Oakwood

192 West End Road, Bitterne, Southampton SO18 6PN

Oakwood care home in Southampton offers older people a friendly welcome and specialises in dementia care and support for those with mental health needs.

Staff have a kind, caring attitude and are able to foster a calm, family-orientated environment.

Healthy, tasty meals are prepared to meet individuals' needs including the dietary requirements of those with diabetes. Residents get the appropriate level of help they require to eat and drink at meal times.

There is an open and transparent culture where visitors are welcomed and good working relationships are built with external professionals.

The care home's staff are willing to help make residents feel at home and strive to encourage their independence and individuality.

Residents can take part in activities which are
adapted and personalised to reflect their interests. Staff encourage them to express their wishes, goals and activities.

Sing songs, film afternoons, computer use and gardening are just some of the activities available.

Group: G & A Investments Projects Ltd

Person in charge: Anna Jaksz (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Southampton City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 28 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £500 – £580 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Oakwood to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Visitors welcome at any time, however please refrain if possible at meal times.

There is parking at the rear of the premises. Front parking is available for assisting service users only.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Oakwood: click here

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for Oakwood is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Oakwood in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.0 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.577 for Oakwood is calculated as follows: ( (89 Excellents x 5) + (27 Goods x 4) + (14 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 130 Ratings = 4.577

The 4.036 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Oakwood is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 5.6 positive Reviews (28 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 5.6 Target = 0.536

8.6 Oakwood has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.613) from 11 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Oakwood?

Reviewer Connection to Oakwood

• Mother of Resident/Service User

It is always a difficult decision to place your mother into the care of others, however, the love and gentle care she receives at Oakwood provides us with reassurance and confidence.
My mum is extremely happy at Oakwood.
The staff are caring, supportive and professional.
Her medical needs are taken care of beyond what she was getting just visiting a GP - they identify a potential issue and ensure a diagnosis/treatment, if required, is established. New medications are added to her list and with her the next day. If she has had a bad night/dream she is comforted and taken to be with others, given a cup of tea and made to feel better. She is now able to have a lovely soak in the bath and wrapped in a big warm towel - she smiles when she tells me about it.
Afternoon tea and cake - she is well looked after and treated with dignity and respect.
Plus the food is excellent quality and size.
We are so happy mum is safe and has quality care. It is a real home from home.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

My mother is a resident and is very happy there and is very well taken care of. We were very worried she would be unhappy and it was a very difficult decision for us but the manager and staff at Oakwood reassured us and have done everything possible to make mum feel comfortable and at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

The team at Oakwood are first class. They treat all residents as individuals and tailor care appropriately always involving the resident and their families. They also have great social interaction with residents including light-hearted banter, and there is genuine affection as well as care.

My mother hated the idea of residential care, fearing a loss of independence, privacy and dignity; however, she was prepared to "give it a go" and all of her fears have dissipated in the time she has been at Oakwood. She now tells family and friends that she loves her new home.

The move to residential care was a huge decision for us as a family and we looked at a number of care homes. The moment we entered Oakwood we knew it was the right place due to the warmth and family feel; we were right! The care she is receiving is excellent taking a great weight from our minds. We are now able to enjoy time spent with mum rather than stressing over her basic needs.

A great place with great people.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

My mother was staying for respite in this care home. It was the first time she had stayed away, except for occasional hospital stays. After we did our first visit we were feeling less anxious because the staff there were so very kind, friendly and caring, it put our minds at rest.
Any major move takes some getting used to and getting into the different routines but Mum managed alright and soon felt better. We were allowed to move Mum's chairs in and make her room a bit more personal. I am a member of nine children that Mum had and so lots of us visited to settle Mum over the two weeks and we also were welcomed and given a drink each time.
Lovely care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

I have been a resident at Oakwood for almost four years. The staff are wonderful and have all helped me to overcome a bout of clinical depression. They are without exception helpful and courteous at all times. I have been able to maintain a high degree of independence. The quality of food is excellent and the chef takes into account my particular nutritional needs. The home is well organised and the manager and staff work together as a competent dynamic team.

Kelly, Manager at Oakwood responded to this review on 10 Jan 2017:

Thank you, it is most welcoming to hear you are having such a positive experience at Oakwood.

Oakwood has been fantastic, my mum has been hard work, but they have been wonderful my Mum looks so much better since she has been there her hair has been done. She has been fed good food, and although she does not realise due to her illness this home has been the perfect place for Mum. The staff are so friendly and helpful could not wish for more.

Kelly Burrows, Manager at Oakwood responded to this review on 09 Jan 2017:

It's been a pleasure having your mum here. As discussed Mum is more than welcome to continue having her hair done here and join us for meals when she wants some company.

We moved my mother here after her previous care home were no longer able to care for her deteriorating mental problems. From the first introductory visit she was keen to move and many of the problems she had been experiencing before stopped after the move. I am sure the extra care and attention of the staff in Oakwood led to the improvement. She has been very happy and although she has had two medical crisis necessitating hospital stays the staff dealt with them appropriately. The hospital Doctor says the decisions to admit her were correct on both occasions and they were happy to return her to the home for her ongoing care.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

Kelly Burrows, Registered Manager at Oakwood responded to this review on 09 May 2016:

Thankyou for your kind words, I'm very glad to hear you are happy with the care we provide your mum with here.

I recommended my friend to go to this rest home as I had known of people who had been there and spoken very highly of it. In the last few months there has been a lot of upgrading of furnishings - all to make it as homely as they can for their residents.
The staff are so very caring of the residents and all very attentive to them.
Everyone has a little party with a home-made birthday cake on their birthday and friends/relatives are always invited. They have a very good understanding of dementia care and a lot of patience.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

Kelly Burrows, Registered Manager at Oakwood responded to this review on 10 Dec 2015:

Thankyou for all your support.

Throughout my fathers stay at Oakwood he was always treated with consideration and dignity by the staff. Whilst there was a few superficial problems the caring nature of the staff made me feel that my father was well looked after and happy. Which gave me great comfort.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Likely

MRS KM BURROWS, Registered Manager at Oakwood responded to this review on 25 Nov 2015:

Thank you for your kind words.

Since my Nan moved into Oakwood she has thrived so much. She is much happier and looks so well. She loves it there. The carers are all so lovely and do a great job.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind words and ongoing support to myself and my team

The Manager and the staff are all very professional, caring, and respectful to the residents. It is clean and comfortable, and the food is very good and caters for all needs.
It is very family oriented.
The outside appearance of the building does not match the quality of the inside.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood? Extremely Likely

Kelly Burrows, Registered Manager at Oakwood responded to this review on 23 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your kind words. Your support to myself and my team is very much appreciated.

Submit a Review for Oakwood

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Oakwood

Kelly Burrows

Job Title: Registered Manager

Joined: 2014

I have 14 years experience in the Care Sector. I am committed to my duties and take a pro active approach to managing our home. I am actively involved in our residents lives and lead my team effectively to promote choice and compassion. I work alongside my team to constantly improve our services and never shy away from a challenge. I am proud of my team and what we have achieved together and strive to make Oakwood even better and improve the services we can provide.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Oakwood