Avonwood Manor

31/33 Nelson Road, Branksome, Poole BH12 1ES

Avonwood Manor Nursing Home is warm and welcoming, situated in a leafy residential road close to the picturesque Dorset countryside and the beautiful town of Poole.

The home offers a friendly environment and a compassionate approach to the personal care and attention of older people and people with dementia, giving them a real quality of life in a homely caring atmosphere.

All the team undertake regular, on-going and continuing professional development to ensure the highest possible standards are maintained.

Group: Beritaz Care

Person in charge: Chris Walsh (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Borough of Poole Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 49 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Asperger Syndrome • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £750 – £1250 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Avonwood Manor to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Close to Local shops • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Large car park

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Avonwood Manor: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Avonwood Manor is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Avonwood Manor in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.374 for Avonwood Manor is calculated as follows: ( (148 Excellents x 5) + (125 Goods x 4) + (30 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 305 Ratings = 4.374

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Avonwood Manor is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.8 positive Reviews (49 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 9.8 Target Reached = 1

9.4 Avonwood Manor has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.374) from 26 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Avonwood Manor?

Reviewer Connection to Avonwood Manor

Since my mother went into Avonwood Manor she feels happy, safe, secure, well looked after and cared for. I find all the staff extremely kind, considerate and very attentive.
The residents are gently encouraged to join in the varied and numerous activities on offer. There is always a lovely friendly atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

As my husband has only been with you five weeks, unfair for me to comment. My only request is a TV Ariel in his room.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Likely

After struggling to find a suitable care home for my mum, I eventually found Avonwood Manor. I found the management and staff to be very understanding and friendly, always ready to give their time and answer any questions or queries that I may have had. Unfortunately, mym was only there for a short time but she was well looked after and encouraged with daily tasks.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

As a family, we have always found the management and all the staff polite and helpful.
If you need assistance at any time, they are always there for you.

Activities are excellent. They have card games, singing and the residents who can participate make Easter hats and Christmas decorations. The residents who are unable are given one to one time every day.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Pleasant staff. Always clean and tidy. Mealtimes it seems not enough staff helping to feed residents on the weekend. Other than that, all seem OK.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Avonwood Manor have looked after my dad well since he moved in. His room does not seem very clean sometimes, especially his toilet. There does not seem enough staff at weekends, or anyone to talk to about his care. Not much feedback received.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Unlikely

If you are unfortunate to have a loved one with the torturous disease "Dementia" and have been to hell and back in its journey - I feel fortunate and thankful to have my mother in a wonderful environment in Avonwood Manor.

The staff from the top - the manager who has compassion, sincerity and time and kindness not only for the residents but families also, is echoed down throughout the whole staff. They all give unconditional love and attention and no problem goes unsolved. Words can't express my gratitude and they will stay in my heart forever.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I try to visit my husband as often as possible but unfortunately, I have been in hospital for a long while so I have not been able to visit very often. As my husband likes to stay in bed, I do not seem much of the home but what I do see seems to be fine. He appears to be content and that is all that matters really.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Don't know

I visit Avonwood every three weeks to bring 'Books on Wheels' to residents who have requested this service.
The staff are extremely helpful and obviously very caring. The resident's privacy is well respected.
the communal rooms are very pleasant. I particularly like that the lounge has no TV, so those who want can sit there in peace and quiet!
The staff employed to coordinate activities are to be commended.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Avonwood Manor has provided a safe, caring and stimulating place for my step-mother for 14 months. The staff work extremely hard to ensure she is appropriately well looked after and are always aware of her social, medical and comfort needs. The environment is happy and relaxed.

The senior staff are excellent at communicating about my step-mother's well-being, never hesitating to raise issues and invite me to participate in care plans etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I have visited my friend many times and have found all the staff very friendly and helpful and very patient under difficult circumstances, top marks

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Right from the assessment, my family knew our Father could not be in better hands. He came for palliative care, and the whole team supported my Father with genuine, dignity, compassion and professionalism. Can't recommend or thank Avonwood Manor enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I feel resident of the home is well looked after, as ticked below.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I cannot praise Avonwood Manor enough for everything they have done for my father in his transition from his own home to the care home. He is happy, well cared for and always looks clean and tidy. I am also kept informed of any changes immediately.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I cannot thank the staff enough for the patience and kindness they show to my husband. He looks well kempt and clean shaven. He appears content, although now he sometimes does not know who I am. The staff were very kind and thoughtful to us on our recent 72nd wedding anniversary and gave us a cake and cards. I am always made very welcome when I visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Staff are very good, I find they are very caring and always will do their best to help my husband. Although I will say that the staffing level at weekends is very poor.
On the whole, the care delivered is very good but sometimes there can be a wait to help my husband because of a shortage of staff!

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I find this Nursing Home is very good mostly! If you have a worry you can always ask any of the staff. Also, the home is really good and the staff are kind to my husband. That, in turn, makes me happy when I go home. The food they give to the residents is excellent and fair portions. Cleaning is very good every day or more the sheets are changed nad I know that my husband is ok there. No worries really, my only concern is that my husband can't tell me if he's hurting or not. We as a family, daughter and three sons are reasonably happy with the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Likely

My mother is in Avonwood after a prolonged stay in hospital with problems all due to severe dementia. I am pleased she is here as the staff seem to be very kind, and are always happy to help. Nothing seems to be too much trouble, it seems to be a happy place. Mum seems to have settled in here well. Nice place, nice location, nice people.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Avonwood Manor is a beautiful and caring nursing and dementia home. My dad has been here a year now following a stroke he had in hospital! I knew from the moment I set "foot" in this home, myself and my family had made the right decision for him to stay here. My dad has had numerous medical problems since being here and his dementia is the cause of these but the staff go "out of their way" to keep us informed and they explain everything to us whenever we go to visit dad! My family visit regularly, we are always asked if "we would like a cuppa" and they have regular family meetings where we discuss any problems. I cannot praise this home enough I know my dad is being looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I regularly take my father out of the home for lunch. I always ask staff before the day if my father could be clean shaved and smartly dressed which they do most of the time, but for some reason his hair is always messy and greasy. I just wish they would wash his hair twice a week.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Likely

Nothing really to say it's all good.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Likely

It's a pretty good place. I haven't heard a bad word said about it here. Can't think of anything bad.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Nothing to say apart from its very good. Staff are very understanding and very caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

Dad has been here nearly 2 years he is very settled and loves all of the staff who are so kind to him. The manager is always helpful and available. Would recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Extremely Likely

I'm very pleased to be here.

How likely would you be to recommend Avonwood Manor? Likely

My mother-in-law moved to Avonwood Manor at Easter. We have been very happy with all aspects of her care. All the staff are wonderful, understanding and helpful. If we have had any questions they have been dealt with promptly. The home has a lovely friendly atmosphere and the residents are encouraged to join in the activities that are arranged for them throughout the week. Mum's health has improved since she moved in and she has settled well.

Mum moved to Avomwood after it was recommended by the family of another resident. We visited several homes but felt Avonwood would be the best for Mum.

Submit a Review for Avonwood Manor

posted 21 May 2018

We have two rooms available in this residential care home which specialises in providing quality care to older people in a warm and friendly environment. You may visit at any time, although if you would like to meet the manager we suggest you contact us in advance (01202 763183)

November 2016

Manager of the Year Care Home 2016

Recipient: Beritaz Care

Date: Friday 18 Nov 2016

Chris

Chris Walsh

Job Title: Manager

Chris leads a skilled and professional team delivering consistently high quality care. Avonwood Manor Nursing Home, part of Beritaz Care is a forward thinking and dynamic company offering real career opportunities for anyone for a passion for Care.
We're always pleased to hear from outstanding and warm individuals wishing to join our team. There is a good range of benefit as well as support to develop your career. See our jobs page for more information.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Avonwood Manor