Glebe House

8 Mill Street, Kidlington OX5 2EF

Glebe House is a forty bed residential care home located in Kidlington, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for older people.

Care charity and provider The Orders of St John Care Trust are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: April Bulman (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Admission Information: No Mental Health Clients. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Czech, Danish, Polish, Russian, Thai

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Glebe House: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Glebe House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 47 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Glebe House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.726 for Glebe House is calculated as follows: ( (456 Excellents x 5) + (66 Goods x 4) + (28 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (4 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 559 Ratings = 4.726

The 4.75 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Glebe House is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.750

9.5 Glebe House has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.476) from 47 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Glebe House?

Reviewer Connection to Glebe House

I have always found this site to be grubby. I particularly dislike the ‘waiting area’ where all residents are left in a circle outside the office. Waiting for God? I spoke to three or four residents today who were all bored. Those less abled struggled to get out of the circle of seats. There are no activities. Not many staff around.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Unlikely

Liz Parkin, Communications and Events Coordinator at Glebe House responded to this review on 09 May 2018:

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate any feedback to ensure we are providing a quality service for our residents.
We do have five lounges within the home and a large dining area, however, the foyer area you are mentioning is the chosen place for many of our residents to spend their time where they see the comings and goings of the home whilst listening to music or having a sing-a-long.
Our activities are currently reduced whilst we are in the process of recruiting a new Activities Co-ordinator but there will be a wide range of activities once this position has been appointed. In the meantime, we do have a valued group of volunteers who spend time with our residents in a variety of ways. We are committed to ensuring our residents are entertained and occupied under our care.
Please do come and speak to me at any time if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the home. April Bulman – Home Manager.

I loved my stay at Glebe House. Everyone was marvellous, always had time to talk to me. I had a wonderful Christmas with them. Many many thanks.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Fantastic - no problems at all.
They're more friendly than the previous care home and everyone knows each other.
The office door is always open.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I am in no position to judge either management (which seems good) or value for money as I am not funding my brother's care. But Glebe House is an attractive environment and the staff friendly, efficient and welcoming. It's a pleasure to visit him.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Great, great and always great and thank you. You are amazing and always work at working all the time. You are a nightingale.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I would like to express my sincere thanks for the exceptional care shown to my mother by carers during her time at Glebe House. Many carers willingly gave up their free time to bring children, grandchildren and pets to see her. All came to her room for a chat or a hug. These visits gave her great pleasure. Even in her final days in hospital, carers continued to visit.
Everyone at Glebe House were my mother's "family".
There she felt safe, loved and cared for.
The care of my mother has been exemplary and I cannot thank everyone enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Generally speaking, the home is OK.

However, they don't seem to come and check if the patients need to go to the loo and during the hot weather there is a lack of administering drinks but they may be short staffed.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Likely

April Bulman, Home Manager at Glebe House responded to this review on 07 Jul 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Residents are assisted to use facilities either at their request or on a discreet regular basis. Carers are allocated to groups of residents but will attend to the needs of all residents as required and we have flexible employee ratios according to the number of residents in the home. Drinks are available at various stations within the home at all times and residents have a jug of cold drink in their rooms according to their choice. We also offer drinks hot and cold from a regular trolley service throughout the day. During the recent hot spell residents were kept hydrated with a variety of drinks with the addition of ice lollies.

My door is always open, should you wish to discuss anything further.

My mum came to Glebe as we were struggling at home and she needed more care. I am very happy with the home and mum looks good since she has been there. Everyone has been really good.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My mother came to Glebe House for end of life care because we were unable to cope with her care in her own home. She was treated with enormous kindness, care and various interventions which we had been trying (and failing) to get in place whilst she was at home, were organised with speed and professionalism. The staff have been unfailingly kind and loving so that her final weeks were a time of peace and dignity. I cannot speak highly enough of the lovely staff and the happy atmosphere in the home. It is a place which inspires confidence and respect. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

April Bulman, Home Manager at Glebe House responded to this review on 02 Feb 2017:

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this review. We were pleased and privileged to be entrusted with your mother’s care and be able to support you and your family at the end of her life. She was a lovely lady and will be missed by all of us. I will share your comments with the whole team, who I know will really appreciate your kind words.

Firstly the staff at this home are absolutely AMAZING!! In particular, certain members of staff are SO dedicated. Sadly we were misled by the previous manager and feel I should highlight as it is important to find the right care home for your loved one. Staff are trained in dementia but only to a certain level and sadly cannot cope with residents in the later stages of Alzheimers/dementia. This is something St John's really need to reflect on their website!! However, there is now a new manager, who I was pleased to see did take on board our comments and arranged a necessary action very quickly. The home has lacked activities, but this is something the new manager tells me will also be rectified. It is not the plushest of the homes and it does need more colour around the place, but it certainly has a wonderful friendly atmosphere and the staff care about not just the resident, but their families too.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Don't know

Mum has been at Glebe for several months and I am very pleased with her care. The carers treat her with dignity and care about making her life there enjoyable and safe. She is happy and feels at home. Mum has benefited from having more people around her and enjoys interacting with the other residents. All of the carers are kind and understanding and are happy to let her "help" them in the office at times (she worked for many years as a secretary). The staff do so much to help new residents settle in and feel at home, I cannot praise their care highly enough. Things that I really appreciate (apart from the excellent staff) are the beautiful gardens which are accessible from any wing, the numerous lounges and places to sit (mum likes to walk around, explore and try new places), the welcome given every time I arrive.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

We came to Glebe House for the summer BBQ that we saw advertised. The staff were very welcoming and assisted us with everything we asked for. The home smelt of lemons, very fresh and clean. The friend I visited that lives here have said that the staff were friendly and dedicated to their jobs.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

We attended the BBQ. All the staff worked very hard and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. The children loved the magician and all the adults the singing through the decades. It's down to the hard work and care the staff show to the residents and their families. Many thanks to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I am so sure the carers are amazing, so polite and caring. Thank you to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

The home provides good activities, they always relate to not only my relatives but to lots of others as well. Especially bingo.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I can't fault the staff, always go that extra mile to help me and my dad.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Glebe House is a friendly, secure home, with hard working and good friendly staff. The home is blessed with lovely surroundings and gardens which is a great plus in the summer months.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

The staff are very helpful in every way and nothing is too much trouble in Glebe House.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Completely satisfied. Staff polite and courteous. Very willing.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I cannot believe what a change in the resident I care for in just a week. It was such a good feeling and to see him so happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I have always found all staff and carers very willing, the meals are excellent and they always made you welcome, asked if you would like a drink. I would say if I had to pay it would be value for money. When I was asked about Glebe House if it was good its excellent and I told them all about Glebe.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I am a regular to Glebe House I come on respite 4 times a year to give me and my husband a break. How do you recommend something that is very high standard, if I didn't like it I wouldn't have come back. I love it all. The staff are amazing, lovely food, excellent clean rooms. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My father has been in Glebe House since the end of March, we have nothing but praise for the care he is receiving. The staff are always friendly and very helpful and have settled my father in very well. His room is always clean and the food always smells and looks delicious. We have no concerns or worries about leaving him under their care, which is a great comfort to us knowing he is well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Extremely friendly staff, nothing is too much trouble, lovely caring environment created. One of the very few times I have been happy to leave my mother-in-law knowing she will be cared for in a very gentle and secure environment. This is her second visit and I would not hesitate to bring her back again.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Respite Care. Mum always leaves Glebe House in a very cheerful mood and very perky. She is clean, tidy and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

There is always a friendly welcome by the staff, who are always cheerful, conveying a very pleasant atmosphere. Very caring staff with the residents, and the home is always well maintained, kept clean and tidy. Nothing seems too much trouble I'm always offered a drink/biscuit etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I always find the home very friendly. The staff seem very caring and the atmosphere is open and welcoming. There is usually music playing sometimes a little loud to talk over. But we can move down to the quieter day room or the dining room if necessary to talk. The home is always clean and smells fresh.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

In the 4 months my husband has been in care, I have been greatly impressed with the friendly atmosphere of Glebe House which is guaranteed by the manager and the care staff.
Whenever I arrive to visit there is always a warm welcome from members of staff.

The home is kept spotlessly clean and from what I see the food is excellent. Any little difficulties that may arise are dealt with tactfully and swiftly. It is comforting to know that my husband is in good hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I was taken by surprise by the onset of my wife's dementia. I had got used to her alzheimer's and found both having a social worker and the attendance allowance to pay for her Day Break club in Oxford was really very reassuring as well as helpful. Suddenly to lose both came as something of a shock, but I had a good accountant and a reassuring stockbroker.
They were matched Glebe House, run by the manager and her assistant. The nursing staff have been kind not only to my wife as a patient but also to me as a visitor and to friends too.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Our father is always happy and well looked after in Glebe House. Thank you everyone for your care.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My dear friend was a resident at Glebe unit she passed away. The quality of care is second to none and the level of caring is brilliant. The carers are brilliant and the leaders are lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My mother has enjoyed her short stay at Glebe House very much. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I can honestly say that it has been a real pleasure I hear that she has been so well looked after. All the staff were well beyond exceptional and this has been of great comfort to my mother, myself and my family. I hear my mother will miss everyone at Glebe House as will I.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My mum continues to receive excellent care at Glebe House. The staff are aware of her needs and some of the challenges she presents but they find ways to engage her and encourage her with singing and dancing in order to give personal care. Management are always sympathetic to any concerns we have as a family and will always do their utmost to resolve any issues. As far as we can tell, mum is happy and safe and loves to watch the staff go about their work. Out thanks to all at Glebe House keep up the good work!

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Would have no hesitation in recommending the home and have been extremely satisfied with the level of care give.
The home is always welcoming and the smell of good food cooking is fantastic.
There is always a good feel to the home and the activities for residents are good.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Very friendly staff, very nice food, I have stayed a couple of times, a lovely warm home always clean and welcoming, I would stay again.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law was in the care for about two weeks. She said she was happy with the level of care she received,. According to her, the care staff are always helpful, polite, caring and added much value to her life. The environment is so neat and very accommodating.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My uncle was treated exceptionally well and the family are very grateful to all the staff for giving them peace of mind in his respite care. We didn't want to be moved on! Uncles transformation was remarkable he come in very poorly and with the regular meal times and strict routines he bounced back. Although now we believe in a wheelchair. Thank you so very much. To the managers you have a fab team including you administrator. I would choose Glebe House over every other place.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Priscilla Anya, Home Manager at Glebe House responded to this review on 27 Oct 2015:

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I will share them with my team and know they will very much appreciate them. It's very important to us that everyone living at Glebe House, whether for a short stay or longer term, is supported according to their individual needs. We are all very pleased that your Uncle enjoyed his stay!

A most enjoyable stay. The staff are all very pleasant. The food is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

The staff are always welcoming and ready to provide assistance when needed. You get a sense of community which makes a positive difference to residents and family alike. We appreciate their hard work which goes beyond what we might expect to look after our mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Lovely afternoon, lovely carers, great atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

My friends Grandmum stayed at Glebe House as a respite for 2 weeks. I came with my friend to Glebe House to visit his Grandmum. The staff at Glebe House were friendly and the environment was very clean. My friends Grandmum said that she was happy with the quality of the care she is receiving at Glebe House.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

The carers/nurses are all lovely and very welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

When visiting my friend the staff are truly friendly and present so caring. The home is bright and is made to be bright and cheerful.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

This is my third time here and you are all loving, caring and friendly great care and attention for residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

I attended a BBQ, I saw staff who were very caring and supportive to the residents I the home. I saw staff give up their own time to provide activities, everyone was very caring and nice. The atmosphere was nice and the function was very well attended.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

We are very happy with the care that my mother n law is getting.
She is well cared for and the home meets her every needs.
All the carers are dedicated and the staff in general, domestic and maintenance are all so friendly and know all of the residents by name.
Could not have wished for a better care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Glebe House? Extremely Likely

Since August 2014 my mother in law has been in Glebe House and been treated extremely well. The home is well run and the staff are very sympathetic and caring. Food always looks good and smells good.

Submit a Review for Glebe House

April

April Bulman

Joined: 2016

April Bulman is the Home Manager at Glebe House. She has been with the Trust for 11 years. April started her career as an Administrator and due to her hard work and passion for care, she progressed to Home Manager level.
April has a Level 5 in Health and Social Care.
The reason why April chose to enter the care industry was that she has always wanted to make a difference and has always been a people person.
The most exciting part of April’s role is seeing the residents take part in the home's activities and them being able to live and enjoy life.
Outside of work, April enjoys spending time with her children and grandchildren. She also has a passion for arts and crafts and used to decorate cakes!

Disna

Disna Craven

Job Title: Head of Care

Joined: 2011

Disna began her career in the care industry in 2008 where she started as a carer. Over the last 10 years as a result of her hard work and dedication she has progressed from a Carer to Care Leader and is now Head of Care at Glebe House.
Disna has been with OSJCT since 2011 and absolutely loves her job! Disna enjoys the fact that she is giving back to the community and that brings her joy. Putting a smile on a residents face makes her day worthwhile.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Glebe House