Fees Advice From Saga
Bowes House, Hailsham, East Sussex
Bowes House
Bowes House

Tel: 0333 321 0925

Bowes House is a purpose-built Care UK home in Hailsham, opened in June 2013 to provide professional and personalised care provision, with wonderfully decorated interiors and with the target of activity-based care.

The facility is ideal for a wide range of care needs, including specialist nursing and residential care, while carers are experienced in the sometimes complex challenges of dementia care.

Care is based around personal interests and hobbies, with a coffee shop, hair salon and themed cinema on site.

Owner: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Alison Barnes (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , 90 residents

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Bowes House: click here

Current Bed Vacancies Posted by Bowes House

There are no awards/recognitions posted yet for Bowes House

The user 'Recommendation Score' (9.3 for Bowes House) is calculated using a combination of the average of all ratings on user Recommendations submitted in the last 2 years, and the total number of user recommendations submitted in relation to the number of beds at the care home. The maximum Recommendation Score is 10. To see more about the carehome.co.uk user recommendations please click here.

Review of Bowes House on Wednesday 18 December 2013 by Elizabeth C (Daughter of resident)

Staff made mum very welcome into an environment which was strange and frightening to her. They spent time with her and involved her in all activities, drawing her into the community. After 3 weeks mum has settled in well and seems generally happy in her environment.

Review of Bowes House on Wednesday 18 December 2013 by Leslie Tasker (Resident)

Its a great place. Lovely room, the staff are brilliant. I'm very happy here. (Food good)

Review of Bowes House on Thursday 31 October 2013 by Janet Mitchell (Relative of resident)

I am very happy with all the care provided to my relative, and also the support given to myself.

Review of Bowes House on Tuesday 8 October 2013 by Jane Ayers (Daughter of resident)

Bowes House has provided my mother with a superb environment in which to end her days. The staff are delightful and nothing is too much trouble. The home provides a warm, comfortable home, which gives residents the freedom to live their own lives. It is also a lovely place to visit and becomes a really nice social occasion.

Review of Bowes House on Tuesday 8 October 2013 by John Gosling (Resident)

The service and care are exemplary. I feel safe and cared for. My room is furnished to a really high standard, and all the staff are friendly and cannot do enough for me.

Review of Bowes House on Tuesday 8 October 2013 by Graham Clifford (Son of resident)

I have recently moved my mother to Bowes House, and I'm totally delighted with my decision. The staff are so kind and go beyond the call of duty - this includes domestic, kitchen, nursing, admin, and management. The food is delicious and Bowes House has the most wonderful atmosphere, full of fun and laughter. I would highly recommend this care home.

Review of Bowes House on Thursday 3 October 2013 by Anne-Marie Fisher (Daughter of respite resident)

Wonderful care and warmth offered by all staff, reception staff included. Everyone is kind, friendly and professional. 'Special' people who go out of their way to make things nicer for others. Nothing is too much trouble for residents or their families. Food is delicious.

Review of Bowes House on Tuesday 24 September 2013 by James D (Son in law)

Excellent care given to our 9 year old mother. The nursing care provided post op (fractured hip) has been so good that she has been restored to her old self. I am delighted with every aspect of Bowes House.

Review of Bowes House on Wednesday 4 September 2013 by Jeffrey Simmons (Son of respite resident)

As soon as we looked at Bower House, my wife and I both said 'we wouldn't mind staying here ourselves'. I could not say that about any other care home that I have ever been in.

Review of Bowes House on Wednesday 7 August 2013 by Gill B (Daughter of resident)

My parents have just spent their 'holiday' at Bowes House. What a wonderful time they had! 5 star hotel treatment! The facilities are second to none and the staff excellent in everything they did. Thank you!

Review of Bowes House on Friday 26 July 2013 by Frances H (Daughter of resident)

My mother had three weeks respite care to give us a break from caring for her. She thouroughly enjoyed herself while she was ther, joining in the activities and was very sociable with the other residents and staff which she can't do at home due to the fact we have jobs and family to care for as well as mum. I would highly recommend Bowes House to anyone who needs to have care.

Review of Bowes House on Thursday 25 July 2013 by Marcy Laxton (Daughter of resident)

I watched Bowes House being built, I have moved my mother from a nursing home to be in Bowes House. The progress in 5 weeks my mother has made since being a resident is amazing, her general well-being and health have been vastly improved giving her a better quality of life. The staff and facilities are excellent.

Review of Bowes House on Thursday 25 July 2013 by Rebecca D (Daughter of resident)

This home is exceptional in care and facilities. Every nursing home should be run in the same way and our elderly relatives would maintain their dignity.

Review of Bowes House on Friday 12 July 2013 by Grace N (Service user on respite)

The excellent care, and accommodation and happy environment made my stay here very enjoyable

Submit a Recommendation for Bowes House

Please note this form is only for Recommendations & User Ratings. All submissions are verified by our team of editors, and we will contact you if further details are required. Fields marked in red are required

(Please do no enter spaces)

I certify that this recommendation & rating is my genuine opinion of Bowes House and in submitting it I agree to the terms of website use (carehome.co.uk/terms), which I have read and fully understand.

Care Assistant

Meets National Minimum Wage

(Care Home / Nursing Home • Full Time)

Hailsham , East Sussex

09 Apr 2014

Alison Barnes

Alison Barnes

Joined: 2007

Description: Alison Barnes is manager of Bowes House care home. She explains why she’s still as passionate about high quality care as she was when she started her career in nursing. "My background is in nursing – I qualified in the late 1980s, so around 25 years ago now. I worked mostly in hospitals, in acute medicine, but I also spent eight years in the army, serving in places including Hong Kong and China. In 2007 I left the NHS and moved into care home management. Before joining Bowes House, I managed another care home in the local area. I’m still as passionate about high quality care and nursing as I was when I started my career. For me, managing a care home is about delivering high standards of care in a homely environment. I like to make sure residents have a say in how things are run - it’s their home, so they should be involved in making decisions. In my spare time I’m renovating my house on the seafront near Brighton and I know that it’s often the small things that can really make somewhere feel like home. One of the things that I think makes Bowes House special is the heritage of our building and grounds – at the heart of the home is part of the 19th century brewery that once stood on the site. We’re proud to play a role in celebrating local history and hope to be a valuable part of the local community too."

Care Home Idol 2013

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bowes House