Beech Hurst

Butlers Green Road, Haywards Heath RH16 4DA

Beech Hurst is a versatile nursing facility that looks after elderly and frail residents, some with mental health complications that can include dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

This Care UK home is situated in Haywards Heath, an ideal location for those looking to enjoy their retirement whilst having access to local amenities and many local attractions to visit thanks to the home's dedication to encourage a fit, healthy and enjoyable lifestyle.

Alternative therapies, such as physiotherapy and chiropody, are available to residents, as are many in-house entertainments, often through collaboration with local schools and church groups.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Fiona Wiederkeher (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Beech Hurst: click here

The Review Score of 7.9 (maximum of 10) for Beech Hurst is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Beech Hurst in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.8 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.192 for Beech Hurst is calculated as follows: ( (49 Excellents x 5) + (59 Goods x 4) + (20 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 130 Ratings = 4.192

The 3.75 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Beech Hurst is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.250

7.9 Beech Hurst has a Review Score of 7.9 (7.942) from 11 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Beech Hurst?

Reviewer Connection to Beech Hurst

Since my Mothers arrival at Beech Hurst improvements have been implemented and observed in respect of quality of care, personal security, health provision, catering and activities. All staff seem friendly welcoming and attentive to needs. I feel that my Mother is in a safe environment, regular Doctors visits, one-to-one attention at meal times (staggered approach). Over satisfied with the care provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Likely

I am very happy about the home. The staff care and look after my aunt very well.
My aunt is very difficult and they are very good with her.
My only problem is my aunt does not like water and though she is kept clean, will not have her hair washed which upset me as I cannot make her.
The staff have tried to get around her but to no avail.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Extremely Likely

For the very short time my mother stayed here she was cared for in an exemplary manner. The staff were all so kind, caring, professional and nothing was too much. I am so pleased that mum ended her last few days at Beech Hurst knowing that she passed with such care and consideration.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Extremely Likely

Home was clean and homely. Staff were excellent and greeted on entering the home and kept informed on residents progress etc. Personal attention to residents by staff. Good food. Look appetising and nicely presented.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Likely

Excellent care for our mother in the last month of her life.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Extremely Likely

I have recently visited a patient friend of mine in Beech Hurst. On arrival, I entered the door code to get in. I was greeted by the manager welcoming me to the home. There was an option of stairs or lift. On the first floor, there was another door code to be entered to gain access to the rooms, which were clean and tidy. My friend appeared happy and contented. The staff were both kind and professional to both myself and the patient, nothing was to much trouble. When I visited on a number of occasions was offered tea and cake. Overall a very nice home.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Extremely Likely

My father was in Beech Hurst Nursing Home for just over 1 year. He suffered from Alzheimer's disease and had no real understanding of time or place. He was also incapable of looking after his own daily needs. He died there. The caring provided by the staff was excellent, he was always clean and shaved. They fed him without forcing. They kept me informed of his general state of health, and it was possible to visit at any time.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Extremely Likely

Generally satisfied by my mum's care during her spell at the home between February 2014 - October 2015. As mum required a rig tube for feeding, water and medication - her needs were dementia specialised. Staff were generally friendly, attentive and had a pleasant, approachable manner.
Nursing care generally at a good standard, with mum's particular needs catered for. Management always ready to listen to relatives' points at view, and frequently acted upon. Overall mum was fairly relaxed and happy in her surroundings - I originally had hoped to get her home with a live in care - and counted many of the staff as her friends. A nice team with a caring manager.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Likely

My dad has lived at Beech Hurst Home for around six months now. He has Alzheimer's and had a bad fall and is unable to walk or move very much without assistance. They use a hoist to move him from bed to bathroom to a chair. For a man who was very active and a incredibly proud man, living like this is so tough for him. However, the staff here are wonderful to my dad. They never treat him with anything other than the utmost respect, chat and laugh with him and make him feel special. The management never fail to assist whenever we talk to them. A great home.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Extremely Likely

The staff were all very kind and helpful and made us feel welcome, so we enjoyed our 'respite' stay of two weeks. At present we feel we are not quite ready for a care home as we would like to retain some independence for as long as possible, but we found the experience very useful in understanding what it would be like to live there permanently.

How likely would you be to recommend Beech Hurst? Likely

Compared to previous care home - the whole experience was absolutely the best for Dad. Staff were professional, attentive, never too busy and even sought me out with updates upon my arrival. My personal wish to feed Dad was encouraged and I was permitted to help myself to milk and feeder cups from the kitchen/dining area at all times (quite evident from the previous care home that this was strictly out of bounds) which was important as it was very hot and during that time he was no longer eating solid food. It was a case of feeding/drinking whilst the going was good and no member of staff could be on this 24/7 but always upon leaving, I was given the reassurance by staff that a meal would be tried again a bit later.

It was an upsetting experience in visiting and Beechurst cared about me too; staff always offered tea on arrival, sometimes getting it themselves or there was a very clear system of where to go and request further refreshments. Any long visits I was always offered the courtesy of something to eat. One particular member of staff made it her business to know all of our names from family photographs present, and being of a large family this was very endearing and comforting. This person also called upon the GP to visit immediately when she was unable to give me a confident prognosis - I respected that an answer on how long Dad had got could not be given by anyone and would have accepted this, but it was a very caring act none the less to do this and receive the GP's support and opinion formally.

I liked the secure dementia environment very much as it was both professional (with so many health and safety measures to maintain) but with a common sense approach to visitors. We could still have some personal control and involvement with Dad's care which meant a great deal to me throughout. I was also grateful to be advised against certain requests if they were not in Dad's best interests - this was handled firmly, kindly and gently.

I have already recommended Beechurst to a friend whose Mother is reaching another concerning stage with her Alzheimers.

I cannot express how grateful I am to the entire staff for making such a difficult time so peaceful throughout.

Thank you.

Submit a Review for Beech Hurst

December 2017

Soonita Shaw

Joined: 2014

I joined Care UK in May 2014, and took up the post of home manager at Beech Hurst in March 2015, having previously been home manager at Mill View. Before joining Care UK I managed a care home for another residential care provider. I’ve worked in the care industry for 21 years and hold a Registered Managers Award and a Diploma in Health and Social Services Management.

For me, a good home manager needs plenty of patience, strong communication skills and empathy. Our main focus is to support residents to have a good quality of life, maintain their independence and ensure they live in a lovely environment. Spending time listening and chatting to residents is a very rewarding part of my role and I get a great buzz knowing that I make a difference to their lives.

When I’m not working I enjoy spending time with my husband Richard and children Emily and Jonathan. The children are still quite young and as a family we enjoy swimming and visiting places of interest.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Beech Hurst