Thornbank, Ipswich, Suffolk

Thornbank, a residential and dementia care home in Ipswich, aims to offer high-quality care to older people in a friendly environment, which respects residents’ dignity and personal choices.

The home is located near Ipswich town centre and opposite the beautiful Christchurch Park.

The majority of the team have been working at Thornbank for many years, delivering the highest standards of care in a warm, safe environment.

Thornbank offers spacious single bedrooms and two double bedrooms, the majority of which are en-suite.

Fun activities include trips out to local places of interest using the home’s minibus. Delicious meals are available with dietary requirements catered for.

Group: Greensleeves Care

Person in charge: Samantha Curran (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 33 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Czech, Spanish; Castilian, Polish, Romanian, Slovene

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Thornbank: click here

posted 06 Nov 2017

en-suite rooms available

8.2 Thornbank has a Review Score of 8.2 (8.232)

The Review Score of 8.2 (maximum of 10) for Thornbank is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Thornbank in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.6 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.679 for Thornbank is calculated as follows: ( (92 Excellents x 5) + (36 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 131 Ratings = 4.679

The 3.553 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Thornbank is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 6.6 positive Reviews (33 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 6.6 Target = 0.303

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Thornbank?

Reviewer Connection to Thornbank

My mother resided at Thornbank for 3 years. The experience was one in which the whole of our family was part of the care provided. After my mother died, as a family, we continued to visit the friends, carers and residents on a regular basis. Thornbank has become a 'friend for life'. The care provided has always been for the whole family and the residents of Thornbank. We are indebted to doing so in response to the outstanding care mum received.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

First class in all departments.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

Our Mum moved into Thornbank for respite care after a prolonged and difficult hospital stay. We were very reticent about taking this step but the manager listened carefully to our concerns regarding Mum's needs. She quickly and realistically assessed Mum and made arrangements for her to come to Thornbank in a very short time scale.
The home says that dignity and independence of the residents are paramount. We can only echo this. On many occasions, we witnessed the staff going the extra mile and at all times treating the residents with good-natured dignity and respect.
Thornbank gave our family our Mum back and for this, we will always be grateful. We would recommend this care home without reservation.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

I am so pleased that my father was lucky enough to live at Thornbank last October. He still thoroughly enjoys the care and support he is given on a daily basis. There is a homely amenable atmosphere. There are many interesting activities. The staff go out fo their way to help the residents. Special thanks to the member of staff who picked my dad up from his granddaughter's wedding - along with an elderly couple in their 80's, and returned them all home - all in her own time late on a Saturday evening. Marvellous. Well done to the manager and her dedicated staff. Keep it up!

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

My 97-year-old mother had a very bad fall while my wife and I were away in California visiting our daughter. My mother fractured her right femur but was soon medically fit for discharge. She could not go to convalesce in the local NHS place as her leg was not weight bearing. I liaised with Thornbank from California. They visited my mother in the hospital, assessed my mother and made ready an appropriate room for her at Thornbank. They organised her transfer securely and sensitively - we were unable to return directly as my daughter's husband walked out on her two days later. Very, very grateful to Thornbank.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

My wife is living with vascular dementia with Alzheimer's. she spent a week at Thornbank in respite care. All the staff were extremely caring, helped her with personal care and included her in appropriate activities throughout the week. My wife settled quickly, enjoyed her time there and was happy to have stayed longer. I cannot speak too highly of the care provided. Staff also found time to record briefly, in a 'day book; what my wife had been doing each day, so that I stood a chance of talking with her about her stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at Thornbank for 3-4 months now and I am so relieved to have found a care home that actually 'CARES' for my mother with much understanding and patience. She is always clean and contented for which I am extremely thankful to the care staff. Her room is always (without exception) clean and tidy as are the communal dining and sitting areas. All the staff are bright and cheerful and as helpful with any query as they can possibly be.
After the dreadful experiences of her previous two care homes we are, as a family, more than pleased, thankful and relieved that we have found Thornbank. The manageress is a bright gregarious character full of life and you couldn't wish her to be more helpful and business like!

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

We needed to find residential care for my mother-in-law urgently, on contacting the manager it was clear that she would do all she could to help us. So re-assuring and, indeed, by the end of that day she had visited my mother-in-law to carry out an assessment of her needs and confirmed Thornbank would be delighted to care for her. Sadly my mother-in-law's time at Thornbank was short but I cannot praise the staff enough for the care, respect, love and attention they showed her. Nothing was too much trouble and all the staff, the cleaners, the kitchen staff, the carers and the management were an absolute delight and very dedicated. Truly a family atmosphere. Thornbank staff made my mother-in-law's last days comforting and safe, and our family will be forever grateful for the warmth and friendship given to all of us.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

I was a temporary resident after breaking my ankle, unable to stay at home on my own.
the staff deserve the highest praise for their unfailing care and help in all things, their friendliness and courtesy.
Despite my short stay staff I felt I was among friends rather than just 'a ship passing in the night'. The management arranged and accompanied me to all my hospital appointments. The food, though well cooked, could do with more variety. But then, I am used to continental cooking, rather than 'plain English'.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Likely

My mum has been a resident a Thornbank for nearly four years. Recently she passed away and I wanted to say how grateful we are for the care she received. Suffering from dementia, mum wasn't able to express her wishes in a direct way but staff seemed to understand all her needs. As a residential care home and not a nursing home, they exceeded my expectations during her final weeks.
Their experience and help coupled with the right equipment allowed her to remain in the comfort of her own room until the end.
As a close relative, I found their knowledge and guidance invaluable at a difficult time.

How likely would you be to recommend Thornbank? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law has been at Thornbank for two months. We are incredibly happy with the home and care she is receiving. Thornbank is truly like one big family. There is always someone to ask about her care and we get regular updated about her mood, ability and well being. The atmosphere in the home is positive, warm and welcoming.

Submit a Review for Thornbank

Date: Friday 01 Feb 2013

Samantha

Samantha Curran

Joined: 2016

Hello my name is Samantha Curran and I’m the Manager of Thornbank in Ipswich, the home overlooks Christchurch park. My team of staff and I, aim to provide a friendly and happy house for our residents, their families and friends.

Supporting each individual resident to fulfil their needs, involving them with decision making in and around the home.

Thornbank residents and staff have formed very strong friendships and links within the surrounding community and enjoy taking part in a variety of different activities, at the home and outside of it.

I believe that communication, listening and responding is the key to a warm friendly and happy environment, this is why I have an open door approach for residents, staff and families. Holding regular residents, relatives and staff meetings.

Being well informed assists my team and I with maintaining a happy and homely atmosphere.”

Shakespeare Quotes

Likes: 24 Views: 1261

Posted: 16 Nov 2016