Hardwick House Retirement Home, Eastbourne, East Sussex

Hardwick House is a warm and welcoming family owned and run Retirement Home offering full-time, respite and convalescent care. Rated 'Good' with CQC 4th April 2017.

Hardwick House offers 15 en-suite rooms and tailors the care support provided to enable each resident to live as independently as possible.

Hardwick House is within a short level walk of the town center, seafront and theatres. The sunny pretty garden and summerhouse offer the residents choice of where they spend time, and they are able to make use of the garden all year round.

A varied menu of home-cooked meals is provided offering seasonal fresh produce.

Hardwick House is committed to supporting residents to achieve maximum quality of life. Trained care staff assure individual care is offered with respect to privacy and dignity.

Residents have the opportunity to join a number of activities and outings. These include quizzes, cake decorating, flower arranging, film club, reviewing local newspapers and outings to the local community.

Hardwick House owners pride themselves in providing the kind of care that only a family can give.

Owner: Hardwick Care Group LLP

Person in charge: Fiona Haggis (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 19 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £550 – £660 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Hardwick House Retirement Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Parking available for Residents and Visitors in Wish Road

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Hardwick House Retirement Home: click here

9.8 Hardwick House Retirement Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.758)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Hardwick House Retirement Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 10 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hardwick House Retirement Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.758 for Hardwick House Retirement Home is calculated as follows: ( (94 Excellents x 5) + (23 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 120 Ratings = 4.758

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hardwick House Retirement Home is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 3.8 positive Reviews (19 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 3.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hardwick House Retirement Home?

Reviewer Connection to Hardwick House Retirement Home

Our father has been a resident for 7 years. He died in December 2017. I cannot fault the level of care and love he has received. The home is very well maintained and the food is all home cooked using the freshest of ingredients. We could not have found a nicer, more friendly home for him. He settled in virtually from day one and was very happy to be looked after by the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Hardwick House Retirement Home? Extremely Likely

Very considerate care and excellent activities, food consistently good and varied.

I have been delighted and very grateful for the care that my father received at Hardwick House. The staff are exceptionally kind and helpful and my father was treated with the utmost respect and dignity at all times. The management and staff at Hardwick did their best to ensure that he was made to feel comfortable and secure at all times.
It has always been very easy for us to contact the owner by phone or email if we were concerned about anything and we received regular updates on our father's well being. When my father arrived at Hardwick House some seven years ago he was very frail and had suffered many falls and was not eating. We were very concerned for him. I truly believe that we were blessed with an extra seven years with our Dad that we would otherwise not have enjoyed due entirely to the wonderful care that he received at Hardwick House.

Fiona Haggis, Owner at Hardwick House Retirement Home responded to this review on 19 Jan 2018:

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback, we feel privileged to have got to know your father so well, and remember him with great fondness. I will pass on your feedback to the team.

Mother is cared for with respect, dignity and professionalism. Good activities provided food standard is good and varied, clean, hygienic and well managed overall.
Highly recommended.

Fiona Haggis, Owner at Hardwick House Retirement Home responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for highly recommending us

My father has been here for 4 years and has been very well looked after. A real home from home. The helpers are extremely kind.

Thank you for your review, I will pass on your kind words to the helpers.

Difficult to compare as have not been in any other care home.

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

My mother has been at Hardwick House for the past 10 months. I am totally impressed with the level and standard of care at Hardwick House since February. It is always a 100% from every member of staff.

It is very reassuring to know that my mum is in a very safe and very caring environment.

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass on your kind words to the team.

My mother inlaw has been in Hardwick House for the past 9 months and in this time she has settled in very well. Within the first month of being there it was her 90th birthday and the staff helped us celebrate and use the lounge.

The staff are very friendly, always willing to help wih anything.

Hardwick House is very clean and offers excellent facilities for the residents I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

My mother has been a resident here for 2 years. She is very well cared for. All the staff are extremely kind and caring. The home is well run and managed. The food is varied and always tasty. My brothers and I have been very satisfied with our mother's care here over the last 2 years.

Fiona Haggis, Owner at Hardwick House Retirement Home responded to this review on 11 Jan 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I will pass on your kind words.

Since I have been here I have found everyone to be helpful and supportive of all my caring needs.

All meals are excellent and I attend the varied activities provided every day.

Nothing is too much trouble for the owner and her staff in ensuring my comfort.

Submit a Review for Hardwick House Retirement Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Hardwick House Retirement Home

Fiona

Fiona Haggis

Job Title: Partner and Registered Manager

Joined: 2000

Hardwick House Retirement Home is a family business and has been in my family since it opened in 1988. Initially it was owned and run by my mother and I joined the team in 2000. Now the Partners in the business are my self, my husband David and our grown up boys Edward, William and Matthew.

My working life started as a computer software engineer in the defense sector. But after a break to have the boys I joined the family business.

I have been the Registered Manager since 2001 and I am now delighted that my husband David and our three grown up boys all support me in our aim to have a Retirement Home with a true family feel, passionately striving for a safe, friendly home tailor making our routines to individual needs.

My degree training is in Applied Science and I also have the Registered Managers Award and the NVQ level 4 in Care.

I am supported by a dedicated team who go above and beyond for our residents to truly offer Retirement without Isolation.

David Haggis

Job Title: Partner

Joined: 2011

I am one of the Partners of Hardwick House Retirement Home. Initially I started helping my wife and mother-in-law out with handyman duties and cooking, but I am now regularly found in the office.

I have been a teacher for over 15 years during which time I have held a variety of positions including House Master at a local prep school. I now work part time teaching Science, Latin and Sport.

Fiona and I really enjoy seeing residents settle into life here at Hardwick House; making new friends, enjoying our home cooked meals and enjoying the varied activities program.

The lovely thing is that residents have choice over all aspects of their day. Some like to join in with everything, others appreciate time spent on a one to one basis.

Linda Morgan

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2015

I joined the Hardwick House Retirement Home team in 2015. I have worked in the care industry for over 35 years and I am an NVQ assessor and internal verifier up to level 4 diploma in Health and Social Care. My experience comes from working in Nursing homes and training companies, delivering health and social care diplomas and all mandatory training including dementia training to level 3.

I am the deputy manager and I am passionate that our residents receive exceptional person centered care. The whole team work hard to ensure that the highest standards of care are met. We have a varied activities program and I really enjoy helping the residents get the most out of the activities or spending time with them on a one to one if they prefer.

Hardwick House Retirement Home is a special place, one big happy family. Having the owners involved in the day to day running of the home means they are able to offer constructive support to residents, staff and families of residents. Everyone is valued.

Resident’s families and friends are encouraged to be part of the Hardwick House family and often join in with activities, events and special days. This all helps to make the transition from living alone to having 24 hour support an easier one.

Kate Burchett

Job Title: Activities coordinator

Joined: 2017

I joined the Hardwick House Retirement Home team in the Spring of 2017. This was a career change for me from teaching in a primary school. I am passionate about the high quality program of activities that we deliver on a monthly basis.

I use my experience in teaching to offer a varied and exciting program that is creative and unique, encompassing all types of activities to stimulate the mind, body and soul. Providing an interesting environment helps generate conversation and laughter that is at the heart of the home. We pride ourselves that all members of staff are here to help motivate and encourage but above all to listen to each individual resident’s needs to enable them to enjoy our activities or have one to one time.

Activities are an essential part of our daily life here at Hardwick House, you only have to hear the laughter or see the smiles to know that this is a happy home because of it.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hardwick House Retirement Home