Apthorp Care Centre

Nurserymans Road, off Brunswick Park Road, London N11 1EQ

Apthorp Care Centre, London, London

Apthorp Care Centre in Barnet, New Southgate, provides expert care and support for older people in a safe, friendly and comfortable environment.

The highly-trained and enthusiastic care team support people with a variety of individual care needs, including those living with dementia.

A personal support plan is tailored to each person and is reviewed regularly to ensure that the home continues to meet any changing care needs and delivers exceptional personalized care.

The home has modern wings each housing individual rooms with en-suites. Within each wing there are ample modern communal spaces including a lounge, dining room and kitchenette where residents can socialise with each other.

Activities are organised to include a variety of stimulating and enjoyable events such as singing and reminiscence activities.

There is an interior courtyard garden and a larger enclosed landscaped garden, both of which offer residents the chance to participate in light gardening or take in the fresh air within a secure setting.

Group: The Fremantle Trust

Person in charge: Mumuni Zoure (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Barnet Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 108 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Old Age

Admission Information: Private Places as well as via London Borough of Barnet. Ages 60+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, French, Dutch, Yiddish

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Apthorp Care Centre: click here

posted 16 Jan 2018

If you wish to make an enquiry about any of our vacancies, please call 01296 737371

9.1 Apthorp Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.104)

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Apthorp Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Apthorp Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.363 for Apthorp Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (86 Excellents x 5) + (95 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 193 Ratings = 4.363

The 4.741 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Apthorp Care Centre is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 21.6 positive Reviews (108 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 21.6 Target = 0.741

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Apthorp Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Apthorp Care Centre

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

Security is good and staff are always friendly. When I visit I get a lovely welcome and brief update on how my mother is. Her room is clean and of a good standard with en-suite toilet and washing facilities. I have seen the staff show extreme patience and dignity when caring for a resident that has decided to be less than cooperative. The food seems to be enjoyed by the residents and in my mother's case resulted in her looking much healthier than she did when she moved into Apthorp Lodge. Various activities are organised for the residents with examples of their creative talents often displayed for all to see. On the rare occasions that the staff concerned about my mother's health I am always contacted and given an update. To conclude I would hope there is a place available for me when that time comes.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The care home has been providing very good care for my aunt. She has been a resident since 2006 and is now having progressive dementia.
The care staff have been very supportive under difficult circumstances as my aunt can be quite aggressive at times.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I always find the staff, welcoming and friendly. They all seem to know and care about my mother. I get updates and always have a bit of a chat with one member of staff every time I visit.
I find the home clean and smells good.
My mother speaks very well toward the staff, at times she doesn't want to be there, I know she is looked after while there.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The team of caretakers are very caring and compassionate. Mum has been a resident for almost five years. The staff are kind and take good care of her. They seem to have genuine affection for the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

The carers always say hello and are welcoming. They are considerate and always happy to answer any queries which we may have when we visit. They will also raise concerns to us as and when they arise. For example, as a result of one conversation initiated by the carers, they have set up regular calls between my mother and father in law when they feel this would be helpful.
My mother in law has told us on a number of occasions that the food is good. It is also lovely that the staff will regularly make tea for the residents. The home is clean and warm. There is also a balcony and courtyard area to sit in when the weather is warm. There are many activities for the residents to take part in, both in groups and individually. I have recently overheard both a sing-along attended by a large group and, separately, a member of staff reading poetry to a resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff are always very friendly and willing to assist and support family members. My relative is looked after so well and all her needs are met. It has a relaxed atmosphere at the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

I would highly recommend Apthorpe Care Home. Each time I visit my aunt there, I am so impressed by the care and attention shown by the staff to my aunt. It is an open and friendly environment, where visitors are made very welcome.

Activities: Don't Know

There are not enough good words to express the gratitude we feel, as a family, for the care my mother receives at Apthorpe Care Centre. The staff are compassionate, caring and attentive to her needs, which has seen her physical condition improve from being dangerously underweight. While we know there is no cure for her dementia we feel extremely fortunate to have found a care home where she is so well looked after and treated with dignity. In short, other than her being well and at home, we would not want her to be anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Thank you to everyone at Apthorp for taking so much care of my mother.
In what are difficult circumstances for mum, you provide fantastic support, care and give the families peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Apthorp have cared for my father for the last 2 years. Given he has probably been one of their more challenging residents - they have always sought to find remedies and do what they can to get things back on track. I would like to thank everyone for all their efforts. My father is very settled and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

My sister-in-law always seems well cared for. Very often sleepy when I visit, but very bright and talkative today.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My auntie looked happy and well. She seemed bright and responsive and even seemed to recognise me.
She seems well cared for and relaxed.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

I think the small units within the care centre work really well for my mother. She is looking well, has regained mobility and is joining in with activities and meals.
She will never be satisfied with her lot but I think this is proving to be a very good compromise for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My sister has been at Apthorp since last August 2016. I live in North Staffordshire and have only been able to visit twice. However, I have phoned regularly and have found the staff to be extremely caring and helpful towards my sister and towards me.

We are extremely grateful for the care and attention she has received and the interesting activities in which she was, when well enough, able to take part. Many thanks to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Got good vibes from the moment we looked around, we came unannounced and found all staff, management and caring, to be so friendly.
Ideal setting for my mother. Small, intimate flats consisting of eight en-suite rooms. Mum did not have to conform to timings if she was up late, she had her breakfast late.
Balcony and gardens available for outside sitting.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother was a resident at Apthorp Care Centre for two years. In that time the care she received was generally good, with her main carers understanding her needs and treating her with respect. However, the administration/management of the centre was quite poor in the last month as I had reason to complain regarding a key communication issue. Standards of food were good. Activities need to be more varied and tailored to the resident's needs.
The facilities are an issue here as there is insufficient room to offer a full range of activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Facilities: Very Poor

Management: Poor

Karen Cornes, Marketing and Communications Manager at Apthorp Care Centre responded to this review on 19 Jun 2017:

We welcome all feedback and continually use it to find ways to further improve our offering at Apthorp Care Centre. It is gratifying to know that the standard of care and quality of food were felt to be good, and whilst we acknowledge that there may have been areas of our communications which could have been better, our experienced senior management team are committed to strengthening our communication and our breadth of activities offered. Mumuni Zoure, Home Manager

I visited my mother from St Louis Missouri, USA. I see her once or twice a year. My assessment is that conditions at the home are good. My mother said she is happy there. Two suggestions:

1) Carers should be trained in how to deal with residents who refuse their medication. It's a big problem. My mother doesn't take her eye drops for glaucoma.

2) Communications with relatives are poor and have been poor since she moved there in April 2013. I am informed very late when incidents, illnesses occur.

How likely would you be to recommend Apthorp Care Centre? Likely

Stuart Robb, Business Development Executive at Apthorp Care Centre responded to this review on 02 Jun 2017:

"Thank you for your review which we believe reflects the generally excellent care we provide at Apthorp Care Centre. With regards to your comments, we take training in the dispensing of medication extremely seriously and we employ successful methods to ensure residents do receive the medication they need. We will redouble our efforts in this area in our future training. As for communications, we have new systems being piloted, which will be implemented in the next few months which will significantly enhance our communications with families both on a personal as well as on a service-wide level". Mumuni Zoure, home manager - Apthorp Care Centre

Submit a Review for Apthorp Care Centre

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Apthorp Care Centre

Mumuni

Mumuni Zoure

Joined: 2016

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Apthorp Care Centre