Windsor Street Care Centre

35-37 Windsor Street, Cheltenham GL52 2DG

Windsor Street Care Centre, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Windsor Street Care Centre provides person-cented care for older people, taking on long-term and respite needs, individuals with dementia or in need of skilled rehabilitation. The care centre makes the most of the talents of dedicated carers and modern technology, combined with the comforts of a homely interior and a dignified lifestyle.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Andrew Moore (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gloucestershire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , 81 residents

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Windsor Street Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Windsor Street Care Centre is based on 42 Review/Recommendations in the last 2 years. This Review Score of 9.713 is made up of a Quality Score of 4.713 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the rating and a Quantity Score of 5 Points (maximum of 5) relating to the number of positive Reviews/Recommendations.

The Review Score of 9.713 for Windsor Street Care Centre is based on 42 Reviews/Recommendations in the last 2 years.

The Quality Score (average rating) of 4.713 for Windsor Street Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (359 Excellents x 5) + (116 Goods x 4) + (12 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 487 Ratings = 4.713

The Quantity Score of 5 for Windsor Street Care Centre is calculated as follows:

3. (42 Positive Reviews ÷ 81 Registered Beds) x 2 = 1.037 (maximum score = 1)

I have been a volunteer at this care home for 3 years. In all my dealings with the staff and residents of Windsor Street, I have been most impressed - particularly with the care shown by the staff dealing with residents who have dementia.
Dementia residents can be very difficult at times, and staff dealing with them require patience, tolerance and understanding. I feel these qualities have been demonstrated admirably when I watch staff/resident interactions at Windsor Street.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I enjoy volunteering at Windsor Street, in particular the large scale fund raising events for example the summer garden party. Windsor Street is well connected within the community and offers a wide variety of trips outside of the home. Also all of the staff are happy to answer any questions I have which I find very comforting.

I'm very pleased with my treatment and being looked after, I've got no other complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

Very good support from staff. The food was very good and plentiful, the room was very nice and kept very clean. In fact you couldn't fault anything. My stay there was very pleasant.

The staff are friendly, I get on well with them. I like everything, my room is very good and I love visiting the garden. The meals are lovely. I like the exercises classes and all the music activities are very good.

Very friendly staff - my brother receives very personal care and is escorted every day for his papers. Takes part in most activities, and participates in many tips out.

I've only been here a short time but I have settled in well. It's cosy and homely. It's very good.

I like spending time in the lounge with company, I enjoy the social aspect. I get on well with the staff, they are kind.

For both my wife and I find that the service is excellent and we have total care. They have enabled me to live next door to my wife's bedroom which I find reassuring and convenient.

My mother's sister passed away at Windsor Street in April 2015 having moved there some four months earlier. She had reached the terminal stage of a long-standing illness. I haven't posted a review until now (February 2016) partly because my mother herself was very frail and died in October, but this has enabled me to make a comparison between two facilities in different parts of the country.

I had nothing to do with my aunt's decision to move into Windsor Street but soon realised that she had made an excellent choice. Accommodation and facilities were appropriate, well organised and clean, and the standard of nursing and personal care itself was first class. Apart from this I was particularly impressed by the support services, and the infrastructure which supported the front line care. The caring, client-centred ethos of the home, and the standard of communication by all staff, were excellent. I was in no doubt that every member of staff was signed up to ideals of the service.

I like it because it's friendly, it feels like home. I feel like I can speak to people - it just feels really like home. I couldn't say anything negative about the staff, they're very helpful and I feel I can talk to them.

I like it here very much. My favourite thing is all being together, I like the company. Food is very good, my bedroom is very clean. The bathroom is lovely. The activities are good fun, lots of fun!

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

I like everything really, the staff, my bedroom, my meals and singing! If I tried I couldn't find a word to criticise it, it's lovely.

I like the nursing care in here. I think the carers are fantastic. I'm happy with my bedroom. I think the food is good. I enjoy the live music too.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

My sister and I visited a number of Care Homes when it became clear that our mother could no longer live independently, we chose Windsor Street (Hampton Suite) and were very glad we did. The care Mum received was exemplary, the carers and staff were genuinely fond of the residents, spent time individually with them on activities and encouraged the residents to participate in the wide variety of opportunities available. I've never met such a lovely group of people who went out of their way to provide the best personalised care to all the residents. The Medical and Nursing attention is also excellent. The ethos that the Order of St John have instilled in all their staff at Windsor Street is superb, be they Kitchen, Reception, Activities, Carers, Nursing .... We couldn't have chosen a friendlier, well equipped, safe, caring, social, happy place for Mum and they made her last 6 months the best they could possibly have been.

My father came to Windsor Street when he was diagnosed with dementia and could no longer cope for himself. He is well cared for and treated with kindness and respect. He does appear happy in his own world and enjoys walking in the garden or watching TV in his own room. I no longer have to worry about his medication or if there is anybody to help him if he has a fall. I would not hesitate to recommend Windsor St to anybody looking for a safe place for a loved one.

We are consistently impressed with the welcoming atmosphere in this Home. We are greeted by name whenever we visit and thanked for any little service we provide.

The staff show a lot of patience and tenderness to the residents, who always look well cared for and nicely dressed.

I have been volunteering for a few months and seen at first hand the staff, residents and environment of the care home. I have taken part in days out and art and singing activities with the residents and seen the care and respect with which they are treated. I would be very happy to recommend Windsor Street Care Home to any friends or family.

My mum has been in there for 5 weeks lovely place and staff are great. There is not a place like it, so lovely. There is nothing the staff would not do to help. So please she was so well looked after while in there for respite. I would like to say a very big thank you to the staff and cleaning staff thank you.

Andrew Moore, Home Manager at Windsor Street Care Centre responded to this review on 12 Feb 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review about your Mum's stay with us. Your comments are much appreciated and I will pass them on to the rest of the team. We're pleased to have been able to help out and look forward to welcoming your Mum back at any time she may need respite care in the future.

The high level of care, the extreme efficiency and kindness of all the staff in looking after my mother, and the extended family, have helped incredibly during these past 6 months. I would have no hesitation in recommending Windsor Street Care Centre.

My husband has been in the Windsor Street Care home since June as it became too difficult to look after him at home. He has had excellent care from a very well run home. Great leadership from the top, charming manager and deputy who are cheerful and helpful. I am unable to comment on the activities as my husband is unable to take part. Nursing excellent from lovely staff.

I have been a volunteer at Windsor Street Care Home for two years now and every time I spend time with the residents I am always impressed by the quality of care delivered. Residents are treated with dignity and looked after extremely well. Activities are not only fun, but designed to be stimulating and interactive. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a volunteer at Windsor Street.

After an accident at home I was sent to Windsor Street Care Centre to recover. I was very impressed with the high standard of care and attention I received. The staff all worked well together creating a lovely, happy atmosphere nothing was too much trouble, any requests were dealt with straight away.

My mother has been there for 2 years and the care she has has is second to none. They have given me my mother back. I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone. All the staff are so friendly and willing to help with anything. One of the nicest care homes I have seen.

It has been a pleasure to visit my friend in these excellent surroundings. While I have been with her, she has had attention from staff whenever necessary and has declared her satisfaction with all aspects of care. The room is pleasant and welcoming and she is able to assist herself of access to shared space (i.e Lounge, dining room ect) when well enough.

This is the second home for my mum, the first was OK but Windsor Street is perfect. She has settled well considering she has Alzheimer's and has made some friends. I love the layout of her unit its so much more sociable and light. There are only 12 residents on her unit which makes it nicer for quick integration. Lots of great activities and trips organised and my dad is also made to feel very welcome despite being in a wheelchair. Have already recommended the place to a few people.

My mother has been in Windsor St for almost two years since it opened. The facilities are excellent, she is in a small unit with a dozen or so other residents, she has her own comfortable room with en-suite facilities. But the thing which has made Windsor Street so good for mum is the staff, dedicated, friendly, caring and kind. I could ask for no more.

I have lived here since December 2013. I like having my meals prepared. I like when the staff give me tapestries to do as I like sewing and embroidery. I enjoy the company of other residents and the staff. It's like a big family. I am happy here. I am 90 years old.

I have lived here from the day the home opened. I really like living here and I get to go to the shop with support every day. I have got a really nice room with a bathroom. My family visit me a lot.

My husbands care needs are very great and I think the home deals with him very well on a personal basis day to day. However I feel he needs a bit more stimulation mentally to avoid the extreme boredom that he talks to me about. I realise that with so few staff and other residents perhaps needing more attention is difficult.

Andrew Moore, Home Manager at Windsor Street Care Centre responded to this review on 25 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your comments which are welcomed. When residents come to live with us, we do our best to find out how they like to spend their time, so that we can support them to participate in activities we know they will enjoy. We are aware that your husband enjoys painting, drawing and crafts as well as the Sunday service which he occasionally attends. When the weather is good, he also enjoys sitting in the garden. Although our staffing levels on this particular unit are often above the minimum required, as you rightly surmise, there have been occasions over recent months where the needs of other residents have had to be prioritised, which may have led to your husband feeling bored. We have addressed this issue by increasing the amount of activity co-ordinator time available and are prioritising individualised activities with residents. This should help to ensure that all our residents are offered increased time for activities. I hope this reassures you, but please don't hesitate to speak with me about this, or any other issue, if you should have any queries or concerns.

This is to reflect on my mother’s stay over the last eighteen months in Kensington Unit.
Following her slightly traumatic transition from another, local Care Home she was, together with ourselves, welcomed into the OSJCT Windsor Street community. The nursing, caring and activities staffs, supported by extensive administration and service teams, combined to provide an engaging, family environment. The continuity and stability of the staff enabled her to build trust and establish friendships with many of the caring staff.
We are very glad that we found Windsor Street for my mother to spend her last days. She was very-well cared for in a modern, well-equipped facility.

I have lived here for nearly 18 months and I am very happy here. I really enjoy the activities that are organised for us. I like the singing groups that come in. I have a lovely room and the garden is very nice. I like to go for walks when I can.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

I have lived here for two and a half years I really like my room and have a lovely view of the garden.

I think Windsor Street is a wonderful care home. I have been volunteering for over a year and I am so impressed with the care and attention all the residents receive. I would not hesitate to put my own relative in this home and am incredibly impressed with the range of trips and activities available here - I look forward to my visits! I always leave feeling comforted that the residents are being well cared for. I have also benefited and learnt a great deal from the informative monthly support groups that are available in this home. My 90 year old mother has dementia and I have found my relation with her to have improved drastically by putting into practice what I have learnt during these sessions.

I have been entirely satisfied with the care and kindness and respect I have received, I am enjoying my time here it is like a first class hotel

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

I am very happy living here, I receive very good care and enjoy my time here.

I have lived here for five months. I am really happy here, the home is wonderful, the staff are always happy and caring. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a care home. People who visit me always comment on how lucky I am to be here.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

My wife who suffers from dementia has resided at Windsor Street Care Centre since May 2014. I feel fortunate to have found this care home with little knowledge of what to look for. From the start my wife and I were treated with utmost courtesy and understanding. The small unit philosophy does enhance the way residents are treated but undoubtedly the most important element is the quality of all the staff whose dedication in the more demanding circumstances is impressive. The professional and personal skills displayed make a real difference in the circumstance my wife and I find ourselves.

In relative terms this is still a brand new facility and now replete with its new manager and a newly invigorated team, it really is a place to consider. There are areas for improvement but the team know them and more importantly they are addressing them in real-time. So much progress has been made in the last two months.

It is a modern, purpose built facility and I cannot praise the staff highly enough.

My mother was a resident in Windsor Street Care Home for the last year of her life. The care she received in one of the dementia units was absolutely excellent. She quickly lost the dreadful anxiety she had been experiencing thanks to the patience, attention and professional help she received from her carers and the Care Leaders. Visiting her daily I could see that she was encouraged to do as much for herself as possible and that enabling her to maintain some of her independence was a priority. She was a demonstrative woman and her open affection for her carers was obvious - this was clearly a direct response to the way in which they treated her.
I would definitely recommend Windsor Street to others. My mother's year there was happy, calm and peaceful. She made new friends and was able to enjoy 'living in the moment'. (As a close relative I, too, was made welcome and helped a great deal to understand more about Alzheimer's.)
(I should add that I am now a volunteer at Windsor Street.)

This is the second home my mother has lived in and, although we were originally happy with the previous home, it wasn't until we experienced Windsor Street that we realise how lovely and utterly caring a residential home can be.
My mother has advanced dementia. Since living in Windsor Street she has become a much calmer, happier soul who clearly feels safe and secure in a loving environment.
The purpose built home is excellent, as you would expect - but what is really outstanding is the level of care and attention from the staff. Not just into the residents physical needs but also, a huge focus is put on keeping the residents active, interested in life and really promoting a very well-rounded quality of life.
I wish my Mother had gone into this home earlier because it really was the best way that we, as a family, could make her the happiest she could be. And it has taken the pressure from us as carers worrying about her safety, security and well being. As well as having to deal with a person who was becoming more and more anxious, forgetful and dangerous to herself.
Now my Mother no longer has to deal with the stress of the outside world, which to a person, even with early dementia, can be hugely confusing and daunting. In short, being in Windsor Street has enabled my Mother to relax back into the wonderful, kind, caring, funny person she used to be.
I feel so sad that not all of our elderly generation, with or without dementia, can be offered a place in Windsor Street and that many of them are lonely at home when these exceptional places do exist.

My husband has been a resident at this Care Home since September 2014 and I have always found the staff to be caring, considerate to my husband's dignity and available to talk to me whenever I felt the need for comfort or reassurance on any aspect of his care. The home is very welcoming from reception to carers, nurses and domestic staff and always extremely clean and bright, with lots of different entertainment being planned. They also try to involve carers with a Memory Café offering lots of help on different subject relating to having a loved one in care.

Submit a Review for Windsor Street Care Centre

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Windsor Street Care Centre

There are no jobs posted yet for Windsor Street Care Centre

Andy

Andy Moore

Joined: 2015

The eighty one residents at Windsor Street Care Centre are looked after by a highly dedicated team of over one hundred staff that include nurses, carers, administrators and ancillary staff. They are led by the manager who is supported by a Head of Nursing Care, a Head of Dementia Care and a team of Care Leaders.

Andy began his nurse training in 1982 at Coventry school of nursing. After just over 30 years service he left the NHS in March 2013. During his career he had many roles including community nurse, ward manager, mental health trainer and latterly as a service director within a large Foundation Trust. He has also worked as a commissioner of mental health services within Gloucestershire.

During the last few years of his NHS career Andy was responsible for the management of 2 large psychiatric hospitals, including one for older people with dementia as well as a variety of community services.

After leaving the NHS, Andy worked as a lecturer in Health and Social care and completed his PGCE. Although enjoying teaching he decided to return to management in the care sector and took up post at Windsor Street in February 2015.

Andy brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to his role as General Manager. He is committed to ensuring that services are built around the needs of the residents and that care is person centred and of the highest quality. He sets high standards for himself and his team and believes strongly in developing, supporting and empowering staff to enable them to achieve the best they can and in turn deliver the highest quality care that they can.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Windsor Street Care Centre