Coppice Lodge, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Coppice Lodge is a Nottingham-based care home that is ideal for both elderly and those needing dementia care. It offers a homely interior and an experienced team of friendly professionals.

A commitment to respect and dignity is central to the home's provision, with all care packages tailored to requirements and clients can expect to enjoy a wide range of entertainments and activities as part of the service.

Ideal Carehomes have an excellent reputation in the care sector for maintaining accommodation that has a positive effect upon the physical and mental well-being of service users.

Residents can enjoy locally-sourced food.

Group: Ideal Carehomes

Person in charge: Samantha Kavanagh (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Nottinghamshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , 64 residents

Facilities & Services: Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Coppice Lodge is located on Coppice Road in Arnold, Nottingham on the site of the old Maid Marion Public House. Close to Bonington Theatre.

Coppice Lodge is situated close to local services and amenities including:

Our nearest hospital is Nottingham City Hospital and is just over 2 miles away.
Nottingham City Train Station is located 6 miles away.
Located on main bus routes services 56 & 58 run regularly.

Latest CQC* Report on Coppice Lodge: click here

posted 28 Jul 2016

Residential and Dementia Vacancies

The Review Score of 8.4 (maximum of 10) for Coppice Lodge is based on 12 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 8.355 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.042 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 4.313 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 8.355 for Coppice Lodge is based on 12 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.042 for Coppice Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (39 Excellents x 5) + (75 Goods x 4) + (27 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 144 Ratings = 4.042

The Quantity Score of 4.313 for Coppice Lodge is calculated as follows:

2. 0.1 x 10 Positive Reviews = 1.000

• We receive approximately 15% of Reviews/Recommendations through website submission and 85% of Reviews/Recommendations through Review/Recommendation Cards (only available to Enhanced / Premium Services more info).

I am enjoying all the entertainment, as it gets people together. The housekeepers keep my room tidy for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Likely

I think on the whole that standards in the care home are good. However, from experience of visiting people over at least 3 years and in different parts of the building, I have seen that's standards are not always the same all over.
I also think that the owners do not always know the direct needs of residents or even the staff they employ. Numbers of staff on duty at certain times of the day leave a lot to be desired, particularity early evening and change over time. Dementia residents need more attention and sometimes one to one care, but staff also need to have variety and space from demanding residents.

Management: Poor

Helen Chermside, Customer Service Executive at Coppice Lodge responded to this review on 12 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Coppice Lodge. Ideal Carehomes appreciates all feedback about our homes and following your review, we have been in touch with our team at Coppice Lodge who are now aware of your concerns and they will be in direct contact with you, to discuss your specific concerns. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact our Customer Services team on 0113 385 3570.

I get well looked after; I like my room, as it is private, plus very clean. Quite satisfied with care, I am pleased that I am here.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

Rooms - satisfactory because my outlook is onto a brick wall, otherwise it would be excellent - somebody has to have these rooms though.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

Helen Chermside, Customer Service Executive at Coppice Lodge responded to this review on 09 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Coppice Lodge. Ideal Carehomes appreciates all feedback about our homes and following your review, we have been in touch with our team at Coppice Lodge. They have confirmed that a move to a newly vacated room with views over the garden has been agreed. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact our Customer Services team on 0113 385 3570.

Coppice Lodge provided a wonderful environment for my late mother's final months. Despite dementia and then mobility issues she was always treated as an individual. Her personal likes and dislikes were taken into account and she was accorded all the care, consideration and dignity she would have wished for. The staff were professional and sensitive. They welcomed me as a friend when I visited and supported me at difficult times. During my many visits I never saw anything which caused me concern in the treatment of some quite challenging residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

There appears to be changes with the new manager who listens and ready to help with any worries and concerns. It appears that there will be more activities etc. Unfortunately my mother doesn't choose to take part, but good for other residents. I would wish for opportunities for outings in the future. I am relied upon by mum to get her out of the building. I know staff shortage can be a problem. The carers are all good, caring and kind, but feel they are overstretched some days as there times at weekends when its hard to speak to someone by phone. They do their best though.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

Helen Chermside, Customer Service Executive, Ideal Carehomes Head Office at Coppice Lodge responded to this review on 13 Jan 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Coppice Lodge and for bringing these matters to our attention. Ideal Carehomes has recently employed three Regional Activities Executives who will be tasked with assisting our homes to organise a varied range of activities including trips out for the residents. We hope that these changes will help you to be able to take you mum out more often, and on more varied trips. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact the home directly.

I am generally satisfied with the standard of care except;
General appearance of my wife , I would like more attention to hair etc.
I am certain that many of the clothes worn by my wife are not hers.
Furniture needs cleaning/replacing (large).
Could I also suggest please that when the home is closed for any reason that I (and other relatives) are told by email. I have twice visited the home to find it closed.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Don't know

Helen Chermside, Customer Service Executive at Coppice Lodge responded to this review on 25 Jan 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Coppice Lodge. Ideal Carehomes appreciates all feedback about our homes and following your review, we have been in touch with the Home Manager to discuss the points you have raised and ensure they are resolved fully. Funds have now been authorised to purchase new furniture where needed. Ideal Carehomes has also recently employed three Regional Activities Executives who will be tasked with assisting our homes to organise a varied range of activities. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact our Customer Services team on 0113 385 3570.

Of all the care homes we looked at Coppice Lodge was by far the best. We are pleased with the care and information given to us by the staff. We have had some issues but these were dealt with very professionally. My only concern is the change of personal but I think this is the norm with the care professional. The hairdressing service is great and chiropodist. My mother-in-law can be quite difficult but most of the staff deal with her very well.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

The care my dad receives is very good. The food and staff are excellent, they are their when needed. More staff would be good if possible but overall the home is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

Overall I am very happy with the care received by my friend who has very severe dementia and has lost the ability to communicate. The staff are caring and the food excellent. More thought needs to be given, however, to activities on the dementia units. Scary Halloween films with curtains drawn to evoke cinema are unsuited to people who hallucinate and think they have to find their way home. Music needs to be age appropriate. Pop music or heart, smooth or capital radio may seem "old" to a young carer but contrary to their belief people between 85-95 were not listening to pop at the time they went into care. CD's of soundtracks of musicals or songs of the 40's, 50's or 60's along with light popular classical music would much better evoke youthful memories and would have a calming effect.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Likely

Whenever we visit our friend we find a warm welcome by staff, always a cup of tea or coffee offered. Our friend appears to have settled here well and appears contented - despite the fact she is almost blind and her hearing has deteriorated, making it hard to have conversations as I feel that I am shouting and everyone else can hear. She also says they don't have any activities but I think this is because its too much trouble for her to join in. The home is always very clean and warm. Staff are very friendly and appear to know their jobs well. She tells me the meals are very good too. My one bug bare is having to lean over when talking to her as I suffer arthritis and back problems, making it uncomfortable and painful. I am 75 years old myself.

How likely would you be to recommend Coppice Lodge? Extremely Likely

Coppice Lodge has opted for the comment and ratings of this review not to be displayed on the grounds that they believe the comments/ratings are unfair, but the ratings of the review still count towards the overall Review Score. (This option of not displaying the comment and ratings of a review ceased to be available to care providers after 11th February 2016.)

Submit a Review for Coppice Lodge

There are no jobs posted yet for Coppice Lodge

Angela

Angela Allen

Job Title: Front of House Manager

Angela has worked for Ideal Carehomes as a Front of House Manager since October 2015.

Angela has a wealth of experience in the care sector starting her journey as a night care assistant in 1994 and progressing to a senior night carer assistant for a Lincolnshire based company, where she gained her NVQ 3 in Health & Social Care.

In 2004 Angela decided to broaden her skills to the domiciliary care industry and started as a Deputy Care Manager, where she gained her Registered Manager’s Award and further on to become an NVQ Assessor where she gained her A1 and V1 qualifications.

More recently at Coppice Lodge Angela is welcoming and a familiar face to family and friends visiting the home. Angela liaises with prospective residents from the start of their journey with us and strives to maintain and organise an active and social life at home arranging varied activities and entertainment.

Sam

Sam Barclay

Job Title: Regional Director - Midlands

Sam has worked in the care sector for 22 years, starting her career as a nursing assistant in a hospital for people with learning difficulties. Following the closure of the hospital she worked with The Richmond Fellowship Scotland for six years, developing her career from Support Worker to Service Manager, latterly managing a service for people living in the community with Crime and Drug related mental health issues. She began her career in elderly care with Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council and then moved to Southern Cross Healthcare in 2004. She remained at Southern Cross for seven years, working her way up from General Manager to Area Support Manager. Sam then joined Barchester Healthcare as an Operations Manager, working nationally supporting homes with compliance issues and crisis management situations.

Sam has studied a Masters in Management and Leadership and is passionate about coaching staff and looking at individuals being leaders of themselves. She feels this empowers staff to go beyond just meeting expectations but to make a real difference to the lives of residents through the quality care they provide.

Sam spent six months in an interim role leading Quality and Compliance for Advinia Healthcare before moving to Ideal Carehomes in December 2015 as Regional Director. Sam covers five homes in the Midlands area taking a lead role in driving the homes forward and continuing Ideal Carehomes core values - promoting person-centered care and independence through aspirational lifestyle choices.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Coppice Lodge