Bannow Retirement Home

Quarry Hill, St Leonards-on-Sea TN38 0HG

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information

The home is admitting clients that have been screened, but all assessments will take place over the phone. We are closed to all visitors at present, due to the new lockdown. As soon as possible, we will continue to allow visitors within the home under strict guidelines which will be available on request from the home. These are limited to 30 mins to allow as many visits as possible during the day and are at set times throughout the day. When out of lockdown, viewings will be available by appointment. These arrangements are reviewed daily and will be suspended if there is a suspected case of Covid-19 or if a case is confirmed. We can forward a brochure via email. updated on Thursday 12th November 2020
Bannow Retirement Home is situated in St Leonards on Sea and specialises in caring for those with dementia.

Bannow is a fine Grade II listed Victorian house and was built in 1877. The home prides itself on providing round-the-clock care in a hotel type homely and friendly atmosphere.

All bedrooms are decorated to a high standard, some with a sea view. Residents are encouraged to furnish their room according to their wishes. All floors are accessible via the use of the lift.

The home has a lovely secure large mature garden which residents can enjoy on warm days.

Care Provided

• Type of Service
  • Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 26 Service Users

• Registered Care Categories*
  • Dementia
  • Old Age
  • Physical Disability
  • *Registered with regulator 'Care Quality Commission (CQC)' to provide these categories of care
  • Specialist Care Categories

Good to Know

• Person in charge
  • Angela White (Manager)
  • Admission Information
  • Pre-assessment carried out. Ages 65+.
  • Room Information

• Minibus or other transport
  • Near Public Transport
  • Own Furniture if required
  • Smoking not permitted
  • Television point in own room
  • Wheelchair access
  • Parking
  • Car park

9.1

Bannow Retirement Home has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.146) out of 10 based on reviews in the last 2 years. Over all time Bannow Retirement Home has 7 reviews with an Average Rating of 4.7 out of 5.

• 6
  • 1
Average Rating:  Average rating  5 out of 5

Having transferred to Bannow from another (not so caring) care home, the manager and her team went above and beyond to look after my father during his final week before he passed away. At very short notice the manager arranged for a special hospital bed to be installed and a hospice nurse to attend
my father.
Communication was excellent. As the situation unfolded I received regular update calls, and the manager made herself available to me whenever I needed.
My father was made as comfortable as possible and was shown kindness, love and compassion by everyone who was involved with his care.
I’m so thankful Dad got to spend his final days at Bannow and I can’t thank the manager and her team enough for everything they did for him.

Reply from Angela White, Manager at Bannow Retirement Home

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to support your father in such difficult circumstances. I will pass these comments on to the staff.

Average Rating:  Average rating  5 out of 5

My mother has Alzheimer's and has been cared for at Bannow for the last three years. I live in the US and am able to visit only periodically. I telephone each week and the staff go out of their way to make sure that my mother can hear and understand me on the phone, which she is not always capable of
doing, but the staff are patient and encouraging. When I do visit, the atmosphere at Bannow is a happy and helpful one; residents are always engaged in some activity or interest to suit their abilities. Bannow is clean and above all, does not smell as one walks in the front door! The manager is always ready to answer questions or let me know if some mishap has occurred with my mother and what has been done to help her. Finding Bannow was the best thing I have done for my mother and has allowed our family to rest easy, knowing that our mother is cared for and loved.

Average Rating:  Average rating  4.3 out of 5

I am a relative of a resident at this care facility. Since his arrival at Bannow, I have been to visit many times and I have found that I have always come away thinking that this a great place to be. The building is a gorgeous Victorian building, with lots of communal space; it has a nice day room and
dining room, as well as a charming library for residents to sit, read and enjoy the quiet. Moreover, I have visited on Sundays and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the residents sitting down for a roast dinner. As for his room, it is a spacious room with a pleasant view which is kept clean and tidy. Having originally been at a different care home which was run very poorly, his mental state has colossally improved since being moved to Bannow. I think the homely feel of the building, combined with the very friendly and helpful staff has ensured this as a lovely place for him to be.

Reply from Angela White, Manager at Bannow Retirement Home

Thank you for your comments, I will pass these on to all the staff.

Average Rating:  Average rating  4.5 out of 5

My father has been at Bannow for over 2 years now and has been reasonably happy for someone in his condition (he has dementia). It is a nice large house with a (secure) garden for the residents where my father has his own private room, but also many communal areas in which he can be social. He arrived
confused and very angry, and I have seen nothing but patience in the staff, both with his temperament and condition and helping me get things arranged as I live over 4 hours drive away from where he is. The staff are always in the communal areas, not just attending to needs, but chatting to and keeping the resident's company. They've been good in letting me know when dad needs stuff or when they need to make decisions around his care and why.

Reply from Angela White, Manager at Bannow Retirement Home

Thank you I will pass your comments onto staff.

Average Rating:  Average rating  4.6 out of 5

I am extremely happy with the care given in Bannow. The staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly and I have no concerns that my father is being looked after and cared for. We are never made to feel unwelcome when we visit and the staff are great with the residents. Such a difference compared to
my father's previous care home. We are happy to have found Bannow and most importantly my father is so relaxed and happy there.

Reply from Angela White, Manager at Bannow Retirement Home

Thank you for your review.

Average Rating:  Average rating  4.5 out of 5

I moved my partner into Bannow last July for respite care initially. I was extremely hesitant about placing him in care as he had had a very bad experience prior to this home.
I had, in fact, removed him from the first care home and had him at home for several months. When his health dictated that
he should go back into care, myself and the social workers spent weeks checking out places. We settled on Bannow - so pleased we did. My friend is settled and happy and the atmosphere is relaxed and calm. There's a lovely library which is his haven.

Reply from Angela White, Manager at Bannow Retirement Home

Thank you for these comments I will ensure these are passed on to the staff.

Average Rating:  Average rating  5 out of 5

I was beside myself, my dad 88 years who had suffered with pneumonia in December then after a few weeks in hospital he had lost his mobility and independence. It seemed so alarming to have another look out for my dad in a place I did not know, after the initial visit it still seemed very hard to deal
with. I have since been many times at all times of day on all days, I have got to know the staff and routines and through this I have been able to take a step back to look at the building, staff, the running and support to the residents, cleanliness of buildings and residents, this enabled me to relax in the knowledge of my dad is in good hands. I found that not only his needs were catered for on the daily basis but they had a lovely lady who comes every weekday with the sole purpose of finding and supplying things to do with entertainment also included.
I'm now in a position to feel I can stop worrying about dad, with so many other background duties to do as well as my own to sort.

Reply from Angela White, Manager at Bannow Retirement Home

Thank you for your kind comments.

Current Review Score:

9.1

Number of Reviews Published in last 12 months: 1

Days Since last Review Published: 268 days (04 June 2020)

Overview of Review Score

The Review Score of 9.1 (9.146) out of 10 for Bannow Retirement Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 5 Reviews in the last 24 months.

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 24 months.

Detailed Breakdown of Review Score

The maximum Review Score for a Care Home is 10, which is made up of Average Rating of Reviews (maximum of 5 points) and Number of Reviews (maximum of 5 points) in the last 24 months:

• a) 5 Points are available for the Average Rating of all Reviews in the last 24 months. For each review the Care Home / service is rated Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Poor or Very Poor on a number of areas eg Staff, Management etc. The Care Home receives points for each rating as follows: Excellent = 5. Good = 4. Satisfactory = 3. Poor = 2. Very Poor = 1. These points are added up and then divided by the total number of completed ratings to generate the average rating.

The Average Rating of 4.684 for Bannow Retirement Home is calculated as follows: ( (39 Excellents x 5) + (18 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 57 Ratings = 4.684

• b) 5 Points are available for the number of Positive Reviews in the last 24 months. A Positive Review is defined as any Review with 'Extremely Likely' or 'Likely' in answer to the question 'How likely are you to recommend this care provider to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment?'

The 4.462 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Bannow Retirement Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 24 months and is calculated as per below:

• i) 4 points are available for the first 10 Positive Reviews in the last 24 months; 3 points for the first Positive Review, and then 0.125 Points for each of the next four Positive Reviews and then 0.1 Points for the next five Positive Reviews. (1st = 3.000, 2nd = 0.125, 3rd = 0.125, 4th = 0.125, 5th = 0.125, 6th = 0.100, 7th = 0.100, 8th = 0.100, 9th = 0.100, 10th = 0.100) 3 + 0.125 + 0.125 + 0.125 + 0.125 = 3.5

• ii) 1 point is available for the number of Positive Reviews reaching 20% of the registered maximum number of service users in the last 24 months. If this number is partially reached, then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home registered for a maximum of 50 service users has to reach 10 Positive Reviews to receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews it will receive 0.7 points. 20% of the 26 registered maximum number of service users is 5.2. 5 Positive Reviews ÷ 5.2 = 0.962

• If a Care Home does not have a review in the last 24 months. then it will not have a Review Score.

Submit a Review for Bannow Retirement Home

• Before publication, we check that all reviews comply with our Review Policy and we show all reviews to care providers. It can take up to 30 days for a review to be published or deemed non-compliant.

Please provide your details as we may contact you to verify this review. The review MUST be input and submitted by you, using your own personal email address(the email of the care provider will not be accepted). Reviews cannot be submitted anonymously. Your details may be passed to the care provider or to its service provider handling reviews but not to any other third party. They will not be published.

This information will be published on the website, the care provider website and potentially on selected websites/social media.

Your review must be about a service provided within the last 12 months.

Reviews comments must comply with our Review Policy Content Standards.
Please do not use names (job titles / positions are acceptable) of any individual or identifying features, abusive remarks, or allegations of negligence or criminal activity.
Please enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

Performance

Care Quality Commission (CQC) Rating

Overall
Good

• Caring

Good
  • Effective

Good
  • Responsive

Good
  • Safe

Good
  • Well-led

Good

Care Quality Commission is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in England.

View Latest Report

Awards / Recognitions (0)

Staff Profiles (0)