Apthorp Care Centre

Nurserymans Road, off Brunswick Park Road, London N11 1EQ

Apthorp Care Centre provides care and support for older people in a safe, friendly and comfortable environment.

The highly-trained, kind and enthusiastic care team support people with a variety of individual care needs, including those living with dementia. Within the home there are ample modern communal spaces including lounges and dining rooms where residents can socialise and let friendships blossom.

Activities are organised by the passionate activities co-ordinator to include a variety of stimulating and enjoyable events such as singing and ‘themed’ days to cater for a wide selection of interests.

There is an interior courtyard garden and a larger enclosed landscaped garden, both of which offer the chance to participate in light gardening or take in the fresh air within a secure setting.

Group: The Fremantle Trust

Person in charge: Mumuni Zoure (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Barnet Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 108 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Old Age

Admission Information: Private Places as well as via London Borough of Barnet. Ages 60+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, French, Dutch, Yiddish

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Apthorp Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Apthorp Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 23 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Apthorp Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 22 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.365 for Apthorp Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (125 Excellents x 5) + (113 Goods x 4) + (22 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 263 Ratings = 4.365

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Apthorp Care Centre is based on 22 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 21.6 positive Reviews (108 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 22 Reviews ÷ 21.6 Target Reached = 1

9.4 Apthorp Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.365) from 23 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Apthorp Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Apthorp Care Centre

My brother has been resident in Apthorp Care Centre for some 3 years now and I have nothing but the highest regard for the centre, its staff and facilities. They are caring, considerate and friendly.

The team led by the manager who looks after the residents deserve the highest praise.

The activities for the residents are well led, varied, entertaining and always enjoyed.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother lived at Apthorp for the last two and half years and has been very well cared for by her key worker and the other staff who looked after her on a daily basis.
The staff are caring and kind and my mother was able to establish good relationships with her carers and other residents despite her dementia. The building is divided into small flats so that the same group of residents can sit and eat together, watch television etc. and which has generally the same staff looking after them, which felt more like home.
The activities staff are lovely, very caring and work hard to help residents participate.
Sadly my mother passed away recently and in the last few weeks, we spent a lot of time with both the day staff and the night staff, who we hadn't met before. They were all excellent, caring, efficient and very kind in looking after my mother as she became sicker.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Carers lovely, willing and able.
Only ever too happy to help residents. Very kind.
Sometimes we are not told of events.
No breakdown of how cash left for personal expenses is spent.
Generally satisfactory.
Home warm and comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

Sarah Bygrave, Communications Executive at Apthorp Care Centre responded to this review on 08 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your feedback regarding the home. I’m very pleased that you are happy with the home overall.
I’d be more than happy to discuss ways we could improve our communication regarding events and personal expenses.
Please come and visit me the next time you are in the home and we can take some time to discuss this further.

Mumuni Zoure, Home Manager.

My experience is most of the helpers are very good. I get on well with them. I really like my room, it has two windows. The staff always have a lovely smile for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

I live in Stoke-On-Trent so am unable to visit often but ring every week when I can to see how my sister is and to speak to her if she is up to it. The staff are unfailingly kind, honest and supportive.

My husband and I visited last Saturday 20th Jan. The staff were terrific. Found a vase, water and scissors for the flowers I'd bought and brought us a tray with coffee and biscuits. We are very very pleased with my sister's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff have coped well with my difficult mother and she now seems fairly settled and is joining in activities and communicate eating and socialising. Whilst she will never be happy and will always find something to complain about.
I am content that Apthorp suits her very well which is a huge weight off of me. The staff are always happy to give me an update when I visit and address any concerns I may have.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I find the staff to be kind and friendly. I can talk to them and ask questions about my aunt and get answers. They let me know what happens to my aunt. I think that is good.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

I find that the home is a wonderful place for my mother to stay.
The carers are angels and they are doing a fantastic job. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff at Apthorp worked hard to provide a very caring environment for my aunt, who could be quite a challenge.
Very impressed with how they handled her to ensure she was looked after and her needs met.
Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Security is good and staff are always friendly. When I visit I get a lovely welcome and brief update on how my mother is. Her room is clean and of a good standard with en-suite toilet and washing facilities. I have seen the staff show extreme patience and dignity when caring for a resident that has decided to be less than cooperative. The food seems to be enjoyed by the residents and in my mother's case resulted in her looking much healthier than she did when she moved into Apthorp Lodge. Various activities are organised for the residents with examples of their creative talents often displayed for all to see. On the rare occasions that the staff concerned about my mother's health I am always contacted and given an update. To conclude I would hope there is a place available for me when that time comes.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The care home has been providing very good care for my aunt. She has been a resident since 2006 and is now having progressive dementia.
The care staff have been very supportive under difficult circumstances as my aunt can be quite aggressive at times.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I always find the staff, welcoming and friendly. They all seem to know and care about my mother. I get updates and always have a bit of a chat with one member of staff every time I visit.
I find the home clean and smells good.
My mother speaks very well toward the staff, at times she doesn't want to be there, I know she is looked after while there.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The team of caretakers are very caring and compassionate. Mum has been a resident for almost five years. The staff are kind and take good care of her. They seem to have genuine affection for the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

The carers always say hello and are welcoming. They are considerate and always happy to answer any queries which we may have when we visit. They will also raise concerns to us as and when they arise. For example, as a result of one conversation initiated by the carers, they have set up regular calls between my mother and father in law when they feel this would be helpful.
My mother in law has told us on a number of occasions that the food is good. It is also lovely that the staff will regularly make tea for the residents. The home is clean and warm. There is also a balcony and courtyard area to sit in when the weather is warm. There are many activities for the residents to take part in, both in groups and individually. I have recently overheard both a sing-along attended by a large group and, separately, a member of staff reading poetry to a resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I would highly recommend Apthorpe Care Home. Each time I visit my aunt there, I am so impressed by the care and attention shown by the staff to my aunt. It is an open and friendly environment, where visitors are made very welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

There are not enough good words to express the gratitude we feel, as a family, for the care my mother receives at Apthorpe Care Centre. The staff are compassionate, caring and attentive to her needs, which has seen her physical condition improve from being dangerously underweight. While we know there is no cure for her dementia we feel extremely fortunate to have found a care home where she is so well looked after and treated with dignity. In short, other than her being well and at home, we would not want her to be anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Thank you to everyone at Apthorp for taking so much care of my mother.
In what are difficult circumstances for mum, you provide fantastic support, care and give the families peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Apthorp have cared for my father for the last 2 years. Given he has probably been one of their more challenging residents - they have always sought to find remedies and do what they can to get things back on track. I would like to thank everyone for all their efforts. My father is very settled and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

My sister-in-law always seems well cared for. Very often sleepy when I visit, but very bright and talkative today.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My auntie looked happy and well. She seemed bright and responsive and even seemed to recognise me.
She seems well cared for and relaxed.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

Got good vibes from the moment we looked around, we came unannounced and found all staff, management and caring, to be so friendly.
Ideal setting for my mother. Small, intimate flats consisting of eight en-suite rooms. Mum did not have to conform to timings if she was up late, she had her breakfast late.
Balcony and gardens available for outside sitting.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother was a resident at Apthorp Care Centre for two years. In that time the care she received was generally good, with her main carers understanding her needs and treating her with respect. However, the administration/management of the centre was quite poor in the last month as I had reason to complain regarding a key communication issue. Standards of food were good. Activities need to be more varied and tailored to the resident's needs.
The facilities are an issue here as there is insufficient room to offer a full range of activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Karen Cornes, Marketing and Communications Manager at Apthorp Care Centre responded to this review on 19 Jun 2017:

We welcome all feedback and continually use it to find ways to further improve our offering at Apthorp Care Centre. It is gratifying to know that the standard of care and quality of food were felt to be good, and whilst we acknowledge that there may have been areas of our communications which could have been better, our experienced senior management team are committed to strengthening our communication and our breadth of activities offered. Mumuni Zoure, Home Manager

I visited my mother from St Louis Missouri, USA. I see her once or twice a year. My assessment is that conditions at the home are good. My mother said she is happy there. Two suggestions:

1) Carers should be trained in how to deal with residents who refuse their medication. It's a big problem. My mother doesn't take her eye drops for glaucoma.

2) Communications with relatives are poor and have been poor since she moved there in April 2013. I am informed very late when incidents, illnesses occur.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

Stuart Robb, Business Development Executive at Apthorp Care Centre responded to this review on 02 Jun 2017:

"Thank you for your review which we believe reflects the generally excellent care we provide at Apthorp Care Centre. With regards to your comments, we take training in the dispensing of medication extremely seriously and we employ successful methods to ensure residents do receive the medication they need. We will redouble our efforts in this area in our future training. As for communications, we have new systems being piloted, which will be implemented in the next few months which will significantly enhance our communications with families both on a personal as well as on a service-wide level". Mumuni Zoure, home manager - Apthorp Care Centre

Submit a Review for Apthorp Care Centre

posted 05 Apr 2018

If you wish to make an enquiry about any of our vacancies, please call 01296 737371

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Apthorp Care Centre

Mumuni

Mumuni Zoure

Joined: 2016

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Apthorp Care Centre