I would recommend Harry Sotnick House to people who are thinking of putting their relatives in a home.

My wife has been here for just shy of 3 years now and whilst there has been a lot of change in leadership, the home is now on a much more stable footing. The carers are all big hearted and do a job that I could no longer manage with great compassion and personal engagement with many going the extra mile. When I go to see my wife she is beautifully dressed with the attention to her hair and personal appearance that she would have done herself in the past.
She is happy, relaxed, clean and given every opportunity to do what she wants to do. If she fancies a lie in, so be it; if she wants to move all the furniture around and "tidy up" the place, then she is allowed to do so. (And we'll put it all back afterwards)
The food is superb, with a good choice and plenty of flavour and beautifully presented, Even those with puréed diets have it presented as a gourmet course not simply a pile of brown/green sludge.
Even though there are 6 units, my wife is known by all the staff and everyone of them makes the effort to say "hello" when they see her and try to engage her in conversation. It may only be brief, but she isn't ignored when passed. I include in this all the cleaners, the kitchen and laundry staff.
Any time I want to talk to someone, whether it be a carer, nurse, cleaner or management, I feel totally at ease doing so, and believe my issues are listened to and taken on board.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Extremely Likely

Purpose built, very clean and fresh. Food good, carers very good. Plenty of activities.

My wife has been at the Harry Sotnick House for nearly 4 years. I visit every day possible and am able to see more than most. I have had experience of another care home that did not in my opinion come anywhere near the standard of the overall care given to my wife at the Harry Sotnick House, I do not hesitate in recommending the Harry Sotnick House.

Overall I am happy with mum living here, staff are very nice, agency staff not so nice at times, but think they're getting better.

The care my husband is given at the times of my visiting are very good, the staff are very friendly and always helpful, the usual things are not enough staff on at one time. Food and drinks are adequate at all times, I am satisfied.

More referrals for specialist; such as physio, dentist, dietician etc.

Sarah Hyde, Marketing Manager at Harry Sotnick House responded to this review on 03 Sep 2015:

Dear Stephen, We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the fantastic scores for the care and support we provide at Harry Sotnick House. We would also like to thank you for the feedback on specialists coming into the home and will arrange for the senior team at the home to get in touch and discuss with you in person. The Marketing Team, Care UK

Highly recommended. Staff are caring, patient and friendly. They are always looking to find ways to improve the quality of life and care for residents. Over time I have seen a lot of improvements as staff grow in confidence and professionalism. My mother could not receive better care and I am so relieved she is not in a NHS Hospital.

The carers are very professional, caring, approachable, happy, they always have the time to listen and offer a shoulder to cry on when it all becomes too much. Since Laura has been the team leader it all seems so much more organised. There have been issues with managers - 4 in 2 years, but hopefully this will be rectified. I have recommended this home to a friend.

Submit a Review for Harry Sotnick House

Registered Nurse RGN, RMN, RNLD

£11.50-£15.50 per hour (Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time or Part Time)
Portsmouth, Hampshire

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Harry Sotnick House